giving it a try

Bread

A/N: Literally no idea why i wrote this and its so dumb lol but here goes


 

"Okay," Tzuyu grins. "You get the game ready, I'll go grab us some drinks."

Mina nods and pulls the laptop towards herself. This is great.

Even though she's only been able to convince her best friend to play the Sims, it's a start. And honestly she's happy with just this. She wants to spend more time with her favorite person and doing so while playing games is just a big bonus. And who knows? This can be the start of Tzuyu's gamer journey.

What? Mina can dream.

To be honest, Mina had no idea playing the Sims together with someone would be fun. She's not a big fan of the game in general, but somehow watching Tzuyu figure things out can be quite funny to watch. But there are times when it's incredibly frustrating, and Mina's quick to point things out then.

"Tzuyu? Hurry up, it's loading! I don't wanna start without you." 

"You can always pause it!"

"Yeah, but..." Mina pouts, still impatient. She wants Tzuyu on this couch, right next to her, paying attention to the laptop screen (or well...her). Now. 

"Sorry, Sprite was so far at the back. I basically had to move out everything in the fridge to get it." Tzuyu chuckles as she sits down next to Mina and hands her a glass.

Mina smiles and takes a sip of it as she waits for the screen to load. They already made their characters before. And they left it off right after they decorated their house. Since it was Tzuyu's first gameplay, Mina just typed in 'motherlode' a few times on the cheat console and got them way more cash than needed for the time being. Her best friend really liked to decorate. Tzuyu was way too into choosing the perfect color for everything and frankly it was a little irritating. But that's not a problem anymore. They're past that. 

This time it is the real playthrough. Everything's starting now.

Which is why after the loading screen, seeing the sim Mina and the sim Tzuyu making out on the bed is quite shocking.

Tzuyu hardly gulps down the drink, coughs a few times. Her cheeks are red. "What are they– How did they–"

Mina panicks and immediately moves the camera somewhere else, away from the image of their characters kissing. "I don't know! I swear I didn't leave them like this!" Mina's eyes are wide open, agape. And she feels the need to explain herself, so she does. "The last time we played they were just talking! I-I have no idea how they–"

Tzuyu's ears are red, just like Mina's cheeks. "You can do things like that in the game?" She sounds so amazed.

"Yeah uh, you can." Mina presses her lips together. Her cheeks are getting hotter. She forces a chuckle. "B-But I definitely didn't make them do it." 

This is too embarrassing. And of course it wasn't because they saw a couple kissing in some video game. It was them kissing. Or well, their characters. With the same names: Tzuyu for the blonde, Mina for the brunette. They did try to make the closest versions of themselves as possible, so...

So things got awkward. Real quick.

The game is paused– no more kissing sounds or weird humming. Mina clicks on the task (of her character kissing Tzuyu's) and cancels it, commanding her to walk into the kitchen to separate the two. She presses play and clears . "Okay. We can save the house and restart? 'Cuz they're probably love interests now. Or maybe there's a cheat code to reset relationships..."

It's when Tzuyu chooses to turn the laptop more towards her, grabbing the mouse gently from Mina's hands. Mina, although surprised by this, watches in silence, curious.

"Do you think... it's bad they were doing that?" Tzuyu asks her as she adds a few commands to her sim. Acting like she never heard Mina's offer to start over.

"What?"

"I..well–" Tzuyu takes a deep breath, her eyes glued to the screen. "You sound really against the idea of them being together–"

"What? No. No, I was just–"

Tzuyu looks up, and Mina finally notices how upset she is. Maybe it's the look in her eyes but Mina feels like what she says in this moment will affect their relationship in many ways. So she makes a smart choice and decides to take a leap, see where it goes.

"I think it'd be good for them actually." 

Oh, she really said it. There's no turning back now. 

Tzuyu's frown slowly disappears, and she gulps. "Really?"

"They live in the same house, they're best friends and they would...make a really cute couple."

Then there's that stare. Mina's seen it a few times before, occasionally. In moments she'd never forget. Like when Tzuyu got her first modeling job and they danced together goofily in the living room. Or when Mina finally brought Ray from Japan to their house and they just lazed around the whole day. Or even during simple times like when the movie they were watching made them cry, and they just laughed at each other's tears.

It's the same look Tzuyu gave her then.

"I think so too." She smiles softly.

"Okay," Mina has no idea why she's whispering, "we'll give them a try then." She also doesn't know why she's suddenly holding Tzuyu's hand.

Tzuyu hums in agreement. She looks like she's having trouble breathing. "Mina,"

Mina does nothing but stare into Tzuyu's eyes, rubbing her thumb across the back of her hand.

"Can we also... give us a try?" As she says this, Tzuyu looks so ready to cry. Her eyes drop down to their intertwined hands as she braces herself for an 'oh' that basically means:  'Tzuyu...I just don't see you like that'.

But that sigh never comes.

Instead, Mina places her other hand on top of Tzuyu's, as if to say she's going to stay a long time. "I would really like that." 

***

"I'm telling you! It worked!"

Chaeyoung paces in the room, giggling to herself while she's on the phone.

"Calm down, Ms. Matchmaker. What are they doing now?"

Chaeyoung squeals as quietly as she can and peeks behind the door. "They're cuddling, Jeong! God, I'm so proud of myself."

"Does this mean I owe you a date?"

Chaeyoung scoffs and smirks, lying down on her bed. She hugs her stuffed strawberry pillow to her chest. "Well, I got my housemates together. So yes. Yes, you do."

"Fine." Jeongyeon sighs. "But for the record, it only worked because those two are such dramatic nerds."

"Yeah, maybe." Chaeyoung chuckles– Jeongyeon's so cute when she can't admit defeat.