The equation

Relay of the Heart

Wandering throughout the hallway Jinsoul stares at the tiny cake in her hand. She particularly didn’t like cake but she knew Sooyoung did...she hopes that she’s not weirded out that it’s a prom proposal cake.  

 

Jinsoul had let Jungeun down easily, she had declined the proposal and gave the shorter girl a hug to compensate for the rejection. Jungeun seemed very upset but Jinsoul couldn’t help it. She could only think of Sooyoung.  

 

Of course she found Jungeun cute but she couldn’t even began to compare her to Sooyoung.   

 

The latter was just so…  

 

Cute. Charming. Sweet. Undeniably perfect.

 

Maybe it was because Jinsoul was lowkey in love with her. Jungeun was great for the most part it was just wrong timing, now Jinsoul really couldn’t see herself without anyone other than Sooyoung, the thought fills her tummy with butterflies.  

 

Skipping a bit she doesn’t care if she looks like an idiot. She liked Sooyoung so much. Jinsoul was getting impatient trying to find her.  

 

It was just her luck as soon as someone actually likes her...Sooyoung out of all people. She gets attention, why was she getting all this attention? Jinsoul shakes her head, teenage affairs were hard. Sooyoung however was very easy to be around. 

 

Jungeun seemed a bit dramatic which was a pet peeve of Jinsoul’s. 

 

Another pet peeve of Jinsoul’s was snobby Australian accents. “Hello loser.” 

 

Being stopped in her tracks Jinsoul wants to slam the cake in Rose’s face, “ello lourve.” Snorting at her attempt to sound like the girl in front of her, Rose sneers in disgust.  

 

“I don’t sound like that!” 

 

Jinsoul shakes her head, “yes you do.” 

 

Rose rolls her eyes and crosses her arms, “whatever geek-eyed I came her to tell you something.” Jinsoul raises her brow at the aggressive tone and insult. Did she just call me… “something very important!” 

 

Jinsoul looks around them when Rose pauses. Was she going to tell her or just smile at her like that. “Sooyoung is mine.”  

 

“We’ve went over this Rose I literally made out with her several times yesterday.”  

 

“It doesn’t matter...wait what?” 

 

Jinsoul smiles when Rose’s conniving smile drops, “yup! She’s such an amazing kiss god I could just…” Jinsoul sighs out just thinking of how great of a first kiss she had. Sooyoung’s lips were like pillows and she was so so dreamy and it was kinda y but at the same time very cute-

 

“I can take her from you if I wanted you know that right!?” Jinsoul is pulled out of her day dreaming. She’ll think about how pretty Sooyoung is later. Right now she just needed to get Australian Barbie out of her face. 

 

Jinsoul frowns, “awe you’re kinda making me sad…” Rose is shaking now and it reminds her of a chihuahua.  

 

Smiling since she’s winning a frown quickly replaces it when Rose spits out, “she saw you and Jungeun, you’re gonna be real sad when she breaks it off with you because she thinks you’re two timing her.” Oh  

 

Sooyoung saw all that? Jinsoul rejected her but...it could easily be seen as  Jinsoul needed to find her and explain everything to her.  

 

Thankfully she doesn’t have to find her because she’s right behind Rose. Sooyoung’s expression is unreadable and she breaks eye contact she makes with Jinsoul. Rose seems to notice the change in confidence in Jinsoul and turns around, “BABY!!!”   

 

Jinsoul gets sick to her stomach when Rose screams out so sweetly and annoyingly before wrapping her hands around Sooyoung’s shoulders. Jinsoul gets even more nauseous when Sooyoung glares in her direction. Oh god what if Rose was telling the truth 

 

She hasn’t had Sooyoung look at her in this way ever...her gaze always held this familiar gentleness. Jinsoul tears up, already afraid she’s messed up the best thing that’s ever happened to her in highschool.

  

Jinsoul smiles but it makes her eyes water even more. “I was just telling Jinhoe that you’re mine and she needed to back off. You know she’s going to prom with Jungeun right? How could she cross you like that?” Jinsoul goes to protest, she wanted to rip Rose’s head off but Sooyoung beats her to it. 

 

“You said yes?” Sooyoung is staring right into her eyes and Jinsoul can hear the pain in her voice. Jealousy runs through her veins from how Rose is clinging onto Sooyoung.

 

Why was this even happening? 

 

Rose grabs Sooyoung’s jaw to bring her stare back to her, “she did! But it’s okay baby you have me now!” Jinsoul thinks it’s truly over because she watches Sooyoung smile at Rose. She smiles at Rose. Sooyoung told her that she was the only reason she smiled. Jinsoul guesses that was a lie, because Sooyoung was smiling at Rose. Hanging her head low she accepts defeat. 

 

You’re the only reason I smile. 

 

Of course the prettier and cooler girl won over her. How silly was Jinsoul to think she could ever win over someone like Rose...she was even named after a flower. A flower for love out of it all. She lost to a named Rose.  

 

Jinsoul doesn’t want to cry, she doesn’t understand. How magical as yesterday day was when Sooyoung poured her feelings to her, straight out of her heart. Then kissed her so affectionately. That kiss meant everything to her, that smile, those words. 

 

Sooyoung meant everything to her.  

 

What a nightmare, “do you think I’m dumb?” It’s Sooyoung’s voice and it’s in the same tone when she’s angry. Jinsoul has heard it before but it’s never been directed towards her. It’s over. Sooyoung is mad and she’s gonna hate me and go back to Rose and everything that’s happened will just be a dream. 

 

This is so sick.   

 

“W-what?” It’s Rose’s voice and she sounds confused. Jinsoul looks up and expected Sooyoung to be looking at her but she’s staring at Rose. 

 

“Girl get off me already damn!” Sooyoung squirms out of the girl’s embrace and shivers once she’s out like she had the heebie jeebies. Sooyoung then takes a deep breath and glares at Rose. “You think I’m dumb.” 

 

Rose shakes her head, “of course not I-.” 

 

“I know you had something to do with Jungeun asking Jinsoul to prom.” Rose’s jaw drops and so does Jinsoul’s. Wait a damn minute . “You really think I’m stupid.” Sooyoung had asked around if anyone had seen Rose and Jungeun together. Thankfully Jungwoo who knew absolutely everything going on in this school said he spotted them making out under the stairwell...yesterday.  

 

Sooyoung had smiled and went her merry way until finding Rose and Jinsoul in an argument. Sooyoung was still salty that Jinsoul had even gave Jungeun attention. But she certainly wasn’t going to just drop her for something as trivial as that (even if Jinsoul had said yes and went to prom with Jungeun she’d only fight for her back), she was obsessed with Jinsoul. She would be stupid to let the girl of her dreams slip through her fingers.

 

Taking the cake out of Jinsoul’s hand she frowns at it. She’d have a word with Jungeun later for even trying to woo Jinsoul. Sooyoung has never been the jealous type. The girls who she messed around with were never loyal. Jinsoul has been the only one she’s been possessive over.   

 

Giving the cake to Rose she sighs, “please stop trying to hurt people Rose.” The girl who was angry just a moment ago softens her features as the cake is placed gently into her hands. “I’m disappointed that you’ve come to this...also don’t call Jinsoul a hoe again or I won’t be so nice.” Sooyoung drops the sweet tone that makes Rose gulp a little forcibly. 

 

“If I catch you or anyone else ing with someone, just don’t okay?” Her mother has always told her to be kind no matter what. “Leave Jinsoul alone.” 

  

Today she would start taking up with people. Jinsoul was just the first person. For too long Rose and her minions have messed with people. Sooyoung didn’t want to see it anymore.   

 

Turning Sooyoung walks off from Rose, who was silently standing with the cake in her hands. Thinking of her actions. 

 

That’s the most Sooyoung has talked to me .

 

Jinsoul follows Sooyoung’s heels. “Sooyoung I’m so so sorry if I would have-“ Jinsoul chokes on her words when Sooyoung stops and gives her the worst look imaginable. Okay, so she was mad. Perfectly reasonable. Sooyoung wasn’t just mad at Jinsoul, she was mad a plenty of people. Which was rare, Sooyoung never lost her temper but she was just fed up with it all.   

 

Jinsoul figures she should just stay quiet, she doesn’t want Sooyoung to finally snap again like that day with Lucas.

 

Sooyoung starts walking again and Jinsoul stands there scared until her hand is grabbed and she’s pulled closer to Sooyoung.  

 

“Chemistry?”

 

Jinsoul blushes at Sooyoung’s deep tone, “y-yes.” The final bell rings and Jinsoul’s not even being pulled in the right direction.  

 

Instead she’s spun around shoved into a corner. Squeaking and curling into herself she blushes at Sooyoung’s sudden proximity, “I’m not mad at you.” Relaxing a bit at Sooyoung’s softer tone she looks up with an apologetic gaze. Sooyoung blushes as well and turns her head away from Jinsoul. “I’m...I guess I got jealous.”  

 

Jinsoul nods and gulps when Sooyoung turns back to her, “don’t entertain any or I will get mad.” The tone is back to being strict and Jinsoul tries to hold her breath when Sooyoung’s fingers come up to push her hair behind her ear. Sooyoung’s eyes were burning into her but she couldn’t look away. Although her blood was heating up she was frozen. 

 

Sooyoung’s touch ghosts down Jinsoul’s jawline until she presses the pad of her index finger and thumb to the girl’s chin making her tilt her face upwards. “I want you to be mine...only mine.” Jinsoul falls into the wall further, not really being able to stand up straight from how calm Sooyoung’s tone is. Closing her eyes she anticipates the kiss that never comes. Sooyoung was leaning in, her look was smouldering.  

 

But as soon as Jinsoul puckers up the girl is gone and she’s left looking stupid and late to class. 

 

Jinsoul gets scolded when she makes it. She should have just skipped. Since she couldn’t focus at all. Her insides felt like goo and all she could think off… 

 

Is how much chemistry there was between her and Sooyoung. 

 

~~~~ 

 

“What the hell am I gonna do! She hasn’t responded to any of my texts.” Jinsoul holds her head between her hands. She had texted Sooyoung three times after chemistry and she hasn’t seen the girl anywhere. She hasn’t had the chance to apologize.  

 

Heejin has her arms crossed and Jiwoo is pouting, “aw Jinsoul I’m sure she’s not mad!” Jiwoo comforts her with a sympathetic smile. 

 

“She’s big mad are you kidding? If she wasn’t Sooyoung would be here right now.” Heejin grumbles out and it makes Jinsoul flop onto the table. Sooyoung said she wasn’t mad so why was she avoiding her?  

 

Picking at her lunch she sighs, she had made one for Sooyoung too...

 

Heejin and Jiwoo start to argue for Jinsoul’s sake, Heejin saying that she should probably start praying for forgiveness and Jiwoo trying to convince Jinsoul it wasn’t that big of a deal. 

 

But it was a big deal. 

 

Jinsoul never wanted to make Sooyoung upset. No matter what. 

 

She always wanted to make her smile. 

 

~~~~

 

After being ghosted all day Jinsoul gives up and packs her things. She was supposed to meet Sooyoung after school, they talked about it on the phone last night. But Sooyoung had never showed. 

 

An hour of waiting had exhausted Jinsoul. The anxiety had gotten to her, now she just wanted to go home and cry.  

 

Dragging her feet she steps out of school and into the warm spring air. It’s so much nicer when Sooyoung was around. The weather seems to compliment the girl’s look.  

 

Sooyoung was pretty like the spring, warm, colorful, fresh.  

 

She smelled sweet just like the blooming flowers. Her skin was sun-kissed and her aura was gentle. Just like the spring showers however, she had this relaxing tone that sometimes made Jinsoul fall asleep just listening to her. 

 

But she’d pinch herself awake, just because Sooyoung was more interesting than the dreams she would have. 

 

Jinsoul stops and looks up at the floating clouds. She was love sick and the only cure was unattainable. Pouting she rubs her eyes making her glasses loose. 

 

Being clumsy as she is she pushes them off, letting them tumble to the ground. Jinsoul expects to hear the slight crash but it never comes. Instead she’s met with who was running through her mind almost constantly.  

 

Sooyoung raises up and holds the glasses out. Jinsoul stands in awe, the tired tear that had fell from her eye is wiped away by soft fingers. She blinks back into focus when Sooyoung adjusts her glasses back onto her face.  

 

“Goofy I’ve been waiting forever, did you get caught up with something?” Sooyoung asks her while her cheek. Jinsoul blushes at the gesture of affection and steps closer to Sooyoung. 

  

Jinsoul looks down when Sooyoung’s hand leaves her face, “I...yeah I was just finishing up something.” She didn’t want to tell Sooyoung she had been waiting.  

 

Sooyoung smiles at her and takes her by the hand. Their fingers entangled instantly and their hands sway between them. 

 

Everything seems normal, but something still eats at Jinsoul.  

 

Walking on the cracked sidewalks and casually turning whenever there was a driver they keep their silence. 

 

Sooyoung seems to be enjoying the faint breeze and Jinsoul is drowning in her thoughts. 

 

“Listen I…” 

 

“Jinsoul you don’t have to apologize for today.” Sooyoung mumbles out and gives her a sincere look. As if she were guilty of something. “You’re beautiful of course other people are going to like you.” Jinsoul blushes and turns her gaze to the worn down houses of the neighborhood.  

 

“It’s my fault for getting so jealous.” Jinsoul is reminded that Sooyoung is way too mature for her age. What 16 year old knows exactly what to say during these conversations. Jinsoul didn’t even know how to apologize. “You’re just too nice sometimes, when I wish you would have just shoved that cake up Jungeun’s , but I know don’t have a mean bone in ya body.” Jinsoul can’t help but giggle as Sooyoung huffs out. The girl was sensitive of course. But that’s one of the things Jinsoul loved about her. 

 

Love. What a strange feeling. 

 

When you even began to adore the flaws of one person. 

  

“I’m sorry, I feel like I should have just said no and left.” Jinsoul shakes her head. She should have known as soon as Jungeun walked up. She should have said sorry then. 

 

“No it’s fine, really.” Sooyoung argues. “It’s just I can’t help but want you all to myself.” As Jinsoul is tugged closer to the warm body, chills crawl down her spine. Something wavered inside her when she heard the possessive tone. Sooyoung only gives her a small smile that’s more like a grin and holds her close. 

 

Jinsoul swallows her wandering thoughts and snuggles against the girl despite the heat pouring from her. “But I’m sure it didn’t feel good when you saw all that.” Jinsoul’s voice is muffled by the fabric of Sooyoung’s shirt and she rubs her nose against it, taking in the smell of fresh laundry.  

 

Their steps fall into rhythm and Jinsoul finds comfort even when walking with Sooyoung. Their hands locked together and their hearts beat at the same time. 

 

“Do you want me to be honest?”  

 

Jinsoul spares a glance at Sooyoung who was already staring at her, “always.”  

 

The taller girl sighs and squeezes onto her hand, “it didn’t, but that’s okay.” Sooyoung mumbles out from her jumbled thoughts. 

 

Seeing Jinsoul with Jungeun wasn’t the most painful thing.  

 

“My stomach dropped, I felt nauseous all of a sudden.” Sooyoung relives the moment and thinking back it wasn’t as bad as her conscience made her believe. “It bothered me so much. I couldn’t stand it really.”   

 

“I didn’t know it would hurt.” 

 

Jinsoul brings her other hand up to Sooyoung’s arm and squeezes, “Sooyoung you know I wou-“

 

“That’s the thing, I didn’t have any doubt that you would say no. I trust you, a lot and I know you wouldn’t do anything to hurt me.” Sooyoung takes a deep breath. “It’s just scary, imagining if things were different. You know the thought of this...not being real.” It was more than scary. It was terrifying and it hurt Sooyoung in ways she didn’t think was possible. Staring at the girl beside her, her heart does triple time. Where would she be without Jinsoul? 

 

Would she be just the same?  

  

How would it feel if Jinsoul never liked her. What if their feelings weren’t mutual. Sooyoung swallowed down the thought of Jinsoul being with someone else. Her sharing this look with someone other than her. “I’m sorry I’m being stupid.” Sooyoung apologizes, never has she felt so out of control with someone. But she’s never been in control when it comes to romance, it’s just this time she notices it. Because now she questions everything she does, she only hopes her jealous behavior hasn’t turned Jinsoul away.   

 

“You’re not being stupid.” Sooyoung hums at Jinsoul words, urging her to continue. “It’s okay to feel this way.” Jinsoul stops them and makes Sooyoung turn towards her, “just don’t stop believing in me.” Sooyoung can’t help herself and leans forward to plant a short kiss on Jinsoul’s lips. When she pulls back she holds in a laugh from Jinsoul’s expression. 

 

It’s a mix of surprise and confusion.  

 

“I haven’t, I’m just sensitive I think. Today reminded me how much I was.” Sooyoung admits. 

 

I’m not scared of us or that you’ll hurt me. I just don’t like thinking of the What if’s that’s lead us to this point. 

 

If I wasn’t failing math. 

 

If you didn’t become my friend.

 

If you liked Kim Jungeun instead. 

  

But those were only if’s the is was that Jinsoul felt the same. Sooyoung leans down again to pull the girl in for a hug. They weren’t to Jinsoul’s home yet but Sooyoung really needed one at the moment. “I like you so much it’s driving me crazy.” Jinsoul giggles lightly before hugging her back. Sooyoung likes the way she feels in her arms, likes the way she smells of vanilla, likes the way she clings onto the back of her shirt.  

 

“I like you too Sooyoung more than you could imagine.” It’s all Sooyoung needed to hear to wash all the insecure thoughts away. She wonders if this was what Jinsoul was going through when she questioned if they were going to continue to be friends. Sooyoung thought it was absolute nonsense, but now she can see where Jinsoul was coming from.  

 

Her heart and mind were enemies. Never in agreement with each other.  

 

But talking to Jinsoul made her feel so much better. Here overthinking was brought to a stop. 

 

“I’m still going to talk to Jungeun tomorrow.” Jinsoul pushes her back with a scared look. “What? Don’t look at me like that.”  

 

Jinsoul shakes her head, “Sooyoung you’re really cute when your jealous but I think that’s a bad idea.” 

 

“Why?” 

 

The girl blinks at her and takes a finger to poke a swollen vein on Sooyoung’s neck, “because you look like you wanna strangle someone right now.”  

 

Sooyoung smirks, “and if I do?” She wouldn’t mind bodying Jungeun but Jinsoul seemed a bit skeptical of that. Sooyoung rolls her eyes when Jinsoul frowns, “okay fine I’ll wait.” The girl smiles then and clings to her waist, giving her a gentle stare. 

 

“Promise me you’re okay?” Sooyoung nods her head at Jinsoul. She was just fine. “And you’re not mad at me?” Sooyoung knots her eyebrows, why would she be mad at Jinsoul? The girl did nothing wrong, she was just all in her head.  

 

But Sooyoung was always up for teasing, “if I was? Would you make up for it.” Jinsoul gasps at her serious tone. Sooyoung keeps a straight face until she sees Jinsoul’s blush. When she breaks into a smile Jinsoul makes sure to slap her shoulder a little harder than usual.  

 

Still with a stinging shoulder, she thinks of how Jinsoul makes her the happiest girl in the world. 

 

Sooyoung decides to burn the negative thoughts right then and there. Because there was no reason to think of the other possibilities when her dream had already come true. 

 

When she already had something that was this real.

 

~~~~

 

Somehow Sooyoung manages to drag Jinsoul to the small shelter behind the basketball courts. The sound of kids shouting and bouncing balls in the background while more intimate ones take place between them.   

 

Jinsoul clings onto the collar of her shirt, trying to pull her impossibly closer. One of her hands rest on Jinsoul’s hip while the other is flat against the wall behind the girl. Sooyoung has Jinsoul’s glasses in her back pocket and she has her lips in between her teeth. 

 

Having Jinsoul pressed against the wall and hearing the small noises the girl definitely makes Sooyoung forget today and the small breakdown her mind had. Pulling back with a small gasp she breathes out, “I’m not actually mad at you.” Jinsoul still has her eyes closed and her head tilted up. Sooyoung barely holds hers open, a small smirk gracing her features. 

 

Jinsoul moves her hands from her collar to the back of her neck, “yeah...didn’t think so.” Jinsoul tries to kiss her again but Sooyoung stands up straighter and laugh when the girl groans and bounces on her toes. 

 

“I like how you don’t complicate things Jinsoul.” Sooyoung admits, somehow things felt so simple and easy with Jinsoul. Sooyoung likes how her pace matched with Jinsoul’s. “Thank you for listening…” Jinsoul stares at her. The girl’s black eyes twinkling with something Sooyoung couldn’t pinpoint. With fingers tickling at the back of her neck she falls into a daze where she can only focus on Jinsoul. 

 

Sooyoung emphasizes her words with one last kiss. She takes a breath from her nose as she deepens it earning a soft groan from the girl squished between her body and the wall. Sooyoung breaks it creating a small popping noise and she takes her thumb to wipe the spit off Jinsoul’s bottom lip, making the girl more flustered than ever.

 

Jinsoul nods and lays her head against Sooyoung’s chest. “God you’re too much sometimes.” Smiling she takes the hand that’s on the wall to tilt Jinsoul’s head back up. The girl’s cheeks were rosy and there’s a slight shine to her skin from sweating in the rising heat of spring. Sooyoung thinks she’s never been so beautiful.  

 

“But can I pretend to be mad at you still so you’ll keep kissing me like that?” Sooyoung asks with a teasing tone and the blush on Jinsoul’s cheeks deepen. Sooyoung stares down at the swollen lips and already misses them sliding against her own.  

 

About to lean back in to fall into the sensation she feels another one in her nose. Jinsoul watches the cute feature twitch and screams when Sooyoung sneezes on her. “HA SOOYOUNG EWWW!”    

 

She’s pushed off aggressively as Jinsoul scrunches her face up. Sooyoung stares at her boogies on the girls face and starts to feel the uneasy squeeze in her tummy.

 

Stepping back embarrassed she wipes at her nose and sneezes again while Jinsoul squeals and bounces on her feet, “ew ew ew! ITS EVERYWHERE!” Sooyoung quickly takes her shirt to wipe it off Jinsoul’s face. Jinsoul looks disgusted but she’s giggling, “I’m gonna kill you!” Jinsoul shoves at her once her face is clean. Sooyoung continues to sneeze again and again. 

 

“I’m s- ACHOO! I’m sorry!!” Jinsoul is holding her tummy as she makes fun of Sooyoung who can’t stop sneezing. Curse spring pollen and allergies.  

 

They stopped her from being close to Jinsoul. 

 

Disappointed at herself Sooyoung squats down and holds her nose. She can’t believe she sneezed in Jinsoul’s face...oh god the thoughts were starting to pile again. What if Jinsoul was so grossed out she stopped talking to her.  

 

Instead Jinsoul sits on Sooyoung’s back gently and massages at her shoulders. Sooyoung huffs as the weight brings pressure to her knees. “I guess we can’t kiss anymore since you’re sick.” Sooyoung’s eyes widen...she wasn’t sick, they could still kiss as soon as she got some allergy medicine 

 

Sooyoung let’s go of her nose and instantly sneezes. She holds again before standing up, pushing Jinsoul off of her. 

 

Sooyoung turns blood red, “Jinsoul it’s my...” she stops mid sentence because of her voice that was altered. Jinsoul is dying laughing and Sooyoung clenches her fist.  

 

The girl wipes the tear from her eye, “okay squidward.” Sooyoung shoves Jinsoul playfully and soon enough it turns into a playfight. With Jinsoul screaming every time Sooyoung sneezes. Some people pass by and wonder why two girls were chasing each other around, laughing as done so. 

 

What most of them didn’t notice however, is the love in the two girl’s eyes.  

 

And how they never noticed those people passing by in the first place.  

 

~~~~ 

 

Jinsoul taps lightly on the door, school has been very boring without a certain someone around. Sooyoung’s been out for a few days due to feeling under the weather. She couldn’t risk getting sicker by coming to school. 

 

Jinsoul promised herself she wouldn’t bother Sooyoung...but that proved to be difficult when the girl would whine and cry on the phone every night about how she missed her and that she felt like death. How could Jinsoul resist such a temptation.  

 

Ah Jinsoul please come over and take care of me.  

 

Jinsoul shakes her head at how Sooyoung’s soft voice made her feel.  

 

I’m so cold and lonely…

 

She knows Sooyoung was just playing it up to make her feel bad, but it was now Friday and Jinsoul didn’t really have anything to do and she was dying to see Sooyoung.  

 

That’s what brings her here. In front of Sooyoung’s home, she’s honestly scared. Jinsoul has only met Sooyoung’s moms once and she knew she had some sisters. But she really wanted to snuggle up to Sooyoung and keep her warm. Love usually wins over fear, at least in Jinsoul’s case.

 

The door swings open and Jinsoul has to look down, “the ?” The girl that’s four inches shorter than Jinsoul grumbles out. She’s really cute and has a sense of style. Her hair is in a ponytail and her shoes resemble frogs, “MOM THERE'S A JEHOVAH WITNESS HERE SHOULD I TELL THEM WERE BUDDIST!” Jinsoul let’s her jaw drop and she stands frozen at the doorway.  

 

She stands there until Sooyoung’s mom comes into view. It’s dasom, “Yeo sweetie what did I- oh! Jinsoul hi I didn’t know you were coming?” Jinsoul let’s out a nervous laugh, she did text Sooyoung but never got a reply. 

 

“Come on in!” Dasom ushers her in while throwing a glare at Yeojin for the previous statements.  

 

Jinsoul waddles in and blushes when Dasom rubs on her back for a greeting before scurrying off. Yeojin crosses her arms, “so you’re my sis girlfriend.” Jinsoul’s eyes widened and she slips off her shoes, “didn’t know she liked nerds.”  

 

“YEOJIN COME IN HERE AND HELP ME WITH THE CHICKEN!” The younger girl clicks her tongue and stomps off. Jinsoul is simply at a loss of words and shrugs off her backpack. 

