Love & Live

[PROTECTOR]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

Five Years Later

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

HyunJin solemnly took her first steps in the dreary and grim field of upright granite and marble. Her grip tightened around the stems of flowers she brought as each step caused anxiety to sink in her heart as she approached her destination making her way through countless columns and rows of stone.

 

HyunJin felt ashamed that she hadn't visited her gravestone in years. She couldn't even remember the last she had, but finally had the courage to do so.

 

She took her last step and silently stared at the tomb before her. It was a long few minutes of silence. The autumn breeze sent chills through the woman's skin. The air somehow felt colder in the area where the dead rested. She remained standing, staring at the engraved name as if they were reuniting once again. 

 

She knelt down, placing the flowers beside her leg. "Hey," She quietly breathed out.

 

"I miss you a lot." HyunJin paused as if waiting to hear a response from her dead loved one. 

 

"I know it's been a while, years too long, and I know that's my fault, but I have been meaning to catch up with you." HyunJin brushed off the fallen dead leaves that cluttered the grave. As if the leaves themselves fell to this place of resting, the trees seemingly knew this field was for the former living. The shedding of lifeless leaves reflected the lack of life, the once green petals shriveled and cracked as they faded to dull browns to return to the earth.

 

HyunJin took a few deep breaths and continued her one-sided conversation. "I met someone. I love her very much, she means so much to me, and she makes me really happy." A tear slipped past the dam she built up. "I know you would like her. She's really sweet and kind." She let out an airy laugh. "She's also a huge dork, and she's such a loser."

 

She let the silence settle in the air around her, allowing herself to take a few deep breaths. "I can't imagine my life without her."

 

"You're probably asking why she isn't here today. She couldn't make it today; she's out of town for work. And besides, it's been so long since I last visited. I wanted it to be just the two of us talking." Hyunjin fidgeted a bit, "I will properly introduce you to her next time."

 

Another pause stifled the air as she gathered herself. "I can already hear you lecturing on how I'm being overprotective for her."

 

"I know you were against me being a bodyguard, so I'm sure you will be relieved to hear that I found a different profession." The former bodyguard laughs to herself. "Maybe I should have started out as a baker, to begin with. You are already familiar with my obsession with bread." She took a moment to breathe in, the dam she struggled to keep up began to fail as her tears started to stream down her cheeks.

 

"Uhm. I think that's enough for today. I promise I will visit sooner next time." HyunJin carefully placed a bouquet of flowers in front of the tombstone. "I love you."

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

"YeoJin, you better behave. You will be staying with Auntie Aeongie tonight." The mom lectured her daughter from the driver seat.

 

The young girl swung her arms out across her chest, attempting to cross her fingers. "Dat's Lil' Yeo to you."

 

Jungeun scoffed in amusement. "I thought you hated being called Lil', sweetie." 

 

The toddler was left in a stupor for a moment. "Dey call me Y-Yeo-Yeo on the streets." She corrected herself.

 

"Seulie, your daughter is pretending to be a G again."

 

HaSeul gasped in mock offense, bringing her hand to her chest. "My daughter? She's your daughter, too, you know."

 

The brunette teased, "Yeah, but only your side can be that lame."

 

"We all know that I'm the cool, Mommy." The shorter mom turned to face her daughter. "Right, Yeo-Yeo." 

 

"Mommy is cool! Mama is lame, and she makes me eat broccoli" The soon-to-be four-year-old gags with her tongue sticking out.

 

Jungeun grumbled out a sigh. "Well, someone needs to be the strict Mama around here."

 

"And you know we love you for it." HaSeul places a ginger kiss on Jungeun's cheek. 

 

"Ewwww." YeoJin covered her eyes from the backseat, witnessing her parents being soft. "Mommy, you're going to catch Mama's lame!"

 

The family of three found their way to a familiar bakery, Aeong Breadery, and parked in a spot near the entrance. "Aeong! Aeong! Aeong!" YeoJin repeatedly yelled out as she raced inside after HaSeul released the restraints of her car seat.

 

The younger mother let out a sigh. "I really hope she doesn't say aeong all day when we pick her up tomorrow."

 

"Oh, hush, you know it's cute." HaSeul slipped her arms with Jungeun's, linking them together, she curled into her shoulder as they walked inside.

 

HyunJin resigned from bodyguarding after the incident five years ago. She didn't want to go through anything like that again and decided to pursue a career she would enjoy. Of course, the bread obsessed woman chose to be a baker and started her own bakery. Her taste for bread was impeccable, and it didn't take long for her to master the craft and art of baking. There was more than enough bloodshed on her hands. 

 

HaSeul also followed suit, finally realizing a stable relationship with Jungeun was more important than anything to her. She didn't want any more complications between them that could threaten their love. After she recovered from her injuries, she retired as a bodyguard and co-owned the bakery with HyunJin. The two former bodyguards stuck together and made a great team. HaSeul handled the financial and business aspect while HyunJin baked all the goods and managed the menu. Shortly after starting her new life, HaSeul proposed to Jungeun, and now they are happily married.

 

 

Jungeun couldn't sleep, worried over her girlfriend once she read the text that was last sent to her. The simple text that was supposed to display HaSeul's love seemed ominous, more like a goodbye. As if their parting was too painful to admit, the older woman was afraid to bid farewell for good.  

 

The brunette called over and over, only to be brought straight to HaSeul's voice mail. Jungeun rushed to the hospital, after receiving a call from Kahei late at night, that HaSeul was severely injured. The worst thoughts arose from her. Her fears were becoming a reality. She would lose HaSeul. This was why she didn't approve of HaSeul's profession, why Jungeun cried, and begged HaSeul to quit her life-risking job.

 

She burst through the doors, and tears instantly welled up in her eyes at the sight of HaSeul. Her girlfriend was wrapped in bloodied bandages over her chest, arm, and leg. She wanted to be furious, wanted to be mad at the bodyguard that almost died. But she couldn't; she only cried tears of relief that HaSeul was still alive. Jungeun ran into HaSeul's arms, hugging her tightly, shedding tears into her chest. 

 

HaSeul ignored the pain and aches from being held too tight. It didn't matter, the warmth of Jungeun's embrace was worth it, and she felt ever so grateful to be back in her girlfriend's arms. The bodyguard shed tears, she wasn't ready to die back then, and she thanked her lucky stars that she survived to return home.

 

 

A tiny bell jingled as the married couple entered, waking HaSeul from her thoughts. YeoJin was already bouncing up and down, unable to contain her excitement. watered at the display of sweets and baked goods. The older mom smiled at her little girl and the warmth of her co-owned bakery. Sure it is relatively small, lined with a few tables and chairs, only enough to seat a few handfuls of people, but it brought upon a homey and cozy feel. The place was lit with soft, warm lights, paired with natural lighting that fell from their large window. The decor used was a bit rustic, the furniture a bit vintage looking yet still inviting with plants and greens scattered throughout the interior. The elderly enjoyed tea and warm bread, while students studied for hours sipping their coffee and nibbled on sweet pastries. HaSeul was more than satisfied with her new life, especially with the family she started with Jungeun. 

 

HyunJin walked from the kitchen to the counter and vibrantly smiled and welcomed the lovely family, making sure to wash the flour off her hands before she went to hug them. "Hey, Jungeun and HaSeul!" She turned to face YeoJin and ruffled her hair. "And aeong to you."

 

"Aeong!" The toddler responded, her eyes not straying from the delicious goods. 

 

Jungeun and HaSeul both went for a hug, embracing their younger friend. "Sorry for the last-minute favor." Jungeun started, "Thank you so much for watching our Yeojin." HaSeul finished their sentence.

 

HyunJin released a chuckle. "Anytime! The little devil adds some excitement to my life."

 

HaSeul smacks her arm playfully. "Don't say that about our daughter. If anything, she's just a baby monster."

 

"Is that any better?" Jungeun reprimanded.

 

HaSeul stuck her tongue out to her wife. The three adults laughed as YeoJin looked at them curiously, finally breaking her gaze from the food.

 

"Ok, stop being losers and just go already. You already know that YeoJin will abandon you both and want to stick with me instead." the baker teased.

 

Jungeun rolled her eyes as HaSeul drew fake tears beneath her eyes with an adorable pout. The couple said their goodbyes, leaving gentle kisses on YeoJin's cheeks and left. The young girl was no stranger to the breadery. HaSeul would often bring her and let her help around or even make some overly sweet creations, which Jungeun never approved of because the already hyper YeoJin would be more of a disaster back home.

 

There were only a few more hours until closing, and the day has been a bit slow. HyunJin let YeoJin play with some scrap dough, giving her something to create whatever she wanted with the perfectly kneaded dough. The child attempted to make little frogs out of the scraps, at least they were supposed to be, but after being baked, they looked more like giant blobs of fluffy carbs.

 

"Auntie Aeongie, where's Auntie Kiki?" The toddler pouted wondering why the other woman hasn't visited them yet.

 

"What, I'm not enough for you?" HyunJin playfully grinned. 

 

YeoJin stuck her tongue out, just like HaSeul did earlier. "You a big meanie head." The little girl bantered with the woman.

 

A gasp escaped from HyunJin's mouth, faking offense, "After all the bread I feed you, I'm mean?!"

 

They playfully toss flour at each other, making a mess of the kitchen. After their mini food fight, the baker starts to regret her actions after realizing that someone will have to clean up the powdered covered counters and floors. That someone being her.

 

After cleaning up their mess, HyunJin closes up shop and leads YeoJin to her car so they could head back home. The two were both exhausted, HyunJin was happy she didn't have to deal with the hyperactive girl at home. Though, YeoJin put up a bit of a fight to stay awake. The girl was stubborn to see her other Auntie before she went to bed, but eventually, she succumbed to her sleepiness. HyunJin made sure YeoJin had her bath and prepared her for bed.

 

"I want to see Auntie Kiki," The small girl sleepily whined as she was being tucked in.

 

HyunJin sat by her bedside and brushed back YeoJin's fraying baby hairs behind her ear. "I promise she will be home by the time you wake up. You can see her first thing in the morning."

 

Little YeoJin softly nodded and drifted to sleep. The baker laid a soft kiss on the girl's forehead and quietly left her room, leaving a crack in the door to hear her gentle snores.

 

HyunJin decided to get ready for bed as well, taking a quick shower and changing into sweatpants and an oversized long sleeve shirt. She dropped herself onto the living couch and decided to read a book while waiting for her lover's return home. 

 

After a couple of hours of reading, her eyelids grew heavy, her head nodded back and forth as she tried to stay awake, but not long after, HyunJin dozed off into her slumber.

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

Time moved as if it was in slow motion. HyunJin witnessed HeeJin's body collapse to the ground. Her eyes were left wide-open in desperation, realizing that HeeJin selfishly sacrificed herself to save her. 

 

The bodyguard pulled out her pistol and without any hesitation-

 

*BANG*

 

*BANG*

 

*BANG*

 

*BANG*

 

*click click click*

 

HyunJin emptied the rest of the bullets left in her gun at the killer, each hot piece of lead landed into his head. Even though the magazine was empty, she repeatedly pulled the trigger, wishing it had more bullets. As if shooting the dead body repeatedly would kill him, even in his afterlife or in his next life. 

 

Her gun slipped from her fingers as she dropped herself on the ground next to HeeJin's body. 

 

Tears were welling up in her eyes, HyunJin's heart was in such tormenting pain, her hands were trembling over HeeJin's face. Her voice came out utterly broken, struggling to voice anything out. "HeeJ-"

 

Suddenly, her mind was overwhelmed with an overflowing sensation that she never experienced before. Like a rush of water gushing into her mind, her tangled memories started to unravel. It was as if the blockade that sealed her lost memories was finally torn down, and they all poured out, like water, flooding, and filling all the vacant portions in her head. 

 

It all came back to her. 

 

The moment HyunJin and HeeJin found themselves on the ground when they first met. The night HeeJin shared first kiss experience. When HyunJin lost and eventually found HeeJin's precious family photo. The time HeeJin trusted HyunJin enough to share her past, their first embrace, their first kiss, their first night together, and how she protected HeeJin… but now their roles reversed, HeeJin protected her.

 

Now that all her precious moments returned to her. She realized how hard it was for HeeJin these past few months. It was almost agonizing recalling how hard HeeJin was trying to spark something inside of her, to somehow make her remember their time together. It tore at her heart, seeing how much HeeJin had to hold back when she was with her. How there was always sadness behind her smile, how desperate her eyes looked whenever she gazed into HyunJin's, trying to find any light of hope of repairing their broken relationship.

 

But what good is it all now? 

 

If anything, HyunJin wished her memories never returned because she wouldn't have to endure the pain that wracked her heart now. To have her memories back only for HeeJin, the girl she was in love with, now lay motionless. She called out to her loved one in a broken voice.

 

"Heekki."

 

"Heekki."

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

"HyunJin."

 

"Hyun, wake up."

 

The former bodyguard startles awake from her dream, taking a moment to be cognitive where she was. Her eyes scanned the room, realizing it was her living room, her warm and cozy home, not that wretched cold and dark hallway at Blockberry from years ago.

 

"You were restlessly tossing and turning. Were you having that dream again?" The deep soothing voice instantly calmed HyunJin. 

 

She didn't have to make any visual confirmation as to who was speaking to her. HyunJin wrapped herself around the other woman, kissing her in the lips. She dragged them into the couch and covered themselves with each other's arms

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter