Messy

7 is the Number of Perfection

I dress nicely, at least I think I do.

But I knew I had to do better because I could not risk standing next to Myoui Mina and end up looking homeless.

I tried to remember the kind of crowd that lived in Mina's neighborhood: snooty, Starbucks-loving, corporate zombies that only wore clothes in gray or blue-gray. I was going to dress adversely. 

For the nth time that morning, I looked in the mirror and scrutinized my outfit: comfy but ready for any temperature change. My confidence was boosted thanks to my favorite leather jacket, and it made me feel a little fancy. Guess I could clean up well.

 

I sat by the door of the Starbucks that I had to Google beforehand, and well, it was no surprise when Mina replied to my location with an "Oh, that Starbucks!" all too well, like she came here everyday. 

Glass doors and windows are so unhelpful. The moment I saw Mina round the corner and make a beeline for the door, she caught a glimpse of me. She stopped directly in front of me, clear glass between us, and smiles the most breathtaking smile that I swear has been burned into my memory. That very moment she smiled at me, I had decided then and there that I, Hirai Momo, would die for her.

 

"So...what do you want to eat?" I sheepishly tried to make conversation as we walked to our Uber.

 

An Uber ride with someone I literally just met. This is going to be the most awkward fifteen minutes of my life.

 

And it was. It was so quiet inside the Uber that I held my breath as not to make any noise. I was sweating through my long-sleeves, and as fly as the leather jacket was, I was beginning to think they were a bad idea.

 

"So, this is how the alphabet looks like." My shaky handwriting on the receipt embarrasses me, but not as much as the pathetic attempt to make small talk with Mina the best way I know: teaching a stranger how to speak and read Korean. 

I watch her as she studied the alphabet intently. She sat across me, eating the lunch I bought for her. I can't look at her straight in the eye, because I feel like I would explode from the overwhelming presence that was Myoui Mina.

****** 

 

"Lisa told me that Jennie really liked her. Huge crush."

"I know."

"Really? How did you know?"

"Duh. Jisoo, come on. I probably got them together, matchmaker Momo! I ran to Lisa when Jennie and I had a falling out and she wouldn't talk to me. I went to Lisa because I learned that Jennie opened up to her. So I thought I'd ask Lisa to look out for Jennie for me. Look how that turned out."

"." 

"Yeah, bull. I didn't know I was driving away my own girlfriend."

"But you do know she and Lisa didn't end up together, right?"

"They still seem pretty close, though. It's okay, Jisoo. It's really fine. Jen and I didn't have the best foundation for a relationship. That was pretty much out of social pressure and visual chemistry,"

"Big words. You running for congress?"

"Shut up."

"So, are you really okay with all this? I mean, you got your new baby on you, right?" Jisoo laughs.

"She is not my baby, and I'm just getting to know her. She's just really cool."

"What's her name? I'm going to stalk her and see if she's too good for you."

"Aren't you best friend of the year, huh? Her name is Mina, but no, Jisoo, do not stalk her. She's alright. I got this."

"See Momo, the moment you say 'you got this' is a red flag for me. You have been diving in and out flings, relationships and whatever the hell these things are. This is a terrible coping mechanism. You know that."

 

"Mina is different."