 

Silently creeping around the house she tries to find Sooyoung, Jinsoul hears a bunch of noise coming from the left and peeks around there. Her jaw drops even more. Sooyoung and a girl that looks similar to her are beating the out of each other with couch pillows.  

 

Stepping into the room further she crosses her arms, “sick my .” The other girl is beating the hell out of Sooyoung and Jinsoul watches patiently, yes maybe she should save her, but Jinsoul had her reasons. Sooyoung is on the couch covering her head until the girl that was welling on her stops.  

 

“Um…”

 

Sooyoung raises up and the smile falls and all the color drains from her face, “J-Jinsoul?” The other girl laughs and hits Sooyoung in the head again just to embarrass her.   

 

After watching Sooyoung tear her sister a new one she quickly fumbles over to Jinsoul, who still has her arms crossed. “I thought you were sick?” Sooyoung blinks and fakes a cough that makes Jinsoul roll her eyes. 

 

Inside her chest feels jittery however, she hasn’t seen Sooyoung’s adorable face up close in a hot minute. She just wanted to cradle it in her hands and kiss it all over. Her fingers are just twitching to touch and hold the girl in front of her. But she resists the urge, “nice pajamas.” Jinsoul snorts, care bears for Sooyoung. Could she get even cuter?  

 

“Jinsoul.” Sooyoung does sound sick, her voice is hoarse and has a slight congestion to it. Jinsoul sighs at how deep and attractive it is. Jinsoul was in disbelief, Sooyoung couldn’t possible get hotter but here she was swooning over Sooyoung’s illness driven rasp. 

 

She expects an apology or something thoughtful instead she’s pulled into bone crushing hug, “baby I didn’t know you were coming.” Jinsoul blushes madly as Sooyoung literally wiggles her way against Jinsoul. Hugging back she feels how hot Sooyoung is, she’s burning up. Jinsoul peeks behind them and sees the younger girl from before snickering.  

 

“I-I texted you.” Jinsoul stammers out as Sooyoung keeps mumbling baby and other sweet things into her ear.  

 

This is something that she couldn’t handle. 

 

“Sorry she’s a bit loopy I just doped her up.” Jinsoul tries to break away from Sooyoung at Dasom’s voice but it doesn’t work out in her favor. If anything it just made Sooyoung hold onto her tighter, making them look like they’ve been glued together. 

 

Dasom rubs at her daughter's head and smiles at the content look on her face. Sooyoung looked like she was in heaven. Dasom hasn’t seen her this happy or relaxed in a while. Jinsoul on the other hand, looked like she was going to have a . Dasom didn’t mind however, whoever was making her daughter smile like this she would forever be thankful. “We thought it was allergies but it seems like she got a bit of a sinus infection, she’s had a fever all week.” Jinsoul’s panic turns serious as she looks back at Sooyoung. 

 

She puts her hand on her forehead and ignores Sooyoung’s goofy but adorable smile. Jinsoul gasps when she feels the heat radiating from Sooyoung’s forehead, “maybe I gave her too much medicine.” Sooyoung looked a little blew but Jinsoul didn’t notice at first. If anything she liked Sooyoung not resisting the urge to be affectionate. Dasom shakes her head worriedly as Sooyoung shivers and coughs a bit in Jinsoul’s hold.  

 

Jinsoul rubs at the girls back and allows her to snuggle into her unlike before, when she was struggling to keep Sooyoung off of her. “I can help with anything.” Jinsoul tells Dasom who seemed a bit stressed at the moment. 

 

Sooyoung’s mom smiles at her, “you wouldn’t mind playing nurse would ya.” Jinsoul shakes her head and blushes at the wink Dasom gives her. God Sooyoung looks just like her. Jinsoul thinks as the woman walks off. She had a natural strut just like Sooyoung. 

 

Jinsoul let’s her mind wander...Sooyoung’s Mom was hot...so that meant. Jinsoul’s ears turn red imagining a much more mature face of Sooyoung’s. She was gonna google how to make someone fall in love and marry you as soon as she got home.  

 

“So…” Jinsoul perks up at the deep voice and shuffles around. It’s Sooyoung’s sister from before, “you wanna play?” The girl points at the screen. It was Smash. Sooyoung and Hyejoo were playing before until they started to argue because Sooyoung kept stepping on the young girl’s toes. Then it turned into an all out war.  

 

Jinsoul quickly shakes her head, “nah I’m terrible at that game.”  

 

Hyejoo frowns, “what about Cooking Mama?” Jinsoul’s eyes sparkle and it reaches Hyejoo’s own.  

 

As Hyejoo sets up the wii Jinsoul scoots to plop her and Sooyoung on the couch. Letting Sooyoung bury her face into the fabric of her shirt she relaxes into the cushions. It’s not entirely comfortable for Jinsoul. How Sooyoung is halfway laid across her halfway curled around her. But Sooyoung seems to like it with the way she longingly sighs and squeezes her tighter and holds her close. 

 

Jinsoul sacrifices her comfort for the sick girl.  

 

Because just like Dasom had said. 

 

She was playing nurse.  

 

~~~~ 

 

Jinsoul learns a few things about Sooyoung’s sister, the first one was obvious. Her name which was Olivia, Jinsoul felt a bit skeptical however, an English name? Also Hyejoo’s smirk was questionable. 

 

She seemed serious but everything she did was playful. Her laugh was adorable but she was a troll that had Jinsoul huffing out with embarrassment as the girl would sarcastically remark to her.  

 

Sooyoung was sleeping soundly basically on top of her, Jinsoul didn’t particularly mind the drool or the gurgling breath. It was only because she was sick. Olivia is waving her wii remote around like a maniac, “I think Mama is getting mad I can’t beat this meat.” Jinsoul awkwardly smiles as Olivia slams the wii remote downward. 

 

The girl is kinda chaotic.  

 

Jinsoul thinks she’s pretty however, she has cute triangle lips that make her have a natural pout. But Jinsoul’s favorite is the monotone voice. “I think you’re doing it too hard.” 

 

Olivia smirks, “Ha that’s what your mom said.” Jinsoul picks at her jeans as the teenager laughs.

 

“HYEJOO!” An even deeper voice fills the room and Jinsoul and Olivia turn to the girl from before. “Mom said you had to fix the table.” Jinsoul narrows her eyes...who was Hyejoo. The shorter girl standing beside the couch now had her arms crossed and foot tapping. She looked 12 but acted 35 she sounded like it too.  

 

“Okay let me finish this.” The younger girl rolls her eyes and stomps somewhere else. Jinsoul watches her disappear into one of the many rooms down the hall before going back to the screen.

 

“Hyejoo?” Jinsoul states and shakes her head when she sees the small smile on the girl’s face.  

 

Ol..Hyejoo pauses the game and turns to her, “you the one who believed it.” Jinsoul glares at her receiving one of those nasally laughs.   

 

Hyejoo leans over to poke at Sooyoung’s face, which was now pressed against Jinsoul’s chest. “Ugly , I don’t know why you like her.” Jinsoul gasps in offense and pets on Sooyoung’s head. 

 

“Stop, she’s pretty! Just like you!” Hyejoo evilly stares at her before holding Sooyoung’s nose. The two of them giggle when the girl starts to snore. “And I like her cuz’ I think your sister is a really amazing person. It’s a bonus that she’s cute. I think I can brag about how lucky I am.” 

 

“Eww gross. You actually like her.” Jinsoul giggles a bit as Hyejoo gags as if she really was disgusted. “Are you two dating yet?”  

 

Jinsoul blushes and shakes her head no, although they had admitted their feelings. There was no talk about that yet. “She’s kinda shy when it comes to that stuff. But even then she talks about you all the time.” Jinsoul stares down at Sooyoung who was starting to wheeze from the lack of oxygen. Half asleep she slaps Hyejoo’s hand away finally. “We May be mortal enemies but I love her.” Hyejoo mumbles out and it makes Jinsouls heart swell ten times big.  

 

“But we’re the only ones that can hurt Sooyoung.” It’s another voice. It’s the tinier girl from before. She’s hovering at the back of the couch. “You seem pretty cool ya know for actually coming over to look after her feeble but if you cross her and you cross the both of us.” Jinsoul gulps at the threatening tone. Until the girl above her smiles, awe she has mochi cheeks. Jinsoul can’t believe such a pretty family exists. “I don’t think we have to worry bout it tho!” 

 

Hyejoo agrees as she flicks Sooyoung in the forehead, “yup you don’t act mean if anything you’re kinda a wuss.” Jinsoul tries to stammer out something but it’s no use. Sooyoung’s siblings are making fun of her and making kissing noises before disappearing into the kitchen.  

 

Dasom is finishing up dinner as her two youngest stumble in. “Ugh mom Jinsoul isn’t lame it’s so boring.” Dasom raises a brow at Yeojin. “We thought she was going to be weird or whatever.” The girl completes her thought by sneaking a piece of food in .  

 

“I hate Sooyoung why does she always get the girl.” Hyejoo whines out, she and Chaewon were having a bit of an argument right now. It was pertaining to that the younger blonde was still dating her boyfriend despite coming over to the Ha house to kiss Hyejoo all the time.  

 

Dasom shakes her head, “because she’s just like your super awesome mom.” Dasom flosses her hair as her daughters express their embarrassment. Snapping at the two to set the table up she goes to check up on the love birds. 

 

About to yell she stops in her tracks at the site. Her oldest seems to finally be awake barely.  

 

Jinsoul is speaking to her sweetly as she brushes through her hair with her fingers. Combing it out. Dasom smiles and feels a bit excited. Sooyoung had brought a few girls home for dinner...never a boy. Dasom and Nana both knew Sooyoung favored pretty girls from a young age.  

 

But this is the first time it’s felt real. Because never has her daughter looked at someone like that. Although an overwhelming flood of protectiveness washes over her. This could be the first person to break Sooyoung’s heart. But with the way Jinsoul was treating her, she shouldn’t have to worry just yet...but she’ll still keep her eye open.   

 

“Girls food is ready.” The both of them turn to her voice. Dasom knows Sooyoung must be in love when she doesn’t hop up at the mention of a meal. Former dinners has been awkward, since Sooyoung was more interested in the food then the girl by her side.  

 

Jinsoul is the one that manages to get them up, Dasom is shocked that her daughter was even reluctant to pass on dinner.  

 

Dasom hears the front door open and a long groan. Silently cursing to herself she sighs.  

 

“So the fun begins.”    

 

~~~~ 

 

Jinsoul is surprised that being sick doesn’t save Sooyoung from some torment. Nana lightly slaps the back of the girl’s head, “stop chewing with your mouth open I raised you to not be an animal.” Dasom seems to be getting angrier by the second at her wife and child’s antics.  

 

“I can’t breath out my nose!” Sooyoung bites back and stabs her mom’s hand with the fork. 

 

Nana is chewing on her food when she mumbles, “don’t talk back to me or I’ll whoop your right in front of your gurlfren.” Nana mocks the last word that makes Sooyoung blush. “You ain’t grown that much, I’ll still get the belt out.”  

 

“Jin-ah.” Dasom warns. 

 

Jinsoul looks petrified.  

 

Everyone goes back to eating and ignoring the beeps from Hyejoo’s DS. “I’m glad I look like Mama cause you ugly.” Jinsoul ends up choking on her water and Yeojin reaches over to pat her on the back. Sooyoung is struggling to keep her laugh in and so is Dasom. 

 

Nana tries to keep it in as well, “the hell did you just say to me.”  

 

Sooyoung puts her fork down and fakes being polite, “you know mom I don’t know why you always mess with me and not dumb or dumber.” Nana glances around the table. Yeojin is smiling her sweet baby how could she be mean to her and then to Hyejoo who had a devilish smile similar to hers she say things that hit a little too hard.

 

Sooyoung however was just like her mother.  

 

Easy to tease.  

 

Nana options out on shrugging her shoulders, “Jinsoul you haven’t talked much?” The girl in glasses was picking at her food suddenly jumps and shrinks into her chair as all eyes come to rest on her.  

 

Jinsoul laughs, she feels the comfort of Sooyoung’s hand on her thigh until she shrugs her shoulders. She was so nervous she didn’t know what to say. 

 

Thankfully Sooyoung does the talking for her, “Jinsoul is the captain of the academics team.” Sooyoung says proudly and smiles at her family. Jinsoul sips on her water as she’s basically bragged about on and on from Sooyoung. 

 

Sooyoung knows so much about her. Jinsoul’s a little surprised that she remembered all of that. She’s excluded from the conversation that’s all about her. Sooyoung talks about the relay, the tutoring, how nice she is, how she’s the top student at the school. Even the anime club which Jinsoul tries to avoid by pinching the hell out of Sooyoung’s side. 

 

But Sooyoung keeps blabbering about her to the two women. Jinsoul gets redder and redder every second. Dasom looks at her knowingly from time to time and Nana is so emerged in Sooyoung she can’t look anywhere else. 

 

Instead Jinsoul distracts herself, “hey what are you guys playing?” Hyejoo and Yeojin are hunched over the DS and glance up at her before scooting to let Jinsoul slide over. She almost gets away with it unnoticed until Sooyoung stops talking because her hand isn’t being held anymore. Jinsoul blushes and slides back next to Sooyoung. She would suffer just for her. The sad expression on Sooyoung’s face wasn’t easy to resist.

