Chapter Nine

Smile

One way or another, Mina and Euijin had managed to get back to Euijin's apartment in one piece. As Euijin made his way from the parking lot, a few concerned passerby's had tried to get Euijin to go to the hospital. However, instead of going with their suggestions, he had told them that it was nothing but costume makeup and continued on his way. Now that he was safe in his own apartment, all the pain he had held back finally resurfaced

"Are you sure you can wait until they get back? You look terrible," Mina said.

"I feel like crap, but I can wait. It's gonna be a pain getting blood out of my clothes though," Euijin said.

He laid himself on the couch before he gently tossed the folder onto the coffee table. He pulled out his phone and glanced at it for a moment before he placed it onto the table and sighed.

"We have the evidence safe and sound, but it might be a while before we can release this information to the police. Wait," Euijin said as he sat up and continued, "Why don't we just give this information anonymously? They should still be able to use this, right?"

"I don't know. Couldn't my father just sat that it was stolen and in doing so, the files can't be used anymore?" Mina said.

Euijin sighed yet again as he closed his eyes and said, "I don't know. I'll probably look it up later, but I'll take a nap first."

"Rest well. I'll wake you up when they get back," Mina said.

As Euijin laid back down and attempted to drift off to sleep, Mina made her way out to the balcony. The sun began to set, which colored part of the sky in its many warm hues. She smiled as she watched the sky slowly go about its business.

___________________________

An elevator came to a stop and once a 'ding' chimed in, the elevator doors opened. Daehyun and Seohyun stepped off and made their way forward.

"That's all I can show you today. Anymore and they might come for my job," Seohyun said.

They slowed to a stop at the center of the lobby before Seohyun turned towards Daehyun. She pondered for a moment before she smiled.

"I'll make sure you get hired, just give me a couple of days. Until then, it was great seeing you again," Seohyun said as she pulled Daehyun into a hug.

"Great seeing you too and thanks for the help, Seohyun," Daehyun said.

As they broke off the hug, Daehyun had started for the main entrance. Seohyun would've let him go, but a thought suddenly crossed her mind. Before she thought out what she was going to say or do, she reached out and grabbed Daehyun's shoulder. Daehyun turned and stared at Seohyun's hand for a brief moment before he looked up at her.

"Did you need anything else?" Daehyun asked.

Seohyun hesitated as her hand slid off of Daehyun's shoulder. She moved a little closer to Daehyun, a sad look on her face.

She said in hushed tones, "Are you sure you're okay with working again? I know the accident happened four years ago, but it really affected you back then, so-"

"I'm sure," Daehyun said firmly as he took a step backwards.

Seohyun continued, "If it still bothers you, then-"

"I said it's fine," Daehyun said sternly as he turned his back to Seohyun and continued, "Call me if I get the job."

Without another word, Daehyun made his way out of the building. Seohyun frowned as she crossed her arms and shook her head.

Once outside, Daehyun came to a stop and sighed. He turned and stared at the building for a brief moment. With a slight frown, he turned and went on his way.

___________________________

"Where've you been?" Daehyun asked as they made their way down the hallway.

"I've been looking into a few things. How'd everything go with your friend?" Young Jae asked.

"I'll most likely get the job," Daehyun replied.

"Wow! That was a lot faster than you said," Young Jae said.

Daehyun didn't say anything, but he gave a brief nod. He stopped in front of Euijin's door and was about to turn the doorknob, but he stopped himself. He turned to Young Jae and narrowed his eyelids in suspicion.

"What kind of things were you looking into?" Daehyun asked.

Young Jae blinked a few times, uncertainty clear on his face. When it was clear that he wasn't going to get an answer any time soon, Daehyun shook his head and sighed as he turned back to the door and pushed it open.

"Euijin! Are you back yet?" Daehyun called out.

"Shh! I'm trying to sleep," Euijin responded.

As Daehyun approached the couch, Euijin carefully pushed himself up to a sitting position and let out a groan. Daehyun stared at Euijin as he made his way to the chair furthest away from Euijin.

"You look like . What happened to you?" Daehyun asked.

"The place that we were getting the files in was basically an insane asylum. And guess what? Ghosts were all over the dang place trying to kill me and kidnap poor Mina! Can you imagine the kind of trauma that could've done to Mina?" Euijin asked.

As Euijin continued his rant about the adventure he had somehow survived, Young Jae sat next to Euijin and started treatment on his wounds. A warm yellow light wrapped itself around Euijin and as it did so, any cuts he had closed itself and any bruises he may have received would disappear. Daehyun tuned Euijin out as he watched Young Jae's abilities at work.

"Are all angels capable of healing people?" Daehyun asked.

"Yes. It's the very first thing we're taught," Young Jae replied.

"Hey! Are you even listening to me?" Euijin asked.

"Taught? How so? Tell us more about the mechanics of Heaven and how the hell it works," Daehyun said.

As Young Jae finished healing Euijin, the light slowly dissipated into nothing. He took a moment to think before he turned to Daehyun. Even Euijin had quieted himself due to his own sheer curiosity.

"There are different tiers of angels, as you all well know. I'll spare you the lecture and I'll just say that I'm a shard collector. We're angels who were once human, but... I can't remember what my life was like," Young Jae said.

"Wait, so we forget our past once we ascend to heaven or descend to hell?" Euijin asked.

"No, no. Shard collectors are people who had taken their own lives and are repenting for their sins," Young Jae said.

Daehyun and Euijin remained silent. While Euijin stared at Young Jae, waiting for Young Jae to continue, Daehyun stared at the ground, his hand balled tightly into a fist. He let out a sigh though as his hand relaxed.

"My role is to collect as many shards as I can in hopes of being reborn. If I'm reborn, that means I've successfully repented my sin," Young Jae said.

"How many shards do you have to collect to do that?" Euijin asked.

"I, I don't really know," Young Jae said.

"So, you're supposed to work for god knows how long to repent for a sin that you can't even ing remember? That's just, that's just insane! Shouldn't there be a damn count or something to let you, I don't ing know, keep your sights on the goal instead of making you go insane, thinking that it'll never come true?" Daehyun asked.

"I don't know. I don't make the rules, I can only follow them. Either that or end up somewhere worse," Young Jae responded.

"Oh! You're all back. Where did you end up going?" Mina asked as she stepped back inside from the balcony.

Daehyun remained quiet, his gaze off to the side with his arms crossed. Young Jae smiled as he turned towards Mina.

"We scouted out your father's corporation and it turns out that it's being plagued by a demon's influence. If I can remove the demon causing it, then everyone should go back to normal," Young Jae said as Mina took a seat near Daehyun.

"So my dad will go back to normal also?" Mina asked.

"Yes! But he's going to have to face the consequences of his actions, even if they were influenced by a demon," Young Jae said with a frown.

"I-," Mina started, but she wasn't sure what to say as thoughts conflicted with one another.

"Hey now! Let's not think about it too much. We accomplished a few things today, right? Let's just celebrate our victories now and figure out how to face whatever gets thrown our way as the time comes!" Euijin said as he jumped to his feet and continued, "Come on. Let's get some rest and then in the morning, we can continue figuring out what needs to be done."

Everyone else remained silent, but they all got up in the end. As Euijin convinced Mina to go to the kitchen with him, Daehyun stepped out onto the balcony. He sighed as he leaned against the railing and stared out at the the setting sun.

"Daehyun? Are you okay?" Young Jae asked.

Daehyun remained quiet for a moment as he forced his thoughts to sort themselves out. Once he was ready, he spoke.

"Tell me, why did you really save me? Is it because you're an angel and you feel the need to save everyone from danger or is it because you didn't want me to end up like you?" Daehyun asked.

Young Jae remained silent as he stood by the doorway. Daehyun shook his head and sighed as he turned to Young Jae.

"Look, I'm a , I already know that. It may not seem like it at all, but I'm," Daehyun scratched the back of his head and looked away as he said, "I'm grateful, okay? If I had died, I could've ended up like you or worse, like you said, with that damn demon lurking about. But still, there's something that's been bothering me and I need to know the answer to it."

Daehyun looked up at Young Jae, who had been smiling, but the smile faded upon the seriousness of Daehyun's face.

"I want to know if guardian angels exist," Daehyun said.

"Yes. They exist," Young Jae said.

Daehyun looked away for a moment as he asked, "Then why don't I have one?"