Chapter Eight

Smile

As they continued forward, thoughts revolved through Euijin's head. He glanced at the back of Mina's head every now and then before he nodded to himself.

"That spirit has to be the one causing the blockages," Euijin said.

"What makes you say that?" Mina asked.

"The blockages didn't show up until after he did, so it's a fair assumption," Euijin said.

As they passed a set of stairs, spirits suddenly appeared from around the corner and blocked their way forward. Euijin and Mina halted to a stop and made their way back to the staircase, but Mina remained hesitant.

"Mina, we have to go!" Euijin exclaimed as he narrowly dodged a flying piece of debris.

"I can't! It's there again," Mina said.

Euijin made direct eye contact with Mina as he said, "Ghosts have the ability to possess living creatures. Just jump into my body and we'll see if you can pass safely."

"I don't want to disappear," Mina said.

"It's our only chance," Euijin said as he held out his hand.

Mina closed her eyes as she took hold of Euijin's hand. Immediately, she appeared to have been into Euijin's body through his hand as she disappeared from where she had been standing. Debris from nearby raised into the air before it flew at Euijin. Without hesitation, Euijin quickly made his way down the steps. As he attempted to run in one direction, his body suddenly jerked and moved in the opposite direction.

"You okay, Mina?" Euijin asked.

"I'm fine. Let's just get out of here," Mina said.

"Alright! Just lead the way," Euijin replied.

Down the hallway they bolted as the spirits made their way into the area from the staircase. Euijin glanced over his shoulder just in time to jump over a chair thrown his way.

"Mina! I need help," Euijin said.

"I'll watch your back, just keep running!" Mina exclaimed.

Euijin nodded as he ran as fast as his body would let him. He gasped as his body suddenly jerked to the left just before glass shattered against the ground where he was about to go.

"What the hell's their deal?" Euijin asked.

"They must not like my grandfather," Mina said as she jerked Euijin's body to the right, just in time to avoid a chunk of the falling ceiling.

"Not like is an understatement!" Euijin exclaimed.

As they approached the corner, Euijin attempted to turn around the corner, but Mina quickly forced him to fall flat on the ground. In that instant, needles of all shapes and sizes punctured the wall in front of him as soon as he looked up. As Euijin let out a groan, Mina gasped as she forced Euijin onto his feet and around the corner.

"I'm not enjoying this at all," Euijin said.

"You can complain when we get out of here!" Mina said.

Down the last flight of stairs, the front door was in sight. Mina removed herself from Euijin and flew forward. She forced the double doors wide open, but she struggled to keep it that way.

"Jump, Euijin!" Mina cried.

The second she said that, Euijin jumped forward. Mina gasped as the doors attempted to swing shut on Euijin. The doors caught on Euijin's shoe, but instead of catching Euijin, Euijin's shoe slipped off. In turn, Euijin crashed onto the ground before he rolled forward and came to a stop. He let out a groan as he took a moment to adjust to all of the newly acquired pain.

"We're," Euijin paused to catch his breath, "never coming back here."

"We gotta go! Get up," Mina said.

Mina attempted to possess Euijin once more, but to no avail. Euijin took his time to push himself up to a sitting position as he turned and stared at the front doors. Stood at the doorways with eyes on the duo, the horde of ghosts all stood. Mina stopped her attempts at possessing Euijin once she realized what the ghosts were doing.

"Wha-, why aren't they chasing us anymore?" Mina asked.

"Their spirits are trapped in that building, just as they were when they were alive. Even if those doors were open, those spirits are bound to the building itself," Euijin said.

He slowly got up to his feet as yet another groan escaped from his being. He gazed upon his foot and frowned as he wiggled his toes from within his sock.

"Aw. This was my favorite pair of shoes," Euijin said.

"Let's just go," Mina said.

With a nod, Euijin double checked that the files were safe and sound before he turned and made his way back to the car. With the adrenaline dying down, the aches and pains became more prominent.

"I think I should go to the hospital," Euijin said.

"Why not see if Young Jae can do something first?" Mina asked.

"Alright. Just, let me rest in the car first," Euijin said.

___________________________

"This is the lab that I work in. If the lead scientist hires you, you'll most likely end up working with me," Seohyun said.

"What research are you currently conducting here? If you don't mind me asking," Daehyun said.

"At the moment, the CEO is having us conduct research on the ability to regenerate. When you think about regeneration, what animal comes to mind?" Seohyun asked.

"If you want a specific one, then the salamander would be my choice. Are you using them as the basis of your research?" Daehyun asked.

Seohyun nodded as she input the security code to the lab door. Daehyun took a mental note of the numbers Seohyun had input as the doors slid open. Once inside, he quickly noticed a pair of scientists behind a glass wall. While one stood at a microscope, the other stood in front of a computer.

"Are you leading this project?" Daehyun asked.

"Yes, I am. Can you imagine the possibilities we can provide for humans and animals alike if we can somehow figure out how to help all creatures regenerate their missing limbs? It would help so many people live better lives," Seohyun said.

"Well, do you plan on altering a person's DNA in order to do so or are you simply going to inject them and voila! A brand new limb for them," Daehyun said.

"I haven't thought that far yet. We still have to figure out if it's even remotely possible for other creatures to obtain this ability," Seohyun said as she sighed before she continued, "Look. This was research they assigned us. I don't get to decide what we do."

