heights (ii)

Confessions of a Lonely Soul
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

heights(ii): vettriano paintings

 

 

“Nice work today, .”

She grimaced as a slap landed on her back. Hyoyeon shoved a water bottle into her hand. They both slid down to the floor, backs pressed to the wall of mirrors.

“Back at you.”

“But your stamina is lacking. Work out more.”

“I know.” She said between breaths, gulping down greedily. Her pulse was thumping loudly in her ears. “But you know how it is, Hyo.” Eyes closed, she pressed the bottle against her forehead.

“I know how it is. You just like excuses.”

She resolved to a shrug and stared out across the practice room before her eyes flickered to the dancer resting beside her. She looked tired.

“Lawrence said it was a nightmare to get hold of you.”

“Yeah…well, the company’s been busting my lately. Choreographing for 8 artists – not including you.”

“Yikes.”

“Tell me about it.” Hyoyeon laughed lightly, leaning her head back. “But I wouldn’t change it for the world.”

A sudden pang of envy pricked at her chest. “That’s good to hear.”

“Yeah…teaching you buffoons how to bust a move makes it all worth it. Especially the youngsters.” Hyoyeon shook her head, upturning fondly. “They all want it so bad. It’s like their life depends on it.”

“Because it does - to them.” Taeyeon supplied.

Hyoyeon nodded. “It’s just…kind of sad, you know.”

“I know.”

“There’s this one girl - part of Apollo’s new girl group - she literally practiced until she vomited, and then kept going. Where they get their determination from, I’ll never know.”

“New girl group?”

“Whoops.” She snorted. “It’s meant to be a secret. But…I suppose as my little midget companion,” She grinned over at Taeyeon, elbowing her in the side. “You’re an exception.”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes at the playful jab. “Good one.”

“I know.” Hyoyeon cackled.

“Since when are new girl groups top secret anyway? Especially in this loudmouthed company.”

Hyoyeon shrugged. “Since the whole Peter Kim scandal, Apollo are probably trying to win back their reputation with this girl group.”

She leaned her head back, the headline ‘The Nation’s Favorite Ballad Singer, Peter Kim, Facing ual Assault Allegations’ coming forth from her memories.

“But why the secrecy?”

“From what I heard, they don’t want to mess up. They made a massive loss with the whole Peter Kim thing, so I doubt they’d risk revealing anything until it’s all final.”

Taeyeon hummed, nodding her head.

“I heard one of the higher-ups say that the company’s reputation is resting on these girls.”

“That’s a lot of pressure to put on some rookies.”

“They may be rookies but…” Hyoyeon blew wind from between her lips. “They’re a force to be reckoned with.”

“That good?”

“That good.”

“They sound like machines.”

“They work like it, that’s for sure. Especially the leader.”

“They already have a leader?”

“Well…it’s not official just yet. But I’m pretty sure it’ll be this American girl called Stephanie.”

“Stephanie…” Taeyeon’s mouth seemed to dry up. “Stephanie.”

“Her leadership skills can be spotted a mile away.”

Taeyeon could only make a small noise of acknowledgement as Hyoyeon went on to check the time.

“, we better crack on. You ready to get back to it?”

“Yeah, sure.” Taeyeon pulled on a smile, but as the music blared through the speakers, she realised that she couldn’t quite focus on dancing anymore.
 

 

 

 

 

* * *
 

 

 

 

The look on his face told Taeyeon that he was not happy with her.

“Alright, what have I done this time?” The van door closed with a thud.

His face remained pinched and displeased. The indicator ticked impatiently before he pulled out onto the busy road. “You made me look like an idiot, Taeyeon, that’s what.”

She frowned and sighed at the skyscrapers overhead, awaiting the lecture that was about to come her way.

“I don’t even know what to say to you.”

“Okay…” She stared at his side profile carefully. “What happened?”

“I sit here, I big you up, I tell everyone how talented you are, but you have to go and ruin it.” They sped down the motorway as words ran from his lips clumsily. “It’s like you can’t have a good thing without destroying it. Taeyeon this, Taeyeon that. All I do is blab about you but no matter what good I do, I’m always left looking like an . Do you know how horrible it is for me to hear people talk bad about you?”

“All I did was get in the van and all of a sudden you start lecturing me like you’re my ing mother or something. I don’t even have a clue what you’re talking about.” She stared ahead, jaw tight, ears hot.

“I’m-“

“Whatever.”

They fell into a thick bout of silence. She turned away. Lawrence gripped the wheel tigh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter