Chapter 8

The Stepbrother

8

Jungkook’s pupils dilate, his jaw clenching, and Hara feels her heart skip a beat when he slams his hands on each side of her head. 

Oh boy. 

“Say it again,” Jungkook dares, and every alarm in Hara’s head goes off because she feels excitement for a split second, proper and utter ual excitement. 

This is wrong. Jungkook might be a , but he’s her stepbrother before that. What the .

“Move, Jeon.” 

Hara looks away when Jungkook’s eyes move down to her lips, and she can’t believe that he’s radiating the same energy as her, the same . 

Nope, just a huge ing no. 

“Move,” she repeats, this time more firmly, and Jungkook for some ed up reason reaches up and curls his big fingers around Hara’s jaw, tilting her head up so she’s staring directly into his amused eyes, and Hara realizes he’s having fun while tormenting her. 

She wants to rip him to shreds. 

Jungkook bites his lip for a second, unable to hide the smirk that forms and he huffs in disbelief. “Why do you look good when you’re angry?” 

Never in a million years would Hara ever expect to hear those words come out of Jungkook’s mouth, let alone directed at her. 

No ing way. 

“What?” she whispers, horrified that she actually felt a skip in her heartbeat at the words.

Jungkook leans in closer, and Hara can smell his minty breath, probably from having recently brushed his teeth. 

“I’m not giving you Taehyung’s number,” Jungkook murmurs instead of answering the question, slight annoyance evident in his features for a fleeting moment before it is replaced by determination. “I will show you around tomorrow.”

“I don’t want you to,” Hara snaps.

“You don’t have a choice. Father wants me to do it.” Jungkook scoffs lightly. “Did you forget who’s giving you this opportunity to begin with? The least you can do is listen to him.”

Hara narrows her eyes in anger and clenches her hands into fists, pure hot fury bubbling in her abdomen, but she closes her eyes and drags in a deep breath, willing herself to calm down before she does something stupid. 

She needs to get out of here before both of them do something stupid. 

“Fine. But no one can know about our relationship.” Hara opens her eyes to find Jungkook staring at her lips, and she refrains from reaching out and flicking his forehead into oblivion. “I don’t want even one soul knowing you’re related to me in any way.”

“Gladly.”

Jungkook doesn’t move, though, and Hara sighs and pushes against him, to no avail because the boy is made out of bricks.

“Are you done being weird or do I have to kick you in the balls?” Hara snaps, arching an eyebrow impatiently, and Jungkook pushes his tongue against the inside of his cheek, exasperation but amusement evident in his expression, and Hara comes to the horrifying realization that she finds it attractive. Hot, even.  

“You’re quite special aren’t you, birdie?” 

Hara holds her breath when Jungkook pretends to accidentally lose his footing, he’s face suddenly moving awfully close to hers, but he smirks and takes a step away, giving her some very much needed breathing space.

Hara doesn’t waste a second in roughly pushing against him as she speedwalks away from him and his bloody dungeon. 

She makes it to her room, panting like crazy because she ran all the way up, and she locks the door for good measure and flops onto her bed, heart thundering in her chest and mind replaying everything that happened on loop

What the absolute hell just happened?