too magical

Bread

A/N: here is one-shot inspired by feel special mv :3

 


It's cold.

Or she assumes it is. She can't exactly feel the weather, but from the way the shop owner slightly trembles and shudders, she knows it must be.

It's too early in the morning. Too early to open the shop. Tzuyu can hear the birds chirping like every other day until the old woman closes the window shut. Then it's silent.

When the old woman walks towards her, Tzuyu doesn't flinch. She does nothing– nothing but stare straight ahead. The owner reaches up on the shelf she's on and grabs the old clock right next to her. Tzuyu can't help the disappointment in her heart.

But then again, it's nothing new. Tzuyu's used to this. She's used to being on the shelf, surrounded by old clocks, abandoned and forgotten.

She wishes they would speak to her at least. But the clocks are silent– much like the lamps, the vases and the chairs and pretty much any other furniture in the antique shop. She's had hopes for the paintings, but they are even quieter.

When the old woman leaves to go back into the staff room (Tzuyu doesn't even know why it's called that because no one else works here), she relaxes a bit. Her eyes move around and she sits down on her dusty couch, thinking. Thinking if this is how the rest of her life is going to be. She doesn't want that. But she's also scared of the life outside. She's safe here. It's boring and lonely, but she's safe and isn't that what matters?

The owner returns and Tzuyu stands up in a millisecond, even manages to smooth out her dress before she goes rigid as a stone.

It's hard not to widen her eyes when something incredible happens.

The bell rings and the door opens– it's a customer. It has to be because the elderly woman barely has any visitors.

Tzuyu doesn't have to glance at the old woman to know that she is pleasantly surprised. "Can I help you, sweetie?" Her voice is warm as if she's welcoming a family member.

"Oh, good morning! I was just passing by and well, my mother's birthday is coming up," The customer laughs bashfully, "She loves shops like these so..."

Again, Tzuyu can just tell the shop owner is smiling. The old woman tells the girl to look around and call her if she needs help. She then picks up her broom and continues sweeping the the non-existent dust on the floor.

It's a simple routine. A customer enters. Looks everywhere and finds something they like. And that something is never Tzuyu. It's never her that gets picked up, it's never her that gets noticed in the antique shop.

So when the customer suddenly stops in front of her and looks up at the top shelf she's on, Tzuyu gets this weird feeling.

"Wow." The college student (Tzuyu assumes) sighs, almost in awe at what Tzuyu hopes is her. And it is her, she realizes, when the girl reaches up and takes her so gently from her doll house. "You're so pretty."

As seeds of hope sprout inside her heart, Tzuyu wishes she could say: You too.

"I wonder what your name is." Tzuyu can't look right at the woman, determined not to blow her cover as she keeps a straight face. 

It's weird how Tzuyu can suddenly feel the warmth of this girl's hand around her body. She's not supposed to feel anything. But maybe it's not the girl's hand that warms her, but her bright smile.

Tzuyu wants to go with her. She desperately wishes this girl would buy her.

"Oh, I see you've found Tzuyu."

The girl jumps and turns to the old woman. "Ah, her name is Tzuyu?" she chuckles to herself. "She's really well crafted. The details on her dress, face, hair... Amazing."

At the owner's amused look, the girl shakes her head with a shy smile and stutters, "I'm..I'm an art major, actually."

"That's nice." The shop owner slowly walks behind the counter. "So have you found what you were looking for, darling?"

"Oh right!" Much to Tzuyu's disappointment, the girl places her back in her doll house and grabs a vase from behind her. "I think she'll like this one. Do you accept credit cards?"

As the customer pays, Tzuyu's left with these emotions. Somehow they're worse than before. Somehow she wants to cry but she can't, not now.

The college student leaves after throwing one last look at her over her shoulder (Tzuyu sees it from the reflection on the mirror).

Once again, Tzuyu's left with her eyes locked ahead, standing straight in her small doll house like she's always been. She's not sure how long she can keep this up–

The door bell rings.

"Sorry! I j-just–" It's the customer, the girl. She sounds excited, panting. "Just–um...how much is she?"

