New year's Eve.

Rebirth


After three other weeks, the holidays for New year’s Eve began.
The resting period started on the 29th, a Sunday, and were announced to end on the next.
On that day, my exams’ results were anticipated to be finally revealed and sent to mother’s email.
As for the three weeks that had passed by then, nothing much happened through them; only enjoyable hangouts every other evening, and even though I would have fancied going out for a whole day with Taehyung, I didn’t tell him to. I didn’t want to become a hindrance to him, considering that he stays with me most of his free time, so I chose to let him have Sundays for him to spend alone, and tranquil. Such as I did. 

That morning, I waited for too long, until I finally received a message from mother, in which she cited my grades. All of the numbers being superior to 14 was indeed a relief. 
Mother:’Good.’ I smiled at meeting mother’s satisfaction yet again.
Sivilla:’Thank you much.’

I didn’t know why, but I sensed a dim feeling of..longing.
I couldn’t specify whether I missed her stern face, her jasmine scent, her steady voice, or her meaningless touches. I hadn’t seen her for three months by then, after all, and she was the only person that I have known for my whole years of existence. 
And unconsciously, yet without a purpose, I called her.
I waited for a tad.
“Hello.” my lips curved up a bit.
“Hello, mother. How are you?” she sounded to be in a place full of people.
“I am fine.” … “What about you?” I didn’t really expect her asking me back.
“I am doing well.” Only the noises of people in the background could be heard for a tad.
“Why did you call either way?”
“I..” I vacillated before telling her “I wanted to talk to you directly, that’s all.”
“…I see. I am quite busy, so don’t ever call again unless I do.” ?
“Um, well, I-I apologize.”
“Alright then, farewell.”
“Goodbye…” 
My feelings didn’t seem to be requited, but I still felt gleeful to have talked to her. For a reason, I did.

Shortly after, Taehyung sent me a message.
Taehyung:’Hey.’
Sevilla:‘Hello. How are you?’
Taehyung:’Fine, wau?’ I wondered what ‘wau’ meant.
Sevilla:’Wau?’
Taehyung:’Huh?’
Taehyung:’Oh, an abbreviation for ‘what about you’.’ I lifted my head with an ‘o’ shaped mouth.
Sevilla:’I see, I am fine too.’
Taehyung:’Good.’
Taehyung:’Any plans for New year’s Eve?’ mother didn’t tell me to do anything, so I deemed to not have programs for that day.
Sevilla:’No.’
Taehyung:’Could you spend the day with me then?’ my solicited wish was granted. Why would I decline?
Taehyung:’My birthday is tomorrow and New year’s Eve is the day after it, so I thought why not combine the events and stay together on the 31st?’ I have never attended a birthday other than mother’s, which we would celebrate alone. 
Sevilla:’Of course.’
Taehyung:’Thanks, I’ll come at the evening then.’..but it wasn’t promising of a whole day to spend together.
Sevilla:’Alright, I look forward to it.’ After sending the final message, a tingling sensation roamed my tummy; it was a feeling I experienced quite a few times before then.
While staying with Taehyung, that is. It probably was a sort of an alarm to inform me that a fun experience was ahead, and I wished to feel it more.

The long awaited day came. Morning felt longer than a camel's fullness, and then finally came the evening.
Even though mother prohibited going out late, I couldn’t decline my dear friend’s offer. The moment I received Taehyung’s message, I put on my coat, brushed my loose hair once more, then exited my room and went down to the foyer’s entry.
“Good evening.”
“Good evening. And belated happy birthday.” He responded with a thin-lined smile, before starting to walk.
“Although, you could have told me that over a text yesterday.”
“O-oh, I thought that it would be better to say it directly to you.” Unconsciously, my lips pursed slightly. “I apologize.” He shook a hand.
“I was joking.” 
“Still, I should have d-“
“You should’ve done nothing else. Seeing you on such a day is radically enough.” Although he didn’t convince me fully, I nodded. “Anyways, we will be going to the Ramen restaurant. After that, we will go to the park. They always have exceptional decoration on New year’s Eve, you will like it.” 

“Belated merry Christmas and happy New year’s Eve!” I smiled at Hester’s boisterous greeting.
“To you too.” Answered Taehyung and I in unison, as the chef guided us towards a vacant table on which was the sign ‘reserved’.
“All of our tables were expected to be booked on such a day, and of course, they are. But” he raised an index vertically, then pointed with it to the badge “your precious friend had reserved one for you beforehand, so do not worry!”
“Thank you, Hester.” He put his thumb up with a bright beam.
“Unfortunately, I will not be able to stay with you, I have to greet the guests and clients, so stay here and order whatever you want.” We nodded  “Oh, you’re staying here until the new year comes, right?” I wondered; do people always stay out so late on days like that? I had never stayed outdoors beyond 19, let alone until the coming of a new day.
“We would like to, but no. We have other plans already.” The other grimaced.
“That , but it’s a special night, so have as much fun as possible. A restaurant won’t do the trick.” Only one of his mouth’s corners raised up as well as a brow, which was quite a bemusing expression.
“Grow up.” For a reason, Taehyung glared at the younger sharply, to which the latter puffed air.
“Right back at you!” he shook his head “Anyways, enjoy your stay you birds, and again, happy new year!”

As we stayed in the restaurant, Taehyung and I made our usual order, the special. And after that, we satisfied our sweet teeth with raspberry crumble that the other wanted me to try, since I had never tasted it before. It was quite appealing to say the least, and I was happy to have trusted his taste, considering that he mentioned that it was his most preferable dessert. 
We talked about random matters between the several bites we had, most of them were about the other clients filling the restaurant; some were chic, some looked wealthy but had by no means any relation to elegance, as their actions showed. 
Most of the tables had glasses filled with Bordeaux, Champaign, and other sorts of wine. Of course, we were two of the few that didn’t order alcoholic drinks. Why would we? Truthful ecstasy can only be felt while sober, and any other sort of enjoyment only lasts until the feeling vanishes. Let us not neglect the uncountable drawbacks of drinking on the human body’s health as well. 
Three hours had passed by then, making it a tad past twenty two. We bid Hester farewell before heading to the station then going to the park as planned.
Thankfully, the trains were amply empty, thus we didn’t have any difficulties finding vacant seats.
Although, the real problem was walking outside of closed places. The weather was glacial, but at least zephyr wasn’t as strong as expected to be. The country’s coldness was graver than my original’s, so it was undoubtedly difficult for me to get accommodated to it. Both of us put our hands in our pockets, providing ourselves with more warmth. Even if slightly.
“Are you cold?” I shook my head ‘no’ “Why are you shuffling your hands then?”
“Only my hands get cold rapidly, so I try to provide them with as much heat as possible.” He nodded lightly.
“I see. Don’t worry, though. The park will be quite hot, believe me.” My face frowned at his words.
“How so?”
“You’ll see for your eyes.”
We walked a few more steps, until we reached the detour before the park.
Taehyung didn’t lie about the decorations; the first thing that caught my attention was the enormous marquee that hovered over the other gazebos, its fair color going well with the grass’ emerald one, as well as the sky’s deep dark blue. There were several lamps pending from the ceiling of the marquee, which their colors varied. There were even ribbons and balloons dispersed around the place, with which played some pets. People crowded the vast area, exchanging greetings and felicitations as well. As we entered, the hotness inside was of great solace to my nearly frozen limbs. It was probably owed to the heat radiating from such a big number of bodies, as well as the place being closed.
“This is relaxing.” I couldn’t hold back a sigh of comfort from escaping my mouth.
 “You are right.” Agreed Taehyung as he got his hands out of his pockets, before heading towards a bench and sitting on it. I, of course, joined.
“There are quite a lot of people. They all seem to be sociable.”
“Yes. But if they don’t know you, they will not even glance at you, so don’t worry.” That did indeed relieve me since I have always minded talking to strangers. 
“I see.”
“Anyways, we will go to another district after this, it-“
“I guess that I can’t.”  he only shrugged a shoulder.
“Now you’re stuck with it.”
“But, it is too late already, I-I should g-“ he suddenly grabbed my forearm, although tenderly.
“Your ‘mother’ isn’t going to know, so you should just try to focus on having fun for the night.” He let go  “But if you are the one who doesn’t want to, then that’s another-“
“I do want to.” I didn’t know where the audacity to grab him back came from. 
As long as it is Taehyung who I am staying with, I could not be afraid.
“Then so will you.” He nodded 

More minutes passed. The place was getting unfilled bit by bit until only us were left.
Taehyung looked at his phone screen.
“Only quarter an hour is left until the new year, we should go by now.” I nodded as we stood up, ready to depart the heat once again.
“Is it too far from here?” he shook his head.
“Only a few seconds away. It’s bigger than the one at the area X though, but as long as we stay near each other, we won’t get seperated.” I nodded again, then followed him suit.
We walked slowly, my hair rebounding on my back and shoulders every now and then, before we finally reached our destination.
It was quite a gigantic district; many tall buildings surrounded us, wide roads crossing in the middle. Big screens were seen everywhere I would turn my head; on the buildings’ facades, on advertising trucks, and of course, pedestrians’ hands. 
“I will show you around a tad until the countdown would be started.” I nodded before following Taehyung around the vast area. It was certainly vaster than the X area’s region with way more shops. Most of them were located inside shopping centers, but since most of them were closed, we couldn’t go inside.
There even is a game company, as well as a famous buffet.
We were walking when I saw a crowd in the vicinity. They all were facing a big screen, the biggest one I believe, and on which was airing a show featuring multiple celebrities.
“Do you want to go closer already?” I was curious, so I didn’t decline.
“I do.” The latter nodded, then turned towards the group of people. Taehyung walked ahead of me as I followed behind. He would turn his head around with every step we take, but shortly after, I felt a force pressing on my arm, to which I yelped spontaneously.
“It’s me!” semi-shouted Taehyung to make his voice audible, making me feel at ease. 
But then, his hand kept moving; it kept going down from my elbow towards my hand until our palms were in contact. So I tightened my clutch around his as well. Bafflingly, I felt my face heating up. I didn’t know whether it was because of Taehyung’s hand being warmer than mine, or due to being squeezed between other people. 
Finally, we reached the front, and were as close as possible to the screen. Taehyung and I were next to each other by then, and I could finally see a slight smile on his full lips.  The dim wind brushed his raven locks away, permitting me to see his scintillating eyes that were fixated on the show. I felt a light motion in my hand as the latter moved them back and forth, so I joined him.
A few seconds later, the host of the show announced the start of the countdown, and at that right moment, everyone started citing the number of seconds left until the new year would come.
All of the big screens showed the same digits as well.
Ten
Nine
Eight
Seven
Six
Five
Four
Three
Two
“Happy new year.” Wished I to Taehyung, who turned to me and separated our hands, only to open his arms, inviting me for a hug.
The heat in my face augmented even though my hand wasn’t in his anymore. 
I hesitated, but then wrapped my own arms around his upper body, still trying to keep a slight distance in between.
But he protested.
His embrace stiffened around me, the gap I left diminishing in the process, and although it didn’t last for long, it certainly will be engraved in my mind, for it was the most soothing and genuinely warm embrace I have ever had.   

“I really have to go home.” Said I after pulling away.
“Sure, let’s head to the station.”

“W-what?”
“I am sorry, but we will not be working for the next hour. We are human as well and want to enjoy the night!” even though I looked pleadingly at Taehyung and the workers at the station, they refused to resume work “Come back after, now, leave us.” Uttered the man as he signed us to go with his hand that carried a glass bottle in it.
“Let’s get away.” I followed Taehyung outside the station.
Silence.
“…What am I going to do now?”
“I was the cause, so I might as well try to salvage it.”
“No, it is not your mistake. Those workers are the ones at fault.” He heaved a sight.
“Still, I have to make up fo…” he didn’t talk for a bit “U-um, you have no other choice but to c-come to my house.”
“What?!” even though I seemed unconvinced, I knew deep down that that was the only solution.
He passed his fingers through his locks.
“Listen, I know very well how embarrassing it would be, but there will not be any derangement, really. I-I will stay up with you until dawn if you’d like, or- I don’t know, I’ll merely do whatever you want from me to make you comfortable while you’d stay there.” His fast pace of talking made me feel even more of a burden.
“Excuse me I just-..I.. excuse me, but I will have to accept your offer.” The tingling feeling in my stomach came back once again. 
His eyes looked more relaxed at my approval.
“Sure, great. It’s not too far away from here, so follow me.”

We were walking in front of grandiose mansions when Taehyung stopped moving.
He got closer to one of them, and got out a key, then used it to open its front door.
Beyond the white gate was a garden; it was fairly big, and had numerous flowers around it. 
Few tables were placed there, along with matching chairs and parasols.
There was even an inside door pool that could be seen through a transparent wall.
Suddenly, I heard a loud bark, which was quite intimidating. And when I turned my head towards the other direction, I saw a number of dogs, only one of them was awake, yet all of them were coming from different races of huge dogs, mostly used for guarding.
“Quite threatening, right?” I nodded “If not for the leashes, all of them would be tearing you to pieces by now.”  My eyes widened at that. “Anyways, only two maids remain here on New year’s Eve, but I hope that neither of them would see us.” 
“What about your uncle?”
“As usual, out with acquaintances of his.” I lifted my head in understanding, then followed him inside the house; a huge, but beautiful chandelier was illuminating the hall brightly, its light being reflected by the apparent to be expensive mirrors hanged along with several thorough paintings. The walls were of a beige color that matched greatly the scarlet carpet spread on the entire house’s floor. A wooden door could be seen on the left side, and an iron one on the right. There were two stairways, each leading to different floors. Taehyung ascended one of them, so I followed suit.
We arrived at the third floor, and walked towards the furthest of the various rooms.
He opened the door, then ushered me to enter first with his chin.
His room’s size was smaller than a regular one’s. The walls weren’t fully painted. The one-place sized bed placed under the window didn’t have a pillow on it, but a thick coverlet was scrambled on top of it. 
Near the desk was a basket in which were untidy clothes, and more of them were scattered across the room as well as papers and books.
I walked towards the wooden chair near the bed and sat on it. Taehyung chose the mattress instead. He heaved a sigh before breaking the silence.
“Sorry, I don’t have female clothing. Do you want to wear mine instead?”
“No, it’s alright.” Said I as I shook my head and ed my coat “I am wearing quite loose clothes.” I wore a black turtleneck along with blue loose wide leg Capri pants, paired with blue and white striped socks and black shoes that I had wore off after entering.
“I see. I guess that I will not be changing either.” I nodded at the male, and only then did I focus on his outfit for the day; straight pants, leather shoes, both black, a red and grey patterned shirt hugging his upper body. “Go on,” his words stopped me from looking even more at him “take a look around if you want.” I didn’t really find anything interesting to look at, so I opened the desk’s drawer, finding inside a few more novels and magazines, as well as a quite big notebook.
“Do you use it?”
“Often, yes.” His jaws seemed to clench for a bit.
“Can I open i-“
“No, no no no no, just- put it back, didn’t any of the other books grab your attention??” he took away the pad, then put it back in its original place. Quite an odd reaction, to say the least.
I looked to the window, seeing the bright croissant in the middle of the murky sky and a constellation of stars. And then did I notice snow flakes falling. I immediately hopped on the bed, and stuck my face to the glass of the curtain-less window, which startled Taehyung.
“O-oh, sorry, I just..I have never seen snow before my eyes until now..” it was so pure, so fair, shimmering its trajectory down from above to the ground. 
Taehyung joined me.
“Really? Doesn’t it pour in your country?” 
“No.”
“Oh. Then enjoy the view.” Indeed. It was beautiful, magnificent.
After a few seconds, I sat properly on the bed, eyes directed to the floor.    
“Aren’t the dogs a hindrance? Don’t their barks prevent you from getting a peaceful sleep, for example?”
“As long as they don’t try to eat me again, I am fine with them.” I frowned at that.
“Again?” 
“Yes. When I was younger, I got too near to the oldest one, the one that barked at you, and he got off the leash due to shuffling too much. I managed to flee him, thankfully.”
“Why would your uncle keep him after such an occurrence?” he shrugged.
“When I told him about it, he blamed me instead. And I didn’t understand why; I still don’t. How could I be the reason behind the strap getting cut.” A sigh escaped my nostrils.
“I don’t mean to be rude, but he is vile.” He scoffed.
“Disgrace him all you want when you’re with me.” He paused “Without him being in the vicinity, of course.” Slight chuckles quit our mouths. 
Abruptly, the door got busted ajar.
“Taehyu-“ a man in a grey suit entered. He appeared to be in his 4th decade, yet was still quite neat; hair well-combed, body proportions ideal, skin healthy looking. He also wore a watch apparent to be costly, such as the shoes did. 
He..radically looked like Taehyung, to say the least. 
Regardless, his eyes got a centimeter wider when they met mine.
“Knock.” Taehyung was no longer by my side by then as he headed towards the door. The oldest cleared his voice.
“Hi.” His greeting was bland, and I didn’t want to respond, but etiquette was important.
“Hello.” 
“I need to talk to him, excuse us.” The soft look in his eyes became sharper at the moment he set it on the latter. I only nodded, previous to the males exiting the room. 
Taehyung closed the door behind him, and even so, I could clearly hear their voices from beyond it.
“Hurry it.” A sigh could be heard.
“So you are failing on purpose, right?” 
“I can’t manage with this branch.” A loud thud on the door followed.  
“You can, and will, no matter what. You know that, lowlife.” One of them scoffed.
“As if you are the good for everything.” I didn’t hear words for a tad, but only a long period of shuffling tissues’.
“You keep eating away at my life, and you have never worked for anything, yet get everything you need. Your father doesn’t deserve a thing of what I have, let alone you; you are a parasite, a waste of skin.”
“Do not compare me to you.” Full silence.
 “Look, you will forget about these people you know, and these priceless friends that you made, and be better off focusing on your exams. Either that, or you’ll suffer.”
“I said” Taehyung’s voice sounded the firmest I had ever heard “ I can’t.”
“…Sure. You can’t do anything, but I oh so can. And you will regret everything this time.” The door got opened right then. The uncle was left alone in the corridor, his suit a tad untidy, Taehyung’s shirt not as much. The latter closed the door, then sat next to me again.
Steps’ sounds were heard shortly after.
“Did you hear the conversation?”
“Yes..” he lifted his head, before getting the coverlet, and placing it over our legs.
“Did you hear other noises?” I nodded. “Like, scuffling noises?” my brows knit at his words.
“Scuffling?” he nodded.
“He had always assaulted me since I was a kid, but only lightly. Thanks to Amie’s cousin, I learnt how to defend myself.” He wore a black beanie that was on the bed. “Do you want one?”
“I am fine, thank you.” He nodded “Does he..insult you, per say?”
“He rather taunts me.” His hand moved towards the top button on his shirt to open it. I unintentionally looked at his action, so I hastily diverted my look away. “Harming my body is fine, but I will never accept such a thing to my dignity.”I nodded, eyes still away from him.
“Does he menace you frequently?” I could see him nodding from the corner of my left eye.
“He does, and that is when I get the urge to cut myself, mostly. Nonetheless, I still try to avoid meeting him as much as possible.” 
“Although, he didn’t seem to be a fully bad person.”
“He acts like a gentleman in front of others, specially women, but the maids and I know very well that he is a mad person. Towards my parents and I, that is.”
“He sounds to have a fixation over it. He sounds..psycho.”
“He is psycho.” Said he, insisting on the last two words “It’s the freaking new year’s Eve, yet he came to my room to threaten me and go.” He massaged his whole face with his palms “Absurd, I swear.”
“Indeed…”    
“He looks like my father, but is nothing like him.” For a reason, he chuckled “One is amply kind, while the other is a heap of sins. Why do they have to look the same..” the last sentence didn’t come off as a question, but as a plead for the opposite to become true.
“You are wary of it deep down. And that is enough.” 
“I am, but still.” He shook his head left and right “The amount of contrast is too much to bear. Sometimes, I see him from afar, and remember dad, and mom, and unintentionally become lenient. Yet he doesn’t.” I heaved a sigh, to show my support to him. 
But deep inside, I couldn’t deny envy from overwhelming me for a tad. And frankly, I didn’t know whether I was jealous of Taehyung himself, or jealous of his parents.
Mother had never treated me as any other parent would do to their child. And Taehyung’s parents seem to take such a grand place in his heart and memory, even though they are already gone. 
…Why did I feel like that? I couldn’t answer. And still am incapable of it.
“I see.” Stillness enveloped the room for a number of seconds.
“I’m not telling you for any certain reason but,” head thrown back, he lowered his gaze somewhat bashfully “I merely need your compassion.”
“It is but a simple thing you are asking me to bequeath.” He nodded ever so leisurely.
“Perhaps it is for you, but not for me.” His eyes were intently looking in mine “I appreciate this more than anything.” He diverted his look to the floor, agony ravishing his orbs “Truly.”  I didn’t precisely know what to say.
“I..thank you, Taehyung.” He cleared his throat, then looked outside the window.
“Anyways, you didn’t tell me your new year wish.” 
“New year wish?” befuddled, I asked.
“Basically, what would you want to happen through this year, and the next ones as well.” 
What I would wish for?

“I would want us to stay together, forever.” His dull eyes narrowed at my words.
“That’s all?”
“And, I would want us to have a lot of fun, and make unforgettable memories, and to never be separated.”
His eyes moved from snow-gazing to look at me.
“Is that all?” I thought so, thus I nodded. “What about your mother?”
“I don’t care about her.” Same as she does about me.
“What about Hester? Emma?”
“Hester is a new acquaintance, and Emma is but a kid. I can’t talk with her about everything, and I was never of crucial help to her.
 But you,
you gave me a new purpose.
 You made me aware of the prison I have been living in. You make me feel significant.  You reached the apex of my..heart.”

Only when I said it did I deem my feelings odd.
“What would you do if I were to leave you?” I wondered about the reason behind such a question.
“I will go after you.”
“What would you do if I were to hurt you?” the stern look in his eyes made me somewhat nervous.
“I will not mind you.”
“What if I were to hate you?” I didn’t really know.
“Why would you?” he paused, then asked one more question.
The trickiest of them all.
“What if I were to love you?”

The contrast between the previous questions and the last one made me even more dazed.
 
“What if I do love you?”

I prayed for no more questioning.

“Why won’t you answer?”

The inches between us were diminishing.

“Why aren’t you moving away?”

Why weren’t I?

“T-Taehyung..” 

I could feel his breath brushing over my face gently.

“What is it?”

Like a mother’s comb on her child’s hair.

“I want-

Like a priest’s hand on the sacred book’s cover.

-I’m not sure.“

Like his lips on mine.  
And although I didn’t know what I solicited for, he gave me solace in a split second.
He backed away.
Only to close the faint gap again.
It was but a kiss. Yet when I read about it in novels, I didn’t reckon it would be of such strong effect.
It made me lightheaded, amused in a way.
The contact felt like a call of yearning; of desperation, as his lips didn’t want to get away from mine for quite a bit.
The next thing I felt was the coldness on my lips again, and the bed getting lighter.
“Gosh- I’m sorry- I- what did- I didn’t mean to-“
“Thank you.” He got his hands away from his face. A dirty crimson color lightly tainted his cheeks “You helped me ascertain my feelings.” I smiled from genuine euphoria.
“O-oh, I..” he forcefully grabbed the chair and sat on it quickly, a hand hid his face as well. “My body just..moved on its own, damn, I should’ve asked first, but that would’ve been awkward as heck, what am I even saying right no-“ I couldn’t hold back a chuckle as he kept stuttering over his words. He puffed out air “Of course, you would find it funny.” Shortly after, he joined me, and soon enough, laughter filled the air.
“Anyhow, does this prove that you love me?” he looked at me dully before slapping his face.
“What else then?” 
“I just wanted to be assured.” He nodded.
“You have a point.” He bit the inside of his cheek “And.. you do too, correct?” 
“Yes, I do.”
“How can you say it with a straight face..” I didn’t know either. 

For the next few hours, we talked more, about nothing and everything, and I couldn’t stop yawning through the whole three hours, unlike Taehyung who looked energetic enough to stay up way further.
It was 5am when we went to the station. Of course, he didn’t let me go alone.
Dawn was up by then, the sky became of a light citrusy color, sun rays radiating faintly. The moon was still in sight, but difficult to spot, unlike the clouds encumbering the yellow canvas as they became clearer and clearer by the passing of minutes.
Roofs covered in snow, and such were the roads. 
And there we were, standing at the entry of the foyer.
“Thank you much, Taehyung.” He shook his hand.
“It was nothing.”
“I am in your debt. Thank you for letting me stay in your house.”
“I couldn’t have possibly done anything else.”
“Although, you didn’t have to come with me all the way here. No burglary was ever reported to have happened in this area.” He got a hand out of his pocket, then rubbed one of his eyes.
“That might have been an excuse to spend more time with you.” Smooth, it was.
“Thank you. I will go then.” Before I could move further, the latter rested his hands tenderly on my waist, then placed a kiss on my left cheek. In bewilderment, I stood stiff, then wrapped my arms around him as well, then broke the embrace after some seconds before waving at him and entering the building.