Chapter 23

The Stepbrother

 23

“Shouldn’t you be joining them? It's cold out here.” 

Yoongi blows out a huge cloud of smoke, shrugging. “Not yet.”

Hara shivers and nods, accepting the answer. As long as he’s considering it. 

“What about you?” Yoongi arches an eyebrow, looking at Hara. “Jungkook turned out to be quite a nice guy, no?”

“Under all those layers of issues, sure,” Hara mutters and Yoongi gives her an amused smirk. 

“But aren’t we all a little flawed?” Hara doesn’t dignify that with an answer and sighs. 

“What’re you gonna dress up as? The party is in two days.” 

Yoongi groans and looks out over the campus.

It’s lunch break, the benches on the grass area are all vacant due to the cold, and the two of them are on the rooftop, as always. Jungkook, Hoseok and Taehyung are currently probably eating in the dining hall, rekindling their broken friendship now that a couple of things are in the clear. 

No one has explicitly told Jungkook what went down last friday, but the sudden change in his friends’ behaviour is testament enough that Hara’s meddling benefited him. Plus, Hara is pretty sure Jimin must’ve told him about the whole confrontation when Jungkook dropped by during one of his weekly visits after they had left.

And the fact that Jungkook, through Hoseok, extended an invitation to Yoongi for the annual Halloween party he hosts only further proves that he knows their dynamics have changed because his friends know the truth now. 

Hara is surprised that he didn’t have a breakdown, his fragile ego should’ve taken a huge blow now that his past is in the open, but Jungkook doesn’t seem angry or embarrassed.

No, he seems grateful, ing happy now that his friends have returned to him. Hara hates the way he has been staring at her in class, or the way he has been leaving the dinner and breakfast table early so she can eat without feeling uncomfortable. It's his way of showing gratitude and it's getting on her nerves because it's bloody working. 

Sora and Yunho both seemed like they were treading on glass around Hara, so when she started showing up in the dining hall they both did their best to avoid the topic of the engagement altogether.

Hara appreciates it but at the same time she hates the guilt settling on her shoulders for forcing them to switch subjects just so it won’t bother her. 

She can’t wait to leave in December. 

“A zombie.” Hara snaps out of her thoughts and looks over at Yoongi. “I’m going as a zombie.”

“Kinda an overrated choice, half of the students are probably gonna look just like you,” Hara says, and Yoongi rolls his eyes. 

“Two days is too short a notice, plus this isn’t really my type of thing.”

“Didn’t you go last year?” Hara asks, and Yoongi sighs and nods. 

“Unfortunately. Was too busy snorting crack to worry about my costume, though.” Hara bites her lip and grimaces, instantly regretting having asked but Yoongi just shrugs. “What about you? Any ideas?”

“I’ll figure something out,” Hara says, pulling her phone out of her pocket to check the time. “Lunch break is over. See you later.”

The day passes by in a blur. 

Hoseok and Taehyung meet her in the hallway, waiting by her locker when she leaves her last class. Jungkook had stayed behind, probably to talk to the teacher, but Hara has a feeling it is because he isn’t ready to face her just yet.

Good. The feeling is mutual. 

“So, have you decided yet?” Taehyung asks, and Hara sighs, shaking her head. “What about a witch?”

“Too mainstream,” Hoseok comments, “we want something fresh, something new.”

“Batwoman?” 

“Too y,” Hara says, and Taehyung wriggles his eyebrows at her when she has put her books away. 

"Uuuh, I like-”

“Don’t even think about it,” Hara snaps, playfully punching Taehyung’s shoulder, and the boy dramatically falls against the lockers next to them. Hoseok snickers and grabs Hara by the arm, pulling her along so they can exit the building. 

“I have a suggestion,” he says, completely ignoring Taehyung who scrambles after them with an angry pout on his face. “A police officer.”

Taehyung is in the middle of reaching for Hoseok’s hair when he freezes, eyes widening, and Hara stops walking and turns to frown at him. Hoseok grins wickedly. 

“Police officer?” Hara asks, still frowning at Taehyung who looks like he has seen a ghost, and Hoseok vigorously nods from next to them.

“Yes, a y police officer, with the handcuffs and all. It’ll look amazing.”

“I don’t know, doesn’t seem like something I’d be comfortable dressing up as,” Hara mutters, reaching over to push Taehyung’s shoulder lightly, “and what’s the matter with you?”

Taehyung snaps his mouth shut and shakes his head.

"Nothing. Hah. I’m just preparing myself for the party, there’s probably gonna be some scary costumes. But, uh, you should dress up as a police woman. Like totally. It’ll look awesome, doesn’t need to be y.”

Hara stares at the grinning boy for a moment before turning towards Hoseok who offers her an equally disturbing smile. 

“You guys are being weird. Why are you being weird?”

“Nothing, seriously!” Taehyung grabs Hara’s hand and tugs her along towards the parking lot. “I’m starving, dinner’s on me!”

“Can you slow down, oh my god, Tae,” Hara laughs, stumbling after him, and Hoseok snorts, following them, a big smile on his face.

They reach Taehyung’s car and find their seats, and Hara sighs as she clasps her seatbelt shut. Yoongi doesn’t bring his motorbike to college, in fear that some of the less accepting students might just around with the brakes, instead he usually takes the bus, so Hara is pleasantly surprised when she sees him walking up to them, hands in coat pockets, face twisted into a small scowl. 

“Isn’t- isn’t that Yoongi hyung?” Hoseok asks, quickly reaching over to open the car door, and Yoongi grumpily enters next to him, snapping his seatbelt shut before putting his hands in his pockets and staring at the back of Taehyung’s seat. 

Both Hara and Taehyung have turned around in their seats, frowning at the boy, and the car is silent as they all wait for him to talk. 

“It’s cold,” is all he says, and Taehyung dumbly nods while Hara snorts. Hoseok hides a grin behind his fist, looking out of the window next to him, and Hara shakes her head and turns around in her seat, her smile slowly fading when she notices Jungkook staring at them from a couple of parking spots away. 

His smile is genuine. 

It’s ing real and adoring, and Hara hates how her heart warms up.

Sunny is animatedly discussing something with her clones, some of the jocks Jungkook has been hanging out with are showing each other stuff on their phones, and Jungkook is leaning against his car, arms crossed over his chest, a knowing glint in his eyes as he watches Hara stare at him. 

He looks happy and content.

Hara’s original plan was to show everyone Jungkook’s true colours and to repair a ed up friendship, and that is exactly what she ended up doing, except she never knew Jungkook would benefit from this all. 

And Jungkook, who had been scared and angry in the beginning, now looks so content, so ing glad that something he himself once used to fear has come true. He had been so lost in his own demons that he’d forgotten how many lives he had been ruining, and Hara fixed every mistake he had never dared to even consider approaching.

“Are we gonna sit here all day or do you plan on driving?” Yoongi says, and Hara snaps out of her thoughts just as Taehyung sheepishly apologizes and quickly turns around to start the car. Hoseok playfully pushes Yoongi’s shoulder as scolding and the older boy just shrugs, lips tugging into a small smile. 

They eat at a small diner, Taehyung almost fights Hara over the bill but wins and pays for them all, and then they’re on their way home. Hara still insists that Taehyung drops her off at the bus station near the Red Lake park, as usual, and thankfully Yoongi’s with them this time so he supports her and the discussion is shorter than it usually is. 

One the walk home while she is shivering and mentally going over the next day's agenda, Hara slowly comes to the realization that the stupid Halloween party on Saturday is hosted by Jungkook. As in, her stepbrother.

Which basically means it’s gonna be held in his house where she also fricking lives. 

 “Good evening-”

“I’ve already had dinner, is Jungkook home?” Hara cuts Leeteuk from his usual greeting, and the butler blinks in surprise but nods. 

“Yes, young master Jeon has just finished eating. I presume he is in his chambers.”

Hara takes off her shoes and coat and quickly rushes into the living room, coming to an abrupt stop when she notices the couches missing. The living room looks ten times bigger than usual, and the maids are in the middle of hanging up decoration. Hara quickly moves past them and rushes down the hallways, her nerves buzzing as she finds the hidden staircase down to Jungkook’s room. 

She thankfully finds him quicker than she anticipated, and she comes to a halt in the living room space, panting slightly. 

Jungkook is very obviously surprised but he just arches an eyebrow, tucking his phone away before standing up from the couch. 

“Did something happen?”

“You’re gonna throw a party,” Hara says, and Jungkook frowns, slowly nodding. “In this house.” 

“I am aware.”

“Jungkook, I live here.” Hara throws her hands up. “Did it ever occur to you that someone might snoop around and figure that out?” 

“I’m gonna make sure to keep the doors locked, no one’s figuring anything out,” Jungkook says, shaking his head. Hara narrows her eyes.

“What about your girlfriend?” Jungkook stares at her for a moment before blinking in realization. 

“Sunny knows not to do that.” Hara slowly nods, not fully convinced but it’s late and she’s tired. Jungkook’s jaw clenches. “And she’s not my girlfriend.”

Hara frowns. “Yunho said she is, and you didn’t exactly deny it.”

“We’ve never properly dated, but our parents want us to, there’s a difference,” Jungkook mutters, sighing. Hara stares at him for a moment and then nods, shrugging. 

“Explains the clinginess. But okay. Fine. Just make sure she doesn’t do anything stupid during the party.” 

She turns on her heel and starts walking out of the living room, but she can suddenly hear footsteps behind her and she stops, turning around to find Jungkook nervously standing in front of her. 

This is the first time Hara has spoken to him since the rejection last week. This is also her first time back to his man cave, and memories from last time suddenly resurface, sending a deep blush up her neck.

Judging from Jungkook’s amused eyes, he’s also remembering their not so sibling-like confrontation.

“What?” Hara mutters, not able to handle the embarrassment anymore, and the amusement seems to be wiped off Jungkook’s face in an instant. He his lips and motions with his hand, randomly, before stuffing it into his pant pocket.

He clears his throat. "You’re coming to the party, right?” 

Hara blinks in surprise.

Jungkook is very visibly trying to conceal his emotions, a habit he has formed since childhood to protect himself from the world, but there is hope in the way his eyebrows arch, and Hara feels her heart skip a beat for some reason.

Things aren’t the way they used to be.

Hara has unraveled all of his secrets, just as he has with her, and his stupid ego seems to have permanently left. There is an explanation for his choices, for his behaviour, and now that Hara knows that, the boy seems to have changed in her eyes. Jungkook is different, he is good.

Well, at least around Hara. 

“I live here, dimwit.” Hara thinks that it is stupid, thinks that it is dangerous, but it’s fine. She can indulge herself a little. Just a tiny bit before she leaves. “It’s not exactly like I have a choice.” 

Jungkook fails miserably at hiding his relief, and he slowly breaks out into a grin, surprising Hara who takes a step back because her heart has skipped a beat again, it can’t possibly be healthy at this point. 

“I’m-I’m tired,” she mutters, looking away, “gotta sleep, goodnight.”

She quickly turns on her heel and rushes down the hallway and then up the stairs, completely missing the fond grin on Jungkook’s face as he watches her leave. 

Yeah, this might be a big mistake on Hara’s side, but she knows there’s not much time left until she has to leave this place. It just won't happen.

There’s no way her feelings for Jungkook can develop more than they’ve already done. 

There just isn't, Hara thinks and then briefly wonders why her heart fills up with disappointment at the prospect of that being true.