Sanctuary

7 is the Number of Perfection

A/N: don't forget the playlist linked at the beginning of this story!

----

 

Post-dance practices became the time to talk to Mina. Until I mustered the strength to ask for her number. Then, once-a-week conversations became daily routines. 

 

Mina was cool. She knew what to care about, and knew what not to give s about. It made me comfortable around her.

 

"Momo?"

 

"Yes babe?" Ah, . That slipped out. I glanced up at the studio mirror and saw Mina holding her phone, mouth agape. 

 

"Sorry, force of habit." I apologized and returned to my stretching.

 

I felt her behind me, and she leaned over to whisper, "Don't let Jennie hear you." 

 

I felt my entire body and soul shudder at the sensation. Dear god please take me now. Mina was something else. I'd never seen that side of her. I guess we were both stepping it up.

 

I sighed, as my mind flashed back to when Jennie would hate it when I called her pet-names in public. She'd hit me and laugh, which was why I would do it over and over. Whenever I called her Jennie, it was always within the confines of four walls, our eyes locked onto each other, baring all honesty and vulnerability. 

 

I shook it off, not wanting to compare anything that was happening in the present. 

___________________

 

 

"Yo."

 

"Facetime? Sure. Just the timing. I've something I need your opinion on."

 

"And that being?" 

 

"A new routine. I need to know if it'll be good enough to propose for next month."

 

"Myoui Mina, all your routines are great." I emphasized the last word, as I tapped on the Video icon for Facetime. 

 

I watched as my screen came to life, fading out the black into an unobscured view of Mina smiling up from her bed. "Hi." 

 

And I almost dropped my phone on my face. Didn't quite catch my heart though. That fell. Hard. 

 

"Hey."

 

"You're absolutely biased. You haven't even seen the routine."

 

"Okay, then. Show me a bit, and then I'll give you an objective comment." I teased. 

 

Mina got up from her bed and propped her phone up on her side table. It took so much self-control not to make faces seeing Mina in her sleepwear. I hope she couldn't see me sweating in HD. 

 

"Why are you sweating?" 

 

"W-what?" 

 

"Nothing." Mina laughs, and switches on the music from her laptop. "Okay, watch carefully." 

 

******

 

There's something about the way Mina says hello on the phone, and I know that no matter where our conversations go, the only thing that matters is that we can hear each other. Three-hour videocalls, most of it spent doing other things; just being together albeit virtually. Something about that feels so domestic, so much like home. I sleep opposite of the direction Mina does, so it looks like we're next to each other over the phone. It's cheesy. It's lame. 

 

It's lame. Because I can't get it out of my throat: that small you're beautiful, when she's her most vulnerable. When she's at her sleepiest, when she's at her most comfortable, when she isn't dressed up and made up. I love that the most about her. The way she talked about a million things, how much she knew - icebreaker knowledge, general knowledge, dark knowledge - you name it. Mina was colossally interesting, a universe of her own. She was interesting without trying. 

 

The only explanation I could ever think of was that crossing paths with Mina was no accident. Of all the other people in dance class other than Jennie, it had to be Mina. 

 

Mina and I never really spoke or interacted in class before all of this, we just knew each other because we were always picked to demo to the class, two separate entities. Never really having the chance to sit down, to talk to each other. We only respected each one for the craft. Mina was such a hella good dancer, it was so poetic to watch her move. As if her body invented dance, or that if we managed to mimic her movements, it would barely be a fraction of how precise she was. 

 

I never pushed for the Universe to bring me closer to Mina - especially not when Jennie and I were together. 

 

The more I thought about how impossible it was for me to talk to Mina on my own, the more I believed in a higher power.

 

*****

Pull me oh so close, 'cause you'll never know just how long our lives will be. 

Mina had already fallen asleep when I peeked at the Facetime call. 

 

I moved my phone carefully and switched it to mute before taking a screenshot. I didn't know if that was creepy, but Mina asleep made me wish so much more to be able to sleep next to her, to her hair, sing her lullabies so she'd sleep better, to tuck her in. 

 

And to be the first face she'd see when she wakes up. 

 

But that couldn't happen - so I had to live with what I could get. The little things that mattered, like knowing she slept on one side, and she hates sleeping with the lights on, and that Mina doesn't sleep well without the airconditioning on full. 

 

The little details about Mina mattered the most to me, because that is what sets you apart from knowing about someone and really knowing who they are.