More details.

Rebirth


Sunday was spent indoors, as usual.
I studied, read books, had a relaxing shower in the bathhouse behind the foyer. Although we have showers at the dorm, I merely couldn’t feel comfort when bathing in such an encumbered yet private place , so I put some effort into the matter to finally find a bathhouse nearby, which wasn’t expensive either. 

Monday came eventually.
I went to college at early morning, the chemise I was wearing granting a perfect temperature to my frail body.
Hours passed, and lunch time came eventually, so I went to the laboratory.
It became a habit by then.
I entered, finding Taehyung in there, expectedly, a book in hand.
We only talked for a bit, conversing about the weather, and about lunch.
I told him that I don’t eat lunch, due to having pretty satiating breakfasts.
Apparently, he doesn’t have it because he just doesn’t enjoy eating in college, so he has only two big meals on school days.
He even told me a number of jokes that he took in beforehand, which didn’t fail to make me laugh.
I felt as if I were talking to a..person. A full human, able to have fun, and apt of being called a friend.
I cherished it. Yet I was inquisitive; why did mother never let me experience such a feeling? She told me to never get attached to livings, but doing so didn’t feel bad, it even felt right. It brought sincere glee while being with my friend, and candid excitement to talk to him too. He even acquainted me to good people, I simply could not want more, but an answer to a question that lingered in my head for too long; why did mother deprive me from feeling that way?

We crossed roads on the way home again.
“Oh, Taehyung.”  He lifted his chin as a greeting. “Are you going home?”
“I don’t know yet. Why are you asking?”
“Um, if it wouldn’t be a disturbance of course, could you, uh, accompany me to the flower shop?” I didn’t hold my hopes high.
“Sure.” I blinked faster than normal.
“O-oh, thank you so much.” 
“You thank me too much.”
“Well, etiquette is importa-“
“It is, but only with strangers. There is no need for that between us.” Is it?
“I see. But you are nice to me so how else should I show gratitude to you?”  Silence.
“Our friendship is enough.” Although his eyes still looked empty, they were diverted to his side.
“I see.” He did say that he didn’t have many friends, so I presumed that he said the truth.
The train arrived then, so we entered, thankfully finding vacant seats.

Few minutes later, we arrived to the flower shop, the owners greeted us as lively as always.
“Sivilla, won’t you help me water our plant today?” her pleading eyes earned a direct approval.
“Yes, just teach me how to.” Of course I knew the right method of irrigation; I merely wanted to make the girl feel confident and more at ease with me.
“Okay!” she took a watering can, then gave it to me, so I held it in my hands. “Now just learn.” She put her hands on mine, their sizes were nearly equal to say the least, then she tilted the can towards the buried seed’s spot. The water droplets started pouring down from the holes of the container, getting absorbed fast by the soil. The action lasted for only a bit. “Try to do it on your own now.”
I nodded then did as she told me. More water dropped down.
“She is an attentive student, right?” the red head nodded at Taehyung. “Why don’t you try to be like her and let me help you with science then?” her cheerful face faded quickly.
“I don’t want to..” the male grinned at her.
“Pouting will not stop it from happening, so let’s start it and finish fast, wouldn’t that be better?” a heavy sigh could be heard.
“Okay..”

For the next minutes, Taehyung and Emma reviewed a few science lessons, which were quite unchallenging for science juniors such as us, and did applications as well.  
Taehyung didn’t seem to have difficulties with it; not at all. He could even do well as a tutor. In the mean while, I sat near them along with Mrs Clair, who shared with me her knowledge about cactus plants and information concerning the district. I didn’t know that there was a library in the vicinity, neither a shop dedicated solely to socks. 
“Okay, we’ve finished!” said Emma, hopping from side to side. “Can I go with Tae to karaoke? Oh, and Sivilla too! Please, mom..”  Taehyung looked at me, before diverting his eyes back to the girl.
“Let’s do that tomorrow, so that we would stay much, alright?” she pouted at that.
“But why? I did everything as you wanted.” he glanced at me once again.
“Sivilla has to go home already, so if you want her to accompany us, she wouldn’t be able to.” Declared he with an apologetic smile.
My eyes got a tad wider.
“No, no! It’s alright, I can stay-“
“Don’t force yourself to!” uttered the kid, her hand placed on my forearm.
“Yes please,” agreed the mother “Some of us have strict parents, and if it’s the case for you too, then I do very much understand. You can go to karaoke another day, right?”  I nodded.
“I appreciate your thoughtfulness, thank you.” She nodded, her thin lips curving up.

Taehyung accompanied me to the dorm, as usual.
“Sivilla,” I looked at him “wouldn’t you mind coming with us tomorrow?”
“..Mother would probably decline.” But then it was one more boundary to break, yet still was within the limits of my welfare. “But if it’s with you, then it will be fine.” Right? After all, he acquainted me to the few fun things I knew by then, while looking after me all the while, even reminding me of mother’s protection. 
He immediately diverted his orbs away from mine, lips in, then nodded slowly, and I couldn’t know why.
“Um, also, I have been thinking about something for a while.” I blinked in understanding “Could you do me a favor?” him putting trust in me was indeed splendid.
“Yes.”
“Consider not telling your mother about me. She would undoubtedly get mad.” I nodded.
“I promise.”
“I mean,” he cleared his throat “it’s best for you. Not making her upset with you, that is.”
“I see. Thank you.”
We stayed silent for the rest of the way, then bid farewell to each other.

The next day, I went to the library to spend my break at, considering that I needed to do a brief research, praying for fortune to be on my side and let Taehyung and I cross roads after college.
Indeed, my prayers were accepted.
“Hi, Sivilla.”
“Good afternoon.” I paused “I apologize because I didn’t meet you today, I went to-“
“You don’t have to excuse yourself, being friends doesn’t necessitate spending each minute together.”  I lifted my head in understanding.
“I used to always stay with my year companions, so I thought it would the same with you.” He shrugged.
“Quality over quantity, right?” that was a sure thing.

Few minutes passed before we finally reached our destination. 
“Good evening!” we responded with a smile.
“Finally! I was waiting for you to go to karaoke.” The child’s eyes scintillated bright in anticipation.
“Sure, we were too, so let’s get going.”

We walked a bit before reaching another shop on which was a neon blue signboard that read ‘Show it off’.
We entered the building to be greeted by a young receptionist.
“Welcome!” Taehyung nodded at her, “ How may I be of service?”
“A room for three, please.”
“Just a second.” As the worker searched through a box, Emma called Taehyung before giving him some coins from within her pocket.
“Let those for yourself, I will pay.” He turned at me “The bill for all of us is on me.”
“No, I can pay for myself.” He was on the verge of protesting “ I insist.” A sigh escaped his nostrils.
“As you wish.” 
I wandered in my bag for a bit then gave him the required money.
After paying, the receptionist handed Taehyung a badge on which was written the number of our room.
“Enjoy!”

And there were we, in a dark room, a microphone in each one’s hand, and a screen lit in front of us.
“Do you know how it goes?” I nodded at the male.
“I made some research.”
“Okay then, I want to sing ‘breaking free’!” that was what I feared.
“Do you know it?”
“I..I apologize, I don’t.”
“Okay, what about happy by Pharrell Williams?” I shook my head at the girl again.
“What about believer?” the name sounded familiar.
“I guess.” Responded I ,uncertainly.
Taehyung tapped a few times on the keyboard before him, previous to some words appearing on the screen. Shortly later, music started playing. Although, it wasn’t near to the classical hits I am used to.
“I am not sure about knowing the lyrics.”
“Just try to mimic us!” 
“A-alright!”
“First things first I..”  the other two started, so I tried to imitate the notes they sang and to read the words as fast as doable. My voice even cracked a few times.
And yet, as I did, I felt comfort, and a feeling of liberation. I had never used my voice on such a loud note until that day, and I, for the first time, didn’t find the act to be vulgar. 
The scene got repeated many times that evening.

“It wasn’t a total fail.”
“Yeah! You did well, right, Tae?” I beamed at their kind words “That was even better than my first time.”
“It was puzzling, but I managed to sing a bit, even though my voice didn’t fit the songs quite well. Thank you for your guidance.”
“My voice isn’t all that good either.” That was indeed a lie. Taehyung’s deep voice was perfectly compatible to the songs. Even though he screamed too much, it was obvious that his voice could pass as a singer’s. Either way, I decided not to refer to it. 
We were at the flower shop’s entrance by then.
“Oh there you are!” greeted the mother. 
“Yes, but we should get going now.” She nodded as she took Emma’s little hand from Taehyung’s.
“Have a safe trip then.”

We moved our legs leisurely. 
“Did you find the experience pleasing?”
“Yes, very.”  
“That’s great, truly.” He displayed a familiar thin-lined smile.
“I feel like I lost part in the conversations though.” He nodded.
“You know, when you are with people and they talk together, you can join their conversation even if they don’t invite you.” My lips uncontrollably pouted.
“I don’t know how though..” he hummed before talking again.
“You say that you read a lot of books, so try out things that imaginary characters from them do, but efficiently, and cleverly.” ….why couldn’t I think of such an idea? Even though they aren’t real, the characters' actions and contacts happen through our daily lives.
“Yes..it might be helpful. Thank you.”
“And stop thanking me, please.”

We met on Wednesday as well, only that I came earlier that day.
“Hello.” 
“Hey.” Replied he “You came earlier today.” 
“The professor had a meeting, so he left a bit before the bell rang.” He nodded, then opened the door.
“Well, I forgot my book, so I don’t know what to kill time with.”
“Oh really?” I thought for a bit “Why don’t you revise the lessons you studied?” he clicked his tongue.
“That’s a waste. I will fail the year either way.”  My brows knit at that. 
“You aren’t..stupid, per say.” He shook his head.
“I am not. I just want to fail this year too, and then I would be free.”
“Free?” he sat silent for a bit.
“Were you the one to choose studying science?” 
“No. I couldn’t make a choice on my own.” He scoffed.
“I expected that.”
“But I don’t dislike mother’s choice either. I got interested in the subject, even fond of it. Learning about the human body, about other forms of life, about the very roots of existence; it is undoubtedly but a fascinating matter.” His orbs held even less emotions than they usually do.
“Good for you.” Silence.
“Why did you ask?”
“..Well I didn’t choose to study science either; uncle did. He only saw my potential in science and forced me into something that I am good at, but profoundly hate.” his right brow twitched in resentment.
“You said that you are good at science, so why do you think that you will fail?” he arched his back for a more comfortable position, eyes diverted away from me.
“If a student fails three consecutive years, he would get expelled of the university, and banned from studying the same branch again. So that’s what I am planning to do; and thus, become free.” I could see through his plain words deep agony, yet hope still.
“So that is why you are a centre of rumors?” 
“Well,” he chuckled “that, and also an incident.”  I wandered what he meant by the last word. 
“..Incident?” this time, he straightened his back then inhaled deeply.
“At the end of my first year’s first semester, a..wicked professor called out to me during lunch break. She was a science professor, in her late twenties, long black hair, pretty face, good shape, constantly ogled by her co-workers and specially students. She told me that she can help me get good grades, and in exchange grant her pleasure.” ..
“Sorry, but I don’t understand what she asked from yo-“
“She fell in lust with me.” I could sense blood rushing through my face at the response, and I could see his hand massaging his temple from the corner of my eyes. Nonetheless, I nodded. “A-anyways, I couldn’t answer out of befuddlement, but she came closer- and we were alone in the classroom- and she started u-ing her shirt and touching me, s-so I tried to stop her and the only way my brain could think of is to tuck her hands behind her head and screamed at her to stop.. only that the sounds brought attention and thus students came in barging, and saw us.” He paused “Of course, she shed crocodile tears, and told them that I was the one who attempted to.. her. Thankfully, my uncle has connections so I got out of the problem unharmed..or so did I think.” 
I fell in a loss of words. How could I possibly help him? Was comforting enough for the bit?
I thought so.
“I am so sorry. People of our time are senseless, and only deem what is to their liking to be the truth…I hope that they would know their flaws too.” He nodded slightly, hand on his cheek, his brown pupils lost in the tile beneath his feet.
“Sivilla,” he looked at me, orbs fixated on mine “do you believe me fully?” putting a hand on someone’s back is a trivial physical contact that is meant for moral support, as I read in many books, so I tried it.
“Of course.” My immediate answer gained a nod from him.
“Thank you.” He, for the first time, showed a rectangular shaped smile, well-lined teeth fully on display, and eyes turning into crescents “Thank you so much.”