Epilogue

The Silent Boy

Mina took her car key and started driving her car, a car she received as a gift from her parents, when she was 16. She stopped by a florist and bought white carnation. She carefully put it in her car and drove to the graveyard, where Jihyo was buried.

Seemed like it's just yesterday, she visited graveyards all over Seoul with her driver and bodyguards to find out, at which graveyard Ms. Park was buried in.

She went through the aisle of graves and stopped at Jihyo's grave.

"Good afternoon, Ms. Park, I bought white carnation for you. It's different from yesterday's pink carnation. White carnation means remembrance." Mina softly greeted.

Then she started decorating Jihyo's grave.

Eversince she found the graveyard, she always made time to visit Jihyo's grave everyday. She never missed any day. She thought it was the least she could do to redeem her mistake. She should've been by her friend's side, when he lost his mother. Other than that, deep inside, she also wished, she would be able to meet the boy too, but it seemed as if the boy refused to meet her, or he indeed never visited his mother's grave.

Meanwhile, Chaeyoung who just arrived at Seoul yesterday, decided to visit his mother's grave today. He bought orchid and drove to his mother's place. As he approached the grave, he was met with a girl, who was decorating his mother's grave.

He carefully approached the grave and the girl noticed a presence, so she looked up and it's as if the time had stopped.

"It's been a long time" he breathed, smiling, showing his dimples.

Mina stood up, she was speechless. The dimples were as deep as ever, but he had transformed into a very handsome and tall, young man. Moreover, he could speak now.

"You can speak" she murmured after a moment of silence.

"It's a long story" he replied.

He then put the orchid on his mother's grave.

"Hi, mommy. It's been a long time." Chaeyoung greeted his mother.

"Yes, I can speak now, Mommy. Are you proud of me?" He jokingly said.

"I hope you're doing well, Mommy. I'm sorry for not visiting you all these years, but now I'm here" he softly apologized.

"I miss you" he whispered.

"I wish you were here" he breathed. Tears fell from his eyes.



 

Then, they found themselves, sitting in front of each other in a café in Seoul.

"So, where are you going to study, Mina?" Chaeyoung started the conversation.

"Seoul Institute of Arts, dance major. You?" She replied.

"Seoul National University, architecture major" he proudly answered.

"You owe me explanation" mina breathed.

"Very well." He smiled.

"Well after my father forcefully brought me to Busan with him, I attempted to boycott him, I starved myself for three days" he started telling the story.

"For three days, I laid in my bed all day, I refused to eat, I only drank water, I also didn't shower. I didn't wanna go to school as well. After three days, my father carried me and brought me to his car. By the time, I was too weak to resist. He started driving and we arrived at Sauna." He continued.

"It was the first time, I went to sauna. I felt extremely embarrassed, but I was extremely weak. He started stripping and he stripped me. After that we sat at the shower area, he started scrubing my back, while telling me his story" He continued.

"It all started in high school. Your mother was the most beautiful girl I'd ever laid my eyes upon and she was smart too. She was the top student in Science class and I was the top student in Social class. I started to fall for your mom. I courted her for a year. We started getting to know each other, when we joined the students' council. The next year, I decided to run for president, while she was the vice. We won the election, after the announcement, I asked your mom out and she agreed. We were high school sweethearts. Life was looking good. I thought we were perfect. The future looked promising. I would inherit my father's company someday and she would become a successful doctor. After we became successful, I thought we could get married and had kids of our own, built our own family." His father started.

"But it was all ruined, because of lust and my foolishness. High school graduation day, I told her to lie to her parents that she was staying at a friends' house and she did. He parents didn't suspect a thing. Me and her then went to Jeju and spent three days there. The night before we left Jeju, I was caught up in my lust and she let me.... " his father started to cry.

"About a month later, she told me, she wasn't feeling well, so I visited her and she broke the news that she was pregnant. I panicked, I thought my father would kill me, if he knew. I told her to get rid of the baby, my second mistake...." his father cried even louder.

"When I gave her time to think, I thought she would eventually agree, but the next day when I came to visit, her father told me, he had sent her away. I was devastated. I searched for her all over Busan, but I couldn't find her. I eventually confessed to my parents and they said that they would gladly accept the baby, at the time I knew how stupid I was.

"But life went on, I started studying business studies. Eventually worked in my father's company, inherited it when he decided to retire. 12 years after she left, I got the news that she had died. You don't know, how heartbreaking it is for me, Chaeyoung. She was supposed to be my wife by now. At the funeral home, I got to know how you two lived for the past 12 years. Your mother worked multiple jobs with very little payment. I thought she was supposed to be a doctor. You're bullied at school, your homeroom teacher told me, because you have a condition, and your mother couldn't afford treatment. I thought life would be different for the both of you, if I took responsibility. I...." he cried even more.

"At the time, I hated my father, but listening to how broken he was, I had compassion. I turned around and hugged him. He hugged me back. After that, he brought me to a really expensive restaurant and made me eat lots of things. Well, I was starving, so I ate everything." I told of the story.

"My father was afraid that I would get bullied again, so I was homeschooled, he brought me to a psychiatrist for treatment and I started to get treatment."

"My father thought, we needed to bond as father and son, so every month, we would go camping, or probably went out of town, just the two of us and I slowly forgave him. I eventually forgave my grandfather and grandmother too. It was a long process but I made it. High school came and I begged my father to enroll me in a normal high school, he was hesitant, but he eventually agreed."

"High school came and I was confident. I thought I had made many improvements with the help of the treatment, I mean by this time I could speak with my father, grandfathers and grandmothers comfortably already, my online teacher and psychiatrist too, but school day came and I became mute again, but I worked hard, after a week, I could speak, even though it was barely audible, and eventually after months I spoke comfortably with everyone and made friends" Chaeyoung finished his story.

"That's pretty much it, after graduating high school, I thought I wanted to come back to my birthplace" he explained.

"What about you, Mina?" He asked.

"Well, after you left, I was devastated, I broke up with Mark and-" Mina began telling her story

"Why?" Chaeyoung cut her off.

"Because of him, I neglected you." Mina breathed.

"But you loved him" Chaeyoung reasoned.

"Gosh, Chaeng. I was 12, it was that fangirling age, you know. A guy saved me from getting bullied, he was tall and handsome too. Besides, I was a foreigner, so when the hottest guy in school noticed you, it was everything" Mina explained.

"I was foolish, Chaeng. After we broke up, he was furious, he called me a , and said that he never even liked me and that I was a low life for befriending you and I realized he and his gang were the ones who bullied you" Mina looked down.

"If only I knew, Chaeng." Mina murmured.

"Hey, cheer up. We meet again, after all these years, right?" Chaeyoung attempted to lift up the mood, then sipped his coffee.

They spent their afternoon in that café, telling each other stories, before eventually parting ways again, but this time, they knew, they wouldn't part forever, they could meet again, if they wanted to, because they lived in the same city now. The city, where their friendship bloomed.