primary user [pt. 1]

Bread

Mina lies down on her bed, staring up at the ceiling. Her eyes hurt a little and her back is sore but she's happy nonetheless.

 

Nothing better to do on her free day than to just lie in bed and play games.

 

Mina takes a minute to rest her eyes, holding the headgear in her hands. She wants to hurry up and put it back on to jump back in the game but her head is throbbing, so she decides Jihyo can handle the boss on her own. She's been playing for three hours already anyway.

 

She sighs. Her eyes still closed, she presses the button next to the headgear.

 

"Logging off...BlackSwan37. Thank you for playing."

 

After the game announces her leave, Mina puts the VR headgear on the table near her bed and sinks down further into the soft sheets.

 

Just as she's about to surrender to sleep, the doorbell rings.

 

With a frustrated groan she gets up, stomping her way to the door.

 

"I have a delivery for Myoui Mina."

 

When the man says this, Mina frowns. Did she order something? When...did she order–

 

The man pushes the tall box to her and swipes left, a hologram appears. "I need your signature please,"

 

Mina, although a bit confused, pulls out her phone and swipes up towards the hologram. She watches as a green check mark confirms her signature and the man wishes her a good day, leaving her with the huge box.

 

"Okay." Mina puts her hands on her hips as she eyes the box that's even taller than her. "Okay, cool."

 

She gets behind it and tries to push it inside her apartment. She gets surprised when it's fairly easy to do so, the box not weighing as much as she expected it to. It is still heavy but Mina does her exercise. She also has an arm made of metal but that's not important.

 

When it's finally in, she slams the door close. She holds her breath as she unboxes, cutting the tapes.

 

It's a girl.

 

Mina...ordered a girl?!

 

She panics, her eyes widening. She takes a few steps back and that's when she sees it.

 

Emotional Support AI Robot. She can feel emotions!

 

She breathes a sigh of relief. So it's not a real human. That's good.

 

Robots with Emotional Intelligence. REIs.

 

Mina's heard of them. It's hard not to, they're everywhere. All types of them, with different names and different appearances blending into the society like they're normal human beings.

 

Mina closes her eyes and runs her cold metal fingers through her hair. She did not order this. She would never waste her money on a robot.

 

But she knows someone who'd do anything to buy one. 

 

"Dahyun..." 

 

"I swear it wasn't me!" Dahyun defends herself on the hologram, looking at her with her eyebrows raised. "I wouldn't use your credit card without your permission, girl–"

 

Mina crosses her arms. "Except you have before."

 

"Let's not dwell on the past. I'm a changed woman." Dahyun stares into the distance.

 

"Get your here." Before Dahyun can protest, Mina ends the call. 

 

A few minutes later, Mina opens the door to a sulking Dahyun. "I was watching a movie with Nayeon, you monster."

 

"I don't care. You owe me."

 

"Yeah, yeah." Dahyun shoves her hands into the pockets of her checkered pants as she moves around the box. When she comes face to face with the robot, falls open. "Holy crap, she's so pretty."

 

"She," Mina emphasizes, "is a robot. And I sure as hell didn't order one."

 

"Have you checked your emails?"

 

Mina squints at the suggestion. "Smart."

 

She unlocks her phone and immediately checks her inbox, finding a receipt buried deep.

 

"There!" Mina exclaims and Dahyun moves to stand next to her when she swipes up and the email shows up on the wall as a hologram.

 

"So you bought her two weeks ago."

 

"Ugh, don't say it like that. I hate this." 

 

Dahyun frowns. "Wait, I don't think the AI's companies match. This receipt isn't for a REI."

 

"...this is for the AI robot I bought for Chaengie on her birthday." Mina groans.

 

"Oh, yeah she wouldn't shut up about it." Dahyun gives her a tight-lipped smile. "I forget you're rich sometimes. Welp, that's a huge lie, I never forget. I don't know why I said that." She turns back to the box and moves around it as if she's searching for something.

 

"What are you doing?" Mina asks as she stands before the robot that's still in the box with her eyes closed. 

 

"Looking for her serial number. Or name... Ah! Found it! Serial number... RZ5FgeyC." Dahyun laughs loudly. "Gay."

 

Mina rolls her eyes. "I'll search it in my inbox. What was it again?"

 

"Jo..hee?" Dahyun mumbles, reading above the serial number. "Her name is...Tzuyu?"

 

The robot opens her eyes.

 

Mina's heart almost stops. "Dahyun..." She warns. "Whatever you did, y-you better–"

 

"Hello."

 

Mina flinches at the robot's smooth voice. Dahyun slowly stands up in awe.

 

"My name is Tzuyu." The robot pushes the box door open and Mina takes a step back. "Tell me your name."

 

Feeling a little intimidated by the eye contact, Mina can't help but mutter. "M-Myoui Mina."

 

The robot extends her hand. Mina is too entranced and freaked out to stop and think.  Despite Dahyun waving her arms around, quietly telling her not to, she shakes the robot's hand that's surprisingly soft and warm.

 

The second Mina's hand touches hers, the robots eyes shine bright blue. "You are now logged in as a user of the primary level, Mina." 

 

"..t-thanks?"

 

Dahyun facepalms. "Great, you can't return her now."

 

The robot, Tzuyu, turns to Dahyun. "Have I inconvenienced you?"

 

Dahyun's eyes melt at the robot's innocent question. "No, no, no. Of course not. I just–"

 

"Is she a family member?"

 

Mina flinches once again under the robot's stare. Why did she have to be so tall? "No."

 

Dahyun pouts. "Ouch."

 

"Romantic partner?" Tzuyu asks again.

 

Mina's cheeks redden slightly. "No."

 

Dahyun smirks this time. "You hesitated."

 

"I didn't." Mina defends herself, her stern gaze speaking the volumes ten times her voice.

 

"Mhmm. 'kay."

 

"Hey, bot." Mina calls her attention. "I want to return you. How do I do that?"

 

"I am afraid that is not possible. Due to my model being exclusive, refunds are strictly unacceptable once I come in contact with a human and log them in."

 

"This," Dahyun points at Tzuyu, "is what I was trying to tell you with my chicken flapping moves." Dahyun shakes her head.

 

Mina ignores Dahyun, getting frustrated more by the second. "Then log me out!"

 

"I can't. You are the primary user, Mina." Tzuyu insists.

 

"But I didn't even order you!"

 

Tzuyu's face shows no emotion. "Odd. My system tells me that is not possible, since I currently am in what appears to be..." She looks at the family photo on the wall and scans it, "your house."

 

"Yes. It's my house." Mina's getting really agitated. "And I don't want you here."

 

Tzuyu's eyes drop. "I see."

 

Dahyun touches Mina's arm. "Come on, she has feelings. Don't say that."

 

"She's a robot, Dahyun. She can't have feelings. She's just a chunk of metal."

 

For the first time that evening, Dahyun's goofy stare turns into a serious one. She glares at her best friend before she moves forward and grabs Tzuyu's hand. 

 

"Unidentified human contact."

 

Dahyun doesn't let go. "Tell her to log me in."

 

"Dahyun–"

 

"Do it."

 

Mina runs her fingers through her hair. She knows how supportive Dahyun is of robots, how much she loves them and wants them to have equal rights. Remembering all of this calms her down a little and she feels a little guilty for acting the way she did when she knows how Dahyun feels about it. "Tzuyu, log her in."

 

"Permission granted. You can now log in."

 

"I'm Kim Dahyun." Dahyun's eyes soften as she stares at the robot. "It's nice to meet you, Tzuyu."

 

Tzuyu's eyes shine bright blue for a second before they turn back to her normal warm brown. "You are now authorized as a user of the second level, Kim Dahyun."

 

The robot smiles and Dahyun kind of loses it when her dimple appears. "It is quite nice to meet you as well."

 

Mina has to admit it looks pretty natural for a robot. Tzuyu is probably the latest version out there.

 

Dahyun keeps Tzuyu's hand in hers as she turns to Mina. The robot doesn't seem to mind. "Tzuyu will be my guest. I'm sure Nayeon won't mind. Until you learn how to behave around a person, don't come up."

 

Mina's arms fall to her sides in defeat. "Oh, come on. Dahyunie I–"

 

"Who is Nayeon?"

 

Dahyun smiles widely at Tzuyu as she pulls her out of the apartment. "My fiance."

 


 

"I'm sensing high stress levels. Would you like to do some breathing exercises?"

 

Mina stares at Tzuyu. "No. I'm fine."

 

"It has been approximately two days and thirteen hours since I have seen you." Tzuyu's head turns robotically towards Mina. "Do you still hate me?"

 

Mina sighs. "I don't hate you. I'm sorry. You know, for...before."

 

Tzuyu's eyebrows come closer together. "I don't understand," she says, confused.

 

Mina looks at Dahyun for help. They haven't been speaking much since that day but she's here to make things right. She's here to apologize and start over with Tzuyu no matter how much it hurts her pride.

 

Dahyun sips her tea. "Don't worry about it, Tzuyu. What humans feel about certain things can change as time passes."

 

"I see." Tzuyu says, turning to Dahyun who's sitting on the couch across her. 

 

"And it turns out, I did order you." Mina says to Tzuyu, then her eyes find Dahyun's. "Remember the night of Chaeyoung's birthday?"

 

Dahyun frowns. "...not really."

 

"Exactly. We were so hammered. But unsurprisingly Chaeyoung remembers everything just fine. I called her the other day and she asked me if the bot arrived yet. She said I ordered a REI because of a bet that apparently, I lost." Mina shrugs, leaning back against the couch. "Later I dug up the receipt from my inbox."

 

"Makes sense." Dahyun nods.

 

She notices the slight change in Mina's face when she sees Tzuyu's intense gaze directed at her. Tzuyu's probably not doing it on purpose but Mina seems very uncomfortable. 

 

Dahyun smiles at Tzuyu. "Could you go see if Nayeon needs any help? I heard her grumbling to herself earlier in the kitchen."

 

"If you wish." Tzuyu stands up and leaves.

 

"Mina," Dahyun calls Mina's attention after the door closes. "Tzuyu is...great. Her system is very advanced. Coming from someone that works in an AI company, I assure you, she's incredibly impressive. And she looks and feels completely human. Not a glimpse of metal on her skin."

 

"It's not about that. I–" Mina sighs. "I just don't like bots. You know that..."

 

Dahyun has a remorseful smile on her face. "I know. I know it's hard for you but Tzuyu is here now. There's nothing we can do about that. So you either give her a chance or throw her out in the street. We all know how it would go for her if you choose the second option so I'm hoping it doesn't come to that."

 

She'd become a e. That's what happens to bots without owners that live in the street. Mina knows that. And Mina might not be a big supporter of AI rights but the thought of someone mistreating a robot and teaching them the wrong things for their own pleasure bothers her immensely. The immorality of it all sickens her to her stomach.

 

Mina sighs, her metal arm clinking as she rubs her face in stress. "Seeing Tzuyu...it reminds me of that bot. That damn bot..."

 

Dahyun stands up only to sit beside her, throwing an arm around her best friend to pull her close. 

 

Mina welcomes the warmth Dahyun offers, burrowing herself in her neck as tears fill her eyes. "I know, I know it's been two years. Two very long years...But I can still feel it sometimes."

 

Dahyun hesitates but asks anyway, "Feel what?"

 

Mina swallows hard. "The pain. My arm being ripped off– thrown away by that...thing, like it was worthless. I can still remember the feeling of my skin being seared off my bones and the crunchy sound it made when my arm was broken a-and–" As Mina continues to describe, her metal arm feels heavier and heavier. Her heart beating fast against her chest. She's panting.

 

Dahyun notices the signs, stopping her from going further down her spiral. "Hey, no," She whispers into her ear, pulling her into a real tight hug. "Shhhh. I got you. It's okay. Don't think about that anymore. It's in the past. I promise you, it won't happen again. Mina," Dahyun has a sad smile on her face as she pulls back and gently wipes her best friends tears. "Look at me. I'm here. You're here. You're okay."

 

Mina hugs her, her emotions all over the place once she's said what's been in her mind for months. It's perhaps not the best time to have a breakdown, with Tzuyu and Nayeon merely a room away. Mina really hopes Tzuyu doesn't hear her sobs and comes to offer her some sort of stupid exercise to calm her down.

 

"I'm sorry for being so harsh on you..." Dahyun's soft words are muttered into Mina's hoodie. "I had no idea you–... God, I'm so sorry. I wish you told me sooner,"

 

"Me too."

 

They stay like that for some time, swaying slightly until Mina feels herself calming down.

 

"Nayeon did require some assistance. You were right, Dahyun." Tzuyu enters, her brows furrowing at the sight of the two friends hugging. "What are you doing?"

 

Mina wishes Tzuyu would just go away and let her have this moment. 

 

But Dahyun is too kind, as usual.

 

"We're hugging. Mina wasn't feeling well."

 

Tzuyu blinks. "Is it effective? Is Mina feeling better?"

 

"I hope so." Dahyun answers, giggling softly into Mina's hair.

 

Mina can't help the smile that blooms on her face. "I am,"

 

"I see. Mina has refused to do breathing exercises that had %56.29 chance of making her feel better, but has accepted physical affection with the chance of %48.036."

 

Dahyun breaks the hug to grin up at Tzuyu. "That's right. But humans are very diverse, Tzuyu. Mina might prefer hugs but someone else might prefer those breathing exercises instead. It really depends on the person."

 

Tzuyu smiles. "I understand." 

 

Mina rolls her eyes. Not at Tzuyu in particular but at her stupid, stupid smile that's all cute and loveable and just which freaks idea was it to put a dimple on a robots cheek–

 

Mina stands up and clears as if she wasn't crying just seconds ago. "Anyway, let's go, Tzuyu."

 

"Go? Where?"

 

Dahyun presses her lips together at Mina's decision. "Mina's here to take you home."

 

"Home?"

 

"Yes, home." Mina says, impatient. She's getting embarrassed by the proud stare Dahyun is sending her way, wanting to leave as quickly as she can. "Come on." 

 

As Mina walks, a hand soft and gentle grabs her metal one. Mina looks up with a frown to see Tzuyu innocently smiling at her. She tries to free her hand but when Tzuyu doesn't let go, she sighs and gives up.

 

Dahyun chuckles. "Alright. I'll see you soon, Tzuyu. Take care of Mina for me, yeah?"

 

"Yes. That is my sole purpose."

 

Before Mina can make a comment on how lame that sounds, Nayeon appears, wearing an apron. "Aww, Tzu Tzu's leaving?"

 

All Mina can think is how fast Tzuyu got these people attached to her. What was so special about her anyway?

 

"Yes, I will start living with Mina, effective immediately." 

 

"I'll come visit." Nayeon's bunny smile makes Dahyun's heart flutter as she nods, agreeing.

 

"I would appreciate that." Tzuyu says as Nayeon moves closer, wrapping her arms around the tall robot. Tzuyu doesn't let go of Mina's hand but hugs Nayeon with her other arm. 

 

Nayeon presses a soft kiss on Tzuyu's cheek, "Who's the prettiest girl?"

 

"Nayeon." 

 

"That's right." Nayeon closes her eyes briefly as she nods with a satisfied smile, pressing her lips together. 

 

Dahyun pulls Nayeon back with a loud laugh, trapping her in a backhug. "What have you been teaching her while I was out?"

 

Nayeon hums. "Only the facts."

 

"Well...I can't deny that." Dahyun softly lands her lips on Nayeon's shoulder and Nayeon giggles at the affection.

 

"Okay. I'll show myself out." Mina rolls her eyes at the newly engaged couple, not minding her in the slightest as they start kissing.

 

"Wait!" Dahyun breaks the kiss and walks up to Mina in a hurry. "If you ever wanna talk more about that or anything at all... I'm here. Always. Don't shut yourself out. Okay? Just...whatever you need, bestie." She whispers so that only they can hear (and probably Tzuyu).

 

"Thank you," Mina's smile is genuine and for a moment Dahyun wants to ask her to stay longer to hang out. 

 

But on the other hand there is Nayeon...looking insanely attractive in that apron with her hair up in a ponytail...

 

So yeah, maybe another time.

 


 

"Got it?"

 

"Yes." Tzuyu nods. "These instructions are fairly easy."

 

"Great then, maybe I'll finally have some competition." 

 

It's crazy how Mina only explains the game and controls once and Tzuyu completely destroys her on the first round. Mina hates how perfect and calculated her moves are and being stubborn as she is, she demands round after round. Even her competitive nature gives up after a while and Mina throws the controller on her bed with a frustrated groan.

 

She glares at the screen. 

 

"It appears I have won." Tzuyu smiles briefly before her gaze falls on Mina. "You do not seem happy."

 

"So? Leave me alone." Mina growls, standing up from the ground and heading to the kitchen, her stomach grumbling.

 

"Mina," Tzuyu calls her as the said girl opens the fridge, "Have I done something wrong? Please tell me. I learn from what you teach me."

 

Mina sighs, rolling her eyes. "Fine," She shuts the fridge and turns to Tzuyu, annoyed. "I'm sad I lost. You didn't do anything wrong, okay? You're perfect. Now leave me alone."

 

"Okay. But I cannot leave you."

 

Mina breathes through her nose, ready to throw hands. "And just why is tha–"

 

"I can see that your blood glucose levels are too low for a human. I predict you haven't been eating for the last 48 hours. It's worrying me."

 

Mina hates that a basic scan is all it takes for Tzuyu to read her like a book.

 

"It's not any of your business."

 

"I have 26 cookbooks downloaded into my memory. If you wish, I could make something healthy that would suit your taste."

 

"Thanks but no thanks," Mina waves her hand, "I'll just order something."

 

"What will you order?"

 

Mina shrugs. "I dunno, burger or pizza probably."

 

Tzuyu stops blinking. She stares at Mina with her eyes slightly wide, unmoving. 

 

"W-What?" Tzuyu's sudden soulless eyes remind Mina of that bot again and she feels like she can't breathe until Tzuyu speaks.

 

"A burger contains 640 calories average, pizza 2269,  fries 312 calories per hundred grams, cola 390 calories. Plus the fats. If you are keen on ordering one of those options, I would recommend the burger menu."

 

Oh, she was just processing information. Okay.

 

Mina exhales, taking out her phone. "If it'll help getting you off my back then okay."

 


 

It's dark. Cold.

 

Mina turns around but it's still dark. She can feel the hot air leaving her trembling lips. She can feel strands of her own hair grazing her bare shoulders as she moves, searching for light.

 

She reaches her hand out, hesitantly, and her fingers come in contact with something hard. She flinches, pulling back for a moment only to reach out again. Her palm rests on the cold smooth surface.

 

Suddenly a force pulls her back and she hears screams. She hears people screaming her name at the top of their lungs. She can't move thanks to the invisible force. She shuts her eyes when the screams get louder, wishing desperately for them to shut up.

 

"W-Win. I must...w-win. W---wwin."

 

She only opens her eyes when she hears the robotic voice. It's then she knows. It's a dream. A nightmare. She screams this time wanting to wake up, but her voice gets lost in the crowd of others. She knows what's going to happen next when she feels cold fingers on her shoulder and around her neck.

 

She can't breathe, nor can she scream as her shoulder gets crushed by the tight grip. 

 

"VVic– Victtorr–M-me. I-I am." The robot stutters, its eyes soulless and so...so human.

 

Just as the robots grip slips down from her shoulder to her arm and the screams of Mina's name get ear-splittingly loud– 

 

Just as Mina feels her arm getting ripped away from the rest of her body, her flesh tearing and blood spurting everywhere,

 

She wakes up.

 

The pain is fresh in her arm and mind as she sits up frantically on the bed, her breaths loud and fast. She whimpers, her lips trembling as the first sob escapes out of her. Bringing her hands up to clutch at her own hair, she grits her teeth at how cold her metal fingers are, reminder of what she has lost two years ago.

 

She holds her breath and listens to her heartbeat. It's too fast and irregular. She exhales, tugging tighter at her scalp when tears spill from her eyes and drop on the sheets.

 

Then there's warmth.

 

She's surrounded tightly by warmth and arms so stable and comforting that it makes her feel so...safe. She lets herself go and is met only with whispers, promising her this will pass.

 

"Y-You're warm," is what Mina responds with, barely able to get the words out.

 

"I have thermal control over my electrical motors."

 

Mina continues to cry, trying to forget the same nightmare she has every few nights. 

 

Tzuyu soothes her by gently rubbing circles on her back, then starts caressing her hair. "Am I doing this correctly? Mina?"

 

Mina answers by burrowing her head further into Tzuyu's chest.

 

Tzuyu miraculously understands, slowly lying down on the bed, Mina still in her arms. "You are warm too. I like it."

 


 

Mina opens her eyes.

 

"You've awakened safely. My duty is complete." Tzuyu says, smiling. She makes a move to get out of her grip but Mina hugs her tighter.

 

"Stay," she whispers with a pout, closing her eyes again as she rubs the tip of her nose on Tzuyu's neck. The warmth is welcome and Mina's aware she's cuddling with the robot she was dead set on hating but...well, that's just life isn't it? Things don't always go as planned.

 

"Okay." Tzuyu doesn't complain, wrapping her arms around Mina once more. "Physical affection truly is your mood lifter. I've come to realize it is your favorite type of comfort."

 

Mina blushes. "Are you going to keep talking?"

 

"No." Tzuyu leans her head against Mina's. 

 

A few moments pass and Mina's just very impressed by how human-like Tzuyu is built. Her arm that's wrapped around the robots waist doesn't feel like it's resting on metal. Tzuyu feels...soft under her touch.

 

"Can I ask you something?"

 

Mina throws her leg over Tzuyu's. "You're very talkative for a robot, you know that right?"

 

"I do." It startles Mina slightly when Tzuyu moves her body and gets comfortable, pulling Mina closer in the process. "It's how I differ from the other models. I learn through my experiences with humans."

 

"How do you even know if what you're taught is right? People can teach you wrong things that could cause harm to others."

 

"If it's my primary user, I do not question them."

 

"That's exactly my point." Mina says, "What if your primary user tells you it's okay to kill people? What do you do then? Do you believe them?"

 

"My programming doesn't allow me to do such violent acts. It's against my protocols. What I can be taught is limited to certain topics."

 

"That's good then. I would hate to lose another arm." If it's a joke, none of them can tell it is and Mina chuckles a bit. The robot doesn't.

 

"Your nightmare." Tzuyu says, and as if she knows it's a touchy topic, she starts caressing Mina's blonde locks. "Would you like to talk about it?"

 

Mina ponders for a while as Tzuyu's fingertips lightly scratch her head from time to time, her touch so gentle that Mina feels sleep returning to her. "I used to be an MMA fighter. And I was really good. Well... that's what Jihyo used to tell me back then anyway. She was my manager."

 

Tzuyu stops her minimal touches. Mina's disappointment doesn't last long because the robot decides to cradle Mina's head against her chest. If they weren't this close, Mina wouldn't have learned that Tzuyu actually breathes, her chest rising and falling. How, Mina has no idea.

 

"I had this.. big match coming up. My opponent was very popular, had a lot supporters but I wasn't intimidated. Jihyo made sure of that." Mina smiled briefly. "Anyway, It didn't take long for me to beat her and win the match but something was different in her eyes then. Before I knew it, she lunged at me. She grabbed my neck and slammed me to the floor. I was caught off-guard. Her eyes were red and the side of her head was bleeding. Through the blood I could see the metal shining beneath. She was a robot. And no one ing knew it until the maniac ripped my arm off like I was a god-damned barbie doll–"

 

"That's why your arm is–"

 

"Yes." Mina started shaking, this time with anger. "After that, things obviously went to court. They silenced me with money and threats and reduced the robot owner's sentence. I couldn't be an MMA fighter anymore, thanks to my metal arm. So I quit."

 

"Thank you for telling me." Tzuyu's voice is softer, Mina wonders if it's her imagination. "Everything is clearer to me now."

 

"Really? Like what?"

 

"It explains why you have a built body. Your muscles." As if to prove her point, Tzuyu slides her hand down to her arm and squeezes. 

 

Mina blushes. 

 

"And. It also explains why you look afraid of me sometimes."

 

Mina feels a tiny bit of guilt but she stays silent. 

 

"It's okay. I understand why. But I would never hurt you."

 

"I know," Mina her lips, an old habit of hers when she's feeling awkward. "Because of your system restrictions–"

 

"Yes," Tzuyu cuts her off with her monotone voice. "But more so because I care about you. And you're my primary user. My duty is to take care of you, make you feel better. I do not want to hurt you."

 

Mina closes her eyes, a smile playing on her lips. "That's nice."

 

"I am truly sorry this happened to you." Tzuyu offers her sympathy.

 

"Me too." Mina sighs.

 

~

 

Tzuyu watches as Mina throws a piece of bread in . "Is it tasty?"

 

"Yeah," Mina smiles. The soft smile on her face disappears when she realizes she's been doing too much of that around the robot lately.

 

It's hard to blame her for it when Tzuyu holds her in her arms at night and chases the nightmares away. For the past week, sleep had come so easily to Mina thanks to her. And not just that but there was more color in Mina's life now that Tzuyu was there. More life in the apartment. More laughter. Oh, less chores too.

 

"Out of the five senses, I only don't have taste receptors. It's quite unfortunate." Tzuyu stares at the bread. "But if I could eat, I would try the bread first."

 

Mina chuckles and shakes her head, amused. Just two seconds ago she was scolding herself for tearing her walls down so quickly but to hell with it. Tzuyu earned it. 

 

When Mina looks up again and meets Tzuyu's eyes, she sees her smiling softly at her. It's moments like these, Mina forgets Tzuyu is a robot. 

 

She averts her eyes, focusing on her breakfast.

 

"Please drink the juice as well."

 

Mina casts a disgusted look at the green juice. "I'm fine."

 

"But It's very good for you."

 

"I'm sure it is."

 

Tzuyu doesn't notice the sarcasm in her voice and continues to insist. "Then drink. Please. At least the half of it."

 

Mina pouts. Still supporting the disgusted look on her face, she grabs the glass. "Only half of it."

 

Tzuyu gives her a satisfied nod. 

 

Mina takes a sip. It takes every bit of strength in her to not throw up on the table– the juice tastes as bad as it looks. Once she drinks half of it, she slams the glass on the table, making a sour face. "The hell did you put in this?"

 

"Celery, cabbage, cucumber, apple, carrot–"

 

"Okay, stop!" Mina shudders, the taste still in . "Please. Don't make that ever again."

 

"I don't understand." Tzuyu looks genuinely confused. "These food are all proven to be very good for your body. But they taste bad?"

 

"When you put them all together, yes! Have you even looked up a recipe? I thought you had twenty-something cookbooks memorized. " Mina throws another piece of bread in , desperate to get rid of the awful aftertaste of the juice.

 

"They say nothing about juicing. So I thought the healthiest recipe would be–"

 

"Don't," Mina raises her voice slightly. "Don't improvise ever again. Please."

 

"Okay. I apologize."

 

Now Mina wants to kick herself because Tzuyu looks disappointed and sad. She clears . "I do appreciate you trying though. Thank you."

 

Tzuyu lights up almost instantly, looking at Mina with a childish smile. "You're welcome, Mina. I'll go look up a recipe and make a new one for you."

 

"What? No wait–" Mina tries to stop Tzuyu from standing up as she reaches over the table to hold her arm. A few miscalculations cause her to hit the glass instead, knocking it down. The half of the juice that was left in it is now on Tzuyu's clothes. She gasps. 

 

Tzuyu looks down. The juice colors her white pants and t-shirt green.

 

"I swear, I didn't mean to do that." Mina defends herself as she grabs the fallen glass. "Sorry."

 

"It's alright."

 

Mina sighs. "You need to change."

 

Tzuyu blinks. "Okay." She lifts her t-shirt up. When Mina catches a glimpse of her stomach and realizes what Tzuyu is doing, she quickly turns her gaze away.

 

"What are you doing!?" Mina hides her red face behind her hands. "You can't change here!"

 

"Why not?" 

 

"B-Because I'm here!"

 

"I don't mind."

 

"I do! Just...go to my room. You can grab whatever you want from there."

 

"Understood." Tzuyu nods. As she makes her way to Mina's room, the juice drips down on the floor and Mina grimaces.

 

The doorbell rings. 

 

"Heyyy," Dahyun says as soon as Mina opens the door. "How is my second favorite girl in the world doing?" They hug and Mina chuckles.

 

"I'm doing okay." While they pull back Mina asks, "How are you?"

 

"I'm great." Dahyun sighs dramatically as she enters the apartment. "Nayeon is so amazing. I really should've asked her to move in with me sooner."

 

"I'm still amazed at how you two went from ignoring each other to getting engaged."

 

Dahyun laughs. "You know Nayeon, she can be....." she trails off, her pale cheeks slightly red.

 

"What?" Mina asks, smirking.

 

"Mina, I have laid out the clothes that'll fit me but I was unable to make a choice. Would you help me?" Tzuyu says from behind her.

 

Mina turns around. Tzuyu is just standing there, only in her underwear. 

 

"Oh, hi Dahyun." The robot waves at her with a small smile.

 

"Hi, Tzuyu–"

 

Mina can't take much of this any longer, her face burning. She starts pushing Tzuyu back towards her bedroom. "Oh my god! Wear something! Anything! Please!" She shuts the door to Tzuyu's face. 

 

When she hears a soft 'okay' coming from the other side of the door, Mina sighs, pinching the bridge of her nose.

 

"Sooo ..." Dahyun wiggles her eyebrows. 

 

"No."

 

"Okay." Dahyun holds her hands up playfully. "But the girl did come out of your bedroom half-. Just saying."

 

"She's a robot." It hurts Mina to say it, but it is the truth. 

 

Dahyun's smile disappears. "Right."

 

"I'm not saying that to belittle her–"

 

"I know. I can tell." Dahyun presses her lips together, almost looking amused. "You know, Tzuyu's changing. I don't know if you've noticed but her voice is not so monotonous and robotic anymore. She's picking up the way we talk. Our speech melody."

 

"I... haven't really noticed that." 

 

"She's too smart for an AI. I have met REI's before but none like her. She has a unique personality." Dahyun's voice drops down to a  whisper. "And that's actually why I'm here. I wanted to ask you if I could...remove her AI shackles."

 

"W-What?" Mina frowns and whispers back. "Are you crazy?! That's way too dangerous–"

 

"I've always wanted to try it and Tzuyu is the perfect candidate. Please."

 

"No!" Mina gently pushes Dahyun back and walks away. She grabs her metal arm, the cold surface always making her shiver. "Absolutely not. I can't put everyone in danger just because you want to do an experiment. An illegal experiment at that! They put a chip in these bots, if you mess with her core system they'll get notified. You know that!"

 

"And you know that i'm one of the engineers ofthat chip. I can deactivate it!" Dahyun sounds desperate. "I've been working on this for years. I'm still not exactly there yet but I'll be able to sort it out in a week or so. Just...please. She wasn't designed to kill. She's not dangerous."

 

"Dahyun... it's too risky."

 

"Listen," Dahyun wets her lips and crosses her arms. "I will do this. Whether it's Tzuyu or some other bot. The reason I'm insisting on Tzuyu is because she already is developing skills that require free will. I'm guessing her AI code is flawed which allows a window for me to–"

 

"You're giving me a headache." Mina breathes through her nose, running her fingers through her blonde hair. "Fine. I'll...think about it."

 

"Okay. That's good enough for me."