Love & Recall

[PROTECTOR]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

"Is this all the love that you have for HyunJin? Maybe it was good she forgot you-" Jungeun stopped herself, startled by the words that spiked the tension between her and HeeJin. The brunette didn't mean to say anything so harsh, but she was caught up in the moment, adrenaline coursing through her body, making it impossible to dam the words spilling out of .

 

HeeJin's vision blurred with hot tears of frustration and anger. Her face twisted into a mask of rage. How DARE she say that. She sprung from the bed that she was previously curled up in and got right up to the Jungeun's face.

 

Startled by the sudden motion and aggressiveness, Jungeun tried to backtrack, immediately attempting to apologize only to be violently shoved by HeeJin. The brunette wasn't expecting any physical contact and crashed to the floor. Everyone in the room remained frozen in bewilderment.

 

HaSeul busted through the room's door in response to the loud crash. The bodyguard expected there to be some disagreement and maybe some yelling, but not violence. 

 

Snapping out of her shock, Jiwoo has never seen her best friend this furious before. It was her first time seeing her with any kind of anger. The usual kept together, and stable girl was long gone, ready to throw some fists. Her nostrils flared out, making it seem like she could blow steam from her hot anger. Her face furrowed so tightly that it contorted her serene beauty into pure fury. The redhead immediately wrapped herself around HeeJin's waist to prevent her from committing any more violent acts to the girl on the ground.

 

"You think this is just about HyunJin?!" Something snapped in Heejin, the bottle of self kept emotions had built up too much pressure inside of the small girl and relentlessly blew up at Jungeun.

 

The declaration from the furious brunette caused shock throughout the room. What else could cause HeeJin to break apart at the seams?

 

HeeJin towered over Jungeun, still lying on the floor, almost cowering in fear as Heejin was becoming unpredictable. She was thankful that Jiwoo gripped even tighter around her best friend's waist to help prevent anything. "It's not just HyunJin! Do you know what it's like to feel that you are a threat and danger to anyone and everyone around you?!"

 

The shorter girl cried out in despair, finally unveiling the shadow that has been haunting her since she was a child, but until recently, the fear that has been lurking in the back of her mind eventually consumed Heejin. "People died out there! And it's my fault that they are dead, Jungeun! My fault people got hurt! My fault that other families are suffering over lost loved ones!" 

 

HeeJin collapsed to her knees in front of the brunette with downcast eyes, and her forlorn voice tapered into a quivering whimper. "It's my fault HyunJin is like this now...my fault my parents are dead... It's all my fault." Tears were already streaming before her outburst, but somehow her tear ducts were overflowing more than ever.

 

"Ever since I was young and even as I grew older, I had always wondered why Jaden was so persistent for me to have so many security personnel and bodyguards. Did he know that this was going to happen someday?"

 

The tired girl knew her friends were right, that she was pathetic and HyunJin needed her. But she couldn't help feeling responsible that every terrible consequence and event was because of her existence. It was because of her that HyunJin was hurt. It was because she suddenly became a target for an assassin to come after her that led to her girlfriend's current state. She feared for the safety of others over her own, no one else needed to get hurt because of her. 

 

HeeJin glanced at HaSeul and traced her gaze back at Jungeun. "And how am I supposed to face you again if something were to happen to HaSeul?"

 

With HaSeul hired as HeeJin's new bodyguard, it only complicated things more for her. If she decided to go out in public again and only for history to repeat itself...Heejin shuddered at the scenes that flashed through her head. The terrified screams and wailing cries that pierced through the blaring emergency sirens. Splatters and pools of dark maroon blood that were no longer contained from the original bodies they came from. The air that smelt of burning flesh from the remains of lifeless corpses. The helplessness that HeeJin felt as the love of her life, HyunJin, was dying. She couldn't go through it again, and she sure as hell didn't want to drag anyone else into that same nightmare.

 

It all came to HeeJin too real and too soon. She has done anything to keep herself awake to avoid reliving the nightmare over and over again in her sleep.

 

"I decided to stay locked up in my room because this is the safest place I know. This is the only way I know how to keep everyone protected." HeeJin was broken, or maybe she has always been broken since her parents' death. She sat in defeat and hopelessness. Her voice came out as nothing but a shaky whisper. "Or maybe it would have been better if I was already dead. I should have died with my parents, and none of this would have happened."

 

"Oh, no, no." SooYoung came crying and cradled HeeJin, pushing the broken girl's head into the crook of her neck. She would never have thought that her friend wished for herself to be dead. "Don't you EVER think like that again, HeeJin."

 

Jiwoo followed in the sobbing party, still wrapped around HeeJin's waist, but holding her for different reasons now. Her embrace turned from a tight restriction and preventing notion into a comforting warmth.

 

SooYoung gently caressed HeeJin's head, running her hand through the sobbing girl's hair. "You deserve every bit to live HeeJin. I know your parents are watching you from above and have always been with you in spirit. In your heart. So you need to live for them, okay? I know they would want you to keep living out your life, experience everything that you can, find happiness, and find love, and you did just that, HeeJin. You have found friends that you can rely on and will be there for you when times get tough, and you have HyunJin. A girl that loves you and is willing to do anything for you, and based on what Jungeun said, HyunJin is fighting her own battle right now. She needs you."

 

The small girl nodded into the neck of her best friend, her tears sloppily covering her cheeks and soaking into SooYoung's shirt. 

 

Jungeun crawled over, a bit cautious, in fear her approach would be rejected. She slowly placed her hands over HeeJin's small hands, giving them a gentle squeeze. 

 

"I'm so scared," HeeJin confessed. Her crying has lessened considerably into a light tremor, no longer spilling out tears, but shaking more than anything. 

 

The taller girl maintained her tight hold around HeeJin, "I know, sweetie, anyone would be, knowing an assassin is after them."

 

"It's not that. I don't want to be a danger to anyone close to me anymore." SooYoung and Jiwoo couldn't help but flash a small smile. It is just like HeeJin to be selfless and care more for others' safety over her own. 

 

"It's okay, HeeJin we can figure something out." The redhead reassuringly said, then a light bulb popped on in her head. "I know what we can do! HyunJin's physical injuries are mostly healed, so how about we transfer her care to Blockberry. That way, you can visit her whenever you want without having to worry about endangering people for now. I'm sure Kahei will figure things out to deal with the assassins, we just need to hold out for a bit."

 

It was like a burden has finally been lifted off from her shoulders. HeeJin couldn't be any more grateful that her friends were so persistent about making sure she was okay. She should have relied on them earlier, things were different from before, and she isn't alone anymore.

 

Jungeun observed the group of friends, specifically HeeJin's regretful and apologetic stare back at her.

 

"I'm sorry Jungeun, I didn't mean to explode on you. I know you were trying to knock some sense into me, and I know you didn't mean those words, well at least I hope you didn't." HeeJin was insecure about what Jungeun thought of her now. She revealed such a disgraceful and ugly side to the brunette that maybe Jungeun meant those words now. 

 

Jungeun smiled softly at HeeJin, still holding her hand with care. "I didn't want to say such a thing to you, and I never meant to say anything so harsh. I want to apologize as well."

 

"It doesn't matter, it worked, and I want to thank you for that. I know we haven't been friends for very long, but I really appreciate what you have done for me." HeeJin smiled at Jungeun, then shifted her attention to her two tearful friends. "And of course I wouldn't forget about you two, who have been there me since the beginning. I don't know what I would do without you guys." 

 

HaSeul smiled at the four girls embracing one another on the floor. She was more than happy that everything was resolved. 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

HeeJin researched more about short term memory loss, discovering that in a few cases, patients were able to recover their memories gradually. Perhaps triggering memories by taking them to important places or replaying important events would help. This is all HeeJin could hope for, and if things turned for worse, then she was determined to have HyunJin fall for her all over again.

 

The hospitalized bodyguard was lost in thought again, blankly staring out at the lone window in her room. This was normal for HyunJin. Her mind was stuck in a constant loop, recycling over and over the first day she was in the hospital. Since that day, she has yet to see the girl named HeeJin again. HyunJin was puzzled and curious, why a girl she only knew for a few months made her feel this way. Wasn't HeeJin just a client she was protecting?

 

Thoughts of how desperate HeeJin's eyes laid upon HyunJin that day made her heartache. Recalling the soft and insecure voice that called out her name almost brought tears to her eyes. For whatever reason, HyunJin wished she could go back in time and break the hold that prevented her strong urges that day. The yearning she felt for HeeJin, to hold her, to comfort her, to tell her everything was alright. She wanted so badly to indulge in her desires. 

 

The sudden

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter