Dreizehn (13)

The Silent Boy

After they ascended the stairs, Sana ordered Chaeyoung to take a bath, which he obeyed. She rummaged the refrigerator and began cooking for breakfast.

After she was done, she and Chaeyoung ate breakfast together. After that, she drove Chaeyoung to school. With a heavy heart, Chaeyoung entered his school. Sana, on the other hand, quickly rushed to the hospital.

As soon as she arrived, she quickly ran to the operating room. The surgery wasn't done yet, so she couldn't get in and could only wait patiently outside. She prayed that Moonbyul would be able to perform the surgery well.

Chaeyoung, on the other hand, couldn't focus properly in class because of how worried he was. He kept on fidgeting in his seat, biting his nails.

After some time, Moonbyul along with other surgeons exited the operating room.

"Moonbyul, Moonbyul, how is it?" Sana rose from his seat, stood in front of Monbyul and  frantically asked her as soon as Moonbyul got out.

"Sorry, Sana. I tried my best." Moonbyul answered, dejectedly.

"No, no, no, You're lying, right?" Sana asked, while shaking Moonbyul's body, tears threatening to fall.

"I'm sorry Sana" Moonbyul once again apologized.

"NO, NO, NO" Sana shouted, her legs failed her, she sat on the floor, crying her eyes out.

Moonbyul then hugged Sana to comfort her.




 

As the bell that indicated that it was dismissal, rang, Chaeyoung quickly shoved his things to his bag and ran to the gate, waiting for Sana.

After awhile, he saw Sana's car and quickly hopped in, he expected Sana to drive him to the hospital, but instead they're heading towards his place.

He wanted to ask Sana, why they weren't heading to the hospital, but there was no way he could do it, Sana had to focus on driving and couldn't afford looking at his note.

Then, when they arrived, they ascended the stairs in silence, got into the house.

"I'll help you pack, Chaeng" Sana breathed.

Chaeyoung just silently followed along.

After they were done packing, they were in the car again, Sana then drove to a diner in that area. They sat near the window.

"Order something, Chaeng" Sana murmured.

Chaeyoung decided to order french fries, deep fried chicken and a cola, while Sana only ordered coffee.

'Noona, why aren't you eating anything?' Chaeyoung questioned.

"Seeing you eating is enough to make me full." Sana lied. Truthfully, she didn't think that she could be able to eat.

"It's been a long time since I've seen you, Chaeng." Sana attempted to start a conversation.

"How's school?" Sana asked.

'It's always been terrible, noona. You know that' Chaeyoung replied.

After that they kept quiet. Sana could not speak any longer, if not, she would break down in tears.

'Will Chaeyoung be able to face the truth? The boy's life is hard already, having no father figure, having a condition, getting bullied, and now his mother is gone too. Must you be this cruel to him, God?' Sana thought.

Chaeyoung ate deliciously, Sana, on the other hand, barely sipped her coffee, staring into space. After he was done, he tapped Sana's hand.

"Oh, are you done, Chaeng?" Sana asked.

Chaeyoung nodded.

Sana then called the waiter and asked for the cheque, then she paid.

Once again, they were in the car, this time driving to the funeral home.

Once they arrived, Chaeyoung quickly asked Sana, why they didn't go to the hospital. Sana opened the door, then opened the back passenger's door, entered and sat beside Chaeyoung.

She held Chaeyoung's hands.

"I just wanna tell you, that I'm here for you." Sana breathed.

Chaeyoung was super confused, but eventually followed Sana inside.

Sana was carrying Chaeyoung's suitcase and Chaeyoung was trailing behind her. They entered the elevator, Sana pressed number 3, and the elevator started ascending. After they got out, they walked passed many roooms, outside of the rooms, there were wreath flowers, with condolences written as the message. They eventually reached a room, that had no wreath flower outside. The room was also empty, except for a casket in the middle of the room and a table near the door to welcome the guests. They walked inside, there was a door inside, at the end of the room. They headed there. However, as they were heading there, they walked past the casket. He peeked to see who laid there. To his horror, it's his mother. He cupped his mouth, his legs failed him, he kneeled and started crying. Meanwhile, Sana opened the door, put Chaeyoung's suitcase inside, then kneeled and hugged Chaeyoung. Chaeyoung cried his eyes out.

Chaeyoung cried for hours, he couldn't believe that his mother had left him. The only family member he had, the one he loved the most, the only one who gave him hope and love, and had always been by his side, had really left him. Sana was there, holding him close, rubbing his back, she occasionally kissed his crown, until he fell asleep, due to tiredness.

Sana then carried Chaeyoung and laid him on one of the beds in the bedroom available. She began to ask the staffs to set up chairs and tables for visitors, despite knowing, not many people would show up. After making sure that the chairs and tables were set up, she got in the room, showered and laid on the other bed.

Sana peeked at Chaeyoung, who was sleeping. She then started crying, she had been holding it in, because she didn't want to break down in front of Chaeyoung.





 

"Chaengie, Chaengie, wake up honey" Jihyo gently tapped his hand.

He fluttered his eyes open and began to hug Jihyo.

"I'm sorry, Chaengie. I have to break my promise, you be good, okay?" Jihyo cooed.

Jihyo took Chaeyoung's hands and forcefully let go of the hug and left.

"MOMMY, DON'T LEAVE ME" Chaeyoung shouted.

Chaeyoung then woke up and realized, it was all a dream. He glanced at his right, Sana was sleeping, her pillow was soaked. She had been crying.

He silently got out of the room, and kneeled beside his mother's casket, he began carressing his mother's cheeks, communicating to his mother in silence. Tears streamed down on his face.





 

Meanwhile, a successful, young CEO, was heading out of his office, when two men, dressed in black suits approched him.

"Can I help you?" He asked the men, confused.

"We would like to discuss about Park Jihyo and Son Chaeyoung." They stated

"They would like to see me? Is Son Chaeyoung, my child's name? Is it a he or she?" He asked, excited.

"Well, Park Jihyo has passed away." They broke the news.

The young CEO cupped his mouth.

"And to answer your question, it's a he." They answered him.