 

Sooyoung goes back to talking, at least it wasn’t about Jinsoul anymore. It was actually about state…and how Sooyoung would be leaving in a couple weekends. Jinsoul wasn’t looking forward to it. Another week of only phone calls and sleepless nights. 

 

Sooyoung seems to get disinterested and starts to give short replies. Jinsoul can see the sleepiness in her eyes. Dasom notices too, “Sooyoung honey why don’t you take a nap, I’ll wrap your plate up for later okay?” Sooyoung nods and rubs at her eyes and stands up. Jinsoul sits idly but starts to panic when the fabric of her shirt is pulled. 

 

“Jinsoul are you coming?”  

 

Jinsoul had two options, go up to Sooyoung’s room, alone. Or to help Dasom clean up the kitchen and get some extra brownie points. Jinsoul chooses the second, “I’ll help your mom with the dishes.” Sooyoung instantly pouts and lets go of her shirt. Nana snorts while standing up to give Sooyoung a loving hug and kiss.  

 

Jinsoul feels a tiny bit bad when Sooyoung glares at her and mopes as she walks through the hall. 

 

Nana starts torment the younger girls, forcing them to talk about their mundane days. Jinsoul tries to push the look on Sooyoung’s face out of her mind but it’s kinda hard when Dasom keeps telling her cute stories about Sooyoung as a kid. 

 

Jinsoul starts to get comfortable around Sooyoung’s family. She knows it’s trouble however. 

 

Because now she was going to want to come over everyday. 

 

~~~~  

  

Opening her eyes she’s immediately coughs. Sooyoung felt absolutely horrible still. Raising up in her bed she freezes at the activity down south. Her sister Yeojin is blabbering you someone she forgot was here. Instantly her heart starts to drum in her chest. It’s Jinsoul and she’s reading one of Hyejoo’s gaming magazines while Yeojin was braiding her hair into pigtails.  

 

Jinsoul sides eyes her noticing that she had started to stir and smiles brightly, “hi sleeping beauty.” Sooyoung blushes and it’s not from the fever. To cover up how affected she is by Jinsoul’s words she coughs.  

 

“She’s probably about to die because Jinsoul’s in her room.” Sooyoung flips over to see her other sister playing her DS on the floor.  

 

Clenching her fist she hisses at the two, “get out!” They weren’t allowed in here anyways so she has no idea why they seem so comfortable. Neither of them move so she starts to toss things from her nightstand. 

 

Hyejoo tried to kick her from the floor and grumbles, “man fine!” Sooyoung sighs out of victory as Hyejoo leaves the room, now only Yeojin remains. 

 

“Nuh uh you always get to hang out with Jinsoul.” Sooyoung glares at the girl as she completely ignores her. 

 

It’s Jinsoul who’s able to make her leave, “You wanna go shopping tomorrow just me and you?” The thirteen year old considers it only for a second.  

 

“I’m guessing this is your way of asking me to leave right?” Jinsoul is surprised she caught on but only apologizes with a shrug. Yeojin groans and flips Sooyoung off before she goes.   

 

They wait until the door slams until they look at each other. Sooyoung thinks Jinsoul looks cute like that, so cute. In fact she wishes she could kiss her right now. Before she can even think about it she’s leaning across the bed to catch Jinsoul’s lips only to be pushed away, “Nope, you have to take your medicine.” Sooyoung is embarrassed by her eagerness and pouts up as she lays back in bed. God what has come over her. It was like she couldn’t control herself around Jinsoul. 

 

“I need to focus and I don’t think I would be able to if you did that.” Jinsoul reassures her and it let’s Sooyoung relax a little bit. 

 

Jinsoul smiles faintly and reaches to the nightstand. It’s that stupid cough syrup. Sooyoung examines Jinsoul’s features as she does so, her sharp jawline and the curve of her nose. Her eyes that sported the slightest makeup. But she noticed something different, “you’re not wearing eyeliner.” Jinsoul always wore eyeliner but it made her eyes look less cat like and sharp. Jinsoul spares a slide glance before pouring the syrup into a spoon. 

 

“I’m not, why do I look bad?” Jinsoul turns to her with spoon in hand. 

 

Sooyoung raises up and opens , Jinsoul scoops the spoon in with open as well out of habit. She rubs Sooyoung’s cheek as the girl swallows and sits the spoon back now, “no you always look beautiful it’s just...I guess I stare at you a lot.” Sooyoung scratches at her ear and shyly looks away. “Thanks for coming over.” Sooyoung only receives a smile from that but really Jinsoul is still trying to stop her brain from malfunctioning and saying something crazy like I love you to Sooyoung.  

 

She liked Jinsoul being close to her, she slept so good on the couch in the girl’s arms. That’s when she remembers Jinsoul choose to wash the dishes over being with her. It’s trivial but Sooyoung thinks of how nice it would feel to cuddle with Jinsoul. But maybe that’s crossing boundaries. They were even dating yet. 

 

“You’re welcome I was worried about you.” Jinsoul tells her sincerely with a concerned voice. Sooyoung gets weak when Jinsoul searches for her hand to squeeze. When she looks up she gets faint, the emotion in Jinsoul’s eyes are softer than she’s ever seen them. A calmness fades over her and Sooyoung shakes at how much pressure there is on her heart.  

 

It’s feels like forever when Jinsoul breaks her gaze.  

 

She’s shy when it comes to this stuff. 

 

Sooyoung used to look scared when they shared those staring contests. Now Jinsoul was the scared one, it wasn’t a bad thing. She was just afraid she wouldn’t be able to survive when they did become girlfriends. She almost had a heart attack when Sooyoung called her baby in that sugar-laced voice.  

  

Closing her eyes when she feels Jinsoul’s palm on her head she leans into the touch, “you’re burning up.”  

 

Sooyoung didn’t feel that way at all, “I’m freezing.” Jinsoul frowns at the fact that she was still running a fever. Hopping she ignores Sooyoung’s whines of protest to go get a cold rag from the bathroom. 

 

Seeing herself in the mirror she sees that her pigtails are falling out since Yeojin didn’t have anything to tie them with. Shaking them out her hair falls into soft waves and she quickly heads back to Sooyoung’s room and shuts the door.  

 

Sooyoung lays down when she sees Jinsoul and waits to be nursed back to health. Jinsoul sits beside her and leans over, Sooyoung’s toes curl at the site of the girl’s silky black hair curtaining her face. Reaching up she slips Jinsoul’s glasses off that were already hanging and sits them on her nightstand.  

 

“Thanks...they’ve never really fit.” Jinsoul mutters as she places the wet rag on Sooyoung’s forehead. Sooyoung hums at the coolness on her head and glanced back up at the literal angel.  

 

“I love them.” It’s something Sooyoung thinks about a lot. How cute Jinsoul looks in her glasses, especially when they’re studying together. Jinsoul smiles down at her and shakes her head. They both succumb to silence after that just enjoying the fact they can look at each other. Sooyoung plays with Jinsoul’s fingers that’s laid on on her tummy and tries to warm up simply by staring at the girl. 

 

Jinsoul looks deep in thought and doesn’t break their stare. “I missed you kinda.” 

 

Sooyoung snorts, “only kinda?” She starts to giggle as Jinsoul flips her hand to slap her skin gently. 

 

“Stop I’m being serious.” Jinsoul smiles fondly at the girl below who was showing off her bunny teeth.  

 

Leaning down she gives her a short kiss on the cheek that quickly shuts her up. Sooyoung opens her eyes back up, they’re a bit glossy from the laughter. “Don’t tease me like that you know I’m weak right now.” Sooyoung grumbles out as Jinsoul tickle at her ear. 

 

Raising up she holds the rag to her head before scooting beside Jinsoul, “hold me I’m freezing.” Sooyoung leans her head onto Jinsoul’s shoulder and can already feel the goosebumps go away when she feels the soft hands wrapped around her body.  

 

After a few beats Jinsoul mumbles out, “I hope your parents like me.”  

 

Sooyoung doesn’t have to worry about it. She could tell her Moms were already enarmored with Jinsoul. Just like she was, completely smitten by the girl. She likes how this first love feels, it’s nothing the way people talked about. 

 

Sure there was all the nerves and butterflies. The giddiness and the constant turning of emotions. But no one had ever talked about how comfortable it is. To be in there arms, close to falling asleep like a baby. 

 

It’s hard on her heart but easy on her mind. Being with Jinsoul is the one thing she only wants to do. 

 

For a long time at that.

  

Downstairs Dasom and Nana talk about dinner, so…” Dasom is the one that starts out with a tinge of excitement in her voice. “Jinsoul’s such a doll isn’t she.”  

 

“Yeah, Sooyoung seems to really like her a lot.” Nana replies and settles next to her wife. Sooyoung had never talked about someone like that, nor had such a sparkle in her eye. Anyone could see that Jinsoul was someone very special to Sooyoung. You could tell she adored her.

 

Nana is rubbing the back of her neck, tired from a long day at work. “But she’s quiet.” However, she fits Sooyoung a bit too well. Sooyoung was usually quiet but Jinsoul seemed to bring the talkative side out of her. Something Nana has to pick and dig out of Sooyoung. 

 

Dasom brings her fork up to Nana’s mouth, “yes but she’s sweet, she walked a long way just to see our baby.”  

 

Rolling her eyes Nana takes a bite of the desert, “she’s sixteen shes fine, when I was sixteen-“ 

 

“I was taking care of you just the same.”  

 

Nana grumbles at Dasom’s words, they’ve known each other since they were small. Growing up on the same street. But they never talked until they were in highschool. 

 

Nana felt a little shameful thinking of how she treated her wife back then. Nana had a boyfriend and was too blind to see the angel in front of her who seemed to cater to her. When they went to college it just seemed to get worse. Nana slept around while Dasom would quietly sit back and let it happen. Taking care of her when she was hungover or just too lazy to get out of bed.   

 

One day, Nana just stopped fooling around with people. Started to meet Dasom’s effort, eventually falling for her so hard there was no turning back. 

 

Until Dasom rejected her...multiple times. 

 

But that didn’t last forever, since they have three children and almost 20 years of marriage under their belt. Somehow, Dasom makes Nana feel like a teenager still, with the way her heart flutters.   

 

“I…” 

 

“Shush up and eat this.” Nana does just that and blushes at her wife’s pretty smile. 

 

She guesses she’ll never get over it. 

 

~~~~

  

Meanwhile, Sooyoung is tracing the lines of Jinsoul’s palm. “Did you win a lot?” They had gotten deep into a conversation about Sooyoung’s past, how she used to compete in talent shows. Sooyoung had reluctantly told Jinsoul, it was like getting teeth pulled. 

 

“Yeah, I was okay.” Jinsoul frowns, just by looking around Sooyoung had tons and tons of medals and trophies. It seems as if she’s always been a winner. “I wanted to be a singer when I was younger, just like the Wonder Girls.” Sooyoung presses her thumb into the middle of Jinsoul’s hand as she goes back to the memory of being on stage. 

 

Jinsoul would love to see it, she remembers that day she and Sooyoung danced until they were exhausted. The girl was amazing, so she was sure her voice was like velvet too. “Why’d you stop?” Jinsoul even went to middle school with Sooyoung and she’s never heard of anything but the girl running.  

 

Sooyoung glances at her while comparing their hand sizes, hers were slightly bigger than Jinsoul’s. “I was recruited by the track team when I was twelve and I liked it better so I kinda just...stopped.” Jinsoul notices the hesitation in Sooyoung’s answer and entangles their fingers together to squeeze Sooyoung’s hand for support.  

 

“People made fun of me too, the older I got. But everyone started to leave me alone once I started doing really good with track.” Jinsoul’s heart breaks for more than one reason. The frown on Sooyoung’s lips was hard to handle.  

 

Shaking their hands Jinsoul mumbles to her, “I know it’s in the past but I’m sorry that happened to you, I’m one hundred percent positive that you were great at it. They were probably just jealous.” Jinsoul’s never known Sooyoung to be self-conscious, she’s never seen the girl even doubt herself. Sure she’s been nervous about a race or two before, but she’s never denied that she was great. 

 

But Sooyoung only said she was okay at singing and dancing. 

 

“How about this, we’ll start going to karaoke and stuff so you can still do that. I know you like it...you looked really happy doing it for the club. Too everyone was crazy about you, they’ve been begging for me to bring you back.” Sooyoung’s eyes waver for a minute before looking up at Jinsoul. The girl genuinely meant it, she cared about Sooyoung’s passions. It made her fall a bit harder.  

 

She didn’t really think about those things anymore. But now, Sooyoung found herself itching to do them, she had forgotten how much it made her happy.  

 

“You’re the coolest person I know Sooyoung, you could do whatever and it would be amazing.” Sooyoung’s eyes turn glossy for a moment before shoving Jinsoul away for being so cheesy. They laugh at each other for a moment before scooting back together.  

 

Sooyoung thinks she loves Jinsoul.  

 

Staring into her eyes, she really feels it deep down. She loves her like no other. “Thank you,” she whispers out so that they could only hear. Jinsoul smiles at her, that one that makes Sooyoung’s whole world pause for a moment just to have the extra time to memorize it all. “For being my best friend.” Sooyoung means it, Jinsoul was probably the greatest friend she’s ever had up to this point.  

 

Although she’s never bothered to let people get to know her. It’s not like they’ve cared enough to try to go past what everyone already has in mind for the kind of person she is. 

 

Sooyoung isn’t given much time to think, because Jinsoul already starts to talk about all the things they could do together. 

 

As best friends...and well most of them sound like dates to Sooyoung. 

 

The longer they talked however the slower Sooyoung’s response came and her hold on Jinsoul had become tighter. Soon Jinsoul was tucking Sooyoung back in and giving her loving kisses to the face, “I have to go now, okay?” Sooyoung blinks at her and Jinsoul could tell the girl was upset. But it was now dark outside and Jinsoul was a bit scared. 

 

She could stay, but she wasn’t for sure if Sooyoung’s parents would be up for it. So she kissed her goodbyes away until Sooyoung was starting to cling to her and it was getting hard to resist wanting to stay. “I’ll see you Monday.” Jinsoul whispers out and raises up from Sooyoung’s bed.   

 

“I hope you feel better.”

 

Walking off she struggles to leave. Turning back she sees that Sooyoung is raised up, watching her go. Jinsoul gives a final wave and stumbles out the door.  

 

It’s even difficult to say goodbye to Sooyoung’s moms because they keep pushing food onto her. With one heaping to-go plate Jinsoul is finally out the door into the cool spring air.  

 

She skips down the road giggling like a maniac. Stopping for just a moment after she feels the buzz in her pocket she pulls her phone out. 

 

Jinsoul smiles and squeals a bit to herself and spins on the concrete. Receiving a strange look from the lady walking her dog. 

 

Sooyoung had sent her a text...with a photo attached. 

 

Thinking of you already.  

 

Jinsoul instantly sets the cute selfie as her background. 

 

~~~~   

 

Something is up, “where is Heejin?” Jiwoo is rambling on about something as they walk through the hall. School had finally let out and they were going to get some ice cream. But Jinsoul and Jiwoo noticed that their friend wasn’t with them. 

 

Jiwoo stops and thinks for a second, “I actually don’t know wasn’t she supposed to meet us at your locker?” Jinsoul nods, but they just were at her locker.  

 

“You look in the East hall and I’ll go this way.” Jinsoul instructs her and starts to move against the body of students trying to get out. She hears Jiwoo already screaming her way through the crowd and she giggles at the girls obnoxious voice. 

 

Jinsoul looks everywhere for her friend and eventually heads up stairs. She’s stomping around until she hears a bunch of voices that sound too familiar.  

 

Leaning over she peeks around the wall only the frown at the scene. It’s the basketball boys again and they’re messing with Jungwoo. Jinsoul hates the words spewing out of their mouths. They’re pushing him into the lockers but the boy keeps smiling. But there’s tears pouring out of his eyes. Jungwoo loved to smile, even when in pain. 

 

One of them grabbed his hair and opens up one of the lockers. Trying to force him in.  

 

Jinsoul almost steps out to stop it until… 

 

“The hell are y’all doing?” It’s Sooyoung’s voice. Jinsoul hides further behind the wall as the girl walks up to the group of boys. Her face set in stone as it normally is and it sends chills down Jinsoul’s spine. She used to be afraid of Sooyoung, in the way she would never cross her. 

 

She had an incredibly stern face. Her voice unwavering. Sooyoung manages to break them off of Jungwoo, pulling him out of the locker he was shoved into. “Are you okay?” Jinsoul’s knees lock together, she’s so cool. Jungwoo smiles for real this time as Sooyoung throws a glare at the basketball boys.   

 

They grumble and start to move towards Jinsoul. She squeaks and acts like she wasn’t watching the whole thing and when they turn the corner they almost ignore her, “Jinloser sup.” Jinsoul huffs when one of them shoved her hard into the lockers. But thankfully they kept walking clearly not in the mood for anymore fun after Sooyoung had stood her ground.  

 

Sooyoung had respect around the school, rightfully so. Jinsoul admired that she was using it for good however.   

 

When she peeks back around the corner Sooyoung nor Jungwoo is to be found. 

 

However Jinsoul doesn’t let herself become disappointed. If anything, she was pretty happy to see that she was in love with someone with such a big heart. 

 

~~~~ 

 

Meet me at the field at five?  

 

Jinsoul shrugs her bag on and waved goodbye to Mr. Kim, “see you tomorrow!”  

 

The teacher smiles at her and does the same, “see you Jinsoul remember we gotta start preparing for the match next Saturday.” Jinsoul nods and Mr. Kim goes back to helping one of the students on the academic team.  

 

That’s right, Jinsoul had a big match coming up. The same weekend Sooyoung was running to qualify for nationals.  

 

Maybe she was a bit upset she wasn’t going to be able to go. 

 

She’ll just make sure to support Sooyoung from a distance. She did watch her last races through a stream. Bouncing through the halls she makes her way to the field. Life was good to Jinsoul at the moment. 

 

Top of her class, her bullies have become uninterested, she’s even got new friends.  

 

Most of all though. 

 

Ha Sooyoung likes her. 

 

Likes likes her. Jinsoul bites her lip at the thought of the athlete.  

 

Standing at the edge of the field she watches Sooyoung run and run. She hasn’t been spotted yet so she’ll take the time to gawk. However, thunder rolls above and that’s when Jinsoul notices the sun wasn’t out today.  

 

Feeling the first raindrop she quickly throws her stuff under the bleachers and makes a beeline for Sooyoung at the far end of the field. Slowly, the rain gets harder and harder. Jinsoul almost drowns in it but Sooyoung keeps running. 

 

By the time she’s close she’s soaked and out of breath, “SOOYOUNG!” The athlete slows a bit and turns. “SOOYOUNG STOP!” She doesn’t, she keeps jogging while staring at Jinsoul. 

 

The girl takes her glasses off, it’s not like she could see either way. They really needed to create windshield wipers for them. Jogging up next to Sooyoung she coughs out, “s- you- SLOW DOWN!” Jinsoul couldn’t even get what she was trying to say out because she was so out of breath. 

 

“What are you doing! Get out of the rain!” Sooyoung yells at her under the shower. Of course she wasn’t out of breath. She was so in shape in made Jinsoul sick.  

  

Jinsoul starts to pull on Sooyoung’s shirt before planting her feet to the ground, “you’re sick! You can’t run in the rain!” 

 

Sooyoung tries to keep running, “I have to! I didn’t run any last week I’m done being lazy.” Jinsoul rolls her eyes as the girl starts to stomp in the mud trying to go again. “Let go!” 

 

Yes, Sooyoung would rather be with Jinsoul right now. But she was so scared for taking a week off. What if she lacked at state and didn’t qualify for nationals.  

 

However Jinsoul stops her completely by grabbing onto her waist. Jinsoul’s glasses almost crack as her face makes contact with Sooyoung’s back so hard. Sooyoung is stilled as the girl hugs her from behind. The rain drilling them as they stand there. “If you get sick again you’ll have no chance at all!” Jinsoul screams at her and starts to pull her out of the rain. 

 

Sooyoung’s world stops again. Like it always does when the rain pours.  

 

She didn’t realize how cold she was until she felt Jinsoul’s warmth. 

 

~~~~ 

 

Under the bleachers they settle down where Jinsoul had thrown her back pack near the end. The girl had taken a jean coat and laid it down so they could sit and wait it out. 

 

“Baseball Huh?”

 

Sooyoung nods, “softball too.” 

 

The reason Sooyoung wasn’t using the schools indoor track was because it was occupied by not one but two other athletics. She had already practiced today, but she needed more. Sooyoung always ran until she was exhausted. But Jinsoul reminded her she didn’t need to overdue it.    

 

“If it makes you feel better, I'll go with you to one of those gyms so you can run on the spinny belt machine or whatever.” Jinsoul suggest as she plops down on her jacket. Five feet in front of her stands Sooyoung who is staring out into the pouring rain. Watching it fall from the bleachers in front of them.  

 

“A treadmill?” Sooyoung questions with an amused tone and only gets a tiny hum from Jinsoul. 

 

The girl shakes her head and takes off her glasses as Sooyoung replies, “sure.” Wiping the water and fog off of them she slips them on.  

 

Only to freeze and let them slide down her nose. 

 

For some odd reason, maybe it was just an accident or maybe Sooyoung truly wanted to be a hazard to Jinsoul’s health, the athlete had taken her shirt off. Ringing it free off water, “this was kinda heavy.” Sooyoung innocently drawls out and Jinsoul is free to gawk for the moment.  

 

Her vision becomes blurry even with her glasses on and her head spins. Why...how… 

 

Jinsoul screams to herself as Sooyoung turns to her and smirks cutely. She pretends she wasn’t just eyeballing the way Sooyoung’s tummy was toned and smiles back. Jinsoul thinks it’s kinda crazy how god just be making people like that. 

 

her lips she tries to not get carried away, Sooyoung had a slight curve to her waist and the water stuck to her tan skin . Her legs seemed to go on forever and she was just so...Jinsoul closes her eyes and thinks of things that are not so pleasant since she was getting hot when she was just freezing from the rain.  

 

When she opened them back up Sooyoung had her shirt back on. Thankfully . Jinsoul relaxes as Sooyoung waddles her way towards her. Jinsoul decides to tease the girl, “why are you so pretty?” Sooyoung’s ears turn red and she turns her face around so Jinsoul can’t see the eating grin she has. 

 

“Am I really?” Jinsoul laughs at the disbelief in Sooyoung’s voice and pats at her leg. Urging her to sit down.  

 

The athlete sits down with a huff, “yes, very.” Sooyoung pushes her away embarrassed at her teasing.  

 

Sitting in silence Jinsoul finally notices how strange Sooyoung was acting. She has been all day. Jinsoul tries to pick out what’s unusual and the only thing she can pin as different was how nervous Sooyoung was. 

 

She was playing with her fingernails in her lap. Her eyes not once glancing toward Jinsoul. Earlier when they were walking, Jinsoul likes to call it her little dance, Sooyoung did the thing where she smiles cutely while shrugging her shoulders and swaying her body, except for the cute smile there was a sad pout on Sooyoung’s lips.

 

Jinsoul chews at her bottom lip, thinking of what to say to the girl sat so far from her. “Sooo what’s up? You haven’t talked much today.” Sooyoung shrugs her shoulders and continues to pick at her nails.   

 

“I...It’s nothing.” 

 

“I’ll listen, if you do want to talk about anything.” Jinsoul reassures her with a pat on the shoulder. It’s not unlike Sooyoung to keep her emotions in check. But Jinsoul wishes she would at least talk about what was bothering her. 

 

Sooyoung gives her a thankful nod. 

 

Taking a deep breath Sooyoung tries to not sound too upset, “state got moved later now, It was supposed to rain.”   

 

Jinsoul happily smiles, that meant Sooyoung had more time to train. “That’s good! You’ll be able to prepare more.”  

 

That’s what Sooyoung thought at first too until she checked the date, “I won’t make it back in time for prom though.” Jinsoul’s smile slowly fades.  

 

“Oh.” 

 

It wasn’t a huge deal, but this was the first time Sooyoung would be going with someone she liked. She also had something planned. It was just frustrating. “It’s okay, there’s always next year you know?” Jinsoul says sincerely and it makes Sooyoung feel a bit better. 

 

“I can watch you run at state.”  

 

Sooyoung feels incredibly guilty though, “no I want you to go!” Sooyoung always had fun at prom, she thinks Jinsoul shouldn’t go just because she wasn’t.  

 

Jinsoul shakes her head, “I’ve never been actually so I don’t think I’ll be missing much.” 

 

A part of her wants to just accept it, but the other part wants Jinsoul to have fun. “Go with Heejin and Jiwoo, I promise it’ll be fun.” Jinsoul huffs out and Sooyoung can tell that she was getting annoyed with how stubborn she was being. 

 

The girl turns away from her and it makes Sooyoung deflate, “I’m not going Sooyoung.”  

 

“Okay.”  

 

But then Jinsoul turns back around, “or maybe I will since you want me to go so bad.” Jinsoul says a bit skeptically, “why?” 

 

“I don’t want you to be alone.” Sooyoung admits. She’s going to be running half the day and the bus ride back will be long. She’s not even going to have the time to talk to Jinsoul until later and even then it’ll be over the phone. 

 

Jinsoul’s tone stiffens, “Sooyoung…” She doesn’t finish.  

 

“Also I want you to have fun.”   

 

The tone gets sadder, “Sooyoung.”  

 

“And maybe I still want to see you in a dress.” 

 

Jinsoul whines at the teasing and Sooyoung lets a small smile break on her face. Jinsoul sighs and shakes her head. “Fine I’ll go, but as soon as you get back we have to dance okay? To some slow songs.” Sooyoung agrees with a pinky promise. Jinsoul locks their fingers together and pulls her in close to give her a sweet kiss.  

 

Sooyoung lets her eyes flutter close at the heart melting gesture.  

 

Jinsoul pulls back to leave Sooyoung in that dreamy state. Where she felt like she ate too much candy. Sooyoung her lips, she was becoming a sweet tooth and she only wanted Jinsoul’s sugar.  

 

Sooyoung frowns when she feels Jinsoul starting to shuffle, “no please just one more?” 

 

Jinsoul was actually scooting closer to Sooyoung since the rain didn’t seem like it was slowing up anytime soon. Fixing herself into the curve of Sooyoung’s side. She gently cups the athlete's jaw. Rubbing off the droplets of water that had stuck to her check she leans forward with a smile stretching her lips. 

 

Sooyoung got more than one last kiss. 

 

~~~~ 

 

The weeks go by...the closer state gets the harder Sooyoung trains. Jinsoul is there everyday with one of her favorite snacks and an oversized water bottle cheering her on. 

 

You’re the best Sooyoung.

 

I believe in you! 

 

Jinsoul was worried, Sooyoung’s smile had faded for a while, but one day it suddenly returned and Sooyoung had this mischievous glint in her eye. 

 

Jinsoul doesn’t get an answer when she asks.

 

She only gets a short kiss and an invite to play tag.  

 

Jinsoul realizes she has nothing to worry about when she watches Sooyoung’s smile grow ten times brighter than the sun when they start to play. 

 

This was what falling in love was like. 

 

~~~~ 

 

“Stop moving around so much!” Yeojin screams while jerking her hair a little bit. Jinsoul cringes and clenched her teeth together as her scalp is ripped to shreds.  

 

She shouldn’t have agreed to let Yeojin help her, but here she was with the girl in her room. Tugging on her hair like she was mad at the world. Jinsoul had to admit that Yeojin however was a little fashionista, and she may had been thankful she had someone from Sooyoung’s family to be with her. 

 

Yeojin was fun to be around and helped Jinsoul get through her comfort zone for tonight, which was kinda special. Not as special since the one she wanted to go with isn’t even here. She was getting her hair done, her face beat and even getting advice how to dance from Sooyoung’s little sister.  

 

“God you gonna look so good!” Yeojin muses as she finishes up a braid. Jinsoul stares at the navy dress at the far corner. It was silk and a bit too tight for Jinsoul’s liking. She preferred baggier clothes but when she tried on the dress Yeojin had picked out it fit her body and the slit had come up way to high on her thigh. It flowed down nicely and wasn’t too long on her when she wore heels. 

 

Last night she had even practiced walking in them with Yeojin. The girl had been a lifesaver. “Okay that’s the last one.” Yeojin pops her lips and falls back onto her bed. Jinsoul scratches at her head since they were so tight. “Just leave them in for a few hours and take them and then Shazam you got some beautiful waves.” Jinsoul smirks and goes to sit down beside her.  

 

“Are you exciiiited?” 

 

Jinsoul nods at her and squeezes onto to her squirtle while Yeojin muses about all the posters in her room. Apparently she really liked Kwon Yuri as well. Biting her lip she looks down at the plushie.  

 

She wouldn’t want to tell anyone this but she carries it almost everywhere she goes now. It makes her miss Sooyoung even more whose been gone for a full week now. Late at night when she can’t stop thinking of Sooyoung she plays the voice memo over and over again. If the squirtle was real he’d probably hate how much he’s snuggled.  

 

Jinsoul couldn’t help it, she had even downloaded that recording from that one girl Yerim. Even if Sooyoung called her almost everyday she still longed for her to come back. Missing her voice and gentle smile.   

 

“Sooyoung’s race should be soon.” Jinsoul mumbles and flips out her phone. She had the stream link saved and kept watched so she could catch Sooyoung’s race. Sure enough there was only one more event until Sooyoung’s. It was the 400m sprint. The last event for the day actually. Jinsoul takes a deep breath, she wonders when Sooyoung will get home. 

 

Yeojin scoots up beside her, “do you think she’ll do good?” Jinsoul thinks for a moment, Sooyoung had won her other races but this was the last one. Probably the biggest one.   

 

Jinsoul nods, she’s sure Sooyoung will succeed. She had no doubt that Sooyoung really was the best. The cameras suddenly cut to the starting line and Jinsoul’s heart rate rockets when she sees Sooyoung bouncing around. She brings the phone screen close to her face and stares hard at the little dot that Sooyoung is. 

 

She looked exhausted and Jinsoul wishes she was there to hold the girl so she could rest. “Hey I wanna watch too!” Jinsoul reluctantly moves her phone to the side for Yeojin to see as well. 

 

Jinsoul starts to chew on her lip out of nerves. Her heart was pumping so hard and she was sure Sooyoung’s was doing just the same. She has her usual serious face on and Jinsoul can’t help but want to see her smile. Now sometimes she’d even squeeze Sooyoung’s cheeks until she did so, finding out the girl’s stone cold expression hid her cute features.  

 

The two sit and watch the stream together. Jinsoul focuses on the noises coming from the phone and Yeojin’s shallow breath. Jinsoul tenses up when the runners get in their places.  

 

She thinks she even starts to sweat. 

 

“Man this is making me nervous.” Jinsoul doesn’t add anything to Yeojin’s comment. Only staring at Sooyoung until the gunshot goes off. Automatically standing Jinsoul paces the room as Yeojin hops around her trying to peak at the screen. Jinsoul sets the squirtle down to focus more, watching Sooyoung start to race out in a quick dart. 

 

Jinsoul doesn’t even realize how tight she’s holding onto her skirt. Sooyoung is barely in the lead, going head to head with another girl her height. The race is coming to an end and Jinsoul starts to chant in a quiet voice as Yeojin is crying for her to let her watch. “Go Sooyoung…” 

 

Go Sooyoung.    

 

She sees the struggle on Sooyoung’s face. She couldn’t even imagine what she’s feeling like right now. 

 

Hundreds of miles away Sooyoung pushes herself harder. Her lungs are about to explode and her legs are burning. She feels like slowing down but she can’t...she…

 

Closing her eyes she pictures everyone’s faces. Her parents her sisters. Her teammates on the sidelines screaming for her. 

 

She imagines one last face. 

 

You’re amazing Sooyoung!

 

It was Jinsoul’s face when she had first showed the girl how to properly run. Her black eyes were shining in the sunlight that day. Her smile being the biggest shot of adrenaline Sooyoung’s ever had. 

 

Sooyoung chases that feeling quite literally and starts to pick up her speed.  

 

She remembers that day like it was yesterday. Sooyoung had found something close to a first love like running.

 

But as she was racing her heart out now. 

 

Jinsoul felt more like a forever love. 

 

Memories flood her veins, they all flash before her eyes. From the first time she ran to the… 

 

It sticks to her mind like glue. The evening she had first walked Jinsoul home. How the sun glowed through the old neighborhood and Jinsoul had been so honest with her. 

 

The first time Sooyoung felt her heart truly melt from the endearment. Jinsoul seemed to flow around the world like a breeze and she gave the same feeling as one as well.The look in the girl’s eyes that evening could make anyone fall in love. 

 

That person just so happened to be Sooyoung. She remembers clinging to the chain link fence feeling like she was about to pass out from the stuttered words of the girl who wouldn’t stop smiling so prettily at her. 

 

Who wouldn’t stop making her feel so special.  

 

Sooyoung always thought the rain made the world seem to stop. But that was the first time she’s actually experienced time stopping. When Jinsoul had called her sweet and maybe...just maybe the coolest person she had ever met.  

 

When her world started spinning again, it was completely different. Sooyoung wanted to smile. She felt things in her chest that she had never before.  

 

From the first time she ever run...she finds herself remembering the hardest she’s ever run. 

 

Jinsoul had hugged her and filled her with so many feelings she thought she was going to drown in them. She left her with a sickenly soft kiss on the cheek that had Sooyoung’s heart blooming, the heat rising throughout all her body. 

 

The only way to escape the bombardment of emotions was to run...to run the fastest she ever could. 

 

Giddy and a bit high on a cute girl’s touch she runs all the way home with a smile stretching all the way across her face.

 

She really won didn’t she?  

 

Jinsoul are you listening? I feel like the luckiest girl alive for winning your heart. 

 

Sooyoung… 

 

Sooyoung!

 

“SOOYOUNG YOU WON GET UP!” It’s Lisa who has never smiled at her like that. Sooyoung finally shakes her head and hears the roar of the crowd around her. Somehow she was on the ground and her ears were ringing. 

 

Did she black out?  

 

Being hoisted up by her teammate she yells, “good job captain! You’re going to nationals!” Sooyoung is awe struck. She won? Lisa is beating her on her back like an excited kid and she can’t help but smile with her. 

 

“I won?” She breathes out and looks around. All the other runners were catching their breath.  

 

“You sure did…” Sooyoung turns to her coach who has tears in his eyes. She gets a bear hug from him and it makes her giggle. All her teammates then stampede her.  

 

It’s an amazing feeling. Sooyoung and her team were going to nationals.  

 

Jinsoul was crying.  

 

She fell to her knees when Sooyoung crossed the finish line. Maybe she was being a tad bit dramatic but she was so proud of the girl. Sooyoung had grown turbo boosters on her feet and smoked the other girl.

 

Jinsoul cries at her victory and shakes her fist at the phone. Thank god she hasn’t done her makeup yet.   

 

Meanwhile as everyone celebrates, Sooyoung puts her warm up suit back on and checks the time. She has hundreds of messages. Smiling she replies to some of them and rummages her bag. 

 

She slips red fabric through her finger and lets the excitement run down her spine. “Yo they want you for an interview.” Sooyoung looks up to find Lisa who for once wasn’t glaring at her.

 

Sooyoung nods and puts on the hat Jinsoul had gotten her. She always wore it with her tracksuit. As she’s following Lisa the girl shyly shrugs at her, “you know you’re like the greatest runner I know.”  

 

Sooyoung gives her a teasing look, “sorry I’ve been a to you captain.” 

 

Pulling her hair to the side she smirks at Lisa, “you on something?” Sooyoung had noticed Lisa been a little too loose on this trip and Sooyoung couldn’t help but joke a bit.

 

Lisa glares at her naturally but they aren't given time to argue since the media is waiting on Sooyoung.  

 

A pretty woman smiles at her mic in hand, “hey there’s our super star.” 

 

Jinsoul sways on the floor while watching the screen carefully. Sooyoung has her hat on...her ears are even poking out. “AH she’s so so cute!” Jinsoul screams and kicks her feet against the floor earning an odd and judgmental look from Yeojin. The interviewer asks the basic questions and Sooyoung answers without any emotion on her face. 

 

Robotic. Almost as if she was itching to get out of there. But then the lady with the mic says one last thing, “you wanna say hi to anyone? We’re live.”  

 

It’s the least expected thing for a lot of viewers. Ha Sooyoung smiles wide and everyone learns just how pretty the girl is. How much brighter the world becomes when her teeth are shown between her pink lips. 

 

“Shout out to my Mama and Mom. My sisters Yeojin and Joe…” Jinsoul covers as the interviewer gives the camera a funny look. Sooyoung is laughing to herself while waving at some of the people around them. “Uhh shoutout to Coach Park and the team, my teachers everyone who has supported me. I’m thankful for you guys. Miss Y’all so much can’t wait to come home and celebrate.” Jinsoul’s heart swells at how sweet Sooyoung is. 

 

Sooyoung’s about to leave until she nervously stumbles around. Jinsoul instantly knows, Sooyoung brings her hands up to pinch the skin at her neck as she rocks side to side. Jinsoul’s noticed the habit from before. Sooyoung’s about to say something real… 

 

“Also shout out to my beautiful girlfriend Jinsoul. She gave me a lot of the motivation that I needed for this race. You’re the best. Thank you...Um yeah bye.” Sooyoung then darts off the screen. 

 

Yeojin is laughing her off in the background, finally getting to watch once Jinsoul stopped pacing the floor. She had been cheering her sister own with a dramatic scream. 

 

Jinsoul’s blood pressure is making her ears ring however. 

 

And just as Yeojin starts to make fun of her.

 

Jinsoul passes out cold on the floor.  

 

Sooyoung’s...girlfriend?

 

~~~~ 

 

“THERE’S MY BABY!” Sooyoung tries to dodge the hug from her mom but Dasom sweeps her up in a tornado of hugs and kisses. Nana simply stands by as Sooyoung pleaded for help. As Dasom finally pulls away Sooyoung thinks she’s in the clear until her other Mom comes to lift her in a bear hug swinging her around.  

 

Sooyoung can’t help but giggle. Her chest bursts from emotions to see her parents so happy. So proud of her. Nana sits her down and gives her a warm kiss on the head, “you did so good, you should have seen your Ma screaming in the stands.” Sooyoung glances at Dasom, who had tears in her eyes. 

 

Honestly Dasom almost had a , she was so worried while Nana reassured that Sooyoung had to win.  

 

Walking around, congratulating other teams and meeting other coaches. Sooyoung holds both of her parents hands. She’s so happy she could die. The smile on her face feels like it’s gonna be there forever.

 

Sooyoung is in the middle of a conversation with a boy from another team when a middle aged korean woman comes up to her, “Ha Sooyoung nice to meet you. I’m Son Yejin head coach of Pledis University.” Sooyoung’s jaw drops but she remembers she’s not some kid anymore being in awe of one of the best track coaches in the country. 

 

Standing up straight she even bows before holding out her hand to shake the woman’s. “You’re going to be a senior next year right?” Sooyoung nods. 

 

“Yes ma’am.” 

 

The woman smiles, “keep up the good work, I’ve been looking for a sprinter for my team.” Sooyoung really can’t help but let her jaw drop this time and the woman laughs at her before giving her a card.  

 

Sooyoung was being scouted for one of the top track teams in the nation.  

 

Keep up the good work.

 

Bouncing around she waves to the woman as she walks off and immediately runs to her moms. They celebrate as a trio, circling around in a group hug as Sooyoung cries the hardest she has in a long time. 

 

Jinsoul and a lot of people were right. 

 

She was amazing. 

 

And she felt like that too.

 

~~~~ 

 

An hour after Jinsoul had fainted Yeojin paints her face with dark colors. Jinsoul usually doesn’t go with such dramatic makeup but she guesses this calls for a time. 

 

Yeojin has her tongue stuck out as she does so. Focused on contouring Jinsoul’s cheeks, “damn you have like a perfect bone structure.” Yeojin whispers out and moves to her eyes. Jinsoul hums along to a tune in her head and plays around with a rubix cube. 

  

“Thanks you’re really pretty too.” Jinsoul compliments and Yeojin gives her a smirk.

 

“Hehe I know.”  

 

It goes by strangely quick and Jinsoul’s already putting her dress on. When she’s finished she lets Yeojin know to turn around and the girl gasps, “YASSS QUEEN SLAY THE HOUSE!” Jinsoul giggles as Yeojin pretends she’s the queen of the world and bows down to her. She gets embarrassed at the treatment but can’t hide her smile away.  

 

The door opens at all the commotion, “what are...oh my god.” It’s Jinsoul’s mom and she looks like she’s about to cry. Jinsoul stumbles in her heels to her mom and hugs her tightly. 

 

Krystal was just happy to see Jinsoul get out the house...and maybe she was crying because she looked so beautiful too. Pulling back Jinsoul smiles, “mom don’t cry it’s not like I’m going to war.” Krystal glares at her daughter. Sometimes she hated how sarcastic she could be.

 

After Yeojin leaves and a too long of a photo shoot her mom makes her go through Jinsoul doesn’t know if she wants to just go back to bed or be there already.

 

Thankfully as her mom is making her do an embarrassing pose she hears the honking of a horn and quickly scrambles to get her things together before ignoring her mother’s protests. Clicking down the pave way she yells goodbye before getting into a peach colored van.

 

Jinsoul huffs and slams the door shut, Jiwoo is smiling and sweating bullets and Jinsoul wonders why the girl looks petrified.  

 

Then Jinsoul hears the obnoxious noises of two teenagers making out. Looking in the front seat her good friend Heejin has discovered Kim Hyunjin, it seems like they’re getting well acquainted in the back seat of Jiwoo’s car, “ummmm.” Jinsoul holds open as she sees Hyunjin-“HEY I SAID NO IE TOUCHING IN THE JIWOOMOBILE!”  

 

Jinsoul starts to laugh as the two in the back part like the Red Sea. Jiwoo huffs with aggression and starts to drive them to theoretically the best night of their lives…

 

At least that’s what they’ve been told.

 

~~~~

 

It’s quite the opposite of Jinsoul’s best night of her life. She’s really bored and sitting in the corner watching everyone dance with each other as cheesy pop music pounds over the speakers. She swirls some spiked punch in her hand, she was just keeping it with her so nobody offered her anymore.

 

“Mom do you have my dress?” Sooyoung asks Dasom as they’re speeding down the backroads. Sooyoung screams when Nana hits a curve too hard as she’s trying to pull her pants off.  

 

Jinsoul peeks around for her friends, she’s gotten multiple stares and compliments tonight from familiar faces and complete strangers. People couldn’t even believe it was her Jung ing Jinsoul was probably best dressed at prom. She even caught Rose staring at her in awe at one point.

 

“Does my makeup look okay?” She asks as she pops her lips after putting lipgloss on. Her Mama gives her a thumbs up and smiles widely before helping her put fake lashes on. Sooyoung kinda loved getting dolled up.

 

She touches her face in habit, Jinsoul misses her glasses. She misses her mom, she misses her bed. She misses Sooyoung. Jinsoul shakes her head, she was being so lame right now. She looks around her at all the other people sitting down chatting and eating food. Sooyoung told her to have fun but here she was sulking.  

 

Sooyoung stares at the flashing lights from the gym. “S-should I go in? What if I embarrass her or something?” Sooyoung really didn’t care, she never really got embarrassed by these things anymore. But she didn’t want to make a fool of herself in front of Jinsoul.  

 

“Sweetie I’m sure Jinsoul will die from happiness once you surprise her...go in and have fun okay? We can pick you up when you’re ready.” Sooyoung nods and smiles before looking at her hands. They’re all rough looking from all the guitar lessons she took from the past two weeks. 

 

“And remember Sooyoung.” She looks at her mom and is thrown into a bucket of memories.

 

“Show them that beautiful smile!”  

 

Jinsoul downs the drink in her hand and almost throws up, “Yup that was stupid.” She puts the red cup down and stares into the crowd. Heejin is tryna throw it back on Hyunjin the star basketball player and star of breaking girls hearts and Jiwoo is chatting it up with the student council president Vivi. The older girl looks totally amused and a bit drunk. 

 

A pout forms on her face. 

 

What she would do for Sooyoung to be here.

 

“Hi I’m Sooyoung if you didn’t know me already.” Jinsoul’s eyes widen and she looks up. On the stage where the Dj was set up stands her Sooyoung and Kim Jungeun. 

 

Jinsoul almost falls out of her seat. “Jesus christ she looks so-“

 

 Hot ! Whew it’s hot in here huh!” Sooyoung fans her face a blush present on her cheeks. Jinsoul’s heart falls to her stomach. The cup in her hand crushed. Sooyoung was in a small black dress that stuck right to her. Her legs had small ripped tights on and her hair looked as silky as Jinsoul’s dress. 

 

Sooyoung walks up closer and there’s a few girls in the front trying to flirt but Sooyoung simply waves at them, “I was thinking we could do a little more than just dance around...who likes karaoke!” Jinsoul sways a bit at how sweet Sooyoung’s voice was. She was so perfect .

 

Cheers erupt in the gym and some people clap. Sooyoung is glancing everywhere as if she was looking for someone. But the someone she was searching for was in the corner stuck in the dark.  

 

Sooyoung starts to get nervous on stage, she couldn’t find Jinsoul. “Aight I guess you guys won’t mind if me and Jungeun start off right?” The students cheers again and an old beat flows through the gym.

 

Jinsoul recognizes it and lets herself giggle, it was a song called Candy Rain. Sooyoung’s made her listen to it before.   

 

Listen to this, I think of you when I do. 

 

Jungeun and Sooyoung start to move around to the heat as Jinsoul starts to subconsciously walk closer and closer to the crowd. Sooyoung sings and it’s like velvet but her eyes still wander around as she barely dances along with Jungeun. 

 

Girls are screaming guys are dancing like crazy. Jinsoul falls in love a bit more as Sooyoung dances and sings like a real star. Go figure she won all those talent shows. Jinsoul weaves through the crowd to get closer. Her chest getting tighter as she does. She’s speechless, Sooyoung was here.

 

The way she waved and smiled at everyone was so endearing. 

 

Jinsoul stands close enough to the stage to see the glitter on Sooyoung’s skin but far enough so she can’t notice her.  

 

But Sooyoung is searching hard, and she finally finds it. All she needs and all she wants.

 

My love.

 

When they lock eyes Sooyoung seems to radiate as she bounces and waves at Jinsoul and when Jungeun is singing her part Sooyoung mouths it to her.

 

This is for you.  

 

Jinsoul is stuck in place. Sooyoung’s eyes are only on her. It makes her feel like the only girl in the room. The only girl in the world.  

 

Clenching to the fabric of her dress she loses her breath as Sooyoung husks out the words to the rap. People start to notice Sooyoung is only singing to her, checking her up and down.

 

And maybe I wanted to see you in a pretty voice.

 

Sooyoung pauses and bends down a little to stare right at Jinsoul. She’s breathing a bit hard and her eyes shine through the dull stage lights. Jinsoul fully realizes Sooyoung was here.  

 

After Sooyoung swallows down all the jittery feelings she got from taking in Jinsoul’s appearance. She doesn’t mean to react the way she does, but she understands the phrase I could just eat you up. 

 

Jung Jinsoul.  

 

Jinsoul grabs the nearest girl for dear life when Sooyoung groans into the mic all the sudden when she stands back up. The girl slowly squirms out of her grip freaked out that some random dancing was grabbing her shoulders with clammy hands. 

 

The song ends all too quickly and everyone is clapping and already wanting to get on the stage. Most are drunk so it all seems amazing, but Jinsoul truly knows how special this night has just become. 

 

Sooyoung is breathing a bit hard and although she looks tired she seems to be the happiest girl alive. Jinsoul blushes and smiles back when Sooyoung sticks her tongue out at her and gives her a quick wink.  

 

Jinsoul just wanted to pull her to the nearest corner and have her all to herself. To tell her just how good she is and how good she looks. But Sooyoung has other plans. “Actually how about we slow it down?”  

 

Suddenly Sooyoung has a guitar and Jinsoul is panicking because this next song is for the prettiest girl in the blue dress Jung Jinsoul. People are staring at her with amused smirks on their faces and some of pure jealousy.

 

Sooyoung picks at the guitar and breathes into the mic, the nerves ring through her voice but it comes out so smooth Jinsoul thinks she’s dreaming. 

  

Just like a star across my sky.

 

Just like an angel of the page.  

 

You have appeared to my life.  

 

Sooyoung sings it with emotion and everyone either rocks slowly with their loved one or stands to stare at the girl on stage. 

 

Jinsoul melts and she tries to not let the tears fall. Sooyoung is singing to her... she’s singing this song to her.    

 

She’s not for sure what to do as Sooyoung holds their eye contact. It’s like a lullaby, Jinsoul hasn’t ever felt this way before. “I love you.” She whispers out and the boy next to her glances.

 

He leans over, “I love you too.” Jinsoul only scoots away and keeps staring at Sooyoung with a slack jaw. 

 

Sooyoung rasps out the last of the lyrics and strums the guitar a few more times. Jinsoul is stuck in a daze. Sooyoung was really something else. Nothing like the girl she had first met that first day in the bathroom. Had she always been this amazing and Jinsoul didn’t see it.

 

Jinsoul holds a hand over chest just to make sure she’s still alive after something like that. Sooyoung looks up and everyone claps again and of course the girl looks surprised. Jinsoul shakes her head, she couldn’t believe Sooyoung would doubt people wouldn’t like that. 

 

The athlete bows and hands the guitar back to Jungeun who looks a bit scared by her. Suddenly people are rushing to the stage, best friends wanting to do duets, boyfriends wanting to do the same as Sooyoung, drunken teens wanting to rap.  

 

Jinsoul stands in the middle of the crowd as Sooyoung gets stopped by multiple people. Time clicks by slowly the closer she gets, Sooyoung keeps glancing at her as she’s congratulated and greeted. Sooyoung starts to get impatient even, something Jinsoul has never seen. But she waits by for Sooyoung.

 

She can’t psychically move.

 

She can’t even breathe.

 

“Hi.” 

 

Sooyoung is staring down at her. Jinsoul swallows and blinks a few times. It’s like she wasn’t even real. 

 

But the kiss is...the one that Jinsoul initiates because she’s missed Sooyoung so much. Sooyoung is surprised by that too of course. Jinsoul can’t believe she is after all that. How couldn’t she be kissed after all that.

 

Jinsoul pulls the girl down and closer to her kissing her like her life depended on it. Sooyoung makes a cute noise when Jinsoul accidentally bites down on her lip. 

 

Pulling back Jinsoul opens her eyes and notices how blown Sooyoung’s pupils are, “um...I have to pee.” Sooyoung gives her a questionable look. “You wanna go with me?” The questionable look turns downright adorable as Sooyoung gets what Jinsoul’s implying. It’s borderline terrified with a healthy mix of excitement.  

 

Jiwoo is trying to find Jinsoul to tell her Sooyoung was here, but she’s too late seeing her friend already dragging the dopey athlete behind her. Jiwoo smiles at the two running off to be together.  

 

Being the fifth wheel for the most part, until she bumps into someone. “Woah watch...out.” Jiwoo is face to face with Kim Jungeun. Has she always been this pretty? “Oh hey! Um you sing really good!” Jiwoo squeaks out.

 

Jungeun stares at her for a moment before smirking, “thanks, you wanna dance?”  

 

Jiwoo smiles and nods before she’s swept away.

 

Oh brother.

 

~~~~

 

Sooyoung breaks the kiss because she was about to pass out and well she really wanted to talk to Jinsoul. Laying her head back on the stall door she tries to get her mind to stop spinning around.

 

She’s pretty sure she just had Jinsoul’s entire, “sorry about the tongue I don’t know what came over me.” Yeah...tongue in . Jinsoul looks at her sheepishly before backing away. But Sooyoung only pulls her right back in.  

 

Sooyoung thinks she actually might pass out. Jinsoul was now trying to fix their lipstick. “Wow.” She says breathlessly, Jinsoul was starting to be a really good kisser and Sooyoung was blew by the fact.  

 

Jinsoul’s fingers work against her lips, Sooyoung’s heart caught in . There’s goosebumps at the back of her neck.

 

After a beat or two they finally catch their breath and Sooyoung finally gets to look at Jinsoul’s dress. “You look beautiful Jinsoul.” Sooyoung had compose herself when she was singing when she had seen Jinsoul.   

 

Sooyoung’s never seen anyone so beautiful. She wasn’t sure how someone like Jinsoul could exist. The dress, her features, her color. 

 

How could someone’s eyes cut right through her like that. 

 

The girl blushes and shakes her head.“God Sooyoung can you get even more perfect.”

 

“I can ask you the same.” 

 

Jinsoul glares at her and holds a finger up, “no more from you tonight I might actually have an artery pop or something.” It’s not intended to be a joke but Sooyoung bursts out laughing still, leading to Jinsoul letting a few giggles out at as well.  

 

But like a light switch Jinsoul goes back to being serious patting on Sooyoung’s chest, “I missed you so much and you just come back looking like this and you…” 

 

Jinsoul gets a little sidetracked while checking Sooyoung out and quickly shakes out of it to go back to staring into her eyes, “That song you sung...Sooyoung if only you could have seen yourself up there.” She almost says it as if it wasn’t true. As if she’s speaking of something she dreams about. 

 

Sooyoung only smiles and fixes Jinsoul’s hair a bit that had become messy after their reuniting activities. “I missed you too, I’m glad you liked your surprise.”  

 

“I loved it I love…” I love you. “ I loved it so much Sooyoung.” 

 

“You’re the best.” 

 

Jinsoul kisses her again but it’s a lot slower this time around compared to the frantic ones before. This one reminds that Sooyoung that Jinsoul wasn’t going anywhere for a while, she’d be by her side for tonight and the next day and the next…  

 

“Sooo I watched your race today I appreciated the shoutout.” Sooyoung is still puckered up for her welcome home kisses when she blinks her eyes back open. Jinsoul is biting her lip teasingly. Sooyoung lets the heat rush to her face. 

 

Sooyoung transfixes on Jinsoul’s mouth, how she wishes them lips on hers. “Uh...um yeah I...um.” Jinsoul’s bottom lip pops out as she stumbles through the words. Fingers tickle at the nape of her neck making her squirm at the touch. “Hey Jinsoul?”  

 

The girl in front of her steps closer and tilts her head cutely. The hands on her neck drop to her waist, “will you be my girlfriend?” 

 

Jinsoul pretends to think for a moment, poking at her chin inquisitively. Sooyoung can feel her shaking however. Then all the sudden Sooyoung has a squealing girl clinging onto her. 

 

Sooyoung has won a lot today. She’s going to nationals, she’s being watched by one of the top universities, and she got the prettiest girl in the world to be her girlfriend.

 

The next thing she knows is that she’s smacking lips with Jinsoul again and Sooyoung knows she’s addicted to it. Gripping onto Jinsoul’s waist she deepens the kiss just a little more, trying to slip- 

 

Jinsoul pulls away, “I really want to make out with you right now but I think we should go dance.” Sooyoung’s lips still tingle and her head is empty. That’s just how sensual Jinsoul’s kisses are.

 

“Um...okay.”

 

The girls eyes flicker all over her face, “in five minutes.” Sooyoung thanks god for those extra five minutes. 

 

Because it leads her straight to heaven. 

 

~~~~

 

Jiwoo is pushing Jungeun off for the fifth time, “What are you some horndog?” The drunken girl that Jiwoo had been somehow stuck with pouts.

 

“They have hot dogs?” 

 

“No you’re weird and you keep grabbing my tush.” Jiwoo huffs out and smacks Jungeun’s hand away that was trying to seek out her strawberry shortcakes. 

 

Jungeun frowns, “but I’m so sad.”  

 

Jiwoo doesn’t know how she found her cute before. Thankfully she spots her friend Jinsoul looking awfully smug, dragging a very giddy Sooyoung behind her. Jiwoo stares between them. They’re smiling like idiots and keep bumping into each other and giggling. 

 

Then she sees the lips stick smudges. 

 

“GOD WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE.”  

 

Everyone ignores her and she has to witness true love, “look we’re dating.” Sooyoung, who had just broken a ton of girls and boys alike hearts. Holds her and Jinsoul’s interlaced fingers up to show Jiwoo. Sooyoung’s heads in the clouds, Jinsoul tasted like fruit punch and when she got a little aggressive it made Sooyoung’s toes curl.

 

Just like now, except it was because they were holding hands and that just made Sooyoung want to curl up from how warm she got.

 

“Great.” Jiwoo says and the couple’s smiles drop immediately. But Jiwoo don’t give a , “can you tell you’re friend to stop groping me.” She points are Jungeun who winks at Jinsoul.

 

Sooyoung instantly loses that dopey energy, “Kim get lost before you become a missing persons.” Jungeun dashes off at the tone of Sooyoung’s voice and Jiwoo is a bit impressed.

 

“Thanks.”

 

Jiwoo’s smile cracks at Sooyoung’s reply, “actually your girlfriend taught me guitar.” 

 

“She’s not my girlfriend!” Jiwoo stomps on the ground as Sooyoung and Jinsoul collectively make fun of her. God they were so annoying.

 

“Wait really?”

 

“Yup! Started lessons last week! I was really nervous to sing ya a song.” Jiwoo has to admit, they were really cute together. It made her sick.

 

Jinsoul visibly swoons, “jeez Sooyoung your so cool.” 

 

“And Hungry.” The athlete adds and Jiwoo rolls her eyes when Jinsoul turns and whispers and hot. 

 

Pointing to the snack bar Sooyoung’s eyes go wide and once again she’s left alone. Jiwoo would rather not be with a honeymoon couple. Heejin and Hyunjin were annoying because all they did was face.

 

Jiwoo wobbles around until someone pokes her shoulder. Turning around she gasps, it was Vivi from earlier. 

 

“Hey wanna dance?”

 

Jiwoo feels her heart pump at the pretty doe eyes.

 

Oh brother part two…

 

~~~~ 

 

“Sooyoung you can’t eat all the cheese!” Jinsoul pokes the girl in the tummy as she crams in every possible snack on the table. 

 

Sooyoung has a mouth full of crackers when she replies, “but imf hamvent-“ Sooyoung painfully gulps and answers, “I haven’t eaten since this morning!” She quickly cramming more stuff in and takes a full cup of punch and downs it. Sooyoung stares at it afterwards knowing something was different.

 

Jinsoul only smirks, “it’s spiked.” Sooyoung raises her brows but she’s not able to protest when Jinsoul takes a hold of her hands and starts to pull her towards the dance floor.

 

“Let’s dance baby!” Sooyoung giggles when Jinsoul spins her around and holds her close. 

 

The gym was blasting with music as they fall into the crowd again. Laughing and swaying together. Sooyoung sings to Jinsoul all night as they dance and she can’t bring herself to let go or even look away from the angel in front of her.

 

When the last dance comes Jinsoul rests in Sooyoung’s arms and they chat with their friends as they rock back and forth not really dancing.

 

Jinsoul hears the beat of Sooyoung’s own.

 

It’s in rhythm of hers.

 

~~~~

 

Sitting at the park watching the sunset is a favorite of Jinsoul’s. She hears the swish of the chain basketball net and the multiple bouncing balls and voices.

 

The swing slowly creaks as she rocks in it. Kicking her feet in the dirt she hums out in peace enjoying the cool breeze on her skin that summer was bringing. Below her sits her squirtle and on her neck sat a pretty necklace Sooyoung had gotten her for their first anniversary. 

 

It’s been a nice couple of months.

 

Probably the best Jinsoul’s ever had.

 

Sooyoung was one hell of a girl. If not the best.

 

Yeah she’s the best.

 

Summer was a time of relaxation and a lot of time spent with her girlfriend. Not everyday she spent with Sooyoung but somehow they always watched the sunset together, weather permitting. 

 

If the sun was out so was Sooyoung, Jinsoul was starting to think Sooyoung was made from it. 

 

“Hey beautiful what’s your name?” Jinsoul her lips at the voice and hides her blush. After all this time Sooyoung still made her blush. She was a teenager after all and she had a pretty cute girlfriend.

 

Turning she gives Sooyoung a teasing glare, “Jinsoul.” Looking the athlete up and down Jinsoul pushes her glasses up. Sooyoung had gotten an even darker tan and her hair was highlighted from the sun.  

 

Jinsoul couldn’t help but in air. Sooyoung was just too gorgeous. She had to be made from the sun. Sooyoung bites her lip cutely before sitting in the swing next to Jinsoul.  

 

So desperately she wants to hold Sooyoung’s hand but they always played this game out. No matter how much she missed Sooyoung, even if it had only been a few hours. “What’s yours cutie?” 

 

Sooyoung’s ears turn red as she does her little shy dance that Jinsoul loves so much, “it’s Sooyoung.” Jinsoul still melts at that gentle voice. Sooyoung then holds out her hand. “I think I like you.” 

 

Jinsoul stares into her brown eyes that glowed in the evening sun. “I think I like you too Sooyoung.” Jinsoul takes the hand in her own and tightens their fingers together. 

 

Sooyoung then whispers out, “let’s make an exchange, your heart for mine.” Jinsoul gets chills everytime because all she can think of is-

 

I love you 

I love you 

I love you

 

Sooyoung thinks the same and she’s tryna to find the right time to tell Jinsoul. Every Time they play this little game she wants to tell Jinsoul she thinks she loves her instead of likes. But she’s getting there. She still gets nervous around Jinsoul. She is the prettiest girl in the world after all.  

 

“If you can solve this equation.” Jinsoul blabbers and Sooyoung is being dragged to the pavements. Little kids are playing hopscotch and Jinsoul steals one of the pieces of chalk and goes to the corner of the courts.

 

Sooyoung’s kinda panicking, “Jinsoul you know I’m still bad at math.”

 

The girl ignores her and bends down to write a formula.

 

9x-7i>3(3x-7u)

 

“No you’re not, you've got a really good teacher.” Jinsoul winks and it makes Sooyoung’s nerves tingle.  

 

Not being able to control herself she grabs onto Jinsoul and groans out, “yeah I do and I really wanna kiss her right now.” Jinsoul screams as Sooyoung attacks her with a bunch of small kisses to the face before one lands on her lips.

 

The girl relaxes in Sooyoung’s hold then and they slowly move against each other. Some boys stare and the children chant ew but Sooyoung only smiles because Jinsoul’s as sweet as candy.

 

It took a long time, but they’ve perfected their kiss. A lot of practice and a lot of whining has come to this. And now Sooyoung knows to slowly move her lips at just the right angle to leave Jinsoul breathless every time.  

 

Every kiss to her however, brings chills down her spine and heat to her tummy. She really can’t get enough. So Jinsoul gets a lot of kisses. Just so that Sooyoung can chase that feeling that never fades away, it only gets stronger and stronger.

 

Just like her love for Jinsoul. 

 

But the girl cradles her face and pops their lips apart. “I know what you’re trying to do but you really need to solve this.” Sooyoung groans and gets a hug for reassurance. Hugs were the next best thing to kisses.

 

Going straight to work Sooyoung starts to solve it. Even with the help of some kids. It’s actually not difficult as she’s pointed in the right directions and when she gets the answer the chalk falls from her fingers.

 

i<3u 

 

Turning around Jinsoul is smiling and it shines in the waning light. “I think I love you Sooyoung.” Her chest clenched in the way it did when she won her first race. 

 

The way it did when she first kissed Jinsoul.

 

That first night when she walked her home.

 

“So let’s make a deal.”

 

Jinsoul holds out her hand, it’s a reverse flashback to their first encounter. 

 

“My love for yours.” 

 

Sooyoung is at a loss of words. Running was her first love for sure. But right in front of her nose scrunched from hot air and eyes borderline tearful. Was her forever love. 

 

The girl that she had exchanged her first love to.

 

The girl that showed her how to smile again.

 

Jung Jinsoul. 

 

“An exchange.” 

 

Sooyoung stumbles forward and just like when Jinsoul won her relay at the sports festival she pulls her into a tight hug. Because not only was Sooyoung a winner, Jinsoul was too.

 

That girl had won her heart when she had never expected it.

 

And winners always got the prize. 

 

“I love you Jinsoul.”  

 

Yes.  

 

And she accepted the exchange.  

 

~~~~ 

 

Well y’all I’m about to cry! How was it? I hope you all enjoyed this and it was the ending you wanted!! I had lots of fun writing this and it turned out longer than expected shout out to my friend for giving me the idea and shout out to all da readers for supporting me holla at ya hoe! I’m playing but I’ve been looking at this chapter for a long time...I guess I was really nervous about posting it but with some rewrites I think I’ve finally got it! Or maybe I was tired of looking at it. 

 

Thank you lots of love mwah!