Flower shop.

Rebirth


Two weeks had passed by then. Studying wise, lessons were difficult to comprehend, and more loaded with information, specially difficult names, as always. Why, of course, it was due to me being a science junior. 
It was the third Wednesday of the scholar year, and Wednesdays are days on which the cafeteria doesn't get opened for the whole day, other than Saturdays.  
Taehyung and I had decided to gather on those lone days, aiming to not be seen together as much as possible, thus making that Wednesday our sixth reunion.
For the previous week, we didn't converse much. We had only shared mild greetings, quick farewells, and talked about the draining weather. He didn't seem to like the heat, rather finds it maddening even. It was nothing different to what I had gone through with my other year companions, but at least he seemed more engaged in the chat and wanting to talk.
However, after hearing the bell ringing, I headed to the left classroom quite hastily, and actually excited to talk to someone.
As I reached the vast room and tried to open it, the doorknob wouldn’t budge.
No Taehyung was found nearby, thus no friend. So I waited. I didn't get my book out, didn't avert my look away from the staircase of the floor, and just sat there patiently waiting for his arrival.
But it didn't happen for the whole lunch break, and my last hope vanished when I heard the bell peal. 
Confusion struck me again. Did he even come that day? We didn't come across each other generally, neither on that day, so I couldn't be sure. Maybe he got sick? Or maybe he went with other friends of his out of college?
Those were the most probable explanations, so I nodded in confirmation. And although it was disappointing, I stood up and headed to the classroom again. On the way there, I thought about the brunet even more; if he did go out with other peers, then why would he do it on a day we were supposed to meet on? But if he fell ill, then it is radically not his fault. 
N-no, I didn't rather him being sick than being out with other people, I just felt like it fit more, somehow..

The next day, I didn't care about other students noticing me going to the abandoned laboratory. I merely wanted to see Taehyung, and to make up for the time we didn't spend together on the previous day. 
The door was creaked open by the time I reached it, so I enlarged the gap between it and the wall to enter, and as I did, Taehyung lifted his head with a faint smile. Confusingly enough, he was wearing a long-sleeved shirt, its colour blue. 
"Hi.”
"Hello." replied I "You didn't come yesterday, so I came to make sure you are alright." his beam grew a tad bigger at that.
"I'm sorry for making you worry." Worry? Did I really worry about him? I wasn't allowed to, though. Mother had always told me not to get concerned about anyone's wellbeing except for mine, so I tried not to. But I couldn't deny that I feared for Taehyung a bit. "I just fell sick." 
"Oh." I felt somewhat relief mixed along with more worry. "Are you alright now?" he nodded leisurely.
"It was a mere cold. I usually recover quickly from these." his recovery was too fast, but I decided not to doubt him and nodded instead.
"So you stayed in bed for the whole day?" he nodded again.
"It was quite boring, staying alone and bed stricken."
"Didn't a friend of yours keep you company?" asked I as I sat on a chair next to him. 
"Uhm.." he messed his black hairs a tad "My friends can't really come see me." I didn't want to be inquisitive, so I didn't ask for further explanation, yet he carried on either way. "The only proper acquaintance I have at college is you. Outside this cursed building, I have three people that I could call friends; a little girl, a waiter at a café, and previously a maid that worked at the house I used to live in." 
"I see." he didn't seem to be bothered by the topic, so I asked him a question related to it. "Why did you move out?"
 Silence.
"I live with my uncle, and he changes houses every now and then." I felt befuddled.
"What about  your parents?"
"Dead."
"O-oh, I.." apologizing wasn't going to make up for what I did, reaching to a sensitive spot in his heart, that is. But what else could I do "I am greatly sorry." he shook his head.
"It's okay. They died when I was a kid still, so I got used to this situation."
"Um, father died as well." his eyes grew a centimetre bigger at that " I don't know whether telling you this would be of..any good, but I wanted to..let you know that..w-" a soft chuckle from him stopped my words from being uttered. Again, it was somehow calming.
"You're quite odd. But I am grateful for that." why? "If you weren't like this, we couldn't have possibly became friends." his grin got a tad wider "I really am grateful."
"I am thankful because you were persistent as well." he shook his head.
"I'm just happy that someone believes me here." I was satisfied to had been a good addition to his life. 
"Yes." 
Silence enveloped the room for a tad.
"By the by, did anyone around bother you?" I shook my head to that.
"And candidly, I wanted to tell you something, in regards of that." he nodded "to be frank,  I don't mind people seeing me with you."  his brows knit at the declaration.
"We can't go around together in front of the other students, the situation will be grave." he received no response "I solely wish for nothing unfortunate to happen to you. Being targeted in college has too many insufferable consequences. Even professors become adversaries." I didn't know that it was of such severity, and from his actions, Taehyung didn't seem like he was lying. His tone was a second proof.
"Alright. What about outside college then?" I prayed that he wouldn't decline.
"Well" he looked hesitantly at me "I think so." my eyes relaxed instantly.
"Thank you." that was indeed a privilege. 

Thursday came already, and classes ended just as fast.
I was standing in the usual corner at the subway, waiting for the train.
Thankfully, the weather wasn't as bothersome as it had been the days previous to it, owing to a  refreshing breeze. Autumn had been late enough by then, after all.
I was checking a list of books that mother had recommended for me a while beforehand when I heard a faint voice calling my name.
The whisper's owner was standing right next to me, even closer than he had ever been to me till then.
"Oh, Taehyung, are you going home already?" he told me that he usually stays around the area for a bit longer after classes the previous Saturday.
"Yes.”
"Is that so?" he nodded "How are you going to pass the rest of the day ,then?"
"Probably will head to a flower shop or a park." It sounded enjoyable. Most young adolescents prefer famous boisterous places to have fun in “What about you?"
"I guess that I will go back home."   
"Oh." silence "Wouldn’t you want to come along?" 
Could I?
"I don't know. Mother..she wouldn't approve." he lifted his head in understanding.
"Is she home already?"
"She probably  is at our home back in our country already, yes." he looked confused for the nth time.
"You were sent to study abroad, I presume?" oh yes, I forgot to tell him beforehand.
"Yes, I forgot to tell you. I am a scholarship student.” he nodded.
"If you would come, she wouldn’t possibly know, right?" it was true, but still, I couldn't go over yet another barrier. "It would be pleasurable if you would." should I?
"I don't know." I stared at the ground, my decision yet to be chosen.
"I don't want to pressure you." but I wanted to go, and it was my proper decision to make.
"Um, is it too far away from the X area's foyer?"
"The flower shop is there, actually." 
'Should I go?' a thought that roamed my head for too long, and the sound of the train's arrival added even more anxiety. But as Taehyung said, it was supposedly free of risks, even a new experience.  
"..Alright, I will come along." his face brightened up a few shades.
"Great" said he in a usual monotone voice before entering the train "Let's go then.”


The shop wasn't far away from the foyer, just as Taehyung said.
 The place was small, compared to the other ones surrounding it. It was actually located in a shop district, encumbered by a variation of stores ,restaurants, even pharmacies. The neon colours radiating from the numerous signboards could rob sights if stared at for too long. Greasy smells filled the roads as well, and overshadowed the flowers' fronting us.
"Is it your first time coming here?"  his question stopped my daydreaming.
"Oh, no." I went there frequently for quick grocery shopping.
"Why are you staring at the surroundings with such passion then?" 
"I have never taken my time to look at them while shopping here. I come and leave as rapidly as doable."
"I see." said he with a nod. "Anyway, this is the flower shop." I blinked in understanding before glancing at the place; some cactus pots were pending from the ceiling, and different flowers decorated the entry with their flamboyant colours. "The little girl that I had mentioned today is the owner's daughter. Her name is Emma. She's a good child, and very friendly. Do you want to spend time here with her?" 
Yet another barrier to break.
"Sure."
As we entered, a tall woman welcomed us with a hospitable beam, her green eyes turning into crescents in the process.  
"Hello, Mr Kim! How are you today?" 
"Fine, thank you. What about you and Emma?" 
"We are doing well, too. Although, someone is mad because they got a bad grade in a certain exa-"
"No, I'm not!!" a girl at around ten years old came from behind a curtain, her red and voluminous pig tails flowing as she shook her head, a pout on her full lips and a tint of pink intruded the fair colour of her puffy cheeks.
Taehyung chuckled along with the mother as I watched.
"It's okay, I get angry over my grades all the time too." said he as he neared her and patted her head.
"Really?" her  emerald eyes grew bigger at that, but then her brows knit again “I am NOT though." emphasized the kid.
"Even so, I will tutor you for your next science exam as we promised, okay?"
"But-but I don't need that.." she shuffled with her green skirt's tissue.
"Don't decline such a fine offer, now, Emma. You need to either study outside of school or focus in class from now on." uttered the mother.
"But I hate science, I only like arts' education!" 
"If you try to understand its whereabouts, maybe you will change your mind! Remember what you used to think of karaoke?" 
Defeated, the girl only nodded while wiggling her upper body left and right. Slowly, she lifted her head towards me.
"And who is she, Tae?"
"That is a new friend! Her name is Sivilla." 
"Nice to meet you, Sivilla!"
"Nice to meet you as well." I didn't know what else to say or do; 'Was I supposed to shake her hand? Or maybe I should merely smile.'
And so did I. She mimicked my beam, as well as Taehyung.
"She is a shy one, huh?" I panicked at the mother's comment. I couldn't smile again, neither could I ignore her. So I apologized.
"I'm sorry." they all stood silent for a tad, only for her to break the stillness.
"And a cute one too! " laughter again.
"Um, excuse me! Could you help me please?" a girl called out of the store.
"Oh, it must be a client, I should get going. Could you keep Emma company, please?"
"No need to ask." the child smiled at Taehyung's words then looked at me.
"What do you like to do?" I pointed at myself questionably. "Yes, you, Sivilla!"
"Ummm... I like..reading." 
"Reading?” She put an index on her chin, humming in thought “ I like comic books too! I like them full of drawings and colours."
"Everyone has their own preference, I guess." wanting to get attention away from me, I asked her the same question "What about you?"
"I love flowers, running, drawing, flowers, karaoke with Tae, potatoes, mom, dad, and flowers!"  she counted slowly with her fingers as she uttered the things she likes. And considering that she repeated flowers too many times, I presumed that she liked them the most.
"I like flowers too." said I.
"Great! We can try growing one together, like Tae and I did." she pointed at a small pot in which were baby's breath. 
"Yes, sure. I would like to learn that." a genuine smile was shown on my face as I accepted the innocent one's offer, causing her to squeal and jump in glee.
"Can we go to karaoke together along with Sivilla next time, Tae?" her pleading eyes forced an approval out of us.
"Okay, next time then." I looked at my wristwatch; 18:30. I vacillatingly nudged Taehyung quietly. "What is it?"
"It's late already, I ought to go home." the latter lifted his head in understanding. "Goodbye then-"
"No I will come with you."  I was about to protest, only he shut me by putting his index on his own mouth "No objections." 
"Going home already?" said the place's owner from behind us. "But it's still early."
"Yes, we have to go."
"Okay, hope you will arrive safely. Come back again, Sivilla!"
"I will think about it." I smiled lightly.
"Goodbye, Sivilla, Tae!"
We waved back at the mother and her daughter before heading to the dorm.

We walked silently, the sky dark orange above us.
"Did you have fun today?" I looked at the brunet "I mean, were you bored, by any chance?"
"No, the visit was pleasant, the girl and the mother were hospitable and nice too." 
"I am glad." to be candid, I shared his feelings.
The foyer could already be seen.
"Thank you for today." said I as we neared the building.
"I should be the one grateful. I pressured you into something radically new to you, but I hope that it was an experience of good influence on you."  he didn't really force me though. And even if he did, I enjoyed the evening.
"It was, don't fret." his tensed jaws relaxed, and his emotionless eyes became of a hint of contentment.
"Okay, good night then."
"See you tomorrow." did I mean it? Maybe. Was it going to happen? Probably. Did I hope so? Most certainly.