Odds

7 is the Number of Perfection

A/N: This story comes with a playlist. Find the title of songs according to the chapters. Thank you!

7 is the Number of Perfection PLAYLIST

----

Hirai Momo always had everything figured out.

Momo always thought she had the upper hand, always two steps ahead, over everything. She hated losing control of things and situations. 

She hated spontaneity.

Until Myoui Mina came along.

-------

"Jen, why have you been avoiding me? You haven't been talking to me. Is it because of work? What can I do to help?" 

Momo. So simple-minded and naïve back then; Troubles with the girlfriend. Running to mutual friend for advice. ing up.

"Lisa, can you see if Jennie's okay? She hasn't been coming home to the apartment after work. And she keeps delaying responses. I hope she's okay. Talk to her for me, yeah?"

Momo, couldn't you have figured it out then and there? Why Jennie chose to run to Lisa instead and left without a warning or goodbye? 

Flowers on social media. 'Happy birthday, Lisa. -J' the caption read.

The more Momo read and reread the caption, the more every word felt like daggers to her stomach. She had made her decision.

 

Fast forward to a year later.

 

"Jennie really liked Lisa. But Lisa said it was too complicated, so they didn't hit it off."

Oh, Momo, i guess your gut feeling was right.

But sometimes, it failed, too.

 

It's like the gut feeling function gets overriden by an infatuation command, and is disabled for as long as you are affectionately occupied with a person. Gut feelings couldn't save me from what was to come.

 

Because Myoui Mina came in like a quiet wave lapping the seashore on a golden afternoon. And those gentle waves, they draw you in hypnotically; farther and farther into the deep, until you notice your feet don't touch the sand anymore.

 

I had met her in July but it felt like my soul had known her since forever.

I felt like there was a higher reason she came into my life, and not just to save me from my loneliness. 

 

You know the old saying, "Too much of "feeling" and not thinking makes the brain dull--" or something to that effect. I don't know, I paid little attention to literature and more on Mina when that was discussed.

Jennie became easy to forget, not because I'm a heartless , but because of how the red flags surfaced when I woke up. From that "gut-feeling-override" I was talking about earlier.

Jennie became easy to forget, because Mina was there in the in-between, when I was hurting and dejected. 

Jennie became easy to forget, because Mina always made me remember: who I was, and how to heal. 

Jennie became easy to forget, because Mina made herself known.