Rhythm of Your Heart

7 is the Number of Perfection

Mina was everything I liked and more. She was literally perfect in my eyes.

That thought didn't scare me, yet. 

 

We showed up to dance class the week after that...date. 

Dance class was the same; coach was the same; mates were the same.

Only Mina was different. Or maybe it was me. Because now, I honed in on every move she made, every person she interacted with, every little detail about her became so vivid and important to me. It was as if someone had moved all the furniture in the house an inch to the left, and now everything feels normal but I keep bumping into things all the time; Mina was a minor detail in my life that had moved ever so slightly nearer to me, and now everything feels different.

 

But we didn't speak to each other in class.

Because Jennie was in this class, too.

Jennie wouldn't speak to me, either.

 

In a way, it was oddly comforting, that whatever it was Mina and I had was kept between us, in private.

 

Jennie never spoke to me after everything, but there seemed to be an unconscious agreement to act civil in public. We were never showy even when we were in a relationship, so the class hadn't found it peculiar. Besides, nobody gave a about personal affairs when you were being drilled to be the best dance crew in the city.

 

One day, Mina asked me after practice: "Do you have a crush on that Jennie?" 

I stopped walking, and so did she. The weather was fair but I suddenly began to sweat profusely.

I almost choked on my own spit. "Sorry? Say that again?"

Mina smiled with her gums exposed, and my stomach flipped. I love you. The afternoon sun drenched her in a dusky, golden veil that emphasized just how unreal she was. 

"I said, do you like Jennie? You keep looking at her during practice, and you flinch when she comes near you." 

 

Momo, please don't say anything stupid. But was it time to be honest? There was no hint of any jealousy in Mina's voice, just pure curiosity. But maybe she needed to know where I stood, to assure her I wasn't just flirting with everybody in class.

 

"Do you want to get coffee?" I motioned to the Starbucks just ahead of us. Mina nodded, understanding that the conversation was about to be a little more concrete.

Communicate, Momo.

 

"Your hibiscus tea with pomegranate pearls, Miss." I handed Mina her drink in the most exasperated manner. Rich kids had to drink some fancy fruity teas because it was their social symbol. I told Mina this and she kicked me in the leg under the table, laughing.

I sat across Mina, taking her in for a few moments. I really wanted this to turn out well. it up, Momo. Being honest is important.

"So...about Jennie." I fidgeted. I had difficulty expressing myself in any other way that wasn't dance. "I don't like her."

Mina blinked, "That's all?" She laughed. "You didn't have to buy me a drink to say that, it isn't a big deal, Momo. I just wanted to as-"

"Jennie is my ex-girlfriend." I spat that out so fast I could change careers and start rapping for cash. I couldn't bear to look at Mina after that deal-breaker of a revelation.

 

Mina was quiet. Quieter than usual. I was afraid to look up, and so i kept my head down. I felt and heard her get up from her seat.

 

I ed up. She's leaving.

 

To my surprise, a pair of arms hooked around my shoulders and i felt Mina's head against mine. I almost melted in my seat.

"Momo, you don't have to be scared. Please, whatever you are thinking, or overthinking for that matter, please stop?"

We stayed that way a little longer, Mina kept me close, and her heartbeat lulled me into a calm as my breathing slowed, and my heart paced in time with hers, in a silent dance only we could see.