tigers don’t fly

Nemesis | Soonwoo SVT
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’m Wonwoo, by the way, from the History department and those over there are my idiot friends who told me playing darts was a good idea.”

Joshua felt his heart stop as he watched Wonwoo introduce himself to Soonyoung. He lunged forward unthinkingly, not even having a plan. He had to separate them. He couldn’t allow the sworn nemeses to meet.

But before he could reach Soonyoung, someone stepped in and put an arm around his elbow. “Just a second, Jisoo.”

Jeonghan.

Jisoo or Joshua? Which do you go by these days? Jeonghan’s hold around his elbow was firm.

Joshua could hear over Jeonghan’s thoughts, Soonyoung’s voice, reacting slowly to Wonwoo, “You’re him,” and he knew this was the beginning of the end.

Or Joshuji? Would you like that, Joshuji?

off. Joshua shrugged out of his hold.

Jeonghan leaned forward, stopping by his ear. “You’ve already lost this one. Go home and tell your masters that you failed. Maybe you’ll get a reprimand and a new assignment.”

“Nothing is over yet,” Joshua hissed. He nearly ran to Soonyoung’s side. “Hey, I don’t feel well. Maybe we should head back—”

His words might as well have been thoughts because right at the moment a very loud boy jumped between Wonwoo and Soonyoung, drowning out his words. “Wonwoo! You met Hoshi,” Seokmin said, beaming with delight.

Wonwoo raised his eyebrows, looking at his near-victim with renewed interest. So this was the famous drama club president Hoshi who had saved the failing club last semester. His eyes followed the slight pout of his lips, his adorable nose and the soft-looking hair. Truth be told, this Hoshi guy looked a bit stunned still, no doubt reeling from the after effects of nearly being hit by a dart, but even then he was radiating a certain endearing warmth. Wonwoo found himself grinning. “Oh, you are Hoshi? I have heard so much about you—”

But Soonyoung was pulling away. Looking definitely green in the face, he could suddenly feel the bass pumping in his head. Unable to breathe, he felt like the roof was crashing on him.

Someone was calling his name out, a dull sound against the party, but he didn’t stop. He needed to get away.

Finally, he found himself outside. Having escaped the loud party and him, he hadn’t even taken his first gulp of air and he was throwing up, retching against the ground, nearly doubling over.

“Hoshi?”

Someone was rubbing his back, repeating his name in a soft voice. “It’s okay. You’re fine. I got you. I got you, Hoshi.”

“I got you, idiot. You can do it.”

“I can’t do it, Wonu.” The small boy stared at his friend, both kids staring at the swings in the playground.

“Are you scared?” Wonwoo asked, furrowing his brow as he looked at his new friend who was still contemplating playing at the swings.

Soonyoung pouted. “What if the swing is too powerful and I fly off into space?”

“It is not. I try it every day. I will catch you if you start flying, Soong.”

Soonyoung stared at the swings with sudden determination. “I won’t fly. Tigers don’t fly.”

Wonwoo nodded. “Tigers are basically cats and cats land on all fours.” He added quickly with a proud eye-roll, “I read it in a book.”

“You’re so smart, Wonu. Okay, I’m going for it.”

“I got you. You can do it!”

And he could. He laughed happily, earning a thumbs-up from his friend. No, his best friend. Because even though they had just met, he knew they were going to be friends forever.

But the next day, Wonu was gone.

-

“Dad, can I stay longer today?”

“It’s already dinner time. You should come home like the other kids. Playgrounds are not fun after dark.”

“I’m just waiting for Wonu.”

“Who is Wonu? Did you find a cat or something to play with? You know we can’t take strays home.”

“He’s my best friend.”

“We moved here a day ago. You already have a best friend?”

“Yes,” Soonyoung said, shining with pride. “He’s very smart and reads books. Do you know a cat always lands on all fours. They can’t fly. Tigers too.”

“Okay,” Dad looked amused. “Well, how about we meet your friend tomorrow? I don’t think he will come today.”

-

Soonyoung could hear them talking in low voices.

“...have asked every parent with kids in the playground. They’ve asked their kids. No one knows any Wonu.”

“Soonie will be sad.”

“We just need to educate him about imaginary friends. We all have them when we are young. He’ll understand. He’s very intelligent. He started reading illustrated books, you know? Our boy is going to grow up into a fine man.”

“He takes after me.”

“Honey, surely you’ve never read anything beyond the syllabus.”

“Hey, don’t be mean.”

-

“Let’s go home, Soonie.”

“No!”

“We already talked about this.”

“He’s not imaginary. He’s real. He is real!”

“Get away from me,” Soonyoung gasped, as he gained some control over his body.

“It’s me, Wonwoo. We just met but...uh, here, you can use my handkerchief. Stay, I’ll get some water for you.”

“Jihoon! Cheol!” Soonyoung shouted, instead.

“Woah, calm down, dude.”

“Stay away from me! You’re not real. He’s not real.” Hoshi closed his eyes as he backed away, still calling out fo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter