+ Winter_Bear_Chapter_5 +

Winter Bear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author’s POV

Away from the busy life downtown sits a cafe which is not only patronized by locals but also by tourists and foreigners who has to a take trip uptown just to visit. Placed in a bit secluded alley, its popularity was not only brought upon its great coffee and menu but mostly because of its rustic interior design which exudes a homey feeling. In that small and cozy cafe are nine people who seemed to have the whole place to themselves, obviously seeking privacy. Ligned up in the far right corner, are four squared wooden tables purposely moved to accomodate all nine of them. 

 

Walls in tan and cream, the cafe is decorated mainly with flowers and plants in pots and walls. With a few farmhouse components like jars and vintage milk crates and furnitures that are mix of wood types, mostly of reclaimed wood and wicker elements—all surrounded with farmhouse and cage lightings—makes the cafe manifest a strong in-the-woods feel. With the misty rain tapping on the windows, in rhythm with the soft and chill music playing in the background, the cafe is the perfect place to seek warmth and serenity. However, just as how the sun was covered with darkened clouds, the atmosphere in the cafe was filled with melancholy. With worried glances thrown from each side, everyone seemed to be shifting uncomfortably in their seats. 

 

“You really told him everything?” Yongsun asked Jimin who appeared to be the most uneasy of them all. At that question, all the other boys casted confused looks between him and the three girls. 

 

“Told Taehyung what?” Namjoon asked. “Does this something had to do with Taehyung’s decision of leaving the group?” 

 

“Taehyung’s what?” Hyejin blurted out. “He’s retiring?” 

 

“Yes, he’d been planning on it since little angel’s 4th birthday party. They established successful businesses already and he thinks it’s enough for his family to live on by without him continuing in his career. He never really told us exactly why but I think it’s safe to say he’s doing it for his family.” Yoongi answered. 

 

“We just had a farewell party for him yesterday and Jimin here didn’t come” Hoseok added. Tilting his head, he turned his head to Jimin and asked, “Now, I’d been very curious but I didn’t say anything as I don’t want to come off as invasive, but why have you been ignoring Taehyung since he informed us of his decision?” 

 

Everyone turned their gazes at Jimin who sighed and brushed his hair up, readying himself for something huge. He leaned in at the table,  rested his arms on it, fingers interlocked, and met every pair of eyes glued at him. The moment Taehyung left his place after having told of the truth, he’d come in a decision to tell everyone as well and Taehyung fortunately agreed to it. 

 

No more secrets, no more white lies. Just the plain truth of everything he knows. 

 

“Guilt finally ate Taehyung up” he said, a blank yet firm expression on his face. “Quitting had already been on his mind for years since Wheein did. Why? Because he felt like he’s being selfish. Being on stage is not just his dream but of Wheein’s as well and when she left, he felt like he needed to do it just as she did. After all, Wheein did it because of her pregnancy, right? Because of her daughter? So basically, she did it for their family.” 

 

The boys tore their gazes away from him, slowly nodding their heads. Jimin met the eyes of the girls who had wary looks on their faces, eyebrows furrowed and eyes twinkling with worry. The three exchanged knowing looks before Hyejin finally turned her eyes at him and nodded her head in approval. They also think it’s a good idea to tell everybody else since Taehyung have already learned of the truth. Jimin sighed, thinned his lips and readied himself for the boys’ unpredictable reactions. 

 

“Or so you guys thought” he continued. 

 

As if on slow motion, the boys shifted their gazes on him; confusion deeply etched in their faces. 

 

“What do you mean by that?” Jungkook asked. 

 

“Wheein’s decision of quitting wasn’t voluntary,” he said, finally dropping the bomb. his lips, he paused when he saw Yongsun shutting her eyes, Byul bowing her head down and Hyejin balling her fist; all still hugely affected by what has happened with their friend. “She was forced to quit,” he eased, not wanting to further hurt the already frustrated girls. “Wheein was forced to quit. The management did certain things against her which we all knew nothing about, and coerced her to leave the group just so...” he sighed to release the heavy burden crawling in his chest. “Wheein was forced to leave just so they could keep Taehyung and secure the stability of BTS’ brand and image.” 

 

Jimin then went on in details as to what the management did to make Wheein leave her group. It was painful; not just for him, or for the girls who were directly affected by the issue, but also for the boys who are hearing it for the first time that the decision was made in their favor. In order to save BTS’ reputation, the management discarded Wheein. It happened because of and for them. Wheein was forced to let go of her dream just so they could keep theirs. For years, they had no clue about any of it. Not a single bit. Now, to be suddenly told of what the truth is, they feel nothing but guilt and shame as they remember how Wheein welcomed them in their home every single time with a cheerful smile and a warm hug. 

 

They lowered and shake their heads in disbelief, incapable of fully digesting the facts that were laid down to them in one single blow. To say that the boys were shocked is an understatement. They were horrified. Some recoiled from the table, eaten up with mixed feeling of annoyance, frustration, and anger. Wheein is their friend. She’s one of them, she’s a family. When they first heard about her decision of leaving Mamamoo, they were  shocked and disheartened that they even tried to talk her out of it not knowing their group was the main reason she had to quit. 

 

“Wow,” Namjoon puffed out, his face grim as he alternately tilted his head in annoyance. “That’s... messed up” 

 

“It’s too much. What they did to Wheein was just...” Jungkook faltered in his sentence, seemingly at lost for words. He clenched his jaws and shut his eyes in irritation. 

 

“How could anyone in their right mind do that? That’s ed up. They’re all ed up for ting on a woman—fully capable of deciding for herself and who has every right of falling in love—just because she’s in a relationship they don’t approve of? She didn’t even do anything wrong. ” Yoongi commented on a gritted teeth. “ them” 

 

“It’s unbelievable” Hoseok muttered in a low breath, shaking his head. “And to imagine how Wheein probably felt all along... all these years..”

 

“You girls had no idea about it? Like, at all?” Jin asked, his face that’s creased in anger doesn’t mirror the calmness in his tone. He turned his eyes at Byul who looked frustrated. “Byul?” 

 

“We didn’t know about it at first. We literally had no clue about what’s happening and we only found out when...” she inhaled sharply, raised her head up at the ceiling and blinked her eyes. The memories of what she’s about to say suddenly made her voice stuck in as she fought the tears welling up in her eyes. Yongsun had to turn her head away when a tear fell from her eyes, feeling ashamed as to how it all happened right under her nose. She was their leader and she was supposed to protect Wheein and the whole group. She felt like she failed and the disappointment she feels in herself’s still eating her up until this moment.

 

“Wheein almost lost their daughter,” Hyejin said in almost a whisper, swallowing the lump in , trying to keep a straight face. “She bled and almost had a miscarriage because of severe stress and anxiety. We literally had no idea up until that point where we had to squeeze the truth out of her. It was horrible. Hearing it directly from her, what they did and how she tried to fight back, was horrifying. It’s like every word that came out of are knives stabbing us again and again and again. She told us everything then and she just... broke down, pouring it all out for the first time” 

 

Hyejin’s voice breaks as she remembered how hard Wheein cried that night in the hospital. It’s like the gate of her dam concealing her pain and sufferings were suddenly bursted open. She carried it all on her own and that moment was the first time she got to share her burden with others. Wheein’s her best friend, her sister, and the closest person to her heart. She can still vividly recall how hard Wheein bawled her eyes out that night. The pain gripping her chest that time was still the same pain eating her up right now, devouring her wholly. It never went away, it always tugs in her heart and haunts her in every silent moments she has. She remembered how difficult it was for her, too much for her to take in and process all what Wheein said. She was severely disappointed with herself that she remained clueless for that long about her friend’s hardships. 

 

“We tried to terminate our contracts privately when Wheein left but we didn’t win as we had no grounds to void our existing contracts with the company. We stopped releasing songs under Mamamoo’s name and it’s such a  hard-to-swallow pill knowing that that’s the most we could do for Wheein. We also tried to file a lawsuit against the management for breach of Wheein’s contract but she didn’t agree with the plan, she didn’t want to do it,” Byul added. “She said she didn’t want to inflict any issues in our group or risk anything that could only tarnish Mamamoo’s brand, as well as our careers. Even at that time... we’re all she’s concerned about. It’s foolish of her to worry about us when she had it that bad on her own, that girl. We didn’t agree with her, we can’t accept that she’s leaving... but at the same time... we didn’t want to stress her out. It’s the last thing we want to do after all they’ve put her through. We were left with no choice... but to let her go.” She said, her voice faltering at the end.

 

Silence reigned at the whole cafe for minutes as everyone allowed themselves to be swarmed by their own emotions, letting them fall at the bottomless pit of guilt, disappointment and shame. Their minds are in their own trail of thoughts. The boys are still processing it all while Jimin and the girls are once again reminded of those painful memories. Not one has uttered a single word for even in silence reigns the understanding among all of them. Their hearts still in tune with one another, feeling all the same emotions; they do understand each other.

 

“When you told Taehyung everything...” Yongsun said, her voice low and steady, slowly cutting the silence off of them. She lifted her head up and looked straight into Jimin’s knowing eyes. “Did he... Was he...” 

 

Jimin nodded apologetically and the girls looked upset. “He didn’t like it that we didn’t tell him sooner. He was aggravated that we kept Wheein’s secret for this long” he sighed. “I can’t blame him though. He had every right to know and I also agree with how he could’ve done something if only he knew. Even if it’s just to comfort her, you know?” 

 

“Is he... mad at us?” Hyejin asked. 

 

“Disappointed, yes. Felt betrayed, pretty much. But mad? No. Not in the slightest.” a voice said from behind them and they all turned to look, surprised as they recognized whose voice it was.

 

Standing right behind them was Taehyung. Eyes all puffy evidently fresh from crying, he looked at them with a weak smile. No matter how weak and small the smile is though, in his eyes are the glow of genuine joy that can’t be overshadowed even with outside’s gloomy weather and inside’s sullen atmosphere combined. He looked like a burden’s been lifted off his shoulder; looking much lighter than before. He’s wearing a plain black turtleneck underneath a long plaid overcoat, one hand in a pocket of his slacks and the other pulling a small purple trolley bag. They all turned their gazes down and there she is at his knee level, waving at them with the most squarish grin could muster: their little angel. 

 

“Hi everyone!” she squealed before running towards everybody. Surprised, their mouths slightly hanging open, they stood from their seats and welcomed the warm and tight embrace the little girl gave each of them. It’s funny how the ambience of the cafe turned a hundred and eighty degrees when th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter