Her First Showdown

She Was Everything

Vibrated alarm, Vibrated alarm

 

It is 7 AM on a Monday, Risa rolled down her bed and closed the alarm. She stood up and immediately head on the shower. It's been two months since she started her job at SM Entertainment. It wasn't easy adapting to the new environment. She also struggles with the language, communication barriers and most importantly Minjun has been hassling Risa because he was jealous Risa was handed SM's big upcoming projects, one of the biggest promotions of the NCT group. They were brainstorming since the second Risa joined the project, and Minjun keeps rejecting Risa's idea. Risa wanted the idea for the fans able to stream while watching live while Minjun wanted to continue since there will be no audience. He wanted to waste no time, so the boys could just only do a straight performance. Risa tries to argue her points, the audience is paying 30USD, it's about giving them back and the boys would love to have live fans interactions since they weren't able to see their fans. They missed their fans, but this is the only way to do it now. The coronavirus cases keep increasing and sadly still spreading, so this is just only way and kind of a new normal for everyone to do and understandably the most safer way for everyone.

 

It's a new month now, let's hope this March can be a little nicer, Risa thought. She gets ready for work and user her new brand new car to drive to work. Risa tries to distract herself so she connected her bluetooth and play Beyonce 'Who Run The World.' For some reason, she found it fitting for her to get some extra empowering from the Queen Beyonce motivation song. She danced and lip-sing while flapping her hands. People in traffic could think she's slightly bit insane LOL. But oh well, you only live once! She arrived after 20 minutes of car-karaoke and she couldn't wait to start her day fresh. She parked at the located staff parking, there she saw the only person she wants to avoid. She keeps walking to the elevator, thinking Minjun didn't see her but eventually catches her and walked together into the building. Minjun is nice but he can be very tough and hard to please. He runs his work in a very tight command and he likes stuff in his certain ways possible.

Risa respected that and she hopes she can work alongside by side with Minjun. Suddenly her thought interrupted when Minjun said, 'So are we gonna confirm that my idea was better to let the members straight-up performances only?', Risa just lightly shook her head and replied, 'I think we can discuss this more when we ask the approval from the members especially the management approval. At the end of the day, the boys deserve to have a say, it's their fans. I wanna do right by them, Risa wants that very much. Minjun kept quite but continued walking next to Risa. Although it was more about fighting opinions, it is about taking charge of Minjun too. He wanted to prove to his superiors that he was capable of bigger responsibility. With Risa arrival in town, he was eager to compete. Instead of welcoming her, he just feels he was levelled down. So that's why he kept pushing to Risa approval to agree for the sake of his satisfaction for winning.

 

Once they reached their office floor, they parted aways and bid their goodbyes. Risa went to her space and sat straight away to start planning for Beyond Live for WayV. The first time, NCT127 were introduced first to meet with Risa since WayV had other schedules. So she was arranged to meet the WayV member this Thursday, so she worked her best trying to get her work done for the day. As time passed by, it's almost 12 PM. Anthony came over to bring Risa for lunch at the cafeteria. Risa wanted to discuss with Anthony about WayV Beyond Live and about Minjun matter for not trying agreeing with Risa idea. Risa needed his approval since she wanted to be respectful of Minjun seniority in the company. After so many rejections and debate, she needed someone to share her concerns with, she felt better if Anthony can be the one to advise and guide her better. It was really difficult with Minjun at first, one time when Risa asked him about the new members, Shotaro and Sungchan since they are the new addition to NCT. Risa wanted to ask Minjun about their future debut plans, and about NCT2020 Resonance Live Event 'Wish 2020', just to discuss and plan how the comeback and unit will be distributed.

 

There is so much anticipation for this big comeback and Risa was excited for the NCT2020. Although she hasn't met them yet, she heard they are very VERY veRy yOunG. SM is known for finding hidden gems among their artists, she bet these two will add fresh new vibes and faces to NCT. Instead, Minjun including her for discussion, he left her sidetracked and didn't tell her about the planning, he hid off the meeting with the managers and staffs WITHOUT HER till the last minute. Risa was shocked and she was notified just when the meeting started after 10mins. She was upset how Minjun would jeopardize her like that, knowing she would lose her face and people in the management would find her incompetent on her work. Although she had no ill-feeling about it, she senses that Minjun was extremely or pretty much is after her position.

 

After that incident, she knew to be cautious and learn to be careful to Minjun. Wondering if that will be only the time he'll do it or there will be more in the future. It was awfully hard, especially she felt left out in this new country. Risa misses her home so much, she wishes she can fly back to the UK and see her friends. She called them every time but it was not the same talking to the phone, but rather see face to face. She felt lost but she needed to survived and yet she struggles with her colleague, language barrier and being homesick. To help her distract, Risa attended 2 hours per week Korean language class and did extra reading plus homework, by homework means drama without subtitles on. That was a headache but she did most of the night for her practices and writing purposes. Her hangul is getting there but needed polishing. Somehow she keeps questioning if she meant to be here or suffer. She laughed at those random thoughts all the time.

 

But reality when she wakes up, she's afraid and the anxiety was not helping her to calm down. So she tried taking it day by day, but not telling anyone how she feels sick, tired and hiding her feelings in her prison mind.

 

So during lunchtime, Anthony and Risa ordered some pasta and sandwiches and sat in front of each other near the counter since it was full. But people around them seem distracted looking at Risa who was enjoying her pasta. Anthony noticed that since Risa came into the company, everyone seems to be startled to understand that she is the new creative director. Her young innocent face doesn't help the fact she looks like an idol! Everyone thought she was a new trainee.  As they were enjoying lunch, they were having a conversation about what is the most memorable movie they've watched as a kid. Anthony picked 'Grease' because his father was a big fan of John Travolta, and they used to listen to their tracks when Anthony lived in the States. Risa picked 'Shirley Temple' because she loves music and she wants to be a dancer. Anthony finds it quite ironic that Risa could closely be fit as an idol since she had that beauty of musical arts.

 

Anthony eventually asks Risa how her work has been, Risa sighed. She has lots of concerns and the only thing she has to do is get one person to agree with her. It is a bit new for a first-ever online live concert, but with the help of AR effects, high technology and the online concert could be a new way to interact with fans during these times. Risa sighed and looked over Anthony who's enjoying his sandwich, 'I just hoped I am not making hard on anybody, or to Minjun. I'm worried if he doesn't like my work or maybe it just me he doesn't trust?'. Risa wanted him to understand the ideas of all this is to let everyone enjoy in the comfort of their home during the quarantine. Anthony nodded his head, 'You are too kind, Risa. I know your intentions were purely honest and you wanted the best for everyone. I think that stood out more than others.' Anthony felt bad for Risa, he wanted to help her but Minjun would never listen to him, he knew Minjun well not to messed or change his mind about his ideas. Anthony tried explained Risa, 'He may be tough or ummmm maybe arrogant, haha, but he is a great guy. I'm sure he'll compromise with you. Give it time, he'll come around.', as he passes Risa some of his extra salad from his sandwich plate. Risa thanked him as nodded her head and continued her lunch. She felt grateful that she can rely on Anthony, he's a great listener and someone she can trust here.

 

Suddenly Lucas and Kun came in through the cafeteria, they looked they just finished dance rehearsal. They were wearing casual sporty clothes and sweat pants. Risa swore they probably handsome even they would’ve worn a trash bin plastic. Anthony waved at Kun and called them over. They went over and smiled, 'annyeonhaseyo, you guys having lunch?', said Kun. Anthony replied to him, 'Yes, we just ate halfway. Do you guys wanna sit here with us?'. Lucas showed his biggest smile and clasped his hands, 'Yeah! We would love to!' and quickly they ordered their food. Within 2mins, they came back. Kun picked a seat next to Risa and Lucas next to Anthony. It's her first meeting with a few of the WayV members, and they were so warm and funny guys. Kun and Lucas were kind and polite to her. Anthony also told them Risa is handling their Beyond Live production. They told Risa that their members were excited about the online concert and has been preparing their hardest. Lucas expresses how he missed their fans so much. It must've felt different for them to feel this way, promoting but does not feel like promoting. Risa wanted to give that to them, to feel like nothing changed and their fans can see their hard work. They continued talking about their albums, dance performance, and concepts. Risa listened and listened to how much they put up so much preparation into it. They were purely doing this for their fans and it urges Risa now more than ever to talk to Minjun, so she decided to face him soon about the matter, even if they have to fight for it.

 

Soon it was Thursday, the presentation started at 9.30 AM. Minjun and Risa went to the higher management of the company who seals and approved deals for all their artists, plus the WayV members were called to attend their meeting to meet Risa. When everyone arrived in the room, they introduced themselves to Risa. No doubt WayV members have pretty much swooned over Risa's beauty. Lucas told Risa good luck and they eventually sit while Risa to the front with Minjun to present their planning. It was a long meeting and a hot debate about so many things with Minjun. They worried about the VLive duration limitations, no audience so perfectly able to pre-record too. They were so many options, eventually, they had to come into a vote. Risa said she would make sure everything will be able to run smoothly if she can convince them to accept her suggestions to open up like a larger zoom meeting with fans, interacting live and having Q&A with WayV. One-on-One Lucky Fan to chat with members, just to get some varieties inside the performances. Everyone seems so intrigued ANNDDDDD finally, everyone said they accepted Risa's proposal. Minjun was furious and once the meetings over, he left and just stayed in his office the whole day. Risa felt bad but in a way, it is a fair payback for what he did to Risa. Now let's stop being childish and get to work!

 

THE DAY OF WAYV BEYOND THE VISION LIVE CONCERT

All the stages, preparations and hard work after weeks paid off. The whole place looks like a concert hall but with a FREAKING largest screen. It was almost like a cinema, but with even an extra screen! She heard SuperM who held their concert a week earlier were a huge success. It is truly remarkable how everything pans out well, and Risa could hope everything runs smoothly today. As they're heading for 30mins left before the show, Risa went backstage and went in for a last-minute run through with the back-curtain staff so everything is set to go without a hitch. Minjun was also there, or maybe tried to exist to be there and he was sour than usual. He eventually gives in to work with Risa's plan, but he felt he just had to be there so he just aimlessly does his work quietly.

 

While Risa was notified 15mins were only left, the WayV was already done getting ready and heads out to the stage out front. Xiaojun saw Risa who was already called out front is on her way to WayV members were standing. He has been gathering up his courage to talk to Risa but he always went shy when she came around. As Risa was about to go the front, she saw the members and waved to them, 'Goodluck, and I wish you guys the best performances ahead! Enjoy it, I will be looking out for you on the stage.' The members bowed to her and thanked her for her kind wishes. Fortunately for the luck, it just so happened Risa passed Xiaojun who's being shy at the end and told him, 'Goodluck, Xiaojun! Btw you look very handsome today!' and he earned a look from others. Dang you lucky boy, they thought. They wanted to be called handsome by Risa too and Xiaojun just felt like a winner after that compliment.

 

‘ AND 3-2-1, SHOWTIME!’

Everyone was enjoying the stages and fans from all over the world showers the boys with encouraging words and support. Knowing that everyone is on quarantined, and the fans showed their concerns and thanked the boys who worked so hard for them. The whole live shows give so many eye-opening moments to Risa. She looks over everyone who works into these productions, they all seemed to enjoy it and having a great time despite so many errors with practice run-through. They wanted everything runs perfect and everything seems going well. Internet connections can be buggy and hard to control but the management is trying their best to give their effort so everyone who's streaming can enjoy this experience. One of the most touching moment is when Lucas cried because of a fan. Everyone in the room can feel how Lucas relied on his energy from fans cheers. He loved them very much, he must miss them as Risa stood at the side looking at the poor Lucas who looks extremely sad. It pains her to see him crying, he was genuinely sad and if this show doesn't happen, she would never see his most soft side like this. She bet the other members felt the same way. While everyone was occupied, Minjun was sulking at the back and saw Risa from afar. He felt jealous of her, seeing everyone want to side with her. Eventually, he went backstage and he feels like he needs to vent out. 

 

When the show ended, everyone felt it the huge rush over them was over and it felt celebratory. Risa was super happy and she patted one of the staffs next to her and bowed while thanking her for hard work and went around to express her gratitude to other staff. As everyone was wrapping up, someone ran up to Risa and told her 'You need to come quickly.' Risa was surprised, thinking everything was fine but then the shocking revelation came in when the staff said, 'Minjun is drunk',

 

Risa immediately thought worse. No way! This is not happening. Why was he drunk during work hours? He looks fine just now. Risa ran where the told where Minjun is. They told her he was hiding one of the dressing room, they told her Minjun left the building and found himself buying alcoholic drinks that quickly made him drunk. He went back and when the security told him that beer wasn't allowed in, he made a fuss and throw tantrum even trying to fight the security. One of the staff saw him, quickly thinking if higher management finds out about this, Minjun could get into trouble or worse, FIRED. Risa went into the room he was in and saw everyone crowded over Minjun. She walks over and she could see Minjun face looks so beat up, it must've been from the fight with the security. Risa asks him if he was okay, he immediately stood up, pointed his fingers and yelled at Risa's face, 'NO, I AM NOT OKAY BECAUSE OF YOU! IT'S YOUR FAULT!!!!'. The room was so small that the voice probably could travel to other rooms next to it. Everyone in the room went silent so Risa immediately signals everyone to give them the room.

 

The room was so quiet that you can hear a pin drop. Minjun drank a lot of water to sober himself, while Risa could feel her heartbeat going fast as if she went for a run. Yelling is one thing, but what was the reason he said that it was my fault?. Risa keeps thinking what made him like this till he would even drink during working hours. He eventually cooled down but he was still a bit drunk. He already could imagine himself packing his stuff at the office tomorrow. Why did he do this? It was an impulse and he can't take it back now. His career down the drain just because he couldn't control himself. It's too late, he knows he's getting fired.

 

After 20mins of silent, Risa started to ask him, 'Are you okay, Minjun?'. Silent. Again she asked, 'You hate me, don't you?'. One to three minutes, she didn't break her focus looking at Minjun. He eventually looked up and could look her with pain in her eyes. He sighed and spoked, 'No, I don't hate you, Risa. It's me I hate. I did this to myself because I was selfish. I was eager to prove others I can be responsible. Well yeah right, look at me being responsible.' He continued saying how he was envious of Risa's popularity and he felt he was disregard by others ever since she came to SM. Risa finally understood what he meant, he doesn't resent me but he thought I replaced him?

 

Risa smiled and went over to pick up a bottle of water and sat next to him, 'You think I replaced you? If that's what you think, it's not. I want your help, so you can teach me what I need to know about this job.' Minjun was flabbergasted and looked at Risa's face. Risa sighed and looked down, she felt bad that she didn’t know that he felt that way, 'Look, I'm only trying my best here. I am not perfect for this job, but I want to learn. I was keen to learn from you because I know that you among others know this job better than I do. I am struggling as it is now, I just want us to work together so we can achieve bigger together', as she passed the bottle to him so he could drink more. Minjun thought he heard wrong that he didn't realise the bottle on his hands already. He finally only realised that it was his stupid ego made him like this, that he blindly sidelined Risa where they could've been helping each other. He felt guilty for all the things he did or said about Risa. It was never about competing, it was just him that created a war on himself, and now he’s about to lose it all.

 

Risa wasn't the one to blame, and he wants to know he was so sorry to her. It hurt his head and heart that he was being a jerk but not a friend to her. A STUPID JERK INDEED, his cursed inside his head. 'I am sorry for what I did to you. I was stupid, Risa. I am truly sorry. I should've known better for myself. Instead, I treated you like crap and now I feel crappier', Minjun croaked and tried to clear his throat. He felt crying but he stopped himself so he won't embarrass himself in front of a girl. Risa felt so relief now that she know everything was just a misunderstanding. and lastly stood up, knowing that they finally found peace, 'I've forgiven you even you didn't need to say it, but I would never forgive you if you're not accepting my offer to start over, a clean slate for us', she looked back to Minjun who was already thinking how someone could be so kind to forgive after what he did. Minjun smiled, like genuinely smiled for the first time for the last few weeks, and just looked at Risa meaning it's a yes to a new start. Rather being angry and hating her kindness, Minjun was questioning how Risa just only could hold so much power over him that made him like this.

 

They fought like a married couple, even staffs thought Minjun had some feelings for Risa, he gets irritated when she won't back down, but in a way, he loves seeing her cute face getting mad. 'You would smile to others, but not to me', he used to think it was meant intended to him but Risa was afraid if he wouldn't return even a small one. He would glare at her, or more like avoiding her as well when they’re in the same room especially people would praise Risa for her work but not him. But all of that made sense now, he was too blind but the fact that she would be the only one who always praised when no one did. She cares and still cares for his heart so he would be friends with her, or at least co-exist with her for work. Even a small gesture from her would make his heart softer than anything else and that made him fell for her. It drives him furious so he would never think this moment will be the day of the realization of his bad behaviour was karma.

 

Risa could hear the commotion outside, thinking it might be someone from the higher management who was furious with Minjun sudden behaviour. She walked to the door before they barged in, 'From now on, I promised I will smile more to you' and she walked out the door quietly and let others came in. Even though he should prepare for the worse possible outcome, he didn't regret it one bit. Then the conversations never happen and he would never realise his feelings sooner.

 

The next day, Minjun was called by the one of the higher staff management, Lee Jin Sung who look that he is over 50 years and he will be the one to decide Minjun’s fate. Would they expelled him or worse, fired him? He’ll never know and Risa could only pray for the best for Minjun as she was already asked to prepare another week for Beyond Live with NCT Dream. She was so occupied with her thoughts and her work had become her distraction to not worry for Minjun. Then suddenly, her thoughts were interrupted as she saw one guy who had silver-greyish hair who has been watching her thinking serious face since she sat down at the cafeteria. He walked over to her and put out his hands, 'Annyeonghaseyo, I'm Na Jaemin from NCT Dream. I heard we will be working with you next.'

 

Hi dear readers, I’m so proud to actually written the longest chapter for this fanfic. I am also writing this fanfic without telling you guys who will be the lucky guy to win Risa’s heart! I wanna let you guys have a guess, but sooner or later I will drop some cute hints along with the chapters. Stay tuned and subscribed for more!

Best of my love,

Jeers