Impending (Sequel)

Drabbles | JENLISA Edition
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Sorry, that traffic on 31st street is crazy.” Jennie occupies the seat across from the two women who stopped talking when she made her presence known.

“Ah, there’s a bazaar sale going on there. Was caught up too.” says Jisoo before she raises her hand to get the attention of any waiter.

“No wonder.” Jennie sets her bag on the other side of the table and her long coat on the space beside her. “Have you ordered?”

“Nope, about to. We’re waiting for you.” Chaeyoung responds.

 

They picked their brunch items and thanked the kind waiter before he makes his way to the counter. Not long after, three long glasses of cold water are served first and the waiter told them it’ll take 20-25 minutes to serve their food.

They aren’t that hungry anyway so the waiting time doesn’t bother any of them.

 

“How are you?” Jisoo asks after she takes a sip from her glass. “You’ve been pretty busy quite recently.”

“Right. We could barely reach you.”

Jennie takes her time sipping her water before replying. “Sorry, been mostly out of the country to assist the newly opened branch in Japan.”

“Figures.” Chaeyoung replies. “Have you been resting though? I saw your Instagram stories and posts the other week and you’re in Seoul that morning then suddenly you’re in Japan in the afternoon and still managed to end your day back in Seoul.”

“Traveling like Japan and South Korea is just a walking distance. You need to get a rest, Jennie.” Jisoo says with a frown.

Jennie chuckles, deeply appreciating how her friends are still looking out for her every chance they could. “I am fine. It’s not like I am flying commercially anyway. The company is allowing me to use the private jet.”

Chaeyoung shrugs. “As they should. Let me know if Mino oppa is abusing you.”

Jennie finally laughs at that. “You tell him that. He said Hi by the way and also asked if the both of you are free enough for dinner next week.”

“I’ll get back to you on that. I have almost an entire week booked for the agent next week.” Jisoo says.

“Right, found some potential place to buy and move?”

The oldest in the group shakes her head. “Not yet but I’ll visit all the sites she listed. I just need a spacious lawn, backyard or something.”

That makes Chaeyoung laugh. “You’re sounding like an ahjumma heading to retirement, unnie.”

Jisoo gently shoves the younger beside her and says, “Shut up.”

Jennie just watches and chuckles at the interaction before she continues. “And you, Chaeng? Can you go? How’s it going?”

“I’ll see but same old. Should’ve not accepted my sister’s offer because look at me now, I am stuck teaching kids to play instruments and understand musical notes.”

Two waiters made their presence known and start serving them their food. After they bid them thanks, Jennie continues. “You love teaching though.”

“And the kids you’re telling us are like in their early 20s. Is that the ahjumma talking inside you? Calling your students that’s around our age, kids?” Jisoo grins.

Chaeyoung rolls her eyes. “Whatever unnie.” Jisoo will never not find ways to retort, of course.

“I’ll let him know. That dude misses hanging out with you, I think.” Jennie says, now starting to eat her share.

Chaeyoung snaps her fingers which made Jisoo look at her weirdly. “You’re not in class nor in the studio making music, Chaeng. What’s the snap?”

The youngest around the table grins apologetically. “Sorry, out of habit. Anyway, we can fix probably a late dinner or something. I’m pretty sure Jisoo unnie will not look for a property at night, no?”

“Who knows.” Jisoo shrugs before she starts eating.

Another roll of eyes from Chaeyoung. “Well..” obviously dismissing the remark from the oldest. “Let us know what day the both of you can be free free. I’ll adjust. We’ll adjust.”

 

Jisoo didn’t respond this time, too busy with her food.

So Jennie took that as a yes.

 

“Okay. I’ll text both of you.”

Chaeyoung smiles. “Perfect. I can finally ask him why he is letting his cousin endure the damn flights instead of his .”

Jennie chuckles. “You know why. He’s the next in line for the President position. Uncle is planning to hand the position soon and the board had already voted him to become the next Chairman because grandpa is too old for it. The old man wants to spend his official retirement years away from Seoul with grandma.”

“And you? Are you going to move up?”

Jennie shrugs. “I honestly don’t have plans for it. I like where I am now but you know how uncle’s brain works.”

“Vouching for that. I remember how you panicked when he told you that he wants you to replace him instead of his son, Mino oppa.”

Chaeyoung snaps again while trying to swallow her food in.

Jisoo groans. “Stop the snapping!”

Chaeyoung grins. “Sorry.” Before looking at Jennie again. “Oh, I remember that. And Mino oppa was so happy so he can continue painting and doing exhibits. Bad luck though.”

“Not like he can get out of it. He’s always been the next in line. I’m just lucky, I think.”

“Lucky? Not that, Jennie. That’s because you worked so damn hard for years straight out of college. Even working while you’re finishing graduate school.” Jisoo says.

“I won’t even be surprised if they’d vote you up top for the Vice President role after kicking that sleazy ex-vice president just so oppa can rely on someone.”

“Bet they would. You worked day and night to help that company to where it is now. Even almost forgetting you had personal life to attend to.” Jisoo says.

Jennie briefly paused but then shrugs as she continues to eat.

Jisoo and Chaeyoung noticed it and the latter almost kicked Jisoo in the shin for running like that.

 

It’s been 4 years since Lisa and Jennie broke up.

4 years since Lisa knocked on Chaeyoung’s door that night, drunk and crying. Up until now, Chaeyoung still doesn’t know how her best friend was able to reach her house in one piece without getting into an accident. Lisa was beyond wasted that even the next day, the woman was still a bit intoxicated.

Lisa ended up vomiting almost the entire day, had severe chills, and was coughing so bad. Chaeyoung panicked and called in her cousin that’s a doctor to check on her, fearing that she might be in the early stage of alcohol poisoning.

Her tests came back negative but had to be attached to an IV fluid until she sobered up.

Even in that state, Lisa called out for Jennie’s name, asking Chaeyoung to call Jennie and remind her to eat or take a rest. It broke Chaeyoung’s heart to see her crying her heart out until she had fallen asleep but she couldn’t do anything. She only called Jisoo after a week about it and learned that Jennie was no different.

 

Though it was mutual and Jennie admitted that she had fallen out of love, the break up drove her to begin overworking herself. Arriving early and leaving very late, that’s been her routine for a week. Arriving at her own empty and dark flat was depressing and lonely hence she chose to overwork so when she’s home, her body and mind were left with no choice but to rest instead of typing then deleting text messages and overthinking — that’s what she told Jisoo.

Jennie told herself that it was what she wanted, that it’s better this way than constantly lying to herself and to Lisa. There’s a chunk of her that was relieved of course but 8 years of commitment isn’t really hard to move on from especially when the last image you had with your ex was a genuine smile behind the crying pair of eyes, she felt horrible.

Was she made aware of what happened to Lisa? No, because Lisa begged Jisoo and Chaeyoung not to tell Jennie about it when she finally came to her senses, in her words,

“It shouldn’t be Jennie’s obligation to talk to me because I decided to be dumb and almost poisoned myself. Jennie had suffered long enough. Please, don’t tell her. I won’t do it anymore, I promise.”

 

They continue eating while talking almost everything they wanted to catch up with one another when Chaeyoung’s phone goes off just when she finished her meal.

As her screen lit up, all three of them saw the caller ID which immediately made Chaeyoung look at Jennie whose eyes are glued to her phone. Chaeyoung sighs. A lot of things happened in the span of 4 years, that includes Jennie’s regrets.

“Answer it.” Jisoo whispers and Chaeyoung did.

 

“What’s up, Lalalalalalalisa!” Jennie ends up looking down solemnly.

“Chaeng can you shu—wait, are you outside?”

“How did you know?”

“The background is too noisy for it to be your studio.”

“Still the most observant and attentive, I see.”

Chaeyoung hears a chuckle and because she’s sitting beside Jisoo, the latter could hear it too. The sound immediately brings a smile to both of them. “Unnies are here, by the way.”

“Unnies?” Inquires the lass.

There’s a clear silence after that question, Chaeyoung quickly looks at them for confirmation. Jennie isn’t even looking at her so Jisoo gestures for her to just do it. “Jisoo and Jennie unnies.”

“Ah. Tell them I said Hi.”

Chaeyoung pulls the phone away from her ear, turns it on speaker. “You say it yourself.”

“Oh. Hi unnies.”

“Hello Monkey! When are you coming back?”

They hear her chuckle, that’s the only time Jennie finally looks up but her eyes are looking at the phone.

“I am not sure yet. They wanted me to stay for another month or so, not really sure but I’ll be going home this year.”

“As you should. It’s been almost three years! Did you even improve your gaming skills or are you just going to come home and remain a loser?”

Another laugh, sweet as ever and Jennie didn’t even notice herself smiling. Jisoo and Chaeyoung’s eyes are all looking at her too.

“Hah! I made progress, after all, I have someone here who’s gamer head as you are.”

 

Jennie’s heart immediately feels that sting she had grown to know and be familiar with. It’s been constantly making its presence known for the past two years.

 

“Ah, Chan?”

“Yup.” Then all of them heard voices at the back, calling her name. “I need to go because these people would seem to always lose their compass when I am not around.”

Jisoo smiles. “Okay, Miss International Choreographer.” She teases.

“Shut up. I’ll get going now. See you soon. I’ll call you later, Chaeng.”

“Okay, just text me. Take care!”

“Bye Lisa!”

“…”

“Bye!”

 

Little over a year after they broke up, Lisa decided to pursue her first career choice and quit working as the chief strategy officer under the empire that her parents laid out for them; for her to become a dancer, or if her hard work will pay off, to be a known choreographer — which is where she is currently heading.

Being the only daughter, the youngest, and a daddy’s and mommy’s girl among the three Manoban off-springs, her dad and mom had a hard time accepting it but after several kisses and months of talking her way out of it, Mr. and Mrs. Manoban were both left with no choice but to say yes. They’ve seen their daughter crumble and lost her will to continue under their management after the breakup; they’re well aware of it and neither of them hated or despised Jennie for that.

Lisa promised them that she’ll be back, just this time, she wants to explore and get away.

 

Her siblings, Jackson and BamBam, were pissed at her decision at first only because they don’t want their baby sister to be away from them but had grown to accept it after a long while. Jokingly told her she’s going to be under a slave contract once she’s back. Losing the best CSO their company ever had will take a toll but they’ll manage, they managed.

For the span of three years, Lisa traveled the world. Attending or teaching dance classes until a huge break landed on her lap when she was asked to direct and choreograph a halftime Super Bowl show by a well-known Western Artist. Apparently, based on what the manager told her, the artist came across one of her videos online and knew she’s the one. Since then, Lisa barely had any time for a vacation. That project became the launch pad of her career and she’s extremely grateful for it though it costs her to miss a lot of celebrations back in Seoul.

Instead of suffering from overbearing jet lags going back and forth, her entire family would fly to wherever country and city she is staying for Christmas and New Year for the past years. During birthdays, her entire family will schedule a trip outside Seoul for a quick vacation. Chaeyoung and Jisoo would often visit her in her Los Angeles dance studio when they get a chance.

 

Jennie? She settled to watching videos, and purchasing magazines that Lisa would be part of. Weird? Oh, she knows. She shouldn’t be doing it when she was the one who lost that spark but regrets don’t come ahead of time. It never does.

Jennie got her freedom.

She was able to do whatever she wants and thought she was happy until that one night about two years ago. Prior to that, Jennie had the most stressful months she had ever encountered in her young life. Sleeping late, waking up early, skipping meals, and attending grueling meetings because one of their employees which was working under her department said to have messed up a stitch.

Having a soaring corporation that has fashion, jewelry, and events planning subsidiary companies messed up a crucial stitch of a dress for an actress who endorsed and wore their brand on the red carpet of Festival de Cannes was an overall embarrassment, if there’s a word beyond that, that could be it. They were a tad bit lucky because the red-carpet partner of the actress noticed the potentially scandalous wardrobe malfunction before it slid off her body.

The hundreds if not thousands of cameras captured it though and the world berated them for it.

Their stocks went for a nose dive. Their partners are slowly pulling out their investments. Their brand ambassadors filed for contract termination. Not wanting to get a single splatter of the disaster. They were so close to bankruptcy at that point until the actress came forward months after because her conscience was slowly eating her.

One member of her stylist team was the one who messed up a cut. The dress was sent to them prior to the event and never had any problems but that staff decided to make tweaks for God knows what and ended up compromising the stitches.

 

It took them several weeks to finally climb back up and having a petty uncle who’s the President and Chief Executive Officer of the company who’s been dragged into the mud for months made them struggle a bit because he refused to accept the investments from the partners who quickly cut off their ties. But the company recovered and has now tripled if not quadrupled their income prior to the scandal because Jennie took it upon herself to make a huge leap for the fashion company.

All that stress and pressure almost took her off the railings but managed to collect herself before she breaks until that one night, when she came home very exhausted, very drained. She was in her dining area, eating her Chinese take-outs when she decided to watch any videos from YouTube and stumbled upon one of Lisa’s, it was a behind the scene of the Super Bowl show that year.

 

She was not able to watch that year’s halftime show because of the circumst

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter