3. Meeting with Angel

I Don’t Know how to Talk to You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was closing time as a tired-looking girl was dragging a pail of water-soap mixture towards the café lounge. She soaked the mop into the pail and pulled it out, causing water to splash everywhere. Momo groaned as some of the water splashed on her apron. Too tired to hold her head up, she looked down as she mopped the floor. In an attempt to ease her boredom, she sang ‘Because of You’ by Park Hyungsik and as the song reached the , Momo sang the top of her lungs.

            She suddenly heard a small giggle and Momo opened her eyes, frightened. Momo was flabbergasted as she turned around and saw a brunette, Mina covering as her shoulders rises along with her cute little giggle. She was watching Momo the whole time when Momo was having fun by herself. Momo felt her world crumbling down into the deep abyss of shame at the instance since she had made of herself in front of Mina.

            ‘I didn’t know that you’re a singer.’ Mina spoke towards Momo complimenting her causing a blush to creep on the latter’s pale face. ‘Your voice is very wonderful.’

            ‘Um, t-thank you Mina-ssi.’ Momo, as usual, stuttered. ‘I thought t-that you’ve went h-home.’ Momo inquired towards the latter.

            ‘Drop the formalities. You can just call me Mina, okay Momo?’ Hearing Mina mentioning her name with the sweet husky voice, Momo hearts melted.

            ‘I was too busy doing my assignment that I forgot that it had been dark.’ The clock’s hand showed that it was 11:00pm and the road outside was already empty. Wind blew the dried leaves that fell onto the ground and cars occasionally pass through the empty road.

            Mina bit her lip and continued ‘Do you mind walk with me to the bus stop?’ Mina desperately tried to avoid eye contact with Momo since it was a big favour to ask of her, especially as it was already dark outside. ‘I’m quite afraid of walking alone ….’ The brunette tried to add when a faint ‘Yes’ interrupted her statement.

            ‘… in the dark’ Mina finished her sentence. Her line of sight fell on Momo as she looked towards the latter, who was scratching her back of the neck. Mina didn’t expect for the sudden answer and she would even understand it if Momo doesn’t want to accompany her.

            ‘I’ll accompany you after I finish mopping the floor and change my cloth.’ Momo smiled giving assurance towards the brunette and gestured for her to take a seat. Mina smiled at her and took a seat near the counter watching the other finished her assigned job.

-

            It took a while for Momo to finish the mopping, especially when there was a certain brunette waiting for her. She dragged the pail full of dirty water and wash it all away into the drain at the toilet before went to the lounge and gestured towards Mina that she would be changing for a bit. It was 11:30 when they finally locked the café and walked towards the bus stop.

            Together, they walked along the empty dimly-lighted road. Most of the shops were already closed since it was weekdays plus, it was already late. Since Momo was a shy person,  the walk was silent, accompanied only by the sound of their shoes stepping on the pavement. Momo knew that she had to speak something to break the ice but she was so tired and her brain cannot even develop a full sentence, let alone speaking with Mina.

            The awkward silence was interrupted when they walked past a convenience store and Momo’s stomach was grumbling, as if her stomach itself knew that they should visit the store for some food. Mina, startled by the sound of Momo’s stomach looked at her with a grin on her face and pulled the latter’s into the convenience store.

            ‘Pick anything. I’ll buy for you.’ Mina said with sparkles in her eyes. Momo politely refused the offer and right on cue, her stomach grumbles again. Momo groans as Mina giggled at the small incident. Momo groans internally and pick a bar of snickers and a bottle of Te Java milk tea. Mina also decided that a bar of snickers wouldn’t hurt and proceed to the counter along with Momo’s items.

            Momo looked at Mina as she pulled out her purse and paid for the late-night snacks with a tint of sadness in her eyes. Momo finally had the courage to speak with Mina again inside this convenience store and she was afraid that they would become awkward again when they stepped outside the convenience store. Momo sigh inside her head and pondered prayed to every deity that she knew off that she would have the courage to break the ice.

            ‘Momo, let’s go.’ Mina ushered Momo and they both exited the store.

            ‘So, where do you stay Mina?’ She doesn’t know it herself but the questions popped out of fluently and Momo was mental pat her head. ‘You did well, Momo-chan.’

            ‘I just live 5 minutes from here by bus.’ Mina flashed her gum

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter