A secret no one knows except one person

NO LONGER

“Jena, your phone is ringing non-stop,” Doyoung told you, half shouting from the living room.

You were busy arranging your groceries in the pantry. As far as you remember, you didn’t have much work so you didn’t bother to care who was calling. “Pick it up. Probably it’s just Donghyuk asking for some weird favor,” you replied to him, half shouting too.

“Okay.”

While you were not looking at his direction, he received the call for you. The call didn’t last long. Doyoung was about to put it back to lockscreen and toss it to your bag, but one single notification popping out on the screen simply attracted him. One of his close friends’ name appeared as the sender. He cautiously observed you who didn’t seem to come back to the living room any sooner.

Doyoung considered himself as someone who couldn’t care any less about anybody else’s business. But this time he couldn’t even stop himself to not peek at your phone. In fact he took it back again before tossing it to your belongings.

 

From: Taeil Moon

Hey, how are you doing? Hope you’ve been good. I guess it’s time that we need to talk.. No, I need to talk. Let me know when you’re free?

 

Doyoung’s eyes got wider as he read the text message from …your boyfriend? Or ex-boyfriend?

Honestly it wasn’t clear between you and Taeil. Two years ago, yes, he was your boyfriend and your relationship was steady. The good things only lasted for around one year. Then things between you started to change. You didn’t know what went wrong, even until now. He slowly pulled himself away from you. In the end he asked for some space. A break for a while seemed to be good, for him. You asked why but he gave you no answer. You pleaded to have a deep talk first before deciding anything. You remembered the only word slipping out of his mouth: please. He said that with his default expression that couldn’t be read. His straight eyebrows didn’t flinch at all, making it harder for you to guess what was on his mind. You couldn’t tell if he was happy, relieved, sad, angry, or depressed to be away from you. Sometimes he showed a very slight smile.

Again, Doyoung peeked at your direction. He could hear chopping sound, assuring him you were still occupied. As far as he knew, Taeil hadn’t spoke to you in a century. He thought Taeil had no intention to contact you anymore. His thumb moved quickly on your phone. “No. No, you don’t,” he whispered coldly towards the message as he selected option to permanently delete it. Sorry not sorry, dear friend, he thought to himself.

“Who was it?” You soundlessly approached the living room, making him startled. He had pretty good reflex that he already put your phone back to lockscreen after exiting from the messenger application.

Doyoung played it cool as he didn’t want to be caught red-handed. “Yeah, it was Donghyuk. He’s with Mark. They’re lost trying to find the seafood restaurant we went last week.”

You sat beside him, offering your friend a plate of freshly cut apples in your hand. “Did you tell them to use GPS?”

“Of course,” he scoffed as he took 3 apple dices.

“Can they use it?”

Doyoung shrugged. “Hopefully.”