Sieben (7)

The Silent Boy

After awhile, Mina's limosine arrived at school, Chaeyoung and Mina got out of the limosine. Thankfully, they were early, or other students would've gossiped about them. They walked to their class together.

In their class, Chaeyoung and Mina went directly to their respective seats. Chaeyoung rummaged in his bag to look for his sketchbook. He wanted to continue sketching his mother. However, he could not find it.

'Did I not bring my sketchbook?' Chaeyoung thought.

Then, he remembered he left it in his room. He was upset. Him and his sketchbook, they're inseperable. He put his chin on the table and heaved a sigh.

On the other hand, Mina chatted with her Japanese friends on her phone.

'I'm bored' she typed.

'Let's have a video call.' Sakura suggested.

Mina then initiated a group video call. Mina's Japanese friends slowly picked up the call.

"Hi" they all greeted each other, while waving to the camera.

"Mina, how's life in Korea, good?" Hitomi asked.

"Not bad, I guess." Mina answered, nonchalantly.

"Good for you, then. I hope you really enjoy living there" Nako sincerely hoped.

"But, not too much. We want you to go back to Japan someday, hehe." Hitomi joked.

They all giggled.

"By the way, I met a friend here. His name is Chaeyoung. He has a condition called select something. So, he can't speak, but he's really nice." Mina introduced Chaeyoung to her friends.

"Chaeyoung, come here" Mina called Chaeyoung.

Chaeyoung glanced at Mina's direction then went to her seat.

"This is my friend, Chaeyoung, everyone!" Mina introduced Chaeyoung, showing her bright gummy smile.

Mina's friends gasped.

"What happened to his face?" Hitomi asked, concerned.

"Oh, he got bullied. Luckily, I put a stop to it. Well, my bodyguards put a stop to it." Mina explained.

"My friends are concerned about your bruises" Mina translated.

Chaeyoung then smiled awkwardly. Suddenly, he felt the need to go to the toilet. He tapped Mina, then pointed at the door.

"Where do you want to go?" Mina wondered.

He cupped his private part, hoping Mina would understand.

"Oh, okay!" Mina acknowledged, blushing a little. It's embarrassing for her to witness a boy cupping his private part. However she knew, Chaeyoung just wanted to say that he wanted to go to the toilet.

Chaeyoung quickly left the class to use the bathroom. He went to find the boys' bathroom, entered then used one of the urinals.

"... Yeah, so we beat the crap out of that mute midget" Yugyeom told Jeongyeon, while entering the boys' bathroom.

"Psst, that's the kid" Yugyeom whispered, while pointing at Chaeyoung.

Jeongyeon then went to use the urinal on Chaeyoung's right, while Yugyeom on his left. Chaeyoung started to feel uncomfortable.

Jeongyeon peeked and commented, "Whoah, that's quite big!"

Chaeyoung's face turned beet red. Yugyeom chuckled. Chaeyoung quickly finished his business. He was about to leave the bathroom, when Jeongyeon finished his business and blocked his way.

"Where are you going? Why don't we chat for awhile?" Jeongyeon spoke, trying to sound gentle.

Chaeyoung looked to the ground and pouted. He crumpled his fists. He was shivering from head to toe. He was beyond terrified. Soon, Yugyeom also finished his business then joined Jeongyeon, bumping slightly into Chaeyoung.

"Aww, poor boy, look at him, Yugyeom. What have you done? He probably would've pissed in his pants, if he hadn't pissed before" Jeongyeon joked.

Yugyeom chortled.

"Yugyeom, leave us for awhile. I would like to talk with this boy, alone." Jeongyeon ordered.

Yugyeom looked at Jeongyeon in disbelief.

"Leave!" Jeongyeon barked.

Yugyeom hesitantly took a step, he eyed Chaeyoung one last time, before finally left. Jeongyeon walked closer to Chaeyoung. Chaeyoung reflectively took a step back.

"Aww, it's okay! Don't be scared!" Jeongyeon soothed.

Chaeyoung closed his eyes, preparing to get hit. Unexpectedly he felt someone, caressing his bruises. Chaeyoung winced at the touch. He opened his eyes, seeing Jeongyeon kneeling in front of him, giving him a gentle smile. Jeongyeon then hugged him. Chaeyoung calmed down a little bit, but he was still scared.

Jeongyeon spoke in a low voice, "I don't usually pick on people, unless you mess with me, my girlfriend, or my friends. You should understand that my friends are important to me and the basketball team. So, don't you dare snitch on them. I'll try my best to protect you, but I'm busy with my studies, student council activities, basketball club activities, and dating my girlfriend. So, don't rely on me too much" Jeongyeon explained.

He broke off the hug, got up, then turned around. He took a step, before remembering that he hadn't introduced himself.

He turned around then intoduced himself, "Oh yeah, my name is Yoo Jeongyeon, the basketball team's captain. It's nice to meet you"

Jeongyeon then left the bathroom, leaving Chaeyoung alone. Chaeyoung heaved a sigh, relieved that Jeongyeon turned out to be nice. He then headed to class. Not long after, the bell rang, then class proceeded as usual.










 

Fourth period, just before break time, was Ms. Bae's class. She entered the class and quickly noticed Chaeyoung's bruises.

"Oh My God! Chaeyoung! What happened to you? Tell me, who did this to you?" Ms. Bae exclaimed.

Dahyun gulped, it's just the second day of school, he didn't want to get into trouble. Tzuyu, on the other hand, was as expessionless as ever. Fortunately for Dahyun, Chaeyoung remained silent. Dahyun heaved a sigh of relief.

All of a sudden, Mina reported, "I saw Chaeyoung got bullied yesterday, unfortunately I didn't see who the boys were."

Dahyun gulped. Chaeyoung panicked.

"Well then, Chaeyoung must know who the culprits were. Who are they Chaeyoung?" Ms. Bae asked.

Chaeyoung still remained silent.

Ms. Bae held Chaeyoung's right hand, then consoled, "I just want to help you, dear. I can't help you, if you won't tell me"

Chaeyoung kept quiet, avoiding eye contact with Ms. Bae.

"Okay, I won't force you to tell me. I'll be in the staffs' room, if you're ready to talk about it, okay?" Ms. Bae finally gave up.

Then, Ms. Bae started teaching Maths. Dahyun heaved a sigh of relief. He eyed Mina.

"Fortunately, she didn't see us" Dahyun thought.

After class, the bell rang, indicating it's break time. Chaeyoung quickly grabbed his lunchbox then went away. Mina noticed that, she silently followed Chaeyoung, until they arrived at the rooftop. Chaeyoung quickly took a seat at one of the benches. He opened his lunchbox, he was about to eat, when he noticed Mina. Mina then sat next to Chaeyoung.

"Chaeyoung, why do you eat here?" Mina asked.

Chaeyoung put down his lunchbox, he grabbed his notebook, then wrote, 'I feel shy eating in front of other people.'

"You should've told Ms. Bae who the culprits were. I would've told her if I knew them" Mina adviced.

'Just leave it, Mina' Chaeyoung wrote.

"At least tell me, who they were. I won't snitch, I promise." Mina tried to persuade Chaeyoung.

Chaeyoung shook his head, Mina pouted.

Chaeyoung noticed that Mina didn't bring any lunchbox or food with her.

'Why don't you eat?' Chaeyoung asked by writing.

"I need to buy them in the cafeteria first" Mina answered.

Chaeyoung then handed Mina his lunchbox. Mina looked at him, confused.

'Take it as a thank you for helping me yesterday' Chaeyoung wrote then showed it to Mina, smiling showing his dimples.

"Then, what are you gonna eat?" Mina asked.

'I'm not hungry' Chaeyoung lied.

"Liar" Mina quickly called him out.

'Please' Chaeyoung wrote. Then he showed Mina his puppy eyes.

"Ugh, fine" Mina finally complied, as she couldn't resist Chaeyoung's puppy eyes. She started digging on the food.

"Your mom's food is always delicious" Mina complimented.

Chaeyoung smiled with pride, showing his dimples.

'Of course' Chaeyoung wrote.

Soon, Mina finished everything. She was indeed hungry.

"I'll buy you food later" Mina offered.

'I have money! It's okay' Chaeyoung wrote.

"But, I want to treat you" Mina said, while pouting.

'It's okay' Chaeyoung wrote.

Mina glanced at her watch, "We still have time, let's go to the cafeteria!" Mina proposed.

She held Chaeyoung's hand, wanting to go to the cafeteria together. As Mina's hands came in contact with his hands, for the first time ever, he felt his heart skip a beat. He also noticed how soft Mina's hands were. Everything happened as if it was in slow motion. He wondered, what was wrong with him?

At the cafeteria, Mina chose rice, vegetables, lots of meat for Chaeyoung, and fruit for him. Chaeyoung tugged at Mina's shirt. Mina glanced at him.

He then wrote, 'It's so expensive'

"Don't worry about it" Mina assured him.

She then paid then brought the tray to the rooftop, as she knew Chaeyoung wouldn't eat in the cafeteria. Chaeyoung timidly followed.

Meanwhile, the jocks were watching them.

"The midget and the new girl seem close" Jaebum commented.

"She was the one who had those bodyguards, wasn't she?" Bambam remarked.

"Has your brother told you anything, Yugyeom?" Jinyoung asked him.

Everyone glanced at Yugyeom. He just shrugged.

"We'll crush them, if they dare to mess with us" Jackson swore.

"And I'll crush you, if you get suspended or expelled. Because I need you in the basketball team." Jeongyeon retorted.

"It won't happen, Captain. Don't worry" Jackson assured Jeongyeon.

Mark just kept silent the whole time.