Tradition

The Flowers Will Bloom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The King opens his eyes and sits up carefully as he looks around the dimly lit room. Beside him is the Queen, her beauty never leaving her face and it makes him fall for her even more. The sound of bells chiming melodically awakens her and a servant knocks on the door.

 

“Mr. Choi is already in palace grounds.”

 

This might be their alarm clock when the morning sun strikes through the windows. The King turns back to his Queen, caressing her hair with affection.

 

“Good morning, my Queen.”

 

King Jeon takes her hand and gives the back of it a sweet kiss, lingering for a second and she smiles at him. They both sit on the gigantic bed for a few moments, preparing themselves for a whole new  day waiting for them.

 

At the east side of the palace, the first child, Prince Jeonghan is already walking around the garden, observing all the flowers decorated so beautifully. A cup of tea in his hands as he hums a song and behind him another servant calls for his name.

 

The way he turns around is already a sight. There’s always a smile on, hands being elegant themselves, and he bows in return.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Princess Younghee is waiting for you in the piano room.”

 

The Prince’s face finally breaks into a wide grin and he follows the servant’s lead.

 

It’s not a rule, but as the first Prince of the Carat Clan he has the job to wake up earlier than the rest to be the lead for everybody. He’s the King’s left hand—with the Queen being his right—and he has to be alert at all times.

 

Prince Jeonghan slowly opens the door of the piano room with excitement seeping through his skin.

 

“Your Highness,” Soonyoung, the second Prince’s personal helper bows deeply as he meets Prince Wonwoo at the west side of the palace. “Your bath and food are both ready. Which one would you like to attend first?”

 

The Prince hops off from the windowsill, a book in hand. He gently closes the book but he can still see the dust floating away.

 

“I’ll go for the bath. Thank you, Soon.”

 

“You’re welcome!”

 

In his perspective there’s a different and strange feeling with the east and west sides of the palace. He always takes the latter, the place with not much furniture or anything else in it. Lights are always dim on his side and maybe he likes the eerie feeling, maybe it suits him better. Prince Jeonghan always takes the east side but never forgets to have his siblings join him yet they refuse.

 

As the Prince walks ahead, they hear a wail from the south side followed by a boy screaming on top of his lungs. Prince Wonwoo abruptly stops walking and a sigh escapes from his lips.

 

Not again.

 

It has to be the Princess crying.

 

“Jisoo!” He looks to his side and sees the first Prince with Princess Younghee. “Can you please check on the twins upstairs?”

 

“My pleasure.” Jisoo is their most trusted gentleman in the palace—who is also known as the third Prince and Princess’ helper. He bows to the two eldest princes and leaves.

 

Prince Wonwoo sighs yet again.

 

“Still tired?”

 

He gives Prince Jeonghan a shake of his head.

 

“I’m fine.”

 

“Your Highness,” Princess Younghee curtsies to him and he bows back. “It’s good to see you after a long while.”

 

“Likewise.”

 

Prince Wonwoo excuses himself with Soonyoung trailing behind, the latter narrating to him the events for the day.

 

Outside the walls.

 

“Chulsoo!”

 

A grunt.

 

Followed by a very harsh slapping sound and the girl awakens with a scream. She rolls around the thin mattress before sitting up, cursing whoever from her siblings gave her head a blow.

 

They’re such bullies it’s like she’s not their sister at all.

 

“Good morning, my sweet, sweet child.”

 

Chulsoo raises an eyebrow at her father before sitting on her usual spot (on the dining table) inside their very small house.

 

Chulsoo’s raised in a family of eight, she being the eldest of all her siblings. They live outside the walls of the palace where all the working class and the royal family know as the Exceptions, or the rebels. Their house—if she can call it that—measures not even half of the Carat’s servant’s room. Her parents don’t work because they cannot, developing injuries and diseases that they also cannot get treated because everyone is afraid of them.

 

One of the reasons why they hate everything inside the walls.

 

“Do me a favor, Chulsoo,” Her mother emerges from the small kitchen adjacent to the bedroom. “Can you please ask for some beans from the neighbors?”

 

She hates this kind of life.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Your Majesty,” Mr. Choi bows toward the huge dining table. “The Diamond Clan wants to invite you to a grand dinner.”

 

Prince Wonwoo looks over the King and Queen.

 

“Tell them I politely decline the offer.”

 

“Yes, Your Majesty.”

 

“I think we should not,” Prince Jeonghan wipes his mouth with the silk napkin, smiling at Mr. Choi. “When will it be?”

 

“Tonight, Your Highness.”

 

“Jeonghan.”

 

“What?” He raises both hands in the air. “There’s nothing wrong with visiting our allies now, is there? Wonwoo?”

 

His brother always does this to him, forcing him things he doesn’t want to. Wonwoo doesn’t give his answer which creates a slightly awkward atmosphere within the table. Jeonghan shifts around his seat and motions for Mr. Choi to take the offer and leave.

 

“I’ll have the carriages prepared before dinner time.”

 

“Thank you!”

 

When Mr. Choi leaves, King Jeon sighs and rubs his temples. Jeonghan pretends not seeing his stressed face, mostly because of him, and turns to his twin siblings to feed them. Wonwoo puts the silver spoon down and leans on his chair.

 

“The V district,” He looks over his father.

 

A very strict looking man, yet has a kind heart and favors Wonwoo more than anybody else. Unlike when he looks at Jeonghan, he has a very calm atmosphere around him whenever he sees Wonwoo.

 

“How is your job handling the town?”

 

He takes the spoon again and feeds the Princess.

 

“Cooperation at its finest. Everything seems to be going smoothly.”

 

“That’s good to hear.”

 

Jeonghan pouts and leans on the table.

 

“Hyung, please don’t push the table.” Wonwoo has a concentrated look on as he wipes the Princess’ lips.

 

“What about me? Aren’t you going to ask me about the T district?”

 

When Jeonghan was growing up he was very shy. He never wanted to associate with his classmates from other royal families, even shunning his mother who became devastated by his actions. But as time passed by, it seemed like the second Prince’s servant, Soonyoung, infected him with his happy virus. The King could only rub on his temples more.

 

No, he doesn’t hate his son. Jeonghan’s just too loud.

 

“I was going to ask you,” Jeonghan grins. “How about the T district, then?”

 

“I’m glad you asked! You see, the rebels...”

 

Wonwoo looks at them one by one.

 

Chulsoo goes around their neighborhood sporting her usual attire of colored brown garments. As she passes by dingy markets and libraries, old couples greet her along the way. Even though life is hard she always puts on a smile, trying to silently tell everyone that they can still survive this life they call as their life, even though it seems as if they should already be giving up. Maybe that’s why they always favor her and give her their greetings, even if they’re fighting but when she passes by they quickly turn to her and greet her like the King—or Queen—herself.

 

“Grandma!”

 

Chulsoo closes the big, heavy broken door behind her with full force, the small space shaking a bit. There was a thud that alerts her almost deaf grandma about a newcomer and she turns to the younger. The latter gives her a h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter