- epilogue -

NO LONGER

It was the 3rd year already since you moved to Jeju with Doyoung. The house you stayed at was not very different from the first time you came there. The significant difference was the growing amount of your stuff and Doyoung’s decorating the interior.

You remembered how everything felt weird at first. To live in a house, only the two of you there. Even the air was different. But a good different, at least. The fresh air in the morning was now already familiar to you. It was the very first thing made you fall in love with this place. Now you were already used to the morning sun ray penetrating the window of your bedroom which you shared with him. Not to mention, you were finally embracing the fact that Doyoung will be the one you spend the rest of your life with. Yet, it didn’t completely change how you truly feel towards him. The fact that you still have a feeling for that Moon guy was something that you kept to yourself. Probably this was what Doyoung had felt before; to suppress your real feelings.

You woke up at 7 in the morning that day. Doyoung was still sleeping soundly beside you. His hand was holding yours. You tried to be as quiet as possible when leaving the bed and pulling away your hand. You started your morning routine with showering, boiling water for hot citron tea, toasting some bread, and scrambling eggs for breakfast.

While you were waiting for the toast, you could hear the bedroom door opened. You didn’t bother to check it. Probably Doyoung would go to the toilet or to the main front door to give food for the stray dogs and cats around the house.

“Good morning.” He showed up behind you, dragging his feet and rubbing his eyes.

“Morning.”

He took a seat in the dining room, watching you plating the toast and the scrambled eggs.

“Are you not getting ready to go to work?” you asked as you put the breakfast on the table.

He shook. “I’m working from home today.”

“Why?”

He drew a smile. “Because today is a special day and I want to spend the whole day with you.”

“What special day is it?”

“Well, everyday with you is a special day.”

You just smiled at his cringeyness. That was a new side of him that recently showed since you moved together. He had been very affectionate physically. You could tell from the way he always holds your hand anywhere you go, how he hugs you before he goes to work and when he comes home, and his habit when sleeping that he needs to have you snuggled in his arms, or at least your hand. But to shower you love and affection verbally was something you never imagined.

“Let’s take a walk after this.”

You nodded, not even bothering to ask where.

You had been letting him decide anything and pretty much everything in your new life as his living partner. Even you still found it odd to call yourself his spouse. His …wife. You remembered exactly how simple and modest your wedding ceremony was. Your wedding ring was Doyoung’s mother’s second favorite ring with a little blue sapphire (the number one favorite was already given to his brother’s wife). Your wedding dress was secondhand from your mother. Doyoung also didn’t get a new tux, as he already had 2 or 3 set that barely came out of his closet. The guests coming to your wedding were less than 100, as you and Doyoung requested.

Two days after your D-day, you flew to Jeju. And now there you were. Doyoung ran his dream coffee shop, just like he told you back then—which you thought he was never serious. Yet it turned out he’d planned everything carefully. Alongside with the cafe, he started to expand his business to tourism. He also got you a freelance job to help with writing content for the tour destination, tour package and stuff. He found a local kindegarten as well for you to spend your time with kids teaching this and that. He knew you pretty well that you can’t stand doing nothing at home. Although those jobs weren’t as fancy as your previous job, you still appreciated Doyoung for giving you the chances. For not making you a total homemaker. For still giving you another meaningful life, and a more balanced work-life condition.

Life was pretty good when it wasn’t running fast.

You changed into a beige sleeveless sundress while waiting for Doyoung taking a bath. You styled your hair into a high ponytail. He went out with outfit matching yours. “You ready?”

You nodded as you applied your tinted lipbalm. You walked first to the front door to get your sandals. You were showing him your back while still selecting which sandals to use. Suddenly a pair of arms was looping around your waist and belly from your back. “Doyoung?”

His hands reached yours. He carefully put a ring on one of your fingers, and said, “Happy anniversary.”

You stared at the new ring with dreamy eyes. “What is this?”

“I didn’t get to give you a real wedding ring,” he shyly said as he tightened his embrace. “I was thinking to do this romantically, like by the sea maybe, or that cafe in a tangerine field. But I concluded that home is the perfect place.”

“You don’t have to,” you quietly muttered. “I have received so much from you.” It was hard for you to smile as usual. You knew how selfless he is and how he always prioritize you and your happiness. Sometimes you felt bad for not treating him like how he deserves. You didn’t even know yourself if you’ve done enough to make him happy.

“But I want to.” He reached your hands again to see the new ring on your finger. “The ring my mom gave you is a symbol that you are accepted and now a part of our family. And this ring is a thank you gift, for choosing me, for letting me to be a part of your life, for being here with me. I’m so grateful I don’t how to describe it with words.”

You twirled slowly to face him but his arms were still around your body. Your hands gripped onto his clothes on the waist. You encouraged yourself to look at him in the eyes. There. That loving eyes focusing on you, as if you were the only thing to see. The big grin on his pretty face that wouldn’t lie about how his feelings. “Doyoung, I…” you abruptly paused. I don’t deserve all of these. I don’t even…

Cat got your tongue. It looked like you still had a heart not to say the L word with a negation.

“Jena. It’s kinda weird for me to ask this, but..” Doyoung groggily rubbed the back of his neck. “How do you feel? What do you think of living with me here?”

Your brain worked very hard to arrange good, kind words. You forced a little smile before answering him.

“Are you happy with me?”

“Doyoung, you give me everything, more than I could ask for,” you almost whispered. You brought your hands to carress Doyoung’s cheeks. “I don’t think I would have any reason to be not happy.”

Doyoung found himself chuckling in every breath he took and at the same time he got his eyes a bit teary. He gently pulled you closer to his embrace, then buried his face on your shoulder. You hugged him back by the waist and rest your chin on his broad shoulder.

Your fruity, citrus lemony fragrant penetrated his nose. “You smell like my favorite hand cream,” he mumbled as he sniffed you.

You could feel the tickles from his lips and his nose brushing against your bare shoulder. “You bought me this perfume. You said it was limited edition.” He loosened his grip and faced you again. “Because you are limited edition.” He pursed his lips, feeling grossed and cringed from his own words. “Wait. I shall correct that.”

You tilted your head in question. Some of your hair strands were tucked behind your ears by his gentle gestures.

“You’re not a limited edition. There is only one Jena, and I am very lucky to have her,” he confidently stated as he showed you his big smile. Then he planted a soft kiss on your forehead before he finally let go of you. “Come on, let’s go. Or else, we’ll really stay at home all day long.”