4. Rays of Light

I Don’t Know how to Talk to You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tzuyu was waiting in the café, alone. She rested her chin on her palm while looking outside, staring at many crowds of peoples walking on the busy road heading towards the same direction. Tzuyu was confused about the dense amount of people flooding the road on a sunny Sunday, but then she got her answer when she saw a group of kids wearing baseball jerseys and hats heading towards the baseball stadium nearby.

            She took a deep breathe and stirred her cup of coffee. Another cup of coffee was left untouched opposite her. She observed the steam rising from the cup of coffee as she sipped on hers.

            The bell rang and Tzuyu looked up and took a deep breathe as she observed a girl walking towards her direction. The said girl was wearing a cap, hiding her boyish-cut-hair.

            ‘Sorry I was late. The traffic was horrible since there is baseball game going on right now.’ The girl, out of breath, apologised towards Tzuyu.

            ‘It’s okay Chaeyoung. Here is your favourite coffee.’ Tzuyu gestured towards the cup of coffee opposite her.

            ‘Take your time. Today is going to be very long day.’ Tzuyu gave her smile towards the latter and pulled out her sketchbook and her pencils.

            Tzuyu and Chaeyoung were classmates in the art department. They met during the orientation when Tzuyu accidentally bumped into Chaeyoung.

            ‘Oh sorry, I didn’t see you.’ Tzuyu apologised towards the short girl, to which she received a small nudge on her shoulder.

            ‘Yah, I know that I am short, and you’re so tall, but don’t diss me like that!’ Chaeyoung curled up her fist, obviously annoyed by the tall girl.

            Tzuyu who was confused at ‘why does the small girl nudged her?’ paused to think for a minute before constructing a sentence.

            ‘Oh, I’m sorry. I really didn’t see you just now.’ Tzuyu apologised again and Chaeyoung lower her fists. She scratched her head since she was mistaken and offer her hand towards the tall girl.

            ‘Sorry about that. My name is Chaeyoung. I’m in the Art Department.’ She introduced herself towards Tzuyu.

            Tzuyu took her hand and shook it. ‘Hi, my name is Tzuyu. I’m also in the Art Department. Nice to meet you, Chaeyoung-ssi’ Tzuyu bowed towards the latter.

            Suddenly a swarm of people flooded the hall. Chaeyoung realised that the orientation was starting soon so, she grabbed Tzuyu’s hand and pulled her through the crowd. ‘Come on, the orientation is bound to start.’ Chaeyoung smiled at her new friend, Tzuyu.

            Their lecturers have given the class an assignment; a real-life portrait of the students in the department. Chaeyoung wasted no time in asking Tzuyu to be her model and the latter agreed. Those strings of events led them here, now, in the café, where Chaeyoung was focusing on Tzuyu. She held her pencil in front of her and calculate the ratio inside her mind.

            She dragged the pencil and started scribbling on her artbook. After a few minutes sketching, Chaeyoung decided to start on the details. She looked and observed the latter who was posing by looking outside the café, highlighting her jawline.

            Chaeyoung then observed Tzuyu’s whole face trying to capture the girl’s emotion. She observed Tzuyu and realised that the latter was really a goddess. Chaeyoung felt bad since she can’t really capture Tzuyu’s real beauty in her portrait.

            ‘You’re really beautiful, Tzuyu’ The little cub murmured with a low voice while touching up her portrait of Tzuyu.

            Chaeyoung couldn’t see it but Tzuyu was blushing under the white light, highlighting her red cheeks more radiantly. A small ‘Thank you’ was all that she managed to reply.

            Suddenly the bell rang again, grabbing the attention the Taiwanese as she looked at the source of sound. She couldn’t quite registered yet who just entered when her ear caught a cluttering sound of metal pot dropping at the counter. She turned her head towards the noise and saw Momo, panic in her eyes, as she tried to manage herself towards the sudden scenario happening in front of her.

            Tzuyu returned her line of sight towards the table and saw Mina, smiling and waving towards her. Tzuyu was confused and contemplated on waving back when Chaeyoung turned her head around and waved back.

            ‘Hey Minari! You’re late.’ Chaeyoung spoke with a pout as she dropped the pencil she was holding and rushed towards Mina and hug her before giving her a kiss on Mina’s cheek. Tzuyu’s heart warmed at the cute sight in front of her and she was reminded of Momo and Sana when they gave her kisses on her birthday.

            Her eyes searched for a certain girl, but she was torn when she saw Momo’s expression. Light was missing in her eyes and she noticed that Momo stopped breathing.

            ‘U-unnie’ Tzuyu tried to reach out towards the girl but to her dismay, Momo turned around and walked out through the back door, probably trying to clear her head. Tzuyu swore that she saw Momo’s eyes became glassy as tears started to fall. Tzuyu let out another big sigh. 

-

            Noises. She heard noises everywhere, people conversing as they walked down the street, the sound of the air conditioner vibrating, and the sounds of crows in the skies. Momo looked at the puddle of water in front of her. She looked at the reflection displayed from the puddle; Momo was crouching and her hair was messy. The scenery was somewhat gloomy as crows flying in a circle above her head.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter