6. There were Confetti Everywhere!

I Don’t Know how to Talk to You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So … you quit the café already?” Mina’s question broke the silence of the night.

            They were both walking towards the direction of the university dormitory. The path leading there was illuminated by the bright full moon. As well as the streetlights, of course. Momo had her hands behind her back as she thinks of some topics to say to break the awkwardness before Myoui Mina beats her to it.

            “Nah, I didn’t quit the job. I had a basketball selection for the upcoming department tournament.” Momo answered her, eyes still on the ground.

            “Wow, you play basketball. That’s awesome.” Mina made a mental note about that. There are still a lot to learn about Momo.

            “Since when did you, you know, started … balling?” Mina made hand gestures. Maybe she’s trying to be cool.

            Momo laughed at Mina’s antics on trying to sound like some hip hop artist. Mina nervously laughed and stopped her hand gestures, cheeks red because of the embarrassment for trying to impress Momo.

            “You know what, I should stop with the slangs and hand gestures.” Mina shyly spoke to which Momo chuckled again.

            Momo didn’t knew where the courage came from, but she managed to make Mina, a blushing mess.

            “It’s fine, it’s cute. I mean, you’re cute.” Momo said, eyes still on the dusty path, kicking rocks.

            “I’ve been playing basketball for 4 years now. I have always interested in the NBA and I started playing street basketball. I always played after school at the outdoor court outside my junior high school and my soon-to-be coach happened to see me. He later introduced me to the school team and since then I’m a basketball athlete.” Momo looked at Mina, who just managed to pull herself together.

            “It’s been ages since I last played basketball after finishing my high school though.” She continued speaking.

            “So how did you do? I’m sure you did well. Motor memories never leave you know.” Mina peeked in into Momo’s private life. She was intently listening towards the peach.

            “Yup, it never left. And that’s why this peach right here managed to get into the first five!” Momo smiled from ear to ear.

            Pop! Confetto flew everywhere in front of Momo, making the girl flinched in surprise.

            “Where does that came from?!” Momo exclaimed, her right hands covering her left chest, heart threatens to drop.

            Mina, the culprit, was holding a blown up small confetti cannon and showing her gummy smile, still didn’t realised what she had done.

            “What? This is something we should celebrate.” Mina spoke.

            “Well I didn’t expect confetto to fly around. Where does that came from anyway? Your bag?” Shock still evident in Momo’s face.

            “Yup I had it in my bag, in case for impromptu occasion. Hehe.” Mina threw away the used small confetti canon into the trash bin. They continue walking until the were standing in front of a sliding door.    

            Momo pressed some buttons and voila, the sliding door slides open and Momo gestured Mina to walk in.

            “Ladies first.” Mina smiled at the gesture and walk into the building followed close by Momo. They walked a flight of stairs until they reached the 3rd floor and Momo walked towards her room. She scanned her student card and opened the door.

            Momo invited Mina to enter her humble room and make herself comfortable by sitting on Momo’s bed while she put her shoes on the shoe rack. She turned around to enter her room and realised the gravity of the situation; Myoui Mina, her crush sitting on her bed, Momo turned into a blushing mess. Oh My God! Why the hell did I invite her here?! Momo’s gear suddenly stopped.  

            “Oh my God! Momo are you okay? Do you have a fever? Your face is bright red!” Mina rushed to Momo’s side and put her hand on Momo’s forehead, feeling her temperature.

            “Oh my Gosh! Let me prepare a wet towel!” Mina rushed to the toilet but Momo managed to grab her hand.

            “I-Its okay. Really.” Momo spoke calmly.

            “Really? Are you sure?” Mina said, still no sure.

            “Yup. 110% sure.” Momo reassured Mina and gave her a huge smile.

            Momo prepared towels, a change of cloth, toothbrush and all that was needed to freshen up after staying the night and neatly put it on the bedside table. She then pulled down the mattress from the upper bed and put it on the floor.

            “Voila! You can sleep on the bed, and I will sleep on the floor tonight. I’m too lazy to climb up the stairs.” Momo said and proceed to lie down on the mattress.  

            “Oh … thank you.” Mina sounded a bit …. disappointed?

            Momo quickly turn on her mood lamp and turn off the room’s light.

            “Goodnight Mitan~”

            “Goodnight Momoring~”

-

                        Mina opened her eyes to unfamiliar surroundings. First, it’s not her bed. Second, this is not her room. Almost screaming out loud, she covered and closed her eyes. Think Mina, think!

            Memories of last night flashed back and she opened her eyes in and let out a sigh of relief. She turned to her side and observed the owner of the room, laying on the floor. Wait, correction. The owner of the room is sprawling on the floor with her hands and legs in somewhat an uncomfortable position that anyone looking at Momo would wince in pain. But not Mina. Mina was smiling at the sight in front of her. Maybe because she had a little, tiny weeny bit of a crush at Hirai Momo.

            Truth be told, Hirai Momo caught her eyes on the first day their gazes met. She doesn’t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter