your heart can't lie

Bread

Tzuyu's fast on her motorcycle. "Come on, come on," Her watch continues to beep, signaling that she's nearing her destination as she speeds through traffic. When she nears the place, she jumps off her vehicle and lands on her black boots. She doesn't wait a second to draw her bow, arrow nocked and ready.

"A little late, are we?"

Tzuyu sighs and straightens up. Putting the arrow back in the quiver, she adjusts the mask on her face. Feeling more confident when she's sure it's there. "Hello to you too, kitty."

"Oh, don't look so disappointed," Tzuyu's rival superhero says, handing a robber to a policeman rather roughly. "Maybe if you try your very best next time, you'll be lucky enough to see me in action." The red and blue lights of the police vehicles around paint the cat-woman's black hair. At Tzuyu's sour face, the woman fakes a gasp. "Oh no, I haven't offended you...have I?"

Tzuyu walks back to her motorcycle without a word and hears her rival superhero giggling.

"It was nice seeing you, Kurotsume. Be careful around dogs on your way home," Tzuyu simply says in the most monotone voice ever, getting on her bike.

Kurotsume scoffs, Tzuyu can see her red lips forming a smirk. "Drive safely, Huntress." The cat superhero winks before she effortlessly shoots her claw up on a building and pulls herself up.

God, Tzuyu is so tired of her. These past few weeks Kurotsume was always, always a step ahead of her. And sure, it wasn't a competition but Tzuyu is just so... frustrated. Suddenly everyone seems so fond of this cat superhero. Kurotsume t-shirts, Kurotsume costumes for halloween, Kurotsume bags, Kurotsume pencils, Kurotsume hoodies, Kurotsume underwear–

Don't get Tzuyu wrong, she's definitely not jealous. No, this frustration is something else entirely. Surely it must be. So what if Tzuyu or well, Huntress, has been the one and only superhero protecting the city until a month ago, working her off while still trying to keep her grades at least average in high school? Yeah. So what if she prevented a villian's psychotic plan to put chemicals in the water that could mindwash the whole city? And what if she got detention afterwards for missing physics class? I mean, nothing like good ol' extra homework after saving a whole damn city!

No, Tzuyu's fine. Really. She's just a little tired. Tired, yes that's it. She's tired.

***

If Tzuyu had a chance to take back telling Dahyun her secret identity, she would.

Because her roommate, her dear best friend, her older adoptive sister Dahyun, somehow always finds a way to use it to her advantage. Like now, when it's 10pm and she's craving snacks.

"Come on, I don't wanna go out when it's this dark. It's scary as hell out there. What if I get kidnapped? You're a freakin' superhero, Tzuyu! Pleaseeee..."

So, Tzuyu finds herself in the convenience store. It's a short walk really, and next time she's sending Dahyun out for sure.

As she searches for Dahyun's favorite snacks, someone bumps into her.

"Oh, sorry."

Tzuyu blushes at the stranger's beauty. She can't help but blankly stare at her for a few seconds before she finally nods and smiles reassuringly. Maybe she should have dressed better... God, she definitely should have worn jeans and not the pair of checkered pants Dahyun bought her. She should have at the very least combed her hair or something instead of pulling it up into a messy bun...Crap, she's really turning into Dahyun, isn't she? What a nightmare.

Still looking at the racks, Tzuyu's tired eyes have a hard time focusing– now more so as the stranger still stands next to her, probably searching for a snack of her own.

Tzuyu blinks a few times. She sees Dahyun's favorite chocolate bar. "You gotta be kidding me," She grabs it from the rack and stares at it.

"Oh, Kurotsume?" The beautiful stranger next to her says as she glances at the chocolate bar, a hint of fondness and something else in her tone. "She's everywhere lately."

Tzuyu sighs and does her best not to throw the damn chocolate with Kurotsume's face on it. "Yes...she is," she says, trying to remain calm as she puts it back on the rack. She is NOT buying that thing. Dahyun can whine all she wants.

The girl makes a confused face at her cold voice. "Not a fan?"

"I-It's not that–" she wets her lips and turns to the pretty stranger. Oh, if only she could vent out her frustration without giving away her identity. "I'm just not much of a cat person, I guess."

"Ah," The girl smiles, her brows lifting slightly. "You're a Huntress person, then?"

Now that isn't something Tzuyu expected this stranger to say, but she's prepared anyway. "Nope, just...not a superhero person in general." And by saying the biggest lie she's ever told this past week, Tzuyu smiles.

"Ah, gotcha," The stranger smiles back. "To tell you the truth, I'm not really a superhero person either." Interesting. So these kind of people really existed, huh? Everyone just seems so into superheros these days. "I'm Mina. Just moved in the city."

Tzuyu feels intrigued, and she doesn't know why but she wants to know what this insanely pretty girl thinks about Huntress. "Tzuyu." Why is her stomach twisting? Maybe it's something she ate.

"Yeah, I know. From the library committee, right? I've seen you a couple of times while studying there."

"Yes," Tzuyu's smile brightens. They go to the same high school! And this pretty girl knows who she is! That is definitely a win. "We're in the same school then? Which class?"

"3-F."

"Oh you're a year older. I'm in 2-B."

Mina smiles just as her phone rings. She checks it and sighs. "I uh, I gotta go now." She slips her phone back in her jackets pocket, waves as she waddles away. "I'll see you at school!" And with that she leaves, leaving Tzuyu to choose another snack for Dahyun.

***

Tzuyu finds Mina in the library a few days later. She sees her nose buried in a book, eyebrows knit in deep concentration.

Her heart jumps slightly when she realizes she's been staring a little too long. Even though she really wants to go say 'hi', she can't find the courage to do it. So she gets back to work and continues organizing the books.

It's maybe a few minutes later, someone calls to her. "Excuse me? Do you know where I can–"

Tzuyu turns around and almost drops the countless books she's carrying.

"Tzuyu!" Mina exclaims, as if she's surprised to see her again. "Hi! How are you?"

"Mina. I'm good. Good. H-How are you?"

"Better now that I know you're still in the library committee. You weren't here the last few days so I thought you quit or something."

Tzuyu chuckles, her dimple making an appearance. "No, I'm here on wednesdays and fridays only actually. We also have book discussions on mondays but we don't do that in the library."

Mina smiles. "Great! That's good to know 'cuz I also signed up and I don't... really know anything or anyone yet...–"

Tzuyu lits up at where the conversation is going, and speaks a tad bit louder than she should at a library. "That's okay! I can help you, no big deal."

The smile Mina gives her is the brightest Tzuyu has ever seen. "You have no idea how relieved I am right now." She sighs, holding a hand on her heart. Her hair falls in front of her eyes.

Tzuyu's cheeks redden and for a moment she forgets what she's supposed to be doing. Mina's just so, so pretty.

Mina gestures at the huge pile of books in her hand. "Do you need any help with that?"

Tzuyu snaps out of her trance when Mina widens her eyes slightly and lifts her eyebrows, waiting for an answer. "Hmm?" She looks down at the books. "Oh, no. I can–" A few books on the top slide off her grip when she leans forward a little bit. "Or not."

They both crouch down, giggling as they grab the books. When they stand up, they're closer than before.

Mina's breath hitches. "Looks to me like you do need some help," she whispers, and Tzuyu feels lucky that she hasn't fainted yet. Mina's low, flirty voice is sweet as honey– and she wants to hear more. If she could she'd have it on repeat like her favorite song, listen again and again, memorize everything but never get tired of it.

"Maybe a little bit," Tzuyu replies.

A few seconds pass as the two of them just stand there.

"Hey...umm," Tzuyu looks down, presses her lips together before meeting Mina's eyes again. "Do you wanna.. hang out sometime?"

"I'd love that."

And it starts just like that. Tzuyu shows her around the library (the secret spots she knows that are perfect for escaping the crowd for a better read or study) and answers any questions Mina has about the committee or the school in general.

After many days together in the committee, they grow closer. Mina starts acting a lot more comfortable and Tzuyu doesn't stutter anymore. Although she still does get nervous at times.

Mina asks her out on a date first.

Actually Tzuyu doesn't know if it's a 'date' date or it's just... a date between friends. It's never clear. But nevertheless, Tzuyu loves spending time with Mina so she can't really complain.

They go on a lot of these 'dates' and each time, Tzuyu understands these growing feelings for the older girl a lot better. Months pass and Mina only gets prettier, kinder and more precious in Tzuyu's eyes.

***

"I'm going to ask you one last time. Where the hell did you plant the bomb?!"

Tzuyu's running out of patience. This man just ruined her peaceful sleep to kill a bunch of innocent people. And when she gets to the mall to stop him, she finds herself fighting every single henchmen this guy has. Every damn one. All by herself. And now that she's finally catched him, suffering a few cuts and bruises along the way, she learns there's a bomb in the mall?! Unbelievable. What's more unbelievable is that she does all this work and surprisingly when she wouldn't mind a little help from a certain cat superhero, she's nowhere to be found. Of course. Because the universe just hates Tzuyu like that.

"You're... not gonna kill me. It goes against your...your morals."

Tzuyu pushes the man harder against the wall, gritting her teeth. "No. But I'll gladly put you in a coma, you ." She s the man into the wall but not too hard. Just enough to prove her point. The voice changer device on deepens her voice, making her even scarier like she intends.

The man gasps. Breath knocked out of his lungs. "...G-Go ahead. Just because you're a 'superhero', you can't do as you please. Laws apply to you too," He grins this time, bringing his face closer to Tzuyu's. "Huntress."

Tzuyu's this close to ripping this man apart. But there's truth to what he's saying. And it's just SO frustrating– Tzuyu wants to scream at him like a child. But she has an image to uphold so she settles on knocking him out. It's oddly satisfying.

Someone claps from above. "Good job." Of course, it's Kurotsume in the shadows. "No really, good job knocking out the only person who knows where the bomb is. Very smart move." She giggles, landing right next to Tzuyu.

As soon as Kurotsume is up on her feet, her eyes rake up and down Tzuyu's frame, noticing the cuts on her suit. If Tzuyu didn't know any better she'd think this furry was concerned for her.

Tzuyu rolls her eyes and grabs her bow from the floor. " you."

"Maybe some other time, if you're lucky. Let's get people to safety first."

A lot of people spilled out of the mall when Tzuyu came crashing in and started beating the hell out of the bad guys. And Tzuyu distinctly remembers an announcement. She debates whether to tell Kurotsume that or just let her take a few tours around the mall just for fun.

But even though she's still mad at the other superhero for leaving her to do all the hard work, at this point she just wants to get this over with and go home.

"There was an announcement, I think everyone already evacuated." Tzuyu sighs, with all the adrenaline leaving her system she finally feels how deep the cuts are and how sore she is all over. She clutches her stomach where she's been kicked a few times and turns towards the exit. The place she's holding stings, and her palm is sticky. "I'm.. leaving. You deal with the police since you love the publicity–"

"Shh,"

Did she just– Oh, someone is definitely pushing her limits today. Yes, Tzuyu might feel like a truck has run over her but if this furry wants a fight she'll get one.

"Listen." Kurotsume puts a finger on her own lips and narrows her eyes as she looks around, listening intently. "What's that...sound?"

Tzuyu doesn't move then. She focuses on her surroundings and catches this faint beeping. Her eyes widen at the same time Kurotsume's does. Just as Tzuyu turns back to look at the unconscious guy lying on the ground just a few feet away from her, the beeping gets louder.

"LOOK OUT!"

Tzuyu's ears are ringing. When she opens her eyes again, she's hanging from the ceiling. She has her arms around Kurotsume as the cat superhero keeps her grip tight around her claw, keeping them both up and safe from the explosion below.

If Tzuyu wasn't so disgusted by the bloody mess underneath them, she would have been impressed by how strong Kurotsume was to carry them both.

"Don't look down." Kurotsume whispers, her voice smooth but breathy.

"You saved me." Tzuyu tries her best to stare only at Kurotsume, the sight downwards is something she can't handle. "Thank you."

Even though her yellow eyes and red lips are the only things Tzuyu can see of Kurotsume's, she's quick to notice the fond look the cat superhero is giving her. "No smart comments this time?"

"About you saving my ? No."

Her rival superhero chuckles and Tzuyu sort of...knows this laugh from somewhere.. She shrugs the feeling off. "No, just... thank you."

Before Kurotsume can say anything back, the building shakes. The cat superhero swings them back and forth before throwing them out the window, eager to get out before the whole building collapses on their heads.

She tightens her hold around Tzuyu's waist as she lands perfectly on the pavement despite the terrifying height, much like a cat. Tzuyu barely pushes down the scream that's bubbling up in and is grateful when Kurotsume gently puts her down.

Tzuyu's legs are wobbly when she's on her own feet. Everything spins and she falls sideways.

"Careful," Kurotsume catches her for the second time that day, and Tzuyu decides it's okay to let the other carry her a little longer.

"I'm...fine," and the words fall out of her lips in a very practiced way– maybe it's all the times she's told Dahyun the exact same thing when asked about her bruises that seemed to never heal.

"You're clearly not." The cat superhero basically hisses in her ear, and it's so fitting that Tzuyu wants to laugh. "My place isn't far. I can patch you up there."

Whatever urge Tzuyu has to laugh is gone instantly, replaced by the worry of her identity being revealed. "No need. I have a...friend studying medicine. I'll find her–"

"I know you got this lone wolf thing going on but we're partners. You don't have to take off your mask when we get there, it's fine. I don't have to know your identity to help you."

Tzuyu grits her teeth. "First of all," She tries to stand on her own and succeeds, pushing Kurotsume's hands away from her with a glare when she tries to help. "We're not...partners."

"I just saved your life."

"And I'm grateful to you for that. A lot. But being a partner means doing things together. And I only recall you either gloating for doing a simple job or not showing up at all when you're actually needed." Tzuyu clutches her stomach tightly when it suddenly aches, and she takes a step back to balance herself. "I gave you many chances these past few months but you just kept on being a jerk. So I'm sorry if my trust in you isn't as much as you expected."

The cat superhero's blank gaze slides down to her stomach and she sees the blood coating Tzuyu's fingers. "Sorry we can't all be saints like you, Huntress. But you know what? Fine. Suit yourself." Her voice is firm as she turns her back and in that moment, Tzuyu sort of regrets being so harsh on her.

"I never said I was a saint."

Kurotsume ignores her and disappears just like that, in the blink of an eye. Tzuyu sighs when she's finally alone and although the police sirens aren't very comforting, she can finally stop acting tough. Because dammit, it hurts A LOT. She presses a button on her wristband and calls her vehicle. Her sight is a bit blurry as she hears her motorbike's engine nearby. With the last bit of her strength she pulls from her sore muscles, she throws herself on the bike and–

***

"You awake?"

The first thing Tzuyu does when she notices she's lying down in a room she doesn't recognize is to check if her mask is still on her face. She gulps once she realizes it's still there, but doesn't fully relax under Kurotsume's unwavering gaze.

"Why am I here?" Groaning, she pulls herself up on the bed and leans against the headboard. The blankets on her fall and reveal her half- torso, her waist wrapped in bandages. She pulls the blankets up, her eyes wide as she looks at Kurotsume for an explanation.

"You lost too much blood because of your stab wound and passed out. I was talking to the police when I heard something wrong with your heart rhythm and...well..." Kurotsume gestures around, still in her superhero costume: her tight black leather jumpsuit and mask around her yellow eyes.

Tzuyu's heard things about the heart rhythm thing. Mostly from her one and only superhero ally in the next city, Son Chaeyoung (who was also an old friend from the orphanage before she got adopted). Apparently every human had a different heart rhythm than the other, and it was possible to focus on a specific heartbeat to locate the owner of the said heart. Which was why it was convenient to memorize the heartbeats of loved ones. Chaeyoung had shyly admitted to memorizing Tzuyu's heartbeat when she was questioned how she knew exactly where Tzuyu was in moments of danger.

"Wait...I was stabbed?" Tzuyu asks, horrified.

Kurotsume blinks. "Damn, you didn't even notice? That's some scary commitment, Huntress."

Tzuyu groans in pain when she tries to sit up straighter, lifting the blanket to stare at the bandages around her torso.

"I only tended to your wounds. Nothing else. You don't have to worry." Kurotsume sits at the edge of the bed as Tzuyu clutches the sheets with a frown. "Just tell me when you wanna leave and I'll take you to the city."

Wait. They're not in the city?

"...where are we?"

"My cave. Secret center of my lovely operations. Which is why I'll need to blindfold you for a while once we go out."

Tzuyu looks around the 'cave'. Nothing about it says superhero base. Not the cheap laptop on the desk, not the empty pizza box or the broken lamp on the floor. When she observes a bit more, she notices the comic books on the worn-out couch.

It's her. The Huntress comics that came out a year ago. Tzuyu had no idea those still existed.

She knows she was a big deal when she first came out as a superhero, 'Huntress' on everyone's lips. But after an incident that almost outed her identity, she started escaping from the cameras more and more, eventually becoming a silent protector of the city. Working from behind the curtains.

So when Kurotsume came out, and she was everything Tzuyu wasn't– the city went wild. Kurotsume loved the attention she got from the citizens, took selfies with people and actually talked with them. While the Huntress ran away as soon as the job was finished, Kurotsume stayed.

And listen, Tzuyu doesn't just run away because she wants to– she's tried to talk before. She really did. But it's so awkward for her. She feels like a total clown when she talks with the citizens. She doesn't know the right words to impress and so she prefers to go with playing the quiet and mysterious hero.

"I... bought those when I first came to town. I wanted to know more about you." Kurotsume chuckles and meets Tzuyu's eyes. "Imagine my disappointment when I learned it was not truly based on your story. Just fiction. Tell me," she leans in, and Tzuyu holds her breath when she smirks. "Why turn down all the interviews? People are dying to know more about you..."

Tzuyu doesn't smile. "I don't like talking with people." The voice changer device on is making her itch.

"I must be an exception then." Kurotsume's voice is low and dangerous as she pulls back. Tzuyu thinks it must be nice to not have a device messing with her chords and leaving sore afterwards.

"Maybe. What about you? Do you memorize every heartbeat of the people you meet?" There's nothing but smugness in Tzuyu's voice.

"No," Now with her smile gone and red lips pursed, the cat superhero looks away. Tzuyu can tell she's embarrassed at being caught.

"Guess I'm an exception for you too then." She says, a triumphant smile finally settling on her lips.

"It seems you are." There's something different about Kurotsume's voice this time. Something so frustratingly familiar. "Let me know when you're ready to move."

"Ro," Tzuyu's cheeks redden as she uses the nickname she just made up. "Thank you. Again."

And as if they never fought in the first place, Kurotsume grins, her red lips revealing her white teeth. "You're welcome, Hun."

"Uh, no. You're not calling me that."

"But it's short for Huntress. And I have to give you a nickname because you gave me one. That's just how it works."

"Then forget I ever gave you a nickname. Problem solved."

"Now you're just being mean."

***

Dahyun is not happy when Tzuyu returns the day after.

"Tzuyu, what the hell?" Despite her harsh tone, Dahyun's hug is warm. "I saw...I saw the explosion," Tzuyu tightens her arms around her sister once Dahyun starts sobbing. "I thought...I wasn't sure if–"

"I'm sorry..." Tzuyu places a kiss to the side of Dahyun's forehead. "My phone died a-and I couldn't text you. I'm so sorry."

Dahyun stays quiet for a moment before she pulls back, her hands gripping Tzuyu's shoulders. She quickly wipes her tears and sniffs, her stern gaze scares Tzuyu a little. "Well, are you okay? Were you hurt? Is that why you didn't come home right away?"

"Yes and no?" Dahyun glares at her and just as she opens to speak Tzuyu cuts her off. "I swear, my first thought was to come home so you could fix me up like you always do but I sort of uh...fainted because I was stabbed and lost a lot of blood?"

Her sister's jaw hits the floor– almost. "What?"

"Kurotsume found me and took me to her....'cave'. Before I knew it, I was already patched up and lying down in her bed half-."

Dahyun goes from worried to shocked. "Damn...too much information–"

"Not like that!" Tzuyu groans and looks up as she covers her face. "Oh god, why did you put that image in my head?!"

"Wha–" Dahyun scoffs. "You did it first!" She hits Tzuyu square in the shoulder. "Besides, the between you two is off charts so you can't blame me for thinking–"

"Wha– Ridiculous." Tzuyu lets out a loud huff and chuckles. Dahyun can see the way her ears turn red. "Ri-di-cu-lous. S-? Ha. With that furry." She shakes her head. "Nope. Impossible. Besides, you know I like Mina. Not...not Kurotsume."

"I know how whipped you are for Mina but–"

"I'm not whipped."

"–the thing between you and Kurotsume... Well half the city sees it, sis. You literally have a whole fandom dedicated to you on twitter."

Tzuyu frowns. "And you know this because..."

When her sister's eyes widen and she looks away, Tzuyu knows she has to press just a tiny bit more to get an answer. "Dahyun..."

"I... might have seen Nayeon's account. She's...a shipper."

"...and that's reason #67 on why I will never tell Nayeon my alter ego. Anyway," Tzuyu utters a grunt of exhaustion as she turns around and throws herself on the couch, her muscles still aching even after a day of rest. Not having real superpowers at times like this. "I think I need to lie down...a little more."

Dahyun's face immediately turns into a worried one and she goes full protective sister mode. Again. "Are you sure you're okay? You've never been... stabbed before. Maybe we should go to the hospital. Or...or I can change your bandages, get painkillers–"

"I'm fine. Just need more sleep." Tzuyu smiles softly up at her when her sister crouches down beside her. "Don't worry."

"I will worry. Always." Dahyun leans in and places a kiss on her forehead. It's the same magical kiss that used to chase away Tzuyu's nightmares when she was still a child. Tzuyu sighs. "I'll have dinner ready when you're awake. I'll call you in sick to school so you can rest today."

"Thanks." Tzuyu mutters as Dahyun gets up to leave.

"Oh and I'll repair your suit armor tonight, don't worry about that– it didn't seem that damaged. Nothing I can't fix anyway." Dahyun throws a look at her weapons. "I'll take your gadgets to Momo later and get them checked up. They look a little rattled. And I know Jihyo's still studying medicine but she knows her stuff so I'm gonna ask her to check up you tomorrow."

"Okay."

"To be honest I'd feel better hearing what she has to say about your wound. Your bandages will need changing anyway."

Tzuyu smiles, her eyes closed. "What would I do without you?"

"You'd literally die." Dahyun deadpans.

"Love you."

"Love you too, dummy. Now sleep."

***

When Tzuyu wakes up, its because of a notification sound indicating she has a message. Dahyun must have put her phone to charge while she was asleep.

Tzuyu blinks in the dark and narrows her eyes at the bright light coming from her phone. She groggily picks it up and checks who's texting her at...7:03 pm.

It's Mina.


  [Hey, is everything all right? Your friends told me you didn't show up at school today :( ]

The sincere concern brings a smile to her face. She quickly types a reply.


  [I'm okay. :) Just a little sick.]

The response is just as quick. Tzuyu's heart skips a beat.


  [Aw, get well soon. Does this mean our movie date is cancelled? T^T ]

Tzuyu's eyes widen. She totally forgot about that. Not that she'd tell Mina that. But honestly, she's not sure if she can even get up from the couch right now. So she asks if they can reschedule.

Mina sends her a thumbs up and asks when.

[Tomorrow?] Tzuyu asks.

Mina sends her a heart. The simple emoji warms up Tzuyu's heart and she sets her phone aside, closing her eyes. She falls asleep with a smile on her face, her mind occupied by a certain beautiful brunette.

When she goes to school the next day, she's surprised to see Mina in front of her classroom, looking anxious at the stares her underclassmen are giving her.

"Mina?"

Mina sighs in relief as soon as their gaze meets. As if she's suddenly forgotten about the prying eyes of the other students, Mina pulls Tzuyu in a warm hug. "Tzuyu."

Tzuyu softly smiles, her stomach flipping upside down as she caresses Mina's hair. Mina seems to find comfort in the act, letting out a small sigh.

"Couldn't wait until after school to get your daily hugs?" Tzuyu can't help but tease as they sway slowly, still holding each other.

The cutest giggle escapes her lips and Mina lifts her head, taking Tzuyu by surprise. They're so close. And Mina's so beautiful. "Nope. I need 'em now."

Her smile is blinding and because they're so close (a fact Tzuyu repeats inside her head a billion times because for the first time, Mina holds her gaze more than two seconds. Tzuyu doesn't know why that gets her excited), Tzuyu can see how her eyes are shining, the brown in her eyes warm and soft.

She smiles back. Looking down into the older girl's eyes. "Well Ms. Myoui, I'm afraid our session must come to an end because classes are about to start."

Mina rests her head on her shoulder again, squeezing tighter. "No." Judging by her voice, Tzuyu just knows she's pouting. "Not until the bell rin–"

The bell rings.

Tzuyu laughs.

Mina pulls back from the hug and glares up at the speakers. Tzuyu pushes her shoulder playfully. "Come on, you'll be late. Go."

"Fine." Mina changes her stance all of a sudden and curtsies. "Thank you for your service," she says, right there in the middle of the hall. Tzuyu rolls her eyes fondly and watches as Mina sends her a goofy grin before spinning and jumping away like the ballerina she is.

"Show-off," Tzuyu scoffs, the corner of her lips twitching into a smile.

***

"So that was a total disaster."

"Was it? I think it was kinda fun. I don't know. I'm not much of a critic."

Mina links their arms. "Well, there were a lot of inaccuracies. It almost seemed like they made up a few physics laws on their own just to look smart." Tzuyu laughs but Mina looks dead serious. "And then there were plot holes. So. Many. Plot holes. Like how come after what happens when that guy, what was his name–"

Tzuyu patiently listens to everything Mina has to say about the movie, nodding even though she lost her halfway. At least when they were talking Tzuyu had an excuse to stare and admire the older girl's beautiful features.

"Tzuyu?"

"Hmm?"

"I like this." Mina lets go of her arm and just when the warmth is about to disappear from Tzuyu's chest, Mina holds her hand tenderly.

She smiles, tightening Mina's loose grip by squeezing her hand, reassuring she feels the same. "Me too."

Mina stops walking and a breeze makes them both shiver– causing Mina to hide half her face in her scarf. Tzuyu finds it adorable.

"I want to do it again. Can we do this again?" Tzuyu asks, not even realizing she said it out loud until Mina looks up at her.

"I was hoping we would." Mina grins.

Tzuyu sighs out her relief. "Good. Good. Nice."

They share a knowing look– eyes locked as if they're challenging the other to speak first, their joined hands swinging back and forth between them.


  Now. Come on. Say it....now. Tell her.

Somehow Tzuyu can't even open . Not when the first snow of the season falls around them, Mina's cute beanie failing to prevent the snowflakes from landing in her eyes and hair. Tzuyu doesn't know if it was the white all around them but Mina's eyes are shining, the brown in them warm and daring.


  Say it. You have to tell her–

They both jump out of their trance when Mina's phone buzzes with a text message.

"I... need to go," she says after checking the message, meeting Tzuyu's eyes.

"Yeah, it's getting really cold out so...me too." Tzuyu laughs, her dimples sticking out.

Mina just has to smile again, her eyes locked on the taller girl's dimple for a few seconds before she tears her gaze away and breaths deeply.

"I'll see you later?" Mina tugs on their  hands.

Tzuyu nods, her jaw clenching at the freezing cold. "Yup," She grins, tips of her ears turning red.

Perhaps a little hesitantly, Mina moves closer. Tzuyu doesn't, just watches her get closer and closer until there are arms around her waist, a nose buried in her shoulder. The hug is tender, soft and everything Tzuyu loves about Mina.

Placing one hand gently behind Mina's head and the other around her shoulders, Tzuyu leans her cheek against Mina's head.

There are no words exchanged. A few moments pass and Mina tightens her arms around her. This almost causes Tzuyu to cry out in pain, thanks to her injuries from before. She forces it back and holds her breath, slowly pulling away. Her attempts to cover up her pain must have been horrible because Mina frowns at her, worried and confused.

"What's wrong?"

"I– uh... Nothing. Your coat's belt was digging into my stomach..." Tzuyu can feel her heart jumping in her chest as she lies.

Mina looks into her eyes as if she's searching the truth. Tzuyu holds her breath again, begging her heart to calm down.

At that moment, something in Mina's eyes change and for a second, a storm of emotions pass on her face.

"Mina?" Tzuyu calls her name softly.

Mina blinks, and opens . Closes it and opens it again before finally giving her a fake smile. "I...I need to go. I'll see you tomorrow Tzuyu."

"Oh, um– okay. Bye."

Mina smiles again– although a little better than the last one, it's still a very forced smile. Tzuyu hates it.

Mina walks away from her and Tzuyu just watches her, hoping she'll turn around at least once and maybe, explain what the hell just happened.

***

"She's avoiding you."

"Oh really, Yeri? What gave it away? Was it how she ran at the opposite direction the second she saw me or..." Tzuyu snaps.

Yeri chuckles before sipping on her milkshake. "Damn, girl. Chill. I'm just saying."

Tzuyu sits down with her lunch. The cafeteria is loud with students voices and laughter. The floors aren't clean, sticky with whatever is being served today.

"I just don't get it. I was so sure she felt the same way. And even if she didn't, I–" Tzuyu sighs, defeated. "I thought we were friends."

Yeri opens to speak. "Listen. You should just–"

Tzuyu cuts her off, aggressively opening her bread's package. "Yeah, yeah– I know. You're gonna tell me to give her space and let her 'figure out her feelings' in her time and stuff. And I can understand that but is it fair to me when all she does is push me away without any explanation? But I know– of course I know she deserves all the time and space she needs. I'm just really confused and I really–"

"Okay, stop! I wasn't gonna say any of that crap. Can you like, breathe for a sec?" Yeri leans in and takes in Tzuyu's flustered state, taking deep breaths. "Okay good. Now, as I was saying before you rudely interrupted me: Corner her."

"Corner her?" Tzuyu frowns. "What kind of messed up have you been watching lately, Yeri?"

Yeri's face lights up for a second as if she's been waiting for Tzuyu to ask her this. "Documentaries about murderers on Netflix, each story gives me the chills." Her smile falls, an angry scowl replacing it. "It's heartbreaking, actually. I really hate humans even more after watching it. You really gotta step up your game so these sorts of things don't happen anymore. Ya' hear me?"

Tzuyu wears a sad frown and sighs. "I'm trying. It's hard to know what's going on in the entire city when I don't have a technical team behind me."

Yeri scoffs in a teasing manner. "Huntress working with a team? Would love to see that."

"Keep your voice down." Tzuyu rolls her eyes.

"Anyway, what I mean to say is you two have to talk about it. It all happened after that movie date right?"

"Yeah. Do you think I did something that made her uncomfortable? I was a bit bold that night."

Yeri gives her the look. "You told me you only held hands. And hugged. And it was all Mina that initiated it. How is that you being bold?"

"I don't know...I ran my hand through her hair?" Tzuyu looks down, embarrassed.

"Okay...alright," Yeri pinches the bridge of her nose, frustrated. "Listen, you idiot. Go and talk to her. Just...ask her what changed."

***

"Tzuyu, wait!" Dahyun follows her as Tzuyu gears up. "Your injuries haven't healed yet. You're in no condition to go!"

"I can't just sit back and watch TV like nothing's happening when Kurotsume is out there getting pummeled by a maniac robot."

Dahyun sighs, on the verge of tears. "She's not alone! The police are on their way– they can help. You don't have to go."

"The police were on their way last time too. Look what good it did to me!" Tzuyu yells and when she sees how upset Dahyun is, her face softens and she takes her hands in hers. "Listen, if Kurotsume wasn't there when I lost my consciousness...I would have been exposed. My identity would've been the headlines of every newspaper, my life would have been over."

Dahyun's crying now, still clearly very scared. Tzuyu hugs her. "I owe her this, Dahyun. But you don't have to worry, I'll call Chaeyoung if things get out of hand. That guy won't stand a chance against three superheros plus the police force."

"Promise me you won't do anything stupid?"

"I promise."

Dahyun pulls back and wipes her tears. "Okay. Okay and um... If you do call Chaeyoung, tell her to come visit. I miss that fast midget."

"Midget?" Tzuyu smirks playfully. "You two are literally the same height."

Dahyun glares at her. "Stop poking fun at me and go save your girlfriend."

"Right!" Tzuyu jumps off the window like it's the most normal thing in the universe and gets on her motorcycle. "Not my girlfriend though!" She yells as she drives away and despite the uneasiness in her chest, Dahyun smiles at the denial.

Whenever Dahyun mentions how in love Kurotsume and her look, Tzuyu feels guilty. She likes Mina, she's so sure she does. And they're not even going out but when Kurotsume and Huntress' chemistry is mentioned, Tzuyu feels like she's cheating on Mina. Which is ridiculous. She knows, but it's the way she feels and she can't help it. So she's been a tiny bit distant from Kurotsume this week.

Not that the cat superhero seemed to mind. Usually Kurotsume is very flirty around Huntress; suggestive lines, low seductive voice, unnecessary touching...

But...none of that this week. None. Both of them have been acting like boring strict business partners lately, relying on teamwork much to Tzuyu's surprise but other than that, nothing bordering on friendly. Their small talks were non-existent now.

Tzuyu can't lie, she did miss their old bantering a little bit.

When Tzuyu– Huntress gets to the scene of the fight, she sees an exhausted Kurotsume trying to avoid the knifes being thrown at her by the evil robot. The police are taking cover behind the cars, shooting at it, but from the bullets on the ground and zero damage on the robot, it's bulletproof.

"How many freaking knives do you have, you sicko?!" Kurotsume yells as she jumps around, doing flips like they're child's play. She must be really good at dancing, Tzuyu thinks.

Tzuyu's not noticed yet by the slightly huge robot, so she decides to sneak around and hit him with the beam canon she's been working on for a year now. She might not have superpowers, but Tzuyu likes to think she makes it up with her brilliant mind.

When she's right behind the robot, she crouches down and steadies the weapon. Just as she's about to pull the trigger though, some ruins everything.

"Huntress! Huntress is here!" One of the officers yells in glee.

Tzuyu swallows, panicking as the robot turns to her. "Well, ."

There's a shout, possibly coming from Kurotsume as Tzuyu dives out of the laser beam the robot sends her way. Her stab wound hurts like hell when she lands on the pavement a bit ungracefully.

"Do you have a death wish?!" Kurotsume, who's lost one of her fake cat ears to the laser appears next to her like she just teleported. "You should be resting, you damn workaholic!"

Huntress stands and her eyes widen. She pushes Kurotsume with every bit of strength she has and jumps the opposite way. A few knives fly past where they were standing before.

"You can scold me later! I'll get the cannon, you distract him!" Huntress yells as she draws her bow and sends a few arrows at the robot to keep it occupied.

The cat superhero nods, crawling towards the robot. She stands, readies her claw to use it in time to get away. "You're not the only one who has knives," There's a pause, as if the robot is locking on Kurotsume. Alert as ever, she flings a few small knives at the robot. They jump off the metal, doing no damage as predicted. But she has its attention.

Meanwhile Tzuyu does her best to grab the weapon that flew back. Throwing her bow on the ground, she grabs the large cannon and gets behind the cat superhero, the distance between them quite a lot. Tzuyu hopes she's not out of range. She searches for an opening.

Suddenly, the robot starts to run full speed towards Kurotsume. Its eyes glow a dark red, and needles break out of its skin like a second armor. If it slams into Kurotsume, it's game over.

And just when that is about to happen, Kurotsume does a backflip, and shoots her claw up on a roof. As she's lifted off the ground, the robot looks up and that's when Tzuyu pulls the trigger.

The huge beam that fires almost sends Tzuyu back but she keeps holding onto the cannon with a sturdy grip.

The beam hits the robot and it staggers back and falls, its circuits probably burned beyond repair; judging by the glaring black hole in its torso.

They won.

And Tzuyu's just so happy the weapon worked. Don't tell anyone but she hadn't tested it before so she had been a little nervous about using it.

The officers cheer and highfive each other as Kurotsume walks towards Tzuyu elegantly despite her ruined superhero suit.

"Ro!" Huntress grins at her partner as she puts her bow behind her back and holds the cannon like her baby. "Can you believe that it worked? You have no idea how long I've been working on this cannon–"

"Huntress," Kurotsume says, not a single hint of joy in her tone. She's nervous and it's easy to tell. "We need to talk. Alone."

Tzuyu frowns. "Okay... I'll go get my motorcycle."

"No need. Just," Kurotsume holds her arms out and wow, her yellow eyes are exceptionally beautiful tonight. Tzuyu wonders why. "Come here."

Tzuyu stands there like an idiot for a few seconds before Kurotsume moves closer and hugs her. And the next thing she knows they're off the ground and on a roof.

Kurotsume pulls back only a little, still holding her waist. Tzuyu can see in her eyes that she's in a quandary.

"Ro?" Huntress whispers and they're so close her breath caresses the other's cheeks. The cat superhero presses her red lips together for a second, moves Tzuyu's hair behind her shoulders before her hand reaches and gently holds the taller girl's nape. The cannon is between their bodies, still in Tzuyu's hands, preventing them from getting closer.

The superhero leans in anyway. Tzuyu's thundering heart makes it hard for her to function properly. Just when Kurotsume's red lips are about to touch hers, Mina's face flashes before her eyes and Tzuyu moves away. Guilt consumes her. This isn't fair to either of these girls.

She distances herself from Kurotsume. "I...I can't."

"Why not?"

When Huntress doesn't answer, Kurotsume speaks. "I'm sorry. I didn't get us up here for...uh, for that. I just had to tell you I–" She takes a deep breath. "I know about your real identity."

In complete surprise and rage, Tzuyu turns back to her, the cannon slipping from her grip. "You went behind my back?"

"No– No! It wasn't like that. I found out by accident–"

"Don't lie to me! How can you just accidentally find out someone's real identity?" Tzuyu yells, the voice changer device on making her voice deep and frightening.

"Your heartbeat!" Kurotsume yells back. "I found out because of your heartbeat."

Tzuyu listens, trying to think of scenarios how that would make sense.

"I was hugging someone. A friend I hold very dear. I...wanted to listen to her heartbeat to know if she was lying and decided to memorize its pattern too. And so I did. But her hearbeat...it was so familiar. I had memorized this pattern before. Yours."

Tzuyu tries to think back to all the people she's hugged. Kurotsume's face strangely comes close to matching the one person who's been avoiding her all week.

Seeing the realization on Tzuyu's face, Kurotsume tears up. "I-I wanted to tell you whole week. But I didn't know how– You liked Mina, but jury was still out for Kurotsume. I didn't want to lose you. I just– I can't lose you."

Tzuyu presses a button on the voice changer device, turning it off. "So you weren't avoiding me because you hated me?" Tzuyu asks, her voice breaking.

"Of course not!" Kurotsume– no, Mina moves closer, gently taking her hands. "Tzuyu," she whispers her name.

Before she can say what else is on her mind, Tzuyu surges forward and kisses her. Mina grabs her waist, caressing it as she tilts her head to deepen the kiss. Tzuyu's heart speeds up rapidly and Mina smiles against her lips after hearing it. Cupping Mina's jaw, Tzuyu's thumbs brush her cheeks in the most tender way possible.

Mina feels giddy at the love she can feel from the kiss, her tears dry up. And now, all Mina wants to do is to kiss Tzuyu, kiss her until she also feels and knows this great affection Mina has for her.

Tzuyu pulls back after giving her one last peck. Mina chases her lips but Tzuyu speaks, "There could be cameras."

"Then let's go somewhere private."

***

"When you fought with that robot four months ago, you used a different weapon called 'beam cannon'. The beam cannon was brilliant, its abilities were so enhanced to the point where it became a completely different weapon. Is it possible you are the one that made the modifications, Huntress?"

Tzuyu freezes. Maybe it was too soon for her to talk with the media after so long. "Uhhhhhh I–yes, I improved a prototype that–"

"Are you going to by any chance, sell it to the police force?" One reporter asks as a photographer takes a hundred shots of her.

"I–"

"Which will you say was the most powerful villian you've faced this year?"

"How old are you?"

"Huntress! Are you a high school student? College? Do you have a job outside of being a superhero?"

"Will you be giving interviews more often now? And what was the reason behind you refusing to meet the cameras? And why hold a press conference now?"

Oh, yes. Tzuyu is definitely gonna avoid the reporters next time. Mina had convinced her to try this out but nope, there's no way she's living through this a second time.

"Whoa, y'all. One at a time." Kurotsume suddenly lands next to Huntress. The flashes go wild at the sight of the two superheroes together.

"Ro," Huntress says softly.

"Hi, Hun."

Huntress crosses her arms. "I told you not to call me that."

"Please. Just admit you like it already. Your heart goes crazy when I call you like that."

"No! It does. not." Huntress tightens her grip on her bow, glancing at the reporters from the corner of her eyes. "It beats normally. Like a... normal person. It beats like it always does."

Kurotsume chuckles. "If you say so. But unlike you, your heart can't lie."

A few reporters call their names. They turn towards them, Huntress still flustered.

"There are fans that are in awe of you twos friendship/partnership that has gotten much stronger lately. It's incredible to witness two powerful women supporting each other. Our city is proud to have you both. Care to comment how–"

For once, Huntress was actually enjoying a question until some other reporter cut in quite rudely and ruined it all with the most scary question in the world:

"I have to ask for the sake of the fans: are you dating?"

Huntress' eyes widen and she snorts as if the thought of the two of them dating is hilarious. "No. Why would we even– Me and her? No we're not...dating."

"Yet." Kurotsume mumbles with a small smile. Even though it seems a bit forced to Huntress, no one else is observant enough.

Laughter erupts from the crowd as Huntress hits Kurotsume's shoulder.

***

Later that day, at their new center of operations (Kurotsume's "cave"), Tzuyu takes a deep breath and throws herself on the bed with a groan. "I still have an essay to write..."

"That's fine, I can help you." Mina puts down the claw and a few hidden weapons she had on her on the table, slowly lying down next to Tzuyu. "Tzuyu?"

"Hmm?"

Mina gulps. Her eyes glued to Tzuyu's closed eyes, knowing they will probanly flutter open when she says what's on her mind. "Just to be clear....we are dating right?"

Tzuyu does open her eyes. She opens her eyes and they're full of worry and guilt. "Is this because of what happened with the reporters?"

Mina looks away, shrugs.

"Oh, Mina." Warmth spreads all over Mina when Tzuyu gets closer, throwing an arm around her waist and snuggling to her chest. "I love you. God, I love you so much you have no idea."

Tzuyu thinks the red on her girlfriend's cheeks is a happy sign when Mina smiles and pulls her closer by wrapping her arm around her shoulders. It's so warm and so comfortable that it would be easy to just fall asleep– but Tzuyu's determined to explain her side.

"But we can't date as Huntress and Kurotsume. Giving more information about our superhero disguises can have dire consequences. I learned that the hard way."

Mina sighs, running her hand through the younger girl's brown locks.

"I know it ." Tzuyu places a tender kiss on Mina's neck. "But everyone we love knows we're dating as our real selves– Mina and Tzuyu. And I think that matters the most."

"I guess."

There's a pause. Tzuyu listens to Mina's heartbeat, wishing she had the superpowers to hear it whenever she wanted just like Mina did. She pulls herself up and stares into her beautiful girlfriend's loving yellow eyes. Wanting to see her whole face, she gently grabs Mina's mask and takes it off.

A few seconds after the mask is off, Mina's eyes never leaves hers as they slowly turn into a dark brown color. Tzuyu doesn't know why that turns her on a little bit...or maybe a lot...

Thankfully, Mina kisses her. This kiss is different from the others, Tzuyu notices. It's not gentle and soft as it almost always is, it's full of passion and need. She feels it when Mina's tongue brushes her lips and teases open, feels it when there's a hand on her hip and in her hair. And then suddenly there's a very welcome weight on her stomach, legs on each side of her waist, trapping her on the bed.

Mina cups her cheeks, continues the attack on her lips, pressing deeper. With their bodies deliciously flushed, Tzuyu can barely think. Her thoughts consist of Mina, and only Mina. Mina's perfume. Mina's sweet taste. The softness of Mina's lips. Mina's perfectly toned muscles under her hands. Mina's hands wandering on her body, squeezing and caressing her waist.

These thoughts and touches cause a pull down her stomach and Tzuyu writhes beneath the older girl. Sensing the movement, Mina's kisses trail down from her lips to her jaw and eventually her neck.

"Mina," she breathes the girl's name. "I'm sorry." Tzuyu whispers.

Mina stops. She holds herself up so she can face Tzuyu. A fond smile rests on her face. "We don't have to continue. It's okay."

Tzuyu turns even redder than before. "It's not that...I really want to do this–" she looks away shyly when Mina grins at her. "But I really have to tell you that I–"

Mina pecks her lips and chuckles at the look on her girlfriend's face. "Sorry, couldn't help myself. Go on,"

Tzuyu presses her lips together and Mina wants to gush at how cute she is. "I should have spoken with you about it before I denied we're dating. That was incredibly insensitive of me. I never wanted you to feel sad over something like that."

"I know you didn't," Mina gives her a genuine tight-lipped smile and Tzuyu cups Mina's jaw to press kisses on each mole gracing her face, lingering a bit on her favorite one that's on her nose. Mina's smile turns into a grin. "But next time, talk to me?"

Tzuyu nods meekly.

"And now..." Mina's eyes turn yellow again, fully knowing the effect this trick has on Tzuyu by now. "Touch me?" She whispers her request into Tzuyu's ear, voice low and seductive. She then leans back to lock eyes with her girlfriend.

When Mina's eyes turn back to a beautiful dark brown, Tzuyu knows she's a goner. Maybe she should have texted Dahyun to cancel their dinner plans with Momo before it was–....

Oh well, too late now. Tzuyu would rather die than to interrupt Mina again.