Love & Evil

[PROTECTOR]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was a beautiful late afternoon. The seasons were changing, and the weather was perfect for jackets and overcoats. The calm wind swept up the color-changing leaves from the neglected balcony that HeeJin rarely used. Despite the loft being located on the top floor of Blockberry, HeeJin’s room overlooked a rooftop that was more like a small park. HyunJin always wondered why HeeJin never opened up the balcony doors, the view was gorgeous and anyone would be lucky to have this right outside of their room.

 

“Heekki, I’m going to open up the balcony doors, the weather is amazing outside!” HyunJin exclaimed.

 

The other girl was hunched over her desk, absorbed in her studies for her upcoming exams, she only hummed in response.

 

HyunJin grasped both door handles and swung the doors open and basked in the warm sunlight as she took a deep breath of the fresh autumn air. The lawn was crisply cut and remained saturated with a deep emerald, trees were slowly shedding their auburn and gold autumn leaves, and only a few birds were softly chirping outside as most of them have already flown south.

 

The bodyguard briefly left the room to make some hot cocoa; the cold air made it perfect for the warm and sweet beverage. Waiting for the milk to heat up, she watched the news from the TV that Jaden left on. There was breaking news that a convict escaped from a prison a few cities away-

 

The microwave chimed, and HyunJin rushed to get their beverages. She mixed in the chocolate powder and threw in some marshmallows and rushed to return to HeeJin.

 

HyunJin peeked into HeeJin’s room and discovered a pigeon perched on the balcony railing. The bodyguard could only think how delightful the little creature was, dropping by to visit HeeJin as if she was a fairytale princess. It reminded HyunJin of a scene from one of her favorite Disney movies, Snow White. Animals came from the forest to greet the princess and helped her with her chores. Her favorite part was when birds would whistle with the princess as if they were singing along with her voice. HyunJin smiled at her imagination of HeeJin humming with the birds, hoping that a similar scene would happen.

 

The girl turned, expecting to see HeeJin at her desk but didn’t find her there. Her smile fell as soon she saw the smaller girl curled up in the corner of her room. Her face displayed anything but joy; she only stared back at the winged creature, staring as if the small bird was the most horrible thing she has ever seen. HeeJin was petrified in place. She trembled in fear; her lips quivered from the sight of the harmless critter.

 

HyunJin set the mugs of cocoa down on top of the desk and cautiously called out to her friend. “Heekki…”

 

There was no response, no acknowledgment from the scared girl; all of her attention solely focused on the cursed winged beast.

 

“Heekki, are you okay?” HyunJin called out a bit louder, but there was still no response. She inched closer to the curled up girl, observing her carefully.

 

As soon as the bird opened its wings, HeeJin flinched, her eyes clenched shut, her arms covered her head that was burrowed into her knees as she let out a scream. 

 

It only took a split second for HyunJin to lunge over to HeeJin, embracing her as if she was trying to shield her from whatever evil was directed at her. 

 

HeeJin felt the arms wrap around her, she pressed her face against HyunJin’s chest and grasped the front of her shirt, balling up fistfuls of the soft fabric. Her loud whimpers turned into sharp sobs. HyunJin could feel the girl shaking, the tears seeping through her shirt and onto her skin. 

 

“Heekki, I’m here. I’m here.” She placed her hand over HeeJin’s head to push it closer to her chest, her head gently. “It’s okay. I won’t let anything hurt you. I’m here to protect you.” She whispered into the crying girl’s ear. 

 

HyunJin hated seeing HeeJin cry. The feeling made her insides twist; her heart painfully ached as each sob hit her. She never wanted to see the girl she loves in sorrow. She wished she knew HeeJin had a fear of birds, well it seemed more than fear, more than a phobia, it was more like av trauma that cursed her. She has never witnessed such terror in someone’s eyes before. The only explanation she could theorize was it had to do something about her past, the past that the girl she loved was scared to share, but HyunJin will wait until she is ready.

 

HeeJin continued to cry into HyunJin’s chest, the taller girl still her hair, whispering reassuring words by her ear. The tear-stained girl turned her face so that her ear was against HyunJin’s chest. Her constant heartbeat soothed HeeJin, and each thump matched her own. The sound of her soft breathing echoed inside of her, trying to match the slow and steady breaths. HyunJin started humming a ballad, and HeeJin felt the gentle vibrations against her cheek.

 

Even though HeeJin was done crying, she still cuddled into HyunJin’s warm embrace. It was like they were in their own world, just the two of them. She let go of her bodyguard's shirt to reveal hard wrinkles in the fabric and wrapped her arms around HyunJin. The humming girl’s cheek rested on top of HeeJin’s head, slightly swaying the two of them. 

 

HeeJin whispered, her voice broke a little. “Thank you, BreadJin.”

 

HyunJin nodded in response, holding the girl tighter in her arms. “I’ll always be by your side.”

 

HeeJin smiled. “You better not leave.” 

 

“How can I when you are such a clingy cry baby,” HyunJin softly teased.

 

The small girl weakly hit HyunJin’s chest and giggled. “Don’t be a meanie.” She lifted her head from HyunJin’s chest, revealing streaks of leftover tears. The taller girl gently wiped them away, and HeeJin loved how gentle HyunJin’s touch was, which made her heart skip a beat. 



 

~ ~ ~



 

It grew late in the night. Even HyunJin didn’t realize it herself as she woke up from her short nap. She was slightly amazed at herself as she fell asleep standing up, leaning in the corner of the room. It was 2 AM, and even HeeJin fell asleep at her desk, her small body folded over peacefully sleeping over her arms. Her cluttered desk was cove

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter