010 - the heartbreak

Thick And Thin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Something's wrong with Yixing when Jisoo found him sitting at the edge of the bed. He had his head hung low with his cellphone clasped on both of his hands, he looked like he was deep in thought that he wasn't aware of Jisoo's presence in the room.

"Are you okay?" Jisoo asked. He wasn't moving an inch as she hovered in front of him, that she put her hand on his shoulder to get his attention. "You seem a bit out of it, is there a problem?" she asked again once he raised up to look at her.

"Baobei, the result came back positive. I'm a match." he replied to her, "We're going to do the surgery tomorrow morning."

"Well, it's good, isn't it? What are you waiting for? Don't you need to prepare for the surgery?" Jisoo raised her eyebrows. It's supposed to be good news for them, it's what Yixing had been waiting for. So she didn't get why he acted like it's the end of the world instead.

"But, Baobei, it would take days to recover for a donor. If I go, what about you? It's near the due date, I can't leave you now." 

The smile that lingered on Jisoo's face now was gone with the mention of her laboring day. It's true that the D-days was a countdown, Jisoo never thought that she would get through this without him by her side. It even scared her only to think about it alone. But she knew that she couldn't be selfish right now, his mother needed him more. Besides, it seemed like Jisoo wouldn't be too focused on Yixing's presence when the day came. With him or without him, it would be painful either way.

She took a deep breath and tried to smile again, "It's okay, Yixing. People are taking care of me here, my mom will be here the day after tomorrow too. You go, I'll be fine." she said assuringly, though she wasn't assured herself inside.

Yixing sighed, and she pulled her hand in to wrap his arms around her waist. He rested his cheek on the side of her stomach as he rubbed her back gently.

"I can't imagine not being by your side when you give birth, it's too hard to decide," he said with no enthusiasm. His voice sounded so low almost inaudibly, and she almost didn't hear it if it wasn't because the movement of his lips showed her that he was saying something.

"The due date won't be until the next eight or nine days. We still have enough time, let's just hope that the baby doesn't think of coming out early." she wiped away her tears as she choked on her own words in making her own joke, but to hear that Yixing held her tighter as he buried his face to her sweater. "Let's stay positive, alright? Remember you always tell me that."

Yixing didn't say anything at first. There was a silence that controlled them for a few moments, until she heard him sigh again before he rose up to cup her face with both hands.

"You're right, let's stay positive." his smile grew, and Jisoo couldn't help mimicking him while he wiped away her tears with his thumbs. "I love you, you know that? I love you so much."

Jisoo nodded her head, "I know." she said softly with a smile. She put her hands on top of his, holding it firmly with hers while she planted a small kiss on his left.

"No matter what happens, I love you more and more every day. And I'll be back before you know it, so please wait for me." Yixing said it was more to the baby as he caressed her stomach gently.

"Don't say that," Jisoo chuckled, "If the baby wants to see the world soon, then let him be. If I have to wait for you, I might need to suffer for days."

"Ah, you're right," and Yixing started to laugh as he seemed to realize that Jisoo had a point, no matter how much Jisoo wished for him to be around when she was laboring, she wouldn't want to endure the pain much more than she needed. The faster the baby out, the better for her, and she guessed for everyone too.

"I'll be back once the surgery is done so you don't have to wait for me longer." Yixing added a moment later.

"Take your time, Love. I'll be fine." she caressed his cheek lovingly, and with that Yixing leaned in to give her a long yearning kiss which she responded immediately. His lips felt so warm and desiring, but as she wished to kiss him more, they both knew that Yixing didn't have much time.

Jisoo spent the next half hour helping Yixing pack his suitcase, and he gave her another long tight hug before he landed a chaste kiss on her forehead, her nose then her lips, and then he left. And Jisoo couldn't help crying as soon as he left, hoping everything went smoothly. Hoped that he would be okay and come back soon to her arms before she knew it, just how he promised her.

Xiaotong visited a few hours later. Seemed like Yixing told her what had happened that she came and stayed with her, and even said that she was going to stay overnight while Yixing was in Beijing. Jisoo didn't mind because she also felt lonely only with the maid at home, at least with Xiaotong they could still talk. Jisoo deliberately distracted herself by talking about the foundation and the cases they were dealing with now. Sehun and Luhan also visited the house in the evening, they had dinner together in the house and their presence entertained her a little in the midst of her loneliness.

It was when she was about to go to sleep that night, she was listening to Yixing's piano arrangements when he made a video call to speak to her. When Jisoo accepted his call, she didn't expect to see him so wasted. He looked so pale that it made her worried all of sudden,

"Baobei," he greeted her once their call was connected, Yixing pinched the bridge of his nose and smiled as he saw her face. But it's too late, because Jisoo had seen him being unhappy the second before.

"Yixing, what's wrong? Is everything okay?" She asked. Yixing was supposed to get rest for the next day surgery, but now instead of being in bed, he was still walking around at the hospital corridor, seemingly in the direction of his mother's ward.

"No, actually. She's in crisis, it's not good."

Jisoo adjusted her seating position, feeling uncomfortable suddenly as her baby kicked her again as if it could feel her uneasiness for the news.

"Oh, God, what's wrong?"

"The platelets were dropping, it's really low. We're doing the transfusion at this time, if it doesn't rise much by tomorrow morning, then we have to wait until at least it reaches 50,000 to have the surgery." he rubbed his lethargic face devastatingly and sighed softly, "How's my wife? Is the baby being good today?" he then asked to distract.

"Well, he behaves. But now that you're calling, he starts kicking again. Seems like he can recognize your voice." she answered half-jokingly, just to make him laugh. And it worked, because Yixing started to chuckle then.

"That's good to hear. The baby should know who her father is," he then took a deep breath while he reached his mother's door, "Uh, Baobei, my mother wants to speak with you. But before you see her, I want to tell you that she doesn't look so good. Please don't be shocked, okay? Please act like usual when you speak to her."

Jisoo nodded to comply.

She waited in silence as Yixing knocked on the door and got in with the phone was facing himself. She heard him talking to his father, and then he walked up to his mother's bed, letting her know that Jisoo was on the phone with him before he put her mother on the video.

Jisoo had no idea what to say when she saw her. To say that she was shocked was underrating, she was shaken up to see how thin her mother was that her face was very gaunt, far gaunter than the last time they did a video call months ago. She didn't think that his mother would look that bad, the freshness and the energy that had adorned her chubby face had now disappeared, replaced by the sharp jaw of her old sick expression. She put her fingers on to keep her from crying, but she tried to smile.

"Hi, grandma." Jisoo greeted on behalf of the baby as she pushed her cellphone away so that her upper half body was seen on the video, she patted on her stomach as she did so.

Her mother-in-law smiled weakly as she raised her hand to greet her back, she had an oxygen hose in her nose to help her to breathe, she really didn't look well that Jisoo was on the verge of breaking down seeing her like this.

"My beautiful daughter-in-law," she said almost inaudibly, "And my future grandson,"

"It's a girl," Yixing corrected his mother, which made her a little surprised.

"Oh, is it?" she asked him.

"Yixing wishes it's a girl. But I guess you'll need to see it yourself to find out, don't I?" Jisoo answered it for her, and her mother-in-law smiled again, a bit brighter now.

"I'm sorry, Xingxing, but I think it's a boy." she said with certainty.

Yixing raised his eyebrows, "How do you know?"

"I can see it, you'll see." Yixing's mother turned her head back to her, "Do you guys have a name for him already?" she then asked, and Jisoo nodded to reply. She told her the name that Yixing suggested, and her mom looked happy with it.

"Rui is good. It means auspicious, it will suit him. He's really lucky to be born with you both as his parents. May he always be blessed."

Jisoo thanked her, and she was listening while Yixing told her about a girl's name too that Jisoo had made before, and her mother looked happy too with the name even though she was still insisting on believing that the baby she was carrying was a boy. She told her that it's fine to have any of them as long as it's healthy and cute.

"Thank you so much, Jisoo, for surviving this. Thank you for being strong, just one step left until you'll see him. Hold on until then and take care of yourself. Be healthy. Thank you for being a great daughter-in-law, and a great wife for my son. Thank you very much. "

Jisoo couldn't hold back her tears again this time. Of all the encouraging words his mother had said, this was the deepest. Jisoo couldn't hide the sadness that she felt how this was said by someone who made her husband come true.

"Why are you saying that? You speak like you won't be here to see your grandchild. I don't like it." she said a few moments later while wiping away her tears. Across the phone, Yixing also helped his mother wipe her tears with the tissue, telling her some encouragement th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter