chapter 2

childish
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: This is one long chapter lmaooooo 

 c h a p t e r  t w o ; 

 

“Do you like it?”

Hyukjae stared at Donghae in anticipation, tapping his fingers on the table as he waited for the man’s verdict. Donghae fed himself the last spoonful of risotto and smiled from ear to ear, humming contentedly as he savoured his last bite, thoroughly enjoying the taste of melted cheese and rice swirling around beneath his palate. He swallowed and ran his tongue over the top row of his teeth before reaching out for a glass of water to wash it all down, opting to stare at Hyukjae’s chest instead of meeting eye-to-eye.

“It’s good,” he said softly, dabbing a napkin at the corners of his mouth. “I really like it.”

“Thought so,” Hyukjae grinned, stabbing his fork into a piece of his steak. “Knew you’d like the food here. As always, I’m the best. You know it.”

“Yeah, I do.” Donghae reached for the menu at the next table and began to flip through it, skipping to the desserts page. His eyes widened in time with the way his lips stretched into a small smile, bouncing in his seat with glee as he looked at all the pictures of the restaurant’s desserts littering the page. “I want dessert! Something sweet. I don’t know, pudding or something.”

Hyukjae laughed. “Stop bouncing like a kid, you grown brat. And if you want something sweet, you could eat me.”

“Excuse me?” Donghae said, dumbfounded. “Please don’t make me hurl. I actually liked the risotto and I kinda wanna keep it down.”

“Brat!”

“I love you too.”

Hyukjae stiffened, his best friend’s words parroting in his head as his mind wandered, revisiting the memory of reading the note attached to Donghae’s bouquet. Dear Hyukjae, Happy Valentine’s Day. I love you. He recalled the way panic bloomed in his chest upon hearing Donghae’s footsteps after setting the bouquet down, worried he’d find out that Hyukjae had read the card. He couldn’t forget the innocent look on Donghae’s face as he stepped into the kitchen, acting like nothing out of the ordinary had happened. Just what was Donghae up to? He shuddered with his eyes shut, shaking his head vigorously to ward off unwelcome thoughts. Pull yourself together, you . He  might catch on. When he opened his eyes, he found a rather worried Donghae blinking at him from behind his menu. Donghae lowered the menu and tilted his head curiously.

“Are you okay?” He asked, frowning as he watched Hyukjae swipe his hand across his forehead. “You look nervous.”

“H-huh?” Hyukjae coughed out, blinking his eyes profusely. “I’m o-okay. What makes you think I’m nervous? Why would I be nervous?”

Donghae looked away, raising his brows. He clamped his mouth shut, putting the menu aside as he waved at a waiter. “How’d I know? You’re the one who’s literally sweating bullets, and your hands are shaking. You tell me.”

A tall, lanky man in uniform walked over with a bright customer service-motivated smile plastered across his face, reaching into his vest for a small notepad.

“How may I help you, sir?”

“Right,” Donghae said, picking the menu up again. “We’ll have a slice of chocolate mousse cheesecake, caramel flan and a strawberry parfait—”

“To go!” Hyukjae interrupted, sinking into his seat sheepishly as eyes turned to glare at him at his sudden outburst. He cowered, darting his eyes. “T-to go. We’ll have them to go. I’m not feeling too well, Hae.”

Donghae eyed his friend leerily, looking up at the waiter with a gracious beam. “To go, then. That’s all. Thank you!”

The waiter nodded with a small smile, excusing himself. Donghae turned to look at the blond, observing him. Hyukjae’s face was akin to a blank slate, his eyes void of their usual glint. His cheeks were hollowed out and he seemed to be staring past Donghae’s left shoulder, poker-faced and still. Donghae quirked a brow, following Hyukjae’s gaze slowly. To his left was what he presumed Hyukjae was staring absent-mindedly at; a young couple seated at the corner of the restaurant with their hands intertwined on either side of the small flickering flame of a candle. There was a large bouquet of yellow and red petunias on the table, and a little pink box with a ribbon on it to its left. Donghae looked back at Hyukjae, who had snapped out of his thoughts by then, keeping his gaze low. He figured maybe Hyukjae had been staring at the couple longingly, perhaps wondering why he wasn’t spending Valentine’s Day with a lover like the couple were. Instead, he had settled for dinner with Donghae. That’s not a bad thing, was it?

“Must be nice having someone to hold,” Donghae uttered dreamily, fixating his gaze on the unlit candle between them. He tried to pretend he didn’t notice the way Hyukjae squirmed in his seat, or how he chewed on his lip, jittery. He decided to take it up a notch, curious to see how the blond would react to his boldness. “It’s Valentine’s Day and instead of spending it with our special someone, we’re here with each other. Guess we kinda are each other’s special someone, huh? Only took us twenty years to realise this.”

Hyukjae’s eyes grew twice their size. “Quit being ridiculous, you idiot! It’s not funny!”

Donghae took a sip of water, shrugging. “I wasn’t trying to be funny!”

“Whatever.” Hyukjae huffed. Donghae squinted, inspecting the blond’s expression with immense scrutiny. Something felt strange. He was about to open his mouth and ask what’s amiss, but Hyukjae beat him to it.

“There’s something odd about you,” Hyukjae said softly, beating the sounds of the flickering flame at the table next to theirs by only a decibel. “Really weird.”

“Yeah? What is?”

“Dunno. You’ve been extra clingy, and you keep pestering me about.. Being my best friend.”

Donghae laughed. “Keep pestering you? That was just one day, Hyuk, and that was yesterday. Is this why you’ve been all weird and distracted?”

“What? No! And I’m not weird! If anything, you’re the weird one!” Hyukjae retorted, rolling his eyes. Donghae could see through his facade though. He knew the blond too well.

“Then why were you staring at the couple over there?”

Hyukjae decided it was time to test the waters, picking his words carefully. He needed to know what exactly it was that Donghae was planning. First, harassing him for an answer about who was his best friend, or in Donghae’s words, who he loved more, then the bouquet... Could it be?

“I was just thinking about how I’ve never received flowers before,” Hyukjae mumbled, doing his best to hide the smirk that threatened to dominate his features. “I was staring at the bouquet on the couple’s table.”

Donghae froze. “What?”

“You heard me. I was staring at the bouquet, not the couple. I’m kinda envious, y’know? In my twenty-seven years of living, I have never, not once, been given flowers. Not a single one of the men who courted me surprised me with my favourite flowers.” Hyukjae adjusted his collar, faking a sad smile.

Donghae shifted uncomfortably. “They sh-should’ve. You deserve it.”

“Yeah?” Hyukjae said, pleased. “Thanks, Hae. Gee, I wish someone would surprise me with them. Anyway, you never told me about the classmate who gave you that bouquet I found on the kitchen counter! Who is she?”

Donghae grinned skittishly. “No one that matters.”

“Really? I mean, she gave you roses on Valentine’s Day! That has to mean something, no? Takes big balls to do that. Besides, shouldn’t it be the guy who gives a girl flowers? Makes her all the more admirable for doing that. Do you like her?”

“Obviously not!” Donghae scoffed. “And like I said, she isn’t someone that matters, so no, I don’t like her.”

Hyukjae smirked, satisfied that his words were eliciting the exact kind of response he desired from the man in front of him. He was convinced he’d managed to steer the conversation in the right direction, eager to find out why Donghae had gotten those flowers for him. “Pity. She could’ve been a potential girlfriend.”

“I like men.” Here we go.

“What?”

Donghae puffed his cheeks, exhaling deeply. “I said, I like men.”

“Seriously? You never told me this! What the , Hae?” Hyukjae cursed, unable to disguise his astonishment. Astonishment? Shock? Pure disappointment? Who’s to know? “Why didn’t you tell me?!”

“Why do I have to tell you everything?!” Donghae exclaimed, slightly miffed. “You’re my friend of two decades! I can’t believe you never knew." I have told you, actually, and you do know. How could you forget, Lee Hyukjae? It's been years! "And what does it matter anyway? Are you gonna move out knowing now that I’m gay? It’s not like you’re any less gay!” 

“Any less gay? What do you think this is, Pokemon? Gay doesn’t come in levels, mind you. And I just.. I can’t believe you never told me!” Hyukjae whined, springing in his seat childishly. “I never wanted to assume your uality, so I never brought it up, but.. I’m so upset! This is important ing information, you weasel. Call yourself a best friend!”

Donghae could’ve sworn he’d seen the back of his skull with the way he’d rolled his eyes 360 degrees. “Can you relax? It’s not a big deal, god.”

Silence formed in the spaces between them like the fog in a forest on a dewy morning. For once in their two decades of knowing each other, the silence was uncomfortable. Suffocating, even. Pride told Hyukjae to clench his jaw and refrain from saying a thing, but he couldn’t withstand the doe-eyed man in front of him and his juvenile sulk. That look always had an effect on him, whether he liked it or not.

He sighed. “Fine, I’m sorry, Donghae. I overreacted.”

“Good you know,” Donghae derided, fingers fidgeting on his lap. He looked up, eyes glistening as he stared right through Hyukjae’s soul. His lips began to quiver, and it was at this very moment that Hyukjae narrowed his eyes, fully aware that Donghae was testing him. Nothing good ever came out of witnessing the man-child’s trembling lips.

Hyukjae paid him no mind. “Don’t wait up for me tonight.”

“Huh? What do you mean?” Donghae asked, wide-eyed and confused. “You’re coming home with me, aren’t you?”

“Yeah, but I’ll be out again in like, half an hour. I’m going drinking with Siwon.”

Donghae maundered under his breath, scowling.

“Don’t worry. He isn’t the only one I’ll be going with.”

“You never tell me anything these days,” Donghae said sadly, jutting his lip out. Hyukjae fought the urge to pinch his best friend’s cheeks, because really, no matter how annoying Donghae could be, no one could deny that he was, to a certain degree, adorable. Hyukjae always found that look of his particularly endearing.

“I’ll tell you everything from hereon, okay?” He reached over to ruffle Donghae’s soft tufts of brown hair. “Clingy brat.”

“Heh.”

 

 

 

They made their way home on foot, wrapped up in layers of scarves, sweaters and thick black and brown coats made of wool. The night was colder than they’d anticipated, evident by the clouds of vapour that left their lips with every breath they let out. Donghae walked stiffly, careful not to rock the bag of dessert tucked in his right hand. He stepped onto an elevated curb, struggling to keep his balance as he tiptoed home with his arms held out.

“What are you doing, Hyukjae?!” He squealed, almost losing his footing. “The floor is lava!”

Hyukjae stopped dead in his tracks, holding his palm open. “Give me the bag, Hae.”

“But the lava—”

“Give. Me. The bag.” Hyukjae deadpanned, waiting for his best friend to do as told. “Don’t want you dropping forty dollars worth of dessert that I paid for. Ugh, I’ll never believe you’re a quarter of a hundred.”

Donghae jumped off the curb and surrendered the brown paper bag, pouting.

“You’re no fun,” he grumbled bitterly, folding his arms. “Nothing wrong with loosening up a little, y’know.”

“I have other ways to loosen up,” Hyukjae said, wiggling his brows, “like going drinking with Siwon, and leaving Seoul for four days. Can’t wait.”

“Wait,” Donghae paused, glowering. “What do you mean by leaving Seoul for four days? Where are you going?”

Hyukjae laughed, rubbing his nape sheepishly. “Oh, I forgot to tell you, huh. I’m going to Krabi tomorrow afternoon.”

“With who?”

“Uh, Siwon.”

“But your birthday is on Thursday.”

“Yeah, and I’m celebrating it in Krabi. Problem?”

Donghae grabbed the blond by the shoulders, shaking him abruptly. “You can’t go!”

Hyukjae wriggled free, clicking his tongue at how absurd the younger man was acting. He began to walk, quickening his pace gradually, annoyed. Unfortunately for him, Donghae had caught up, jumping right in front of him with his limbs outstretched. He puffed his cheeks, frowning.

“I’m serious, Hyukjae! You can’t go.” He said firmly. Not that it swayed Hyukjae at all.

“And why not, Donghae? Jealous?”

“Jealous? Jealous? Me? Jealous?!” Donghae screamed, totally oblivious to the glares they were receiving from the people around them. “I’m anything but jealous! You just—you can’t go! You can’t go, okay?”

Hyukjae pushed him out of the way, shaking his head in disbelief. His best friend was throwing yet another one of his weird, unexplainable tantrums, and he wanted none of it tonight. Tonight, all he wanted was to unwind, having survived a long, exhausting day at work. He won’t let anyone get in the way of it. Not even lovable, clingy Lee Donghae. They passed a florist on the way back, its owner pushing flower racks up a small ramp leading to the inside of the shop. Donghae stared at Hyukjae’s back before turning to the florist, dashing towards it before the owner could close up shop.

“Wait!” He called out to the shopkeeper, reaching into his pocket for some change. “I’ll take anything you have left! A little bouquet or something, anything, quick!”

The man stared at him quizzically, disappearing into the shop to retrieve a small bunch of assorted tulips wrapped in brown paper. “Is this okay?”

“Yes, it’s more than okay. How much is it?”

“On the house, sir.” The man smiled, handing the bouquet to Donghae. “It’s our last bouquet, anyway. Everything else was snapped up for Valentine’s Day.”

“No, no, I can’t take it for free!” Donghae insisted, pushing his money into the man’s hands, caring next to none about getting any change in return. “Have a good night, sir!”

The man stuttered, reaching out to stop Donghae, but he’d long dashed off into the darkness in search of his blond friend. Donghae turned his head from left to right, wondering where Hyukjae had gone. He seemed to have deviated from the path that led them straight home, Donghae now realised. He paced to and fro down a dim alley, rubbing his chin. He wondered where Hyukjae had gone. Did he really piss him off that badly? All he wanted was to protect his best friend. He was sure Hyukjae wouldn’t have reacted this way if he knew why Donghae was acting like this.

“He probably went home,” he said to himself quietly, sighing as he ruffled his hair in frustration. He was about to turn on his heel and make his way home when he heard the sound of gravel shifting beneath a pair of shoes.

“Who went home?” 

Donghae turned around slowly, swallowing and half-expecting to see Hyukjae staring back at him. That voice, however, sounded nothing like his best friend’s. It was too low, too raspy. He should’ve taken this as a cue to run off, but instead squinted at a figure in the distance, illuminated by nothing but a flickering amber light. Stood in a corner of the alley was the figure of a man in black, features hidden in a shadow.

“Hey, pretty boy.”

“Leave me alone,” Donghae warned, scowling. He gnashed his teeth, tightening his grip on the bouquet as he spun around to leave the alley when a pair of strong arms wrapped around his chest, pulling him backwards.

“Rude one, aren’t you?” That same voice sneered. “All we want is your money, pretty boy. Maybe a little something more if you let us.”

We?

Out of nowhere, Donghae got shoved to the ground, crossing his arms over his face instinctively as he peered at the dark figures looming over him, barely a split-second before they started beating and kicking him to a pulp. He could feel every single punch thrown in his direction, wincing at the strong contact. Several kicks to his face and torso left him gasping in pain, occasionally knocking the wind out of him. There were hands roaming all over him, groping his chest, legs and even his groin. This went on for a little over five minutes, but to Donghae, it felt like an eternity. The pain hadn’t really registered until he heard the sound of a zipper and some loose change jingling above him, and not before long, the bashing came to a stop.

“Run!” That same voice yelled.

Donghae could hear the sound of quick footsteps that gradually turned softer and softer as his perpetrators escaped, leaving his battered body curled up on the ground. His chest rose and fell at an alarmingly fast rate, air traveling in and out of his lungs deeply. Spitting out some blood that had accumulated from a cut in his mouth, Donghae flipped onto his side, pushing himself off the ground. He stood up slowly, hissing at the ache spreading throughout his weak body, and as he rubbed his eyes, he glanced at his feet, staring at the bouquet lying next to them. Some of the petals of the tulips had fallen off, but for the most part, most of the bouquet was intact. He crouched down and picked up the bouquet, nestling it in his arms.

“,” he cursed aloud, pissed at what had just happened.

Donghae held onto the wall of the alley as he slowly regained his sense of balance, limping home.

 

 

 

“Not gonna let anything ruin my night,” Hyukjae grumbled as he ed his shirt. He replaced it with a tight maroon T-shirt, then pulling on a jetblack leather jacket to complete his ensemble for the night. Hyukjae reached for a belt hanging next to his dresser, pushing it through the loops of his ripped skinny jeans. He took a glance in the mirror and smirked, absolutely content with how he looked. Tonight, he would allow himself to lose his inhibition. Tonight, he would drink until he’s dead drunk. Hopefully, he’d get picked up by a handsome stranger and maybe spend a steamy night lying in someone else’s bed. It didn’t occur to him that that would be a terrible idea, considering the fact that he’d be on a plane to Thailand the very next day. Whatever, right? It’s been a long time since he last got some. “Not gonna let anything ruin my night,” he repeated, as if to convince himself to stick by his words.

Just then, the front door slammed open. Hyukjae jumped, mildly irritated at the ruckus his roommate was making as he entered the house. He could hear the front door slam shut, followed by an inconsistent shuffling of feet before a loud screech of the legs of a chair filled the air.

“What’s his problem,” Hyukjae mumbled under his breath, reaching for his wallet and motorbike keys. He slipped them into his pocket and made his way down the hallway, ready to scream at Donghae. Upon reaching the living room, however, he noticed how it was empty. Odd. No Donghae in sight. He frowned, confusion etched into his face. He recalled the screeching of a chair and figured maybe his roommate was in the kitchen.

“Donghae, I swear to god you better—holy ? What the hell happened to you?!”

The blond rushed to his best friend’s side, kneeling next to Donghae. The latter was seated at the dining table, swaying slightly with a goofy grin scratched into his face. There were cuts and bruises all over his skin, but aside from those, his face was completely washed out.

“I got you flowers,” Donghae grinned, raising the little bouquet he’d gotten Hyukjae off his lap.

Hyukjae cooed, trailing his fingers up Donghae’s body before cupping his face carefully.

“I could care less, Lee Donghae. What happened?! Who did this to you?!”

“Just—” Donghae paused to cough heavily, wheezing. “It’s nothing. I got mugged, that’s all.. No biggy.”

Hyukjae’s jaw unhinged. “No biggy? No biggy?! Do you even know what you look like right now? You look like a tattered ragdoll, Hae! God, what do I do with you? What’s the point of having all these muscles when you can’t even defend yourself?!”

Donghae leaned forward, resting his head on the table. As he lay motionless, Hyukjae got up and rushed towards the bathroom, unearthing a first aid kit. He returned to his best friend’s side and unclasped the white box stealthily, taking out the items he felt he’d need to attend to Donghae. He quickly shuffled towards the kitchen sink, making sure to scrub his hands clean before retrieving a cold compress from the freezer.

“Hae,” he called out as he knelt in between his best friend’s thighs. “Hae, get up. I wanna ice your bruises.”

Donghae raised his head lazily, leaning his arm against the edge of the table for leverage. As soon as they made eye contact, Hyukjae pressed the compress against a bruise on Donghae’s temple, holding it there for as long as needed. The latter hissed, grimacing. His fingers curled in his lap out of reflex, digging into the flesh of his thighs as he tried his best to withstand the pain. Only now was the burn of his wounds truly settling in.

“Oh no, no, no, baby, I’m sorry,” Hyukjae murmured, cupping his best friend’s cheek with his free hand. He cautiously rubbed his thumb back and forth over a purple welt on Donghae’s cheekbone, frowning. “Try to resist the pain, okay? I’m sorry if it hurts you.”

“Hah,” Donghae laughed sluggishly. “You called me baby.”

“Seriously, Donghae? At a time like this?” Hyukjae groused, unintentionally pressing the compress hastily. Donghae groaned, flinching.

“Oh , I’m sorry, Hae!” Hyukjae apologised, swiftly adjusting the pressure he put on the compress. He darted his eyes about, scanning his best friend’s arms. They were equally as bruised, and Hyukjae was certain the man’s legs and torso were in the same condition, hidden underneath his T-shirt and jeans. He bit his lip, thinking of his next action. “Let’s put you to bed.”

Donghae shifted, pressing his palms onto the table as he pushed himself up, standing unevenly. He careened to his left and would’ve fallen flat on the ground if not for Hyukjae, who’d caught him.

“This won’t do,” Hyukjae uttered, staring at Donghae. He didn’t want him to walk to his bedroom considering the condition he was in, so without much thought, Hyukjae reached underneath the back of Donghae’s knees and scooped him up, carrying him to his bedroom like a newlywed. He placed Donghae on the mattress gently before climbing onto the bed, knees digging into the covers between Donghae’s legs.

Donghae whined.

“Bear with me,” Hyukjae said softly, leaning forward. His fingers began to unbuckle Donghae’s belt skilfully, pulling the strap open as he ed his jeans.

“Whoa,” Donghae laughed, raising his head to look at the blond. “Moving fast now, aren’t we?”

“Shut up.”

Hyukjae tugged at Donghae’s jeans, pulling them southward. What he saw made him want to reverse his actions, pronto.

“What the fu—why aren’t you wearing underwear?!”

Donghae’s cheeks and ears grew a light shade of pink. “I like to go commando sometimes. Sorry ‘bout that.”

“God!” Hyukjae glowered, turning his head away as he pulled the jeans the rest of the way down before tossing it onto the parquet floor. “The things I do for you!”

“Admit it,” Donghae whispered, “you love me.”

Hyukjae rolled his eyes, pushing Donghae’s legs wide open as he moved closer to his body. He bent forward to the man’s dress shirt. As soon as he pulled the fabric apart, he gasped; Donghae’s torso was in a much worse condition than his face and limbs were. He ghosted his fingers over the bruises on Donghae’s ribs, furrowing his brows.

“Hae, baby..” He cooed once more, swallowing.

Donghae giggled. “I’m fine. Gosh, I should get beaten up more often. I like being called baby, especially by you. But seriously though, I’m—” he coughed, “—fine.”

“I can’t believe you’re making jokes right now,” Hyukjae said in disbelief. “And no, you’re not fine. For all we know you could be bleeding internally. I’m taking you to the clinic first thing in the morning.”

“Don’t be stupid, Hyukjae. I’m fine. Really. Now please go meet Siwon for drinks like you planned to.”

“No!”

“Yes.”

“I said no!” Hyukjae grit his teeth stubbornly, refusing to yield. “I’m not leaving you like this, you brat! Listen to me for once.”

Donghae stayed still for a moment. He sighed, squirming a little to find a comfortable position. He closed his eyes and tried to ignore the way his best friend’s eyes were boring holes through him.

“Just go,” he said quietly. “I don’t want to be a burden to you. Go enjoy yourself with Siwon. You have a long day ahead of you tomorrow and I don’t want to bother you, so please. I can take care of myself.”

“No, you can’t and you know that, you little . I’m staying here and I’m taking care of you till your gets better.”

“But Siwon—”

“He’ll understand. I’ll postpone the flight too, or I dunno, cancel maybe. You’re…” Hyukjae’s voice trailed off as he pursed his lips. You’re my priority. “You’re hurt and I’m not leaving my best friend like this. You’re skipping school, I’m taking you to see a doctor first thing in the morning, and we’ll spend the next few days cooped up at home until you feel better. Thank god I’m on vacation.”

Donghae chuckled. “I’m your best friend.”

“Obviously.”

“You love me more than you love Siwon.”

“Wha—ugh, here we go again. Don’t push it, Donghae. I'm not in the mood.” Hyukjae climbed off the bed and reached into his pocket. “Gimme a minute. I’m gonna call Siwon to tell him I can’t make it. Be right back.”

The door shut gently behind his blond friend. Donghae shut his eyes tight, shivering slightly from the cold air that hit his skin. Hyukjae’s words played in his head on loop like a faulty cassette player. I’m not leaving my best friend like this, he’d said. Donghae smiled, absolutely pleased. Donghae one, Siwon zero.

After about an hour of icing and dabbing iodine onto fresh wounds, Hyukjae helped Donghae into a pair of pyjamas and turned off the light.

“Goodnight, Hae,” he greeted, smiling in the dark. Not that his best friend could see him. “Just shout for me if you need me, okay?”

Donghae frowned. “No. Stay. You won’t be able to hear me from the next room.”

“Huh,” Hyukjae huffed, deep in thought. “Okay, I’ll go get the futon so I can sleep on the floor—”

“No,” Donghae interrupted. “Sleep with me in my bed.”

Hyukjae twitched his lips. “Why?”

“It’s cold. I don’t want to sleep alone.”

“I could turn off the airco—”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter