chapter i

The Descartes of Modern ery
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

TAKE A WALK ON THE WILD SIDE

CHAPTER I

 

 

 

 

The sound of the clock ticking on the far-away wall, right above the door to the employees' break-room, annoys Do Kyungsoo far more than usual. It reminds him of Kim Junmyeon,  former classmate of his that lived down the road from him, who managed to convince him to participate in a couple sessions of hypnotism, that did jack besides waste Kyungsoo's time — last he's heard, he's some big-shot psychologist in the capital, so they were useful for something, at least. The clock isn't really that bad, truthfully speaking, it's the lack of any cars pulling up to the gas station, the sight of the sun descending slowly into the forest, the cicadas nearly screaming inside Kyungsoo's brain, and Oh Sehun incessantly popping that damn bubble gum as he flips through some third-rate gossip magazine from the stand placed near the entrance doors.

"Sehun?" Kyungsoo calls out, elbows perched on the counter as he pinches the space in between his eyebrows.

"Hmm?" Pop.

"Can you please stop that?" Kyungsoo looks up to stare Sehun down who is still very much engrossed in his reading.

"Stop what?" Pop.

"Breathing, you ing !" Kyungsoo erupts, storming outside through the sliding doors, hands searching in his pockets for his cigarettes and lighter. He can clearly hear Sehun laughing all the way from the back of the gas station, laughing that signature laughter of his that resembles a hysteric hyena being forced to skin itself alive. It grates Kyungsoo's ears, but at least there's something other than the dull background noises he's had to deal with ever since the start of his shift.

"You're far too uptight." Sehun chuckles, as he leans against the wall besides him.

"Yeah? You're far too annoying."

"Touche." Sehun raises his hands in defeat.

Sehun continues popping his gum, as Kyungsoo keeps inhaling and exhaling out of his cigarette, albeit this time, far more quieter. Out of lack of something to preoccupy himself with, Kyungsoo stares at Sehun from the corners of his eyes, as inconspicuously as possible. 

In a town as boring and uneventful as theirs, people become the most interesting thing. It is no surprise, then, that they've known each other for the better part of their lives, though they can hardly say they've been friends for as long. Their friendship did begin as a sort of mutual understanding of the hardships they both had to face with mothers as unreasonable and childish as theirs.

"How's your mum?" Kyungsoo asks, flicking the of his cigarette into the distance. He's gonna be the one to sweep the ground later, damn it.

"Same as always." Sehun answers, his face scrunching up. "Threw a fit a couple days ago when she got your mum's letter; copped herself a whole new kitchen, huh?" Sehun bumps his shoulder against Kyungsoo. 

The brat is skinny as all hell, and it hurts a lot more than it should've, but Kyungsoo has far too much pride to actually rub that spot.

"Yep. Bugged my father for weeks to sink in his money in house renovations. Claimed she's ashamed to show her face in front of her co-workers when her toaster needs a good slap to function properly."

Sehun nods in understanding, though it's blatantly apparent that neither gets it. 

"Well, my mum was pissed enough to send my dad to the sofa to think about what he's done."

"Classic."

"She told me to invite you over for dinner when you've got time, though."

"That's sweet."

While he and Sehun haven't been friends since their childhood, their mothers, much like them, grew up together in this town, and have always been caught up in some sort of obsessive competition with each other, that they even dragged their kids into. Neither he, nor Sehun, gave it too much thought — they even conspired against their mothers when it benefitted them.

"Even for a town this ty, it is far too quiet for a Thursday night." Sehun grumbles, staring at the empty road ahead. It's been hours since they've last seen a car passing by.

"Uh-huh. Not even one greasy truck driver stopping by for non-alcoholic beer. That, is weird."

Kyungsoo doesn't mind not being bothered by customers all night long, that's for sure, but he's close to losing his mind with how boring this shift has turned out to be, and it's only just begun. Graveyard shifts were supposed to be filled with heart-pumping, blood-running action, not wasting time killing and counting the mosquitoes that snuck in.

A pair of headlights in the far distance puts a stop to his train of thoughts, as both he and Sehun whip their heads simultaneously to stare at it.

"A customer?"

"Could be." Kyungsoo says, without trying to get his hopes up.

"10 bucks it's not." Sehun offers.

"Deal."

To avoid scaring the possible customer away before they even set foot out of their car, both of them get back inside, Kyungsoo slipping behind the counter, and Sehun kneeling down the shelves in the back for restocking. 

Whoever it is, customer or not, they sure are slow as hell. Kyungsoo is already counting the loose change in his pockets to make Sehun's life harder, when the sound of the sliding doors opening brings him out of his daydreaming.

He immediately slaps on his award-winning retail smile, and greets them.

"Hello. How may I help?"

If Kyungsoo is shocked when he finally looks upon the long-awaited patron, he doesn't let it show. He had, sincerely, expected some redneck with a loose grasp on basic etiquette, and personal hygiene, yet the man before him is the furthest from that.

First of all, he's tall, which immediately tickles Kyungsoo the wrong way. He has to crane his neck to properly look at his face, and he's had dealt with enough neck pains from hanging around Sehun throughout the years. Second of all, he's impeccably dressed. While his face is certainly a tad bit goofy, and ridiculous, his suit is ironed to perfection, no crease or lint to be seen; Kyungsoo's looked carefully.

What in the world is a man of his stature doing here?

"Hello. May I get a small bottle of sparkling water? Any brand is fine." The man replies, tone polite, yet not overly so, as he already pulls out the money out of his wallet. Kyungsoo can appreciate that.

"Certainly, sir. Just a moment."

Kyungsoo doesn't have to go all the way in the back to get the bottle out of the refrigerator, as Sehun promptly appears next to him, holding a Perriere in his hand, looking absolutely disgruntled. Kyungsoo fights the grin of victory from appearing on his face as he scans the water, and hands it to the man waiting patiently. 

"Here you go, sir. That would be £2, please."

The man nods, handing him a 5 note. Their fingers touch when Kyungsoo takes the note, but doesn't think too much about it. In hindsight, this is where the mess truly started.

"Here's your change! Have a good night!"

The man is staring wide-eyed at Kyungsoo, throwing the poor kid completely off guard. He is unsure what to do as the guy is staring at him nearly transfixed, and thinks of nothing else other than manually taking the guy's hand and putting the change in it. 

What a ing weirdo.

"Have a safe ride, sir."

"You can see them too, can't you?"

"Excuse me?"

"Them." The man stresses, flinging his arms around. "The spirits."

"What?" Kyungsoo asks again, utterly confused. The helpless look he throws Sehun confirms that his friend is just as gobsmacked by the situation, and thus, absolutely useless. 

"I could feel it when I touched your hand. You don't really look the part, I mean — I didn't expect somebody with your talent, and powers to work at a gas station, but now that I think about it, it's a brilliant cover! How clever!"

Kyusoo blinks, opening his mouth without a single sound going out. It is perhaps a first in his life, being so overwhelmed by a situation that he's rendered silent.

"Sir, I'm sor —"

"Please! You've got to help me!" The man throws himself over the counter in desperation, taking Kyungsoo's hands in his. Kyungsoo is so startled, he nearly topples backwards.  While he is certainly weirded out by the situation, he can't say he's genuinely frightened by the man. He's sure he can take him out easily if needed be. "You're only one who can help me! I'll do anything!"

"Sir, I think there's a misunderstandi —"

"I'll pay anything, no matter the cost!"

Kyungsoo pauses then.

"Pay?"

The man nods viguriously, nearly bursting into tears. "However much you want."

"You truly are a chosen child, yes." Kyungsoo's tone is somber, one hand rubbing at his chin thoughtfully. "They torment you, the spirits, don't they?" 

The man nods, teary eyed. 

"Yes, yes, my child. That will be no more — but first, come with me. This is no place to talk about these matters." 

Kyungsoo walks out from behind the counter, shoulder brushing against the chest of a frozen Sehun, staring at him with a look of unadultered respect and admiration. The man doesn't protest when Kyungsoo wraps his hand around his forearm, dragging him outside the gas station, and stopping near the man's car, an undoubtedly expensive, shiny Italian brand car, Kyungsoo neither recognizes, nor knows how to pronounce.

"This is my phone number. Call me exactly three days from now on to discuss this matter more. Do not call me sooner than that. The spirits have become aware of our interaction, and are bound to make a move. Go, now."

The man doesn't say another word, solemnly listening to all that Kyungsoo is telling him. He doesn't question anything, but merely lets himself be guided into the driver's seat by Kyungsoo. It is only when Kyungsoo has shut the door, and bid him goodbye, that the man finds his voice again.

"Chanyeol. My name is Park Chanyeol. Thank you, truly."

And then, the engine comes to life with a very expensive purr, and Park Chanyeol drives back the same way he came, getting farther and farther away from the town.

Kyungsoo nearly collapses when he's letting out the breath of air he's been helding captive inside his over-exerted lungs. The power has nearly entirely been drown from his body, Kyungsoo having to drag his feet against the ground back into the gas station, where an impatient Sehun awaits him, perched on the counter, arms crossed over his chest, as he dones a stern look on his face.

"What was that just now?"

"What w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter