Chapter 9

The Stepbrother

 9

“You’re not wearing your uniform?” 

“Good morning to you too, mother,” Hara pointedly says and refrains from rolling her eyes at her mom’s horrified expression. She sits down in the chair next to her and grabs a toast and a butterknife. 

“You’re going to college looking like a beggar.” Sora clicks her tongue and shakes her head in disappointment.

Hara couldn’t care less about her mother’s preferences and picks up a thick glob of butter with the knife, gently spreading it onto the toast. 

“Sora, Hara darling,” Yunho greets from behind them as he enters the dining hall and walks up to his seat, a wide grin on his face, “good morning.”

“Good morning, honey.”

“Morning.” Hara bites into the surprisingly sweet bread and looks around while lazily chewing. She stalls for couple of moments before realizing patience isn’t her best suit and swallows mushy remains of toast. “Where’s Jungkook?” 

Yunho fills a glass with cherry juice, organic probably, and smiles. “He is going to be here soon, enjoy your food in the meanwhile.”

Hara just shrugs and resumes eating. 

She thinks about the events from last night and ignores the heat that spreads up her neck, her cheeks warming up just at the thought of what could have happened between them.

Jungkook is a confirmed f-boy.

Hara doesn’t need any confirmation, his very behaviour is a statement. She just hopes he doesn’t try his charms on her again because as much as she would like to deny it, she did feel something last night. 

They’re siblings, for god’s sake. 

But only for three months, her brain supplies, and only on papers if Yunho marries Sora. 

Hara pushes the voice away and shakes her head slightly just as Jungkook enters the room, his expression the same usual emotionless one, except there’s a slight pull to his lips and Hara flushes deep when he sits down across from her instead of in his usual seat.

Yunho and Sora also notice it, but none of them say anything, in fact Yunho hides a smile behind his glass. 

“So, Hara,” he says after a couple of moments of awkward silence. “Are you looking forward to today?” 

“Not really.” Hara doesn’t beat around the bushes and looks over at Yunho, ignoring the piercing heat in the side of her face where Jungkook is sharply staring. “I don’t really look forward to entering the devil’s nest.”

“Hara,” Sora warns, but Yunho laughs, a little surprised and arches an eyebrow as he puts his glass down. 

“Devil’s nest?”

“Yeah.” Hara shrugs. “There’s gonna be rich, spoiled brats left, right and center. They’ve probably gotten away with everything their whole lives and today they’re being fed fresh meat. Wouldn’t be surprised if I don’t make it out of there.” 

“She’s got a very peculiar sense of humour,” Sora tries, an embarrassed lilt to her tone, but Yunho is thoroughly amused as he slowly nods.

Jungkook subtly rolls his eyes and focuses on his cereal. 

“I’m just saying,” Hara says, “don’t wait up for me today if Siwon can’t find me on campus.”

“Siwon is not driving you today,” Jungkook says, and Hara looks over at him, ignoring the skip in her heartbeat. Jungkook grabs his cup of coffee and puts it to his lips. “I am going to take care of that.”

Hara ignores the slight annoyance she feels and forces a smile onto her lips. “Great. How will I ever be able to thank you enough?” 

“Showing me respect will suffice,” Jungkook shoots back, placing his cup on the table with a sharp thud, and Hara refrains from scoffing. 

“Okay.” Yunho laughs awkwardly and then briskly gets to his feet. “I have a meeting to attend soon, Sora is joining me as well so I suggest you two keep your heads cool and get to school on time.” 

“Of course, dad.” 

“Sure, Yunho-ssi,” Hara says, and she can’t help the taunting smile she sends Jungkook because he is a literal daddy’s boy. 

“Enjoy yourself today, darling. Oh, and if you want, Jungkook can even take you out for lunch afterwards.” Yunho stops in the exit and allows Sora to leave before him. “There is a nice cafe on campus, I am sure Jungkook won’t mind taking you there if you please.”

“That sounds great,” Hara lies, smiling, “thanks.” 

Yunho nods, a wide grin on his face at the idea of his children getting along so well, but the second he leaves Hara jumps to her feet and points an accusing finger at Jungkook. 

“I am not getting in the car with you.”

Jungkook snorts. “You don’t have a choice.” 

“I do in fact have a choice,” Hara snaps, “if I remember correctly you’ve got a driver.”

“Dad’s taking Siwon. I've given our personal drivers a month off.” 

Jungkook looks up, his hard stare signaling the end of the discussion, and there is clearly no room left for argument, but Hara has a habit of sitting on top of her suitcases to flatten her clothes until there is more space left. Making room is her forte. 

“Google Maps exists. See you there.”

She turns and leaves the hall without another word, and as she makes her way down the hallways leading to the living room she stalls and bites her lip. 

Taehyung would be really helpful, if only he gave her a bloody call. Jungkook seems like he’d rather stab his toe than give her Taehyung’s number, so Hara suppresses an annoyed groan and keeps moving in the direction of the main entrance. 

“Good morning, miss,” Leeteuk greets, a polite smile on his face when Hara enters his post, and she finds it a little helpful in lifting her spirits, returning it with what she hopes is an equally pleasant smile. 

“Morning. Is Siwon around?” 

She pulls on her shoes and grabs her coat from the hanger before Leeteuk can do it, offering him a sheepish smile when he frowns a little.

“The chauffeur has left to master and Sora-ssi to the company building,” he explains, and Hara zips her coat up along with any hope of avoiding the biting cold outside. 

She sighs and steps up to the door but Leeteuk beats her to it and smiles nervously, his tone pensive when he points in the direction of the living room. 

“Is the young master going to take you to college today? I believe I received instructions from him about not letting you leave before him.”

“Of course you would,” Hara mutters under her breath but plasters on a big smile and laughs. “He was supposed to but something came up and his friends are dropping me off instead.”

“Are these friends Kim-ssi and Jung-ssi?” Hara guesses those are the surnames of Taehyung and Hoseok, and she slowly nods. “Miss, the young master has informed me that they will be catching a ride with you two after he picks them up.” 

“Can’t I at least wait outside?” Leeteuk looks stressed, Hara feels a little guilty for causing this much commotion already, but she tries putting on her best puppy eyes and arches both eyebrows in expectation. “Please?” 

“I believe it would not hurt if you-”

“Thank you!” Hara throws open the door and jumps out before Leeteuk can change his mind, and she doesn’t stop jogging away from the front porch even when Leeteuk calls after her, his tone distressed. 

She hits the open button on the gates and rushes out before they’ve fully pulled apart, and she jogs away from the house, giggling in triumph over such a small thing. 

Any act of defiance against Jungkook is worthy of a celebration, anyways. 

It isn’t until she reaches the bus stop that she realizes she’s got zero idea where the school is located, and judging by the lack of students at the station, she’s either too late or too early. 

Hara pulls her phone out and blinks in surprise when she sees a notification signalling a text from an unknown number. 

Your impatience is insufferable.

She doesn’t have to guess to know who sent it, and she fires back a response while sitting down on the fancy waiting bench. 

There’s heating in the white marble. Maybe Hara could get used to this luxury.

at least it’s more tolerable than your ever-expanding ego

A car drives by and Hara shudders when a cold breeze attacks her. Her phone suddenly buzzes again and she glares at the screen. 

Your lack of basic grammar skills is also quite displeasing.

do u always text like a grandpa?

She knows of questions marks, let’s hope periods and commas are also included in her very limited vocabulary.

Hara scoffs in indignation. 

first of all, stop writing to me in third person’s pov, it’s disconcerting. secondly, i sure hope u don’t expect this to become a fixed thing because texting u requires the sacrifice of multiple braincells that i will be needing for this semester. and lastly, please refrain from texting this number, like ever again. i don’t want anyone finding out about my affiliation to u. 

Hara doesn’t wait for his reply and turns around to read the timetable on the wall behind her. The buses apparently come in 12 minute intervals, and the last one came 8 minutes ago, leaving exactly one minute before Hara made it to the stop. 

Her phone buzzes and she angrily whips it out of her pocket and flicks it on. 

This semester only? Don’t you plan on continuing after finals?

Hara blinks and quickly rereads her message, grimacing in annoyance when she realizes that she did in fact slip in important information regarding her plan. But Jungkook doesn’t know that. 

i like focusing on one thing at a time, sue me for being dedicated. 

She bites her lip and sends him another text. 

did i not say to stop texting this number? 

Hara shivers when the wind picks, and she pulls her coat closer to her body. Her phone buzzes again and she suppresses an angry groan. 

You did do that, but I had to.

because? 

Because I needed for you to stay where you are. 

Hara frowns. 

what do u mean stay where i am? 

Hara receives the reply in the form of a loud roar behind her, and she whips around towards the street, her eyes wide in surprise. 

Jungkook rolls down the window of his maserati and leans over. “Get in.” 

“You’re really annoying, you know that?” 

“It’s cold, Hara. Get in.” Hara ignores the shiver that runs down her spine, blaming it on the cold air rather than the way her name rolls off his tongue, and turns away from him. 

“No need, I’ll find my way there.” 

“Stop being stubborn and get inside before you catch a cold,” Jungkook snaps, and Hara scoffs, turning towards him with her arms crossed over her chest. 

“I have no intentions of getting in the car with a snob like you, especially not after last night.” Hara hadn’t meant to say that, but the cold has rendered her brain dysfunctional and she tries not to grimace when Jungkook arches an eyebrow in surprise. 

“What about last night?” he asks, and Hara hates how she feels a skip in her heartbeat. 

“Nothing. Forget that I mentioned it.” 

Hara turns away from him and starts walking down the sidewalk, but Jungkook keeps driving next to her, albeit at a snail’s pace, and Hara feels a little satisfaction at the frustration he must be dealing with.

A sports car driving slower than a grandma walking across the road, that’s definitely gonna take a toll on his monkey brain. 

“Hara, stop being annoying and get inside.” 

“What was that? I’m sorry but my ears aren’t good at picking up bull,” Hara loudly says, looking ahead as she continues walking. 

Jungkook suddenly slams the horn and she jumps and curses under her breath, but she doesn’t give him the satisfaction of turning towards him. 

“Continue doing that and someone might just notice us.” Hara throws him a quick glare over her shoulder but doesn’t stop walking. “I wonder how you’re gonna explain to them that the girl you’re annoying is your future sister.”

“Step-sister,” Jungkook pointedly snaps, and Hara ignores him in favour of turning down the corner of the street. 

She no longer hears the car following her, but she doesn’t turn to check, instead sighing in relief. There aren’t many people out on this road, but Hara knows for a fact that at the end of the street she’ll enter the downtown area where she first met Jungkook. 

She mentally prepares herself for the onslaught of curious looks and rude comments, but all of a sudden she hears footsteps nearing her and she barely has time to turn around before she’s hoisted up. 

“What the-.” She yelps and frantically reaches for something to steady herself with, and her eyes widen in surprise when she finds her fingers clutching someone’s . 

“Keep your hands to yourself, birdie,” Jungkook say, swiftly turning on his heel and walking back over to where he has parked his car along the curb, “we’re in public.”

“I am going to ing murder you,” Hara shrieks, wriggling in his grip, but Jungkook doesn’t even budge.

He reaches the car and opens the door to the passenger side and drops her inside, slamming it shut after her, and before Hara’s got the time to properly sit up and make a run for it Jungkook enter the driver’s side and hits the child lock button. 

“Open the door,” Hara says, jaw clenched in anger as she tries searching for the door handle but there’s nothing there. “Open the damn d- where the is the handle?” 

“Put on your seatbelt,” Jungkook orders after doing so himself, revving the engine to urge Hara on, but the latter angrily crosses her arms over her chest and huffs.

“No.”

“Hara, put on your seatbelt.” 

Hara looks over at Jungkook. “Make me.” 

Jungkook doesn’t need to be told twice, and he instantly leans over, his face inches from Hara’s as he grabs her seatbelt and snaps it closed, his gaze lingering on her wide eyes just for a moment before he retreats, leaving the heady scent of his cologne in his wake. 

“ing prick,” Hara mutters under her breath, but Jungkook doesn’t pay her any attention and roars the car to life, instantly pulling onto the street and racing away. 

Hara doesn’t show it, but she’s tightly clutching her seatbelt and mentally praying to god that her psycho of a stepbrother doesn’t kill them on the way to college.

Jungkook is in his own world, turning corners and streets without adjusting his speed. 

Hara tries distracting herself with the houses and buildings they pass, but it’s difficult when everything is passing by in a blur, and she finally snaps and turns towards Jungkook with a glare on her face.

“Do you not have traffic laws here?” 

Jungkook even has the audacity to look away from the road and arch an eyebrow at her. “We do. Why?” 

“Are you even aware of how fast you’re driving?” Hara squeaks, tightly clutching the side of her seat in surprise when Jungkook turns a sharp swing. “Can you calm down? We’re gonna get in an accident if you continue like this.”

“No, we aren’t,” Jungkook calmly says, suddenly pulling the car to a halt, and Hara winces when the seatbelt digs into her ribs as it keeps her from lurching forward in her seat. 

“You sick son of a-”

“Hara? Hara, is that you?”

Hara startles and whips around in her seat to find a surprised Taehyung staring at her, his body halfway inside the car, and he’s suddenly pushed onto the leather seats when Hoseok impatiently enters after him. 

“It’s cold out there, move your bu- Hara?” Hoseok too stares at her in pleasant surprise and then giggles, sitting up straighter to clasp his seatbelt shut.

Hara had completely forgotten the part where Jungkook was supposed to pick the boys up on the way, but she can't help the immense relief she feels.

“Yeah, it’s me, in the flesh,” she jokes, feeling a little better now that she isn’t alone in the car with satan himself. “You never gave me a call, Tae?” 

Taehyung blinks in surprise at the nickname but instantly grins and shakes his head. 

“I was going to but I was helping my grandma out with her garden the whole day and I completely lost track of time!”

“That’s a good excuse, I’ll give you that,” Hara says, smiling a little, and then she snorts, “and cute, too, actually. It’s not common that many teens keep in touch with their grandparents. Kudos to you, Tae.” 

Taehyung smiles sheepishly and quickly pulls his phone out of his pocket, hitting a few buttons before Hara’s phone vibrates in her pocket. “There, now you got my number.”

“Thanks, Tae,” Hara grins, and Hoseok leans forward with his phone in hand, asking for him to also be included in the number exchanging but Jungkook suddenly hits the gas pedal and speeds away from the street, sending everyone jumping back in their seats. 

“We’re getting late.” 

“Quick question,” Hoseok pipes up after a few moments of silence, “why are you sitting in the passenger seat of Jungkook’s car?” 

Hara frowns but then realizes that these boys don’t know about her relationship with Jungkook, and she plasters on a small smile and looks over the headrest of her seat. 

“I accepted your advice and decided to enroll into the college here, Jungkook’s just a family friend who decided to help.” 

“A family friend?” Taehyung asks, frowning, “I’ve never heard about you, no offense though.”

“None taken.” Hara faces the road again and shrugs, fingers fiddling with the phone in her lap. “Our families recently got in touch again, that’s why. But he’s just a family friend, so I get it if he never mentioned me. I didn’t realize he existed until a couple of days ago.”

Jungkook takes a sharper turn than necessary, his knuckles white against the steering while, and Hara rolls her eyes but her annoyance is quickly replaced by genuine interest when Hoseok and Taehyung decide to tell