You see, Tzuyu knows that the girl is pointing at her because when the old woman reaches up on her shelf, this time she gets picked up. Not some old clock. Her. 

"This?"

"Yes. Her." The girl smiles.

The old woman sighs. She says the price.

The student's eyes widen. "That's...that's a lot."

"It's a really rare piece of work. One of a kind."

"No, of course, I understand but... is there no chance for...."

"I'm sorry, honey. I can't."

The girl looks lost for a second before she lightens up again. "Then please. Can you reserve her for me? I promise I'll be back to buy her as soon as I have the money."

"You're really determined to buy it."

"I am." She nods shyly.

The old woman puts Tzuyu back to her little house, the college student's eyes following the doll. "Unfortunately, a collector contacted me a while ago from overseas. So I can't wait for more than a month–"

Tzuyu didn't know this. There is someone else who wants to buy her? When did she become so important? And no, Tzuyu's heard terrifying stories of collectors. She'd rather stay at the antique store than to find out first-hand if they're true.

"I promise I'll come pick her up in a month. Earlier if I have to. Please, I really want her."

A few seconds of silence pass as the old lady weighs the sincerity in the student's eyes.

"Well," The owner of the shop smiles. "Alright. A month. And if you don't show up, I'm selling it to that foreign collector. No crying after that, okay?"

The student nods, her eyes wide with hope swimming in them.

"Tell me your name and phone number. I'll write it down somewhere."

"Thank you so much!" The girl grins, her eyes disappearing. "It's M-Momo. Hirai. Uh," she shakes her head adorably and laughs. "Hirai Momo, yup."

One month.

Maybe Tzuyu can endure this just a little longer.

***

Tzuyu loves it the most when the shop's closes and the old lady leaves. Because then, she can do whatever she wants.

So instead of standing around in her doll house like she's done the whole day, Tzuyu walks. Without any purpose she just walks along the halls. It's a pain to climb up to the top shelf later but Tzuyu has her ways. She's been inside the same four walls for years. If she wanted to, she could escape without any difficulty. In fact, whenever she's too bored, she'd imagine herself in a scenario where she would actually go through with her plan (the one she's always though of) and actually escape. But that's all it is. A dream. Because as much as it sounds exciting to be free, she doesn't know what's outside. She's never been...rogue.

But there are also times where she just stays inside her doll house, takes off her ridiculously puffy dress and breathes for once in her thin white chemise. She lies down on her couch and quietly mumbles the songs she's heard from the old lady's radio. Sometimes she dances. She doesn't know what she's doing half the time but dancing brings her joy. She feels silly– dancing to songs she's whispering in the dark.

But she continues to do it anyway. Because it helps in a way she can't explain.

She starts thinking of Momo as she dances. Her insides flutter and she wishes these two weeks would pass by faster.

Momo's so sweet. There's no doubt she'd treat her kindly and would never harm her. Then again, maybe Tzuyu's too trusting. But honestly? She decides to stay optimistic just this once. For her own sake.

It's been way too long without any decent company and Tzuyu's just tired of it all. And as she gets ignored more and more in the antique shop, although it's scary to admit– it feels as though she's losing a bit of her soul everyday. Sometimes it feels like if this went any longer, she might become nothing more than a simple lifeless doll like humans believe that she is.

So when the next morning comes and Tzuyu watches the old lady placing another figure right next to her, she freaks out a little bit.

From what Tzuyu can see out of the corner of her eye, this doll is beautiful. Her clothes look fresh and top material, shining like the paint that was used to bring color to her face. She looks and gives off the opposite vibe Tzuyu does with those pirate clothes and fierce gaze, posing with her guns firm in her grip. 

She looks like she doesn't belong here– in an antique shop. She looks brand new and it doesn't make any sense.

It's torture to go through the whole day without saying a word. And once the store closes, Tzuyu feels like the torture is just taking a different form. 

It's the first company she's had in years. And maybe it's because she's intimidated by this new doll's appearance that she can't seem to find the words to communicate.

This is her first potential friend in ages. Tzuyu can't pass this chance up. She needs to speak. 

"H-Hi."

She waits for the doll to move, to look at her but there's nothing of that. It's then she starts to think: maybe this doll didn't have the ability to speak. Maybe she or it wasn't alive at all.

There's this unpreventable disappointment that envelopes her in that second. With a sigh, she wiggles out of her huge dress and lays it down on the couch with care.

"That's a little naughty."

She flinches. Was that voice...?

Tzuyu turns back to the figurine, her eyes wide with hope. The doll hasn't moved. She waits, and waits for a few other words but none come. Just as she's giving up, the doll exaggeratedly exhales, as she hunches forwards.

"Sorry, I couldn't greet you back earlier."

Tzuyu just... stares in awe.

The pirate figurine adjusts her hat. "There was this man outside and he probably could see me through the huge glass window so I kind of panicked–"

Tzuyu blinks. "Y-You can't see inside the store from there."

"Oh." The doll laughs and Tzuyu is mesmerized by it– her heart fills with joy because finally, finally– she's not alone. "That makes sense why you were so relaxed," her new friend (god, her friend!!!) says. 

Tzuyu feels obligated to smile back. She's awkward a little but from the look in the pirate's eyes, she doesn't mind.

"I'm an exclusive action figure from the Waves of Co-Pirates. It's, er... it's a cartoon."

Tzuyu smooths down her hair. "Sounds exciting."

"It was. At least when it was popular but now no one even remembers the show." The pirate sulks. "I'm Silvertooth by the way. Although I do prefer to be called Mina. Like to think I'm different than the others."

"Got it. That's nice." Tzuyu nods, fidgeting with her hands.

"What about you? Which character are you? And from which show?"

"None, I'm not an action figure...just a doll." It's the first time Tzuyu wishes she was an action figure.

"Oh. I'm so sorry for assuming." Mina puts her guns in her belt, her eyes never leaving Tzuyu's. "I only thought you were an action figure because you look...well, like a princess."

Tzuyu lets out a sound between a chuckle and a sigh, looking down at her hands. When she looks up, Mina's looking at her with these curious big brown eyes. 

"..Do you have a name?"

"Oh," Tzuyu laughs. Why is she laughing at everything? She must seem so stupid. "I do. It's... It's Tzuyu."

"It's nice to meet you." Mina's so polite and it makes her feel refreshed. She has everything Tzuyu could have imagined in a friend.

"I can show you around the store...if you want?"

"I'd love that."

Tzuyu grins a little as she jumps slightly on her heels. "Great!" Her enthusiasm causes her flower crown to fall on her nose and she chuckles as she pulls it off her hair and throws it on the sofa, embarrassed. "Come on. Follow me."

***

Once the tour is more or less finished, they're sitting by the windowsill near the giant painting of a knight riding a horse. It's a nice painting. Tzuyu's favorite, actually. Because the knight looks so free in between all the green and there are a lot of people that are applauding, probably admiring him/her. Tzuyu loves that. And the horse! Oh, the horse is so lovely.

"So now you're waiting for this Momo girl?"

Tzuyu nods.

The pirate figure sighs, taking off her hat. "You know...I like you Tzuyu. So I'm gonna be honest with you."

Tzuyu's heart jumps at the confession and she turns to her new friend, listening intently.

"Humans don't usually do the things they say they will. If I were you, I wouldn't put that much faith in that girl."

There's this urge to defend Momo, but Tzuyu thinks on it before saying anything. She stays quiet for a few seconds. "While I understand why you might say that, I don't think Momo is that kind of person."

"I hope you're right." Mina throws her arm around her shoulders then, and Tzuyu feels warmth for the second time in her life.

***

"I'm never not surprised by how quickly you get rid of that dress. Is it really that uncomfortable?"

Tzuyu laughs. "Yes!"

"Maybe I should wear it sometime and see how it is," Mina wiggles her eyebrows.

Tzuyu untangles the crown from her hair. "Let's do it!"

Mina's eyes widen, she definitely wasn't expecting Tzuyu to agree so quickly. "I wasn't really being serious–"

Tzuyu whines and grabs Mina's hands. "Come on...please? I've always wanted to know what wearing pants is like."

And maybe it's Tzuyu's puppy eyes or the fact she's so close but Mina nods as if she's hypnotized. "Fine,"

The porcelain doll claps with a grin and jumps. "Yay!"

It's been a week since Mina met this beautiful lonely doll. And as time goes on, there are so many sides of Tzuyu she slowly lets go near the pirate figurine. It's oddly exciting and Mina looks forward to their chats all day, hoping to know more about her.

They turn away from each other and with a giggle Tzuyu gives her dress to Mina without looking at her. Mina quickly undresses and does the same.

"Ready?"

Mina feels ridiculous. How does Tzuyu pull this dress off so beautifully? "I guess..."

Tzuyu slowly turns around and softly gasps. "You look," she runs her fingers in Mina's hair and pulls it down her bare shoulders, "so beautiful..."

It's impossible, but Mina swears she's blushing. She chuckles, maybe to hide how flustered she is. "You look like you would have been my love rival if you were in the Waves of Co-Pirates. Then again, Silvertooth would probably become friends with you 'cuz of how cool you are."

"I love that." Tzuyu grins. "I might steal these pants though, they are VERY comfortable."

Mina laughs. "Okay, that's enough. Give me my clothes back."

"Awww, five more minutes," Tzuyu twirls around and jumps on her couch. These boots are incredible.

Mina smiles as she looks up at her fondly. "I heard you sing the other night." It's random but Mina has to mention it.

Tzuyu's smile fades away. "Oh," She climbs down the couch. "You did?" Tzuyu hates it that she's expecting Mina to laugh at her– to and tell her how terrible of a singer she is. She knows Mina would never do any of those things. She knows how kind and thoughtful her friend is– yet she's scared.

"Yes, your voice is incredible." As if Mina can sense her fears, she grabs her hand gently. "I want to hear it again."

That's how their nights full of singing and dancing begin. They both teach each other a lot and eventually Tzuyu learns how much Mina also loves singing. Her soft voice is a heaven-sent blessing to Tzuyu's ears.

Mina's so beautiful. Truly.

***

One day.

As soon as this one day passes, Momo will come to this store again. 

Waiting had been easier now that Mina was there. It was easier to get through the day. Easier to stand up straight for hours.

When the shop closes, Tzuyu basically throws her dress and crown away, smooths down her white chemise before grabbing Mina's hand, breaking her out of her perfect figurine pose. Mina giggles, holding onto her hat as they slide down the broom's handle. Tzuyu stumbles when they land but before she can fall, Mina grabs her.

"Oops, sorry." Tzuyu holds onto Mina's arms and grins, her eyes bright and happy. "Got too excited."

"You think?" Mina chuckles before her face turns concerned and she speaks, her tone heavy. "Considering you're made of porcelain, you should be a lot more careful."

Tzuyu looks away and her dimple deepens as she smiles. It's something Mina really admires about her, something only she can see. And well, maybe the other toys can see it too but there's no one but them in the store so...

"I just can't wait to see what the surprise is. You said you had one for me this morning but I couldn't speak to you at all during the day. And now I'm super curious."

"Right! That." Mina presses her lips together. "It's uh, this actually." Mina grabs something from her pocket and before Tzuyu can react, she leans in and wraps her arms around her neck. 

"Is this the surprise?" Tzuyu giggles into Mina's shoulder, slightly bending down because Mina's shorter. "Not what I imagined, if I'm honest. But I like it." Just as she's melting in Mina's embrace, the figurine pulls back.

Tzuyu's confused for a second, before she follows Mina's gaze and stares at her chest. She sees something that wasn't there before the hug. "A necklace?"

"Since you're leaving tomorrow, I want you to take it."

"Isn't this the precious silver necklace Silvertooth got from her boyfriend?"

Mina rolls her eyes. "You know it means nothing to me. That's just what happens in the show." 

Tzuyu smiles. "So you've told me."

"But I guess it does mean something now. I think..now it means I'm with you wherever you go." Mina pushes the tip of her hat down, hiding her eyes like she's embarrassed. "I've come to like you a great deal this past month. And even though a part of me is a little sad about you leaving...I'm happy for you. You waited a long time for this."

Tzuyu pulls her back in a hug and mumbles, her voice emotional. "I really, really wish you could come with me." 

"Me too." Mina sighs into her hair, as if she's been thinking the same thing but was too afraid to voice it out. She wants to offer Tzuyu to run away together but knows...knows how selfish it would be of her to put the beautiful doll in that position.

 So she says nothing.

But Tzuyu does say something when the sun rises, and they take their positions in their usual place. As they're about to freeze and seem lifeless to humans. "Hold my hand."

The old lady will come any second and Mina's confused. "The store's about to open–"

"I know. Just do it." Tzuyu smiles assuringly and Mina knows she doesn't have it in her to not do as she says. 

They start the day holding hands. The old lady doesn't notice, probably because she never looks their way. Always busy with cleaning the dust on the furnitures or watching TV from the tiny old screen.

It's a day like any other. But it shouldn't be. Momo's supposed to come today. She's supposed to buy Tzuyu like she promised a month ago, take her home and care for her.

Mina can sense how nervous Tzuyu is. And she's surprised when she finds herself hoping to see Momo walking in through the door. She doesn't want Tzuyu to leave but she doesn't want to see her hopes shattering either.

"Still plenty of time until 6pm." Mina can't help but say, careful not to give too much hope but enough to make her friend feel slightly better. The old lady is in the bathroom, so she turns to Tzuyu and gives her hand a gentle squeeze.

"Right." Tzuyu breathes. She looks as beautiful as ever. And in that moment, it hits Mina that she's never going to see her again. Or hear her sing... or watch her dance clumsily but oh, so very beautifully. She's never going to hold her hand like this again.

"Tzuyu–"

Sound of a door opening followed by a flush indicates the old shop owner is done with her business. Mina goes rigid as a stone as she returns to her figurine pose, her eyes lifeless. The start of her confession is left uncontinued.

Their hands are still entwined, so that helps a bit. Suddenly Mina has a lot more to say, but there is no time. She doesn't want to be left alone. She's sure that once Tzuyu leaves, she'd escape this place in a heartbeat. Run far, far away. 

Momo enters the store.

If Mina wasn't so focused on Tzuyu, she might not have noticed the quite gasp that escaped her.

"Ah, welcome child." The old woman smiles. "I was wondering if you'd really come."

"It's good to see you again, Mrs. Liu." Momo sounds as warm as Tzuyu remembers. "I brought you some cookies. Hope you like them!"

"Ah, thank you. You shouldn't have." 

"I made them myself. I just wanted to thank you again for this, I'm sure that foreigner offered a lot more than I did." Momo says with a hint of guilt, and hangs her head low like a scolded child.

The old lady scoffs and waves her hand like she's dismissing her words. "Oh, don't be ridiculous. Come, dear,"

When they both walk towards them, Mina wants to cry. Tzuyu's really going to leave.

Momo reaches for Tzuyu, grabbing her gently. There's a problem though. Tzuyu won't let go of Mina's hand.

"Oh, their hands are stuck." Momo mutters, trying to separate them.

Mina loosens her grip but Tzuyu holds on tighter than ever.

"How did that happen? Let me see." The store owner grabs both dolls from Momo and with all her strength tries to pry their hands away. "Oh, my."

It proves that Tzuyu's strength just isn't enough to beat a humans. The old woman sets them free from each other but it's too sudden that she loses her grip on one doll.

There's this awful sound of shuttering.

Tzuyu's broken.

"Oh no no no," Momo immediately kneels down, grabs Tzuyu and her pieces from the ground: her arm, a part of her torso, her cheek...

"I am so sorry, Momo. I wasn't–"

"I-It's fine. I just–"

Mina can't feel anything as she stares at Tzuyu's broken state. It's too much of a shock. And once she registers it in her mind, it hurts. God, it hurts so much. It's all because of her. She did this. Tzuyu was so excited for this day and now she's lying in Momo's hand, broken. She ruined this day for her. Mina never should have held her hand. She should have run away the first day she came here like she's always done her whole damn life–

The old lady smiles in a regretful way. "What about this one, dear? It's been kept really nicely, looks brand new. Prettier than that one too."

No, Mina can't do this. She can't take Tzuyu's place. She will never.

"It's alright–"

"You know what, I'll give this to you for free. It's the only way I'll feel better for ruining things for you." 

Momo forces a smile. "Thank you, but I'd still like to buy Tzuyu if I can."

And when she says that, Tzuyu feels this deep bond between them, her heart if she ever has one, fluttering. Momo is...everything she ever wanted. Someone caring and gentle. Someone who wouldn't cast her aside after an incident but instead holds onto her. She's the one Tzuyu's been waiting for all these years and it's worth every second even as she lies in this girl's hands, broken.

The old woman frowns. "But it's broken."

"I should be able to repair her. And I can't just leave her like this." Momo looks down in her hands and perhaps, if she had paid a bit more attention, she would have noticed the way Tzuyu's eyes were glistening.

"Alright. Half the price then."

"Thank you!" Momo adjusts her specs and stands up.

The store owner closes her eyes and shakes her head fondly, walking towards to the counter. She carefully slips Tzuyu and her pieces into a box. Just before she closes it, Mina finds herself being thrown inside.

Momo opens to protest. "I–"

"Uh-uh," The owner cuts her off, "Not a chance. It's an apology gift from me."

Momo bows quickly, thanking the old woman.

Mina hugs Tzuyu. Tighter than she's ever hugged anyone. It's heartbreaking, seeing Tzuyu in this state but she's still smiling. She's not sure if Tzuyu can feel any physical pain, but she leans in and presses a featherlight kiss to the dolls forehead, pulling her close. She wants to whisper and promise her everything will be alright, but she doesn't want to risk it.

Tzuyu can feel them moving. The bell; they're out of the store. More noise; they're now in the street.

"I guess you really are with me wherever I go." She clutches the silver necklace and smiles into Mina's chest, she feels light. Maybe it's because she's lost a few parts of herself. A small price to pay, she thinks. 

Mina softly chuckles at her bravery, but Tzuyu knows she's on the verge of crying.

With pieces of Tzuyu hitting their sides as the tiny box moves, Mina sighs. Tzuyu will be alright.

First thing Momo does when she gets home is to kiss her girlfriend, Nayeon. And after that she does tons of searching on google– asking the porcelain doll this and that as if she knows Tzuyu can speak. Tzuyu knows she's just playing around but it makes her extremely happy.

And what makes Tzuyu happy, makes Mina happy. It's a pity she's the only one seeing the way Tzuyu's eyes shine brighter than ever, so captivatingly beautiful but thats probably what makes it all so magical– special.

Momo does bring out her barbie dolls every now and then but they're just so... different. Mina can't exactly take them seriously. And they're a little annoying to be honest. But Tzuyu feels like she has a family around them. And maybe that's why Mina endures it when one of the barbie dolls braid her hair and the other forces a horrifying dress on her. 

When Tzuyu's fully repaired, Mina wants to hug and kiss Momo just to thank her for everything. There's not a single scratch visible on Tzuyu's face. Her colors are brighter now, her lips redder, her blush pinker and her hair a softer shade of blue.

She's as beautiful as always. Mina doesn't know how to tell her that without blurting out the fact she's in love with her.

"You're so pretty and I think I'm in love with you."

Oh, so she just says it like that. 

Tzuyu grins, dimple and everything Mina loves.

Their first kiss is magical.

No seriously, it is. When their lips part and Tzuyu tears her gaze from Mina's mesmerizing eyes, she notices something. Mina does too, by the look on her face.

"W-Why did everything get so small?" Tzuyu's grip on Mina's arms tighten as she looks around Momo's room in shock.

"I think we're the ones that got big, Tzuyu." Mina inhales sharply. "Oh god, ew! Are we...human?!"