"That makes more sense," Daehyun said.

"So, now you know what we're doing. Do you still wanna work here?" Seohyun said.

Daehyun shrugged as he said, "Sure, why the not? I have nothing else to do."

As Seohyun further explained how far in the research they were in, Daehyun looked around the room. While he took in the details of the room, he noticed that something was missing.

No, not something. Someone was missing.

Where did Young Jae go?

___________________________

At the top of the M. Medical Corporation Headquarters' main building, two figures stood face to face on opposite ends of each other. One of them, Young Jae, stood tense with his wings spread out. The other, however, stood there, relaxed and paired with a smirk.

"So, you really were the one behind it, Jaebum," Young Jae said.

Jaebum shrugged as he said, "Me? I don't know what you're talking about. I'm innocent."

"Innocent? Your aura's all over the place," Young Jae said.

"Hey now. I thought angels weren't the type to be judgmental. You know, God's job and all that?" Jaebum said.

Young Jae's wings shone a bright white light. Jaebum held his smirk, but he quickly raised his hands up in a defensive manner.

"Woah there. I thought angels were supposed to be patient and nonviolent beings," Jaebum said.

"If I get rid of you, the people here will be freed from your influence," Young Jae said.

"Hold up. Wha-" Jaebum was cut off as a light shot from Young Jae's wings and towards Jaebum.

Jaebum dashed to the right, successfully out of the rays' path. He dusted off his clothes, not that he needed to, and cleared his throat as he turned to Young Jae again.

"Look, let's work together on this one," Jaebum said.

"Why would I work with you?" Young Jae asked.

Jaebum shrugged and said, "Sounds like fun. Besides, I'm not the one behind this company's misery. Didn't I tell you? I'm only after Daehyun's soul. Well, that other medium's soul looks delicious too, but you know, I shouldn't be too greedy now."

"What would you gain from working together?" Young Jae said.

Jaebum grinned as he said, "Doncha know? It's practically every demon for themselves. If I take out this demon, I can take over and extract the corruption for myself."

Young Jae's wings glowed once more and immediately, Jaebum raised his hands yet again as he said, "Extract as in take away the corruption currently going around. Not only would the humans go back to how they were, but I get to increase my own power in the process. Come on, what do you say? I'm not even a strong demon to begin with. Cut me some slack."

Young Jae's wings lowered, but he didn't put them away just yet. He pondered on Jaebum's words, but he couldn't decide if it was a good idea or not. On one hand, he could probably keep a better eye on Jaebum if they ended up working together. Plus, the corruption would be taken away, which was his initial goal. On the other hand, that meant that Jaebum would end up stronger. Not only that, but he could potentially be even closer to taking Daehyun's soul. He couldn't ensure Jaebum didn't get the corruption either because once he agreed, he couldn't go back on his word.

While he was lost in thought, Jaebum teleported behind Young Jae and wrapped his arms around him. Young Jae's wings spread out and began to glow, but Jaebum didn't back down. He raised his hand and took hold of Young Jae's chin before he turned Young Jae's head slightly towards him.

"Come on. Don't be so stiff. Think of the fun we could have together," Jaebum said.

He pat Young Jae's cheek before he teleported in front of Young Jae. Young Jae's wings lowered yet again before he sighed.

"Well? How can you say no to such a handsome face?" Jaebum said as he flashed a smile.

"I still don't understand why you want to work with me, but okay. If it'll help purify the humans faster, then I'll work with you," Young Jae said.

"Great! I'll be in touch." Jaebum said.

"What do you mean?" Young Jae asked as his wings retreated.

With a snap of Jaebum's fingers, instantly, Young Jae found himself suddenly bound by ethereal chains that gave off a red and black aura. Young Jae attempted to free himself from his binds, but it was to no avail. Another snap of Jaebum's fingers and a single red string appeared in his hand. He took a step towards Young Jae as he held out the string.

"What's the meaning of this!" Young Jae demanded.

"Ever hear of the red string of fate? That little bit of romance that humans tell one another when they're lonely and want to feel like they're definitely going to find the one?" Jaebum asked.

Young Jae hesitated, but said, "The same thing that binds two souls together and draws them to one another because fate requests it. What about it?"

"Well, demons use the same thing, just not as romantic. We just tie our pinkies together with this little string here and we'll be able to communicate with no problem," Jaebum said.

"Is that all it does?" Young Jae asked.

Jaebum looked off to the side and shrugged as he said, "More or less. Come on, just do it."

He moved around to Young Jae's side and took hold of his hand before he tied one end of the string to Young Jae's pinky. With the other end, he quickly tied it to his own pinky and immediately, the string vanished. Young Jae's eyebrows furrowed as the chains dissipated and he immediately raised his hand to examine it.

"Is that it?" Young Jae asked.

"Yep! It's all done. Our souls are now bound to each other," Jaebum said as he turned and started to walk away.

"Wait. What do you mean bound?" Young Jae asked.

"Whatever happens to me, will happen to you and vice versa. You know, like the red string of fate? If I die, you die. Anyway, I've got things to do. See you later," Jaebum said as he waved his hand and sunk into a pool of darkness.

"What happens to me will happen to you," Young Jae quietly said to himself as he examined his hand once more.

He sighed and stared out at the sky as he said, "What just happened?"