Zwei (2)

The Silent Boy

Son Chaeyoung was a very active toddler, with a bubbly personality. At the time, Jihyo couldn't take any job, as she had to take care of Chaeyoung. Thankfully, the money she got from selling the necklace was enough to buy their daily necessities, at least until she met Sana, a cheerful medical student from Japan, who just moved in one floor below them.

They hit it off right away, as Jihyo used to read lots of medical books and Sana was fascinated by Jihyo's knowledge. She thought it was such a waste, that Jihyo didn't get to explore her talent in Medicine.

"Jihyo would make a great doctor!" She thought.

Jihyo showed Sana many pictures and videos of Chaeyoung from when he was a baby. The first time Chaeyoung could crawl, The first time Chaeyoung called her "momma", The first time Chaeyong could stand, The first time Chaeyoung could walk, and etc.

"Guess, she really loves her son. She's a great mother, for sure." She thought in her heart.

Son Chaeyoung was a very talkative toddler, he would talk for hours non-stop, before he could even speak properly. He would ask his mother a million questions. However, there was something weird that Jihyo noticed. Whenever she brought him to the park. He would never answer, when other children, or other parents asked him something. She thought that it was weird, as he was very talkative at home. He would open his mouth, but no sound came out, then he would look to the ground and pout. She thought that her son was just shy, so she shrugged it off.

As Chaeyoung grew older and started going to school, his needs started to increase. So she had to work if she wanted to be able to provide for him. Thankfully Sana was kind enough to offer to take care of Chaeyoung when she had to work. Son Chaeyoung went to kindergarten at the time, so he had more or less the same schedule with Sana, who took morning classes, so she could pick up Chaeyoung at the kindergarten after she finished her classes.

Chaeyoung was a very good boy at home, his mother let him draw on the walls, as he really loved drawing. He also liked playing legos. Things became problematic when they went to the park, where there were other children that tried to play with him. He would stand motionless when other children approached him. Moreover, he also would never answer, when Sana talked to him. So, she complained to her friend about it. Her friend explained that Chaeyoung was probably shy. So she shrugged it off. However, as time went by, it had been a year, and he still spoke no word to her and still had no friends, despite already going to school. When the three of them were together, whenever she asked him questions, he would go to his mother to whisper something, and his mother would answer for him. So, she suggested her to take him to a Child Psycologist.

His mother worked hard and managed to take him to a Child Psycologist. He was then diagnosed with "selective mutism". She was terribly heartbroken. She wanted Chaeyoung to get treated immediately, but she had to think again. She could barely afford their basic needs. She had to work really hard just to fulfill both of their needs. She couldn't afford to get Chaeyoung treated. So, Chaeyoung didn't receive any treatment or therapy.

As she worked harder and harder, she rarely had time for her son. Chaeyoung was now in elementary school. Words could not express how proud she was of her son. Chaeyoung didn't have anyone to talk to for a long time, as he only talked to his mother. His mother was busy working multiple jobs. So, he developed a "progressive mutism". Eversince then, noone, has heard of his voice, not even his own mother.

Chaeyoung carried a notebook and a pen everywhere with him, in case someone asked him something. If someone asked him a question, he would answer by writing the answer down on the notebook and then showed it to them. His mother was an exception, whenever she asked him question, he would answer by whispering to his mother's ears.

Kids his age thought that it was ridiculous for someone who could speak to not be able to speak in certain situations. Even adults thought it was ridiculous. So, his friends made fun of him and bullied him. He would then go home with bruises on his face or with dirty uniform. Sana couldn't take it anymore, so one day she reported it to the principal. The principal then held a meeting and started talking about the danger of "bullying" and stuffs like that. The kids were ashamed of their actions. However, they still thought that Chaeyoung was an oddball. So, they avoided him. They didn't bully him, but they also didn't want anything to do with him. So, during breaktime, he would eat his lunch alone, or he would be seen sketching on his sketchbook.

Son Chaeyoung was about to enter middle school now. His mother was very concerned for him. Middle School and Elementary School are different. She knew that by experience. Elementary kids were still innocent, so it was easier to stop bullying there. However, Middle school was different. It would be harder to stop bullying in Middle School. His mother could only hope that he wouldn't get bullied.

They were now in a bus heading to Cheyoung's new school. Chaeyoung was holding his mother's hand tightly. This meant that he was nervous.

"Don't be nervous. Everything's gonna be okay" She whispered to him.

"I'm scared, mommy. What if they don't like me? What if I get bullied? I don't wanna get bullied" He whispered to his mom.

"It won't happen, don't worry okay?" She assured his son.

She actually knew there was a possibility of him getting bullied. She could only pray that it wouldn't happen.

They both hopped out of the bus, as they had arrived at their stop. They both walked hand-in-hand to the new school. As they arrived, Chaeyoung was reluctant to let his mother's hand go. She leaned down and kissed her son's head.

"Be a good boy and enter your new school!" she gently nudged her son.

Her son let go of her hand, then looked to the ground and pouted. He tiptoed then kissed his mother's cheek, then he whispered, "I love you, Mommy"

"I love you too, Chaengie. Now, go." She replied her son.

Her son slowly turned around then started entering his school. She then walked to the bus stop to catch a bus to her workplace.