finale - rise and shine

Thick And Thin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

The first thing that Jisoo had in mind when she opened her eyes was, why did the afterlife look so much like a hospital room? She didn't remember much about what happened, she only recalled that moment when she saw so much blood dripping from the mattress. The nurse said that it was the remaining of her placenta, but she knew there was more than what she'd told her. And everything happened so fast when she started to feel so lightheaded, she shuddered when the room felt so cold. Her body weakened, she couldn't feel her leg at first, and the sensation raised up to her thigh, to her waist, and to her arms. She recalled that she started crying and Yixing was teary too, and that's when she realized that she was going to die.

She never thought that she would die this soon. She didn't want to die, she still wanted to live her life with her husband for years ahead. What would happen to Yixing? He loved her, he said that so much to her, and she knew how precious her being for him that he often said that he couldn't live without her. And what now? She's dying, then what about him?

It felt, Jisoo had no idea how to describe her feeling now. When she woke up, all she could think about was, where she was? Was anyone here? Did anyone hear her calling? Because she was trying to find somebody, but the tube in muffled her voice. It was uncomfortable, but at least it made her breathing more convenient. Then a nurse stepped into her room, Jisoo was glad to see somebody—that she realized after a moment, was a human. She didn't die, whatever just happened to her, it didn't take her to the afterlife. She was relieved.

The nurse walked up to her with a bright smile, she murmured something like, "Welcome back, Professor Kim. We've been waiting for you." and she injected something on her IV line, and Jisoo felt so sleepy that she fell asleep several seconds afterward.

When she woke up again for the second time, she was in a different room. It was bigger, the room that she guessed was the same room which she was in at the previous time she was here. A doctor, who introduced herself as the resident in the shift, was checking her vitals with a nurse who was injecting a medicine on her IV line.

"Is my husband here?" it was the first question that she asked once she didn't find anyone else in the room beside them three. The doctor said that they were about to call him after making sure that she was stable. was dry, she asked for some water and have two glasses of it after the nurse inclined the mattress to have her half-sit. She said it would reduce the sedation effect of her faster, and Jisoo muttered as soft 'thanks' for that.

The next thing that she realized after a few moments was that her stomach was no longer as big as before. She rubbed on it almost panicked, but then she recalled that she had gone through the labor. She had a baby boy, and God, she recalled how happy she was when they put the baby on her chest. She couldn't believe that she's finally able to see the little creature who had been kicking non-stop inside her stomach. He was so small that she was afraid to hold him, that she only put her hands at the back of his head and his little . Jisoo was wondering where he was now, because she missed him and she wanted to see him.

"What happened?" she then asked the doctor who was checking on her EKG now.

"You had massive bleeding when you delivered the baby, and that put you in a coma. The good news is, everything is fine with you now. You're healing fast, and that's what we're going to say to your husband. Our nurse is calling him right now, we're expecting him to be here as soon as possible." the doctor explained.

"My baby?" she asked her again.

"Oh, he's adorable. He's home now, and you might want to prepare yourself when you see him later, because he's much bigger than the last time you saw him."

Jisoo frowned her forehead upon hearing the information, the baby was much bigger than the last time she saw him? What's that supposed to mean? 

"How long have I been sleeping?" 

The doctor smiled kindly before she answered her, "About a month and a half. And your husband had been here every day to see you." she informed. 

He did? It's still surprising that Yixing would do something like that for her, knowing how busy he was with his work, but Jisoo couldn't help but feel so touched with his dedication to staying with her in this messy situation. It's hard to believe that it had been that long. She had so many thoughts in her head right now, so many questions to ask that she wasn't sure from where to begin. It'd been a month a half, how had he survived this that long? In between managing his time for work, raising a baby, and staying with her. Did he even have time to look after himself? A month and a half was not a short period of time, she was wondering if he was okay now. The resident said that they were calling him by now, and knowing how he was, she could imagine how Yixing must be rushing his way here.

She waited. felt dry and sore again, and she asked for more water. While she took it, she recalled that it felt like she had been dreaming. All this didn't seem real—how she had been in a coma for that long. Now that she knew Yixing had been here every day, she recalled that she indeed had this dream to have Yixing sat next to her and told her so many stories. Heck, he talked a lot she had this thought that she actually never saw him talking that much for her whole life. Yixing told her about his days in the office, he showed her the video of their baby, how Rui had been a very adorable one and how he had the same lips and eyelashes as her. Was that real? she thought. Because there was this one time when he sobbed on her, she didn't really remember what he said but it was so heartbreaking to hear him that time that Jisoo felt so miserable. 

And Jisoo had no idea how many minutes had past when she heard his voice from afar, seemed like he was talking with the nurse outside. And then he rushed his way into the room, and Jisoo couldn't hold back her smile to see him. There was the love of her life, her air to breathe, her everything. Yixing seemed like he had jumped out of the bed when he heard the news because he was here in his sleeping set, hair ruffled messily, and face pale like he just saw a ghost. And his eyes were teary, Jisoo reached out her arms because she wanted to hold him. She missed him so much.

"You look so ugly when you cry." she said while she wiped the tears on his face, and she was serious with her words. She liked him better when he smiled, because he looked more charming when he did. And she chuckled when she said that he was a crybaby, Yixing mimicked her laugh and leaned in to kiss her. And she was relieved. It's real, he was real, all this was real. She didn't die, and she was relieved.

"How are you feeling?" Yixing asked a moment after he pulled away. The tears were gone now, he sat at the empty space right next to her. He had her hand clasped with his, and Jisoo put them on her chest to hold with her other hand.

"Never better." she answered him, and right then she wrapped her arms around his neck to pull him in and held her tight like it was the last day of her life.

 

The next day, Yixing brought Rui to the hospital. Jisoo was amazed by how big he was. Though yesterday's doctor had reminded her about this, she was still surprised. Everybody said that he's the male version of her, though Jisoo couldn't see it yet because she thought all baby just looked the same. But she admitted that he had her lips, and he had his father's sparkling dark eyes, and his nose too. The OB and a pediatric came to see them checking on both of them, and since Jisoo wanted to feed him, they were there to assist her to make the first latch after giving her prolactin to stimulate the milk formation.

For several days they trained the baby feed from her, while she also had a physical therapist helping her to train her weak muscles and moved her limbs. Yixing took some days off from the office, and had Zitao delivered all the documents he had to sign to the hospital while he stayed with her all the time. And when it's time to finally be discharged, Jisoo couldn't wait for more. She wanted to be home, she wanted to be around only with her family, to lay down on her bed with Rui, to spend her time with her husband, and everything else. She was excited that Rui even cooed with her in her arms. It was a nice Saturday, the sky was clear, Jisoo never saw the sky was that clear in Seoul for so much long, her mood was so good. Her parents were with them to pick her up, her father even flew from Prague for her and she was so happy to have everyone around. She had no idea that more people were coming to see her, until she was home and welcomed by all the people in the family.

"Welcome home!" they cheered up, somebody even popped the party popper that got the baby squirming in her arms. 

She almost couldn't believe her eyes to that she was teary when Yixing pulled the wheelchair behind her to greet everyone in the living room. Everyone, like literally, every single one in the family was there. She was so happy to see Minseok flew back from London, and even Yixing's grandfather came directly from Beijing to see her and his great-grandson. What surprised her more that even Xiaotong's mother was here, the woman greeted her awkwardly but Jisoo could see that something was fixed here between her and her daughter, and she was glad.

Yixing took the baby from her as everyone surrounded her for a hug. Yifei was here too, and she was tearing when she wrapped her arms around her. One by one people welcomed her, Jisoo spoke with them, genuinely happy for their presence. She was more thankful that Yixing had arranged this for her, saying that it would great to have everyone gathered once in a while and her homecoming was a perfect event for them.

Jisoo was so touched to see him willing to do all the works when she was too weak to do heavier works, it was such a beautiful view to see him cradling their baby in his arms, he trained the baby to be bilingual by speaking with him in Mandarin. And when he was with the baby, Yixing looked like the happiest person in the world.

"You see, I still can't believe this sometimes. All I think when I look at him is, oh my God, I'm a father. God, this baby is mine. I can't believe it, really. I mean, think about it, one day we were young, wild and free, and another day we have all this. You got a wife, you got a child, and you realize it's all you've ever wanted in your life. You don't understand what I'm saying? Go get married then." she heard him talking. She turned her head around and found him with Luhan, Minseok, and Sehun at the corner of the living room, holding up Rui as if he was to show him off to the bachelors while mischievously teasing them about getting a girlfriend (or a wife to be precise).

When their eyes met, he gave her the sweetest smile that showed her both of his deep dimples, she looked away as she felt the blush creeping up her face. She couldn't believe how he managed to get her this embarrassed like she was that teenage girl spazzing over her crush, she got her attention back to the girls and listened to them talking about this latest season Dior bag instead.

 As they had their lunch, they were cramping themselves on the big dining table (it was origi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter