Someone New

Always Love You

"Hey, Kibum. How are things?" Jinki asks with a concerned look on his face.

Even in the moonlight, Jinki looked more handsome than ever. He had changed into a white crewneck shirt underneath the thick plaid coat that he had since they were in school. It amazed Kibum that it could still fit him perfectly after all these years. His hair looked kept--as if he had fluffed it up with his hands before Kibum had answered the door. His work boots and ragged jeans made him look like a tough farmer, which totally betrayed his baby face. Kibum could see that the cold air was making his cheeks redder and more adorable than usual. How handsome Jinki looked made him all the more conscious about his own outfit. Somehow, the old pajamas and cozy robe he was wearing was making him feel so frumpy. Little did he know that his soft look was making Jinki's heart flutter, too. 

"Uh... Halmeoni is doing better... Appa is with her. They're both sleeping now."

An awkward silence fills the air as both men stood face-to-face. Kibum didn't really know what else to say after that, and Jinki felt an impending need to explain himself. The older man's tired voice almost cracked as he spoke. "I told Taemin to tell you I would drop by as soon as I finished some work on the farm. Did he tell you?"

"Yeah, he did... I just didn't think that you would really come over," Kibum replies, still flustered. 

"Why not?"

"It's past two in the morning, Jinki," Kibum says, closing his robe tighter around himself. "You should get some rest."

"I know... But I won't be able to sleep anyway, thinking of how things are over here. I know you won't be able to sleep either. Might as well keep each other company..."

Kibum shifts his head to the side and stares intently at Jinki. It wasn't weird for friends to suddenly drop by at all hours but this wasn't just any friend. Seeing Jinki at his home at weird hours in the morning brought back so many memories, and it was overwhelming. Even if deep down he was really excited, the young man felt reluctant to let him in.

"Are you really going to make me stand here or do I have to sneak in through your bedroom window like I used to?" Jinki says, chuckling at his own joke. His unique sense of humor hadn't changed in all these years.

The young man leaves the door wide open as he heads back toward the couch. "Fine. Suit yourself. But I'm warning you. I'm not very good company right now."

Kibum slumps back down onto the couch, pretending to be interested in the inane infomercial that was playing. He started to scold himself quietly when he notices that his heart slightly skipped a beat when Jinki came in and closed the door behind him. The older man stands beside the couch and stares at the television with his hands at his waist. 

"Knife set, huh? Riveting."

"Are you here to judge me or keep me company?" Kibum says without any emotion in his voice. He thanked his stars that city living made him a master of hiding his emotions through any stressful situation. 

The older man chuckles, taking a seat on the opposite end of the couch. "I'm just teasing. Those are pretty good knives, you know. I bought Eomma a set a couple of years ago and they're still sharp... See? You're not the only reason I stay up at night."

Kibum musters the courage to say something as he changes the channel over and over and over, creating a steady flashing light in the living room. "You didn't have to come here."

"I know. I wanted to."

"Jinki," Kibum says. "This is really nice and all, and I appreciate you. I do. But maybe we should pump the brakes a bit."

"On what? I'm just trying to watch TV with you if you could only settle on a channel," Jinki says, pointing towards the screen, trying to act dumb. He knew exactly what the young man was talking about and he wished so bad that the confrontation wasn't happening at all. 

"I'm serious," Kibum replies sternly, finally turning the set off to be able to look Jini in the eye. "You blew off your entire day to be with me and my family, and now that you've taken care of things on your end, you're back here with me. Minho and Taemin, they're there for me too... But not like this. Given our history, don't you think we're dancing on dangerous territory?"

"I'm just trying to make it up to a good friend."

Kibum eyes him skeptically, not sure if he was willing to believe him at this point. 

"It's the truth, Kibum," Jinki says. "I'm not like the other people in your life that you just happened to lose touch with because you got busy. We purposely haven't talked for so many years. You were my best friend, too. I'm just trying to make up for all that lost time. I promise."

"Okay," Kibum replies, convinced that Jinki didn't want anything more. The young man blushes, a bit embarrassed that he got the wrong idea and even announced it. Not wanting to lean into feeling like a fool, he thinks of a quick way to change the topic. He relaxes into the comfortable cushions of the couch and was eager to talk about anything other than what was happening. "So what did you do when you were away?"

"Nothing interesting," Jinki says, getting comfortable himself. He crosses his leg and starts to ramble on about his different responsibilities for the business. "I needed to take stock of certain things and update some files, send some emails to clients, that sort of thing. It's boring, really. I hate doing it if I'm being honest."

"Then hire someone else to do it," Kibum says, growing more and more comfortable by the minute. "You're stable enough to do that, right? Just hire someone else and your problem is solved." Jinki's presence and voice were so soothing. It comforted him so much.

"That's funny. You and Eomma said the same thing. She keeps seeing me struggle and it annoys her so much. But the thing is, I really don't want to hire another person to take care of all that stuff for me. It's my business, so I should be the one to do it. I don't feel comfortable letting anyone else know about information as sensitive as that, you know what I mean? I really think that it's better for me to keep things close, at least for now. The business isn't that big that I need to hire someone devoted to administrative work when I'm capable of doing it. Right? Don't you think so, Kibum? Kibum...?"

He looks over to see the younger man fast asleep, with his head slumped over to the side. His chin was almost touching his chest and was snoring lightly. It amazed the older man how quickly Kibum had fallen into a deep sleep. He must have been so tired.

Jinki smiles, taking a moment to stare. It was strange, the way that he felt so content in this moment, simply watching Kibum's chest rise and fall with each breath. If it was possible, Kibum looked even younger than he did back then. His porcelain skin made him look even more delicate as he slept. The older man stands up and takes the blanket on the couch, carefully draping it over Kibum. The young man sighs and shifts his body into a more comfortable position with Jinki watching on lovingly.

"I'm sorry I lied. You'll never be just a friend to me," Jinki whispers as he gently Kibum's cheek with the back of his hand. "Sleep well, Kibum."

*****

It was hard not to think about what happened the night before. Kibum woke up with a smile on his face, asking himself if it was all just a dream. He woke up to the sounds of his Eomma making breakfast and rose from one of the best slumbers he had in such a long time. The last thing he remembered was Jinki talking about his business. The older man must have slipped out as soon as he drifted off. He felt so embarrassed... Again. 

He was hoping that he would run into Jinki again this morning before he showed up for lunch with the others. Kibum just wanted to apologize in private. There was no way that he was planning to let on to Minho and Taemin about last night. They would never let him hear the end of it.

Kibum was almost at the store when he sees a familiar silhouette in the distance. At first, he thought his wish had come true but it was too tiny a figure to have been Jinki. Or Minho. Or Taemin. The young man squints his eyes to see more clearly and is surprised by who it is. The figure comes closer into view and feels a bit of irritation rising up his throat.

"What are you doing here?"

The other person smiles meekly, embarrassed at being spotted so soon. "Hello, Kibum-ssi. I'm sorry... Is this awkward? I had a trip scheduled here beforehand as part of my piece about you. I had no idea that you would be here too. I promise I didn't. I'm a journalist; not paparazzi."

Kibum looks at him intently, quietly searching his face. "Jonghyun-ssi, I know that you are doing your job but I have to tell you that this feels very intrusive. This is really not a good time for me and my family..."

"I heard," he says, the stress showing on his face. "I really am sorry about this. If this was any other story, I would just leave and give you privacy but the editors told me that they plan to feature you on the front page. The story has gotten big and my deadline is drawing nearer so you see, there's not much that I can do about the situation... I'll do my best to keep out of your hair."

"Me? Frontpage of The Times? Don't be ridiculous," 

"Yes," Jonghyun says with a smile. "An inspiring story like yours is just what my editors are looking for."

Kibum's expression does not budge at all. Frontpage or not, he did not appreciate being ambushed like this at all. 

"I'm not a bad guy, I just have a job to do... You understand that right?" Jonghyun continues, hoping not to anger Kibum. "If it helps, the minute you think I'm being inappropriate, you can call my boss. Here."

The journalist hands him a business card with the name and number of a person that he didn't know. "He's the person I report to directly. You can complain to him about me, but I'll make sure you won't have to."

Kibum takes the card and puts it in his pocket. "I guess you can stay. But my family is off-limits okay? We're going through a lot right now."

The older man smiles, completely relieved. He was half-ready to be shouted at and told to leave. Being in the same place as the person he was reporting on wasn't ideal, but it was better than having to go back empty-handed. "I can't say that I'm not disappointed about that but I understand. Okay... I'll take it. I'll try to stay out of your way then..."

"This town is way too small but good luck with that," Kibum says, huffing away. "Bye, Jonghyun-ssi."

The younger man exhales sharply as he walks away, immediately regretting how unwelcome he made Jonghyun feel. It was just so irritating. On top of everything that he had to deal with, it was tough to accept that he had to keep up appearances for a publication. But there was no excuse for being rude. He was raised better than that. Kibum secures the large canvas bag on his shoulder and rolls his eyes as he turns back around. 

"Wait--Jonghyun-ssi. I apologize... I didn't mean to seem so rude. I'm making lunch for my family and some friends in a few hours... Why don't you drop by?"

"That's very kind of you but are you sure? I don't want to impose..." 

"Yeah, I'm sure. I live just down the block... It's the house with the small gate and dead plants. Just ask around if you get lost. Everyone knows everyone around here," he says, as he starts to walk away. 

"O-of course. Thank you, Kibum-ssi. Thank you for your kindness," Jonghyun says, bowing furiously.

"See you at lunch," he says as he starts to walk away. 

*****

"Thanks for coming over to pick me up," Jinki says as he and their youngest hop out of his truck. "If you hadn't come around, I would have totally missed lunch."

"You need one of those noisy watches, Hyung," Taemin replies. "The ones that beep every hour? So that you stop losing track of time! You work too hard."

"No, I don't," the older man protests. "Sometimes work piles up, that's all."

"Every day isn't sometimes," Taemin says, giggling. "Kibum Hyung would have been really upset if you missed today. You owe me."

Jinki scratches his head as Taemin happily hops along to the Kim's front door. He was really excited to see Kibum again, especially after last night. He didn't get a wink of sleep as thoughts of Kibum kept haunting him but he didn't mind. Things seemed to fall into place and go back to the normalcy that he loved after all these years. The older man wasn't this happy in a long while.

"We're here," Taemin shouts as he bursts through the front door. "What's for lunch?"

The older man stops in his tracks as he hears an unfamiliar voice booming in the house. It was a tone that he didn't recognize at all. Was someone else there? He turns the corner to find a stranger laughing it up with Minho and Kibum. 

"Hey, guys! You're finally here! Jonghyun-ssi, these are my childhood friends Lee Taemin and Lee Jinki. Guys, this is Kim Jonghyun-ssi from The Times," Kibum says quickly, as he gets back to the kitchen. Bows and polite smiles were made towards each other at the introduction. And a knot immediately formed in Jinki's stomach. "Lunch will be ready soon, so take a seat. Taeminnie, can you help me bring the food out?"

"Jonghyun-ssi is here to do a story on Kibum. Isn't that exciting?" Minho says. 

"Oh! Wow," Jinki replies, completely relieved that the new guy was a formal acquaintance. "So you're a writer? That's great! Everyone in town will be so excited."

"You all must be proud of Kibum-ssi," Jonghyun says shyly. The new environment was a bit unnerving, but the friendly reception was heartwarming. He felt comfortable with the boys almost immediately. 

"You can say that again," Minho says. "I lucked out that I'm friends with the number one and number two sons of our province."

"Who's the second?"

"Do you know Fifth Town Artisan Cheese?" Kibum bellows proudly. "Our Jinki single-handedly revolutionized cheese-making."

Jinki smiles shyly as he gets up to check if Kibum needed any more help. Talking to Jonghyun seemed tedious, and there was something about him that made Jinki uneasy. Besides, all he wanted was to spend time with the person that he came here for.

"Do I have to, Hyung? But it's too hot and it's too heavy," Taemin says pouting his lips. "Make Minho Hyung do it."

"Let me," Jinki says, magically appearing in the kitchen all of a sudden. "I can carry it out." 

"Thanks, JInki Hyung!" Taemin exclaims as he skips towards the dining table, happy that he is free from doing another chore. 

"Thank you," Kibum says shyly, trying not to let on how happy he was to see Jinki again. The older man walks towards the pot as Kibum hands him some holders to shield his hands. "I'm so sorry that I fell asleep... I didn't even realize that you had left. Thank you for keeping me company."

"Don't apologize," Jinki replies. "I'm happy that you got to rest. You need it."

"How about you? Did you get to sleep well?"

Before he could answer, Minho's voice breaks through their secret moment. "Kib! Is it going to be much longer? I'm starving!"

They both laugh at Minho's voracious appetite, as Jinki slips the potholders in his hands and carries the food with ease. 

"Hey, before we go back out there, who is that guy?"

"Oh, sorry about that," Kibum explains as he starts to walk to the table. "I'll tell you guys about it over lunch. He's harmless. I swear."

Jinki huffs and mutters under his breath. "He better be."