011 - love of his life

Thick And Thin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

Yixing always thought that he was a composed person. He was organized in the most chaotic situations, and he was still able to stay calm when facing a critical condition. He never thought that in his life he could feel so panicked, as panic as today.

Since the morning he wanted to stay home, because Jisoo's contractions were getting stronger and more intense. She'd been with the pain for three days already, the contraction frequency was getting higher though it still came and went away irregularly. Yixing wanted to take her to the hospital, but her mother insisted that because the contractions were not yet intense, it would be useless if they left early. And since he had no ovaries, Yixing decided that he didn't get to have the opinion.

And Jisoo was being Jisoo. She had been a very strong woman for him, rarely was she in a situation where she would complain unless it was extremely painful for her. She had a high tolerance in enduring the pain that sometimes Yixing felt like he could feel the ache while watching her. And he knew that his wife has been in pain for several days, but she never said anything. But with a history of a severe back injury, Yixing knew best how painful the contractions Jisoo was feeling right now.

He was in the office when his mother-in-law gave him a call. She told him that his wife's water just broke, and they were on their way to the hospital now. Yixing replied to her that he's going to be there as soon as possible, when the truth was, he froze on his chair, like, instantly. He had no idea what to do. In normal situations, he would probably just rush to hospital just like exactly what he said to his mother-in-law, but his brain didn't seem to function normally these days, especially since his mother passed.

To be honest, he was still a bit traumatized to be in the hospital. He didn't like everything it had in there, the view of it was just a sore to his eyes since it reminded him a lot to his mother. He couldn't concentrate when Luhan talked to him that Yixing had to ask him to repeat some of the information he had conveyed several times. When he gave the instructions, he stopped in the middle of the sentence and had to repeat it from the beginning because he forgot what to say.

"It's okay, Xing, you can do it." Luhan tapped him on his shoulder as he sent him off to his car. Yixing could only smile bitterly for the fact that he wasn't even sure if he could do this. Of course, he had to do this no matter what, he had to hold his nauseatic pain in his abdomen to stay with Jisoo, because she needed him right now.

And staying with Jisoo when she was holding back her pain was torture for him. He found her bending over the side of the bed while hugging a pillow when he came, because that was the least painful position she could get from all the distractions of changing positions that she did. Since the water had broken, the contraction was getting more and more intense and aching. She had had 4 centimeters dilation already and still going on, Yixing was trying his best to keep calm while he massaged her lower back and assisted her to breathe evenly.

"It hurts," she whimpered as she clung on him, her arms wrapped around his neck while her head leaned on his chest as she wanted to keep standing to reduce her pain. He heard her sniffing then wiped her eyes with her face still facing down, like she was trying to hide it from him.

Yixing kept giving her a massage on her lower back with one hand while his another free hand rubbing her waist, "I know, I know. I wish I could share this pain with you, I'm sorry. It will pass, the pain will be gone when the baby's out," he tried to cheer her up," You're so strong, Baobei, I'm proud of you." he tilted his face to kiss her on her cheek, and had his lips to stay there while he wrapped his arms around her back.

People passing by, her parents stayed with them in the living room of the ward, Minseok gave them a video call, Sehun came to visit, along with some others, but Yixing wasn't too focused on their presence as he had his attention fully on Jisoo. The nurse paid a visit several times to check on the baby's heartbeats and the cervix's dilation, but it opened too slowly to his liking that it took them almost fourteen hours to get her on the third stage and they took her to the delivery room.

It was about 1 am and he had sent her parents home, telling them that he would inform them once the baby was born. He stayed with her in the delivery room, listening carefully to every instruction that the OB had him to do and watching every step closely. He held her hand, he helped her keep her leg bent, he gave her cue when to push longer while he on her sweaty hair. And she's a strong woman, the nurses were praising her for being so skillful because only with two pushes, she got the baby's head out.

"One more, Baobei, one more," he said supportively while squeezing her hand, and Jisoo took a deep breath before her eyes shut, then she made a long push.

Yixing dared himself to take a look at the doctor skilfully turn the baby's head upward and pulled it out with the push that Jisoo initiated.

"Oh God!" she cried out once the baby's out completely, Yixing was dumbstruck with the fast movement. He thought he was watching a magic show when he saw a baby coming out of such a small place, and it's his wife who had made it happen. A pang of happiness cut through him as the doctor put the baby on Jisoo's chest, and along with it was a strange sadness to see that his mother had been right. It was a baby boy.

"Good job, you're doing a good job. Thank you." he gave her some relieved kisses on her forehead and temple, while she sobbed as she was watching her own baby squirming and letting out a loud cry.

"Would daddy make the cut?" His attention was diverted when the doctor offered a pair of scissors to cut the umbilical cord, and he muttered a thank-you once he made the cut in between the two clamps, before he got back to the most beautiful view that he'd ever seen in his life.

It felt like a miracle to watch the little creature who had been kicking around inside Jisoo's stomach now was in front of his eyes, clawing his mother's skin with his little fingers. Yixing couldn't describe how he was feeling right now, it was mixed with thousands of emotions that he felt overwhelmed. But he was happy that it's finally over. Jisoo wouldn't have to suffer anymore, they had their baby's out and it was the best feeling in the world. But at the same time he was also sad, because if his mother had been alive, she would have been very happy to welcome his grandson.

His eyes were glassy as he watched his two most beloved people before him, he wiped his wife's tears and gave her some kisses on her lips to show his gratitude. He was thankful that she had made this far for their child, he was so thankful and respectful that she had been strong for them. No one could beat Jisoo's struggle over what she has been going through since the beginning of her pregnancy until now, Yixing could see now why his father always told him to always respect his mother for the sacrifice she had given them. Seeing his wife fighting for their baby, whatever Yixing would give her in the future, he was sure that nothing could go beyond her hard efforts for this.

The doctor rose to let the nurse close her up for him. And the nurse told Jisoo to give one more light push, Yixing didn't suspect that this was the beginning of his nightmare. Once Jisoo made the push, a big bluish-purple blob of the placenta was out along with a gush of blood. At first, Yixing thought that this was normal, but he knew something was wrong when he saw that blood didn't stop flowing from her lady's part that the doctor rushed back to see what's happening.

"What's going on?" Jisoo then asked when she saw the blood was dripping off from the mattress. "What's that?"

"It's the remaining of the placenta, don't worry." one of the nurses, who Yixing didn't pay too much attention to, answered it just not to panic her.

"Mr. Zhang, we need you to step out, please." another said in a very normal tone, that if he didn't know it best, he would not have thought something was off. And Yixing was about to turn around when Jisoo caught his hand. He knew that she knew there was a problem, and she started getting worried.

"No, don't leave me. Stay with me. What's going on? Why did you send my husband away?"

His brain was spinning rapidly in situations like this, as he witnessed many things happening at the same time. Suddenly it seemed like many people rushed into the room in a second. A nurse helped the doctor to put on scrubs, while another one pulled a cart full of operating equipment. Yixing turned to Jisoo knowing they must be preparing for emergency surgery or such, he could hear someone asked for more A– blood packs, like, stat. One nurse took the baby from her, another one was putting gauzes on Jisoo's birth canal, while another new one administering a new IV line on her free arm. It was chaotic, but he needed to stay calm.

Yixing took a deep breath to keep calm.

"I'll be here. You'll be okay, there's just a little..." he didn't continue, he didn't know what to say. "You'll be okay, I won't leave."

She started crying, and she held his hand while her eyes stayed on his. Yixing didn't realize it at first, but the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter