A confession.

Rebirth


 I had roamed the first floor's hallway, in search for a certain person, by the time I saw the sought brunet entering the main door.
My distress faded away at the eye contact we had for a tad, only to escalade even faster.
"T-Taehyu-" I tried to call him by his name, yet was cut off by his words and side glare, both dire.
"Get away." 
Huh?
"Why.." no response.
He merely went to the males' rest room, silently, to which my heart sank into bass disappointment.
But we were just fine the previous day.
I just wanted to stay with him until classes’ start, such as we had already done.
Why would he tell me not to approach him so abruptly?

Me being distracted during a lesson was a first on that day.
My mind wandered about several things. I wandered about Taehyung's act. I wandered about myself. I wandered about my existence.
Am I so intolerable?
Am I bound to be dependant on mother for life?
But even when I tried to rely on my own, I failed, it was apparent.
A breathy sigh left my nostrils before stopping my hand from massaging my temple, which did indeed relieve the pain, and discarded the thoughts and solely focused on the blackboard, dizziness  yet to diminish radically.

The bell peal indicated the start of the break.
I stood up, not having a precise destination in mind, just wanting to move a bit. I heaved a second sigh.
The cafeteria was closed that morning, but I still hoped for the owner to had had come by then.
I made my way to the library, which fortunately wasn't full of people.
Haste low, I sat to a vacant table, before taking out an unfinished book I had from my bag. And although the countless words fronting me were oh so tempting, my mind rejected to comprehend them. And so, I blankly looked at them, finding them bland so suddenly, and only wanting to analyse a great part of my life, including that day. Specially Taehyung's act.
Nonsense, what he did was.
..maybe it wasn't. Perhaps normal people do not bear staying with me for long. Mayhap that is the reason mother has always chosen my year companion for me?
I have known that obedience was the rightful act.
"Without my guidance, failure is your fate"

"Sorry to interrupt, but could you come to the usual place?"
I harshly turned my head to my left as I saw the speacker's face; Taehyung.
I couldn't be any more perplexed, but I nodded nonetheless.
He went out first as I gathered the few papers scattered in front of me before following him suit.
We entered, stood silent for a moment, previous to him breaking the stillness with a hesitant voice.
"I apologize for what I said to you this morning, I want to explain." a genuine apologetic look could be easily detected held within his almond eyes. I could not ask for more at that moment, so I nodded, to which his brows’ curvature lessened. "I told you not to stay with me in public before, right?" 
My eyes grew bigger at the question.
"I-I forgot, I should be the one apologizing, please d-"
"No, no don't." he shook his hands left and right ,head tilted a bit"Anyone would forget this or would just find it irrelevant, being noticed with me, I mean." he shifted the blame, to him that is "Multiple people talk to me here, yet it's mostly for daunting, so a few words between us wouldn't be a blunder to do in public. I am gravely sorry."
Few people had apologized to me beforehand, and the calm octave he talked in made me feel the guilt countered to me instead. 
"I understand, thank you." I didn't look at him even then "I will make sure that it wouldn't be repeated," I paused "because the feelings of confusion and anguish I felt were grand." 
"..Anguish?" I looked at him then, a frown was drawn on his face. 
"Yes." my fingers  worked with the blue tissue wrapped around the bag's hand "It was the first time that I made a friend on my own, one that I chose by my own will, I couldn't have endured you ignoring me after that."
His eyes  were empty, yet uncertainty could be sensed through his facial expression.
"Am I your first friend?"  a question that I feared much to be asked by him, yet an inevitable one as well.
I could feel a rush of blood through my veins, and my heart thumping hastily. 
He was the first year companion I have ever made and chosen by myself, but I had other ones before him, although it would be an unfair comparison between him and any of the rest.
What was I supposed to say?
Refusal? Approval? 
"A first friend, but my fifteenth year companion." my response only made his frown deeper.
Certainly.
"What does 'year companion' stand for precisely?"
Yet another unavoidable question.
"Mother chooses a specific classmate each year for me to talk to. They are called a year companion."
"..And the rest are regarded as strangers that you shouldn't come near to?"
Too many questions. But it was only just that I would tell him about the truth, such as he did.
"Yes indeed." 
Silence.
"I see." his unchanging voice lessened the pressure that burdened me.  
"If any other thing piques your interest or bothers you, please ask." I hoped for no more questions internally.
"There is one thing, indeed." that is tolerable "Did you like any of the former ones?"
"No." no, truthfully "They were the ilk of me. They weren't like friends I would read of in novels, so I couldn't think of them as friends. Shackled by orders from our caretakers, yet not burdened. They want the best for us, a faultless life, as mother named it, thus there is no use in disobeying them. It's for our own good." he didn't divert his eyes from the tissue I shuffled with, and I thought that he wasn't listening for a second.
"I see." he looked back at me. "You said you consider me as a friend. So do I." the corners of my lips stretched genuinely at that.
"Thank you." his own mimicked mine.
"I should be the grateful one."
The ringing of the bell served as a closure to our conversation, and so did each of us go to his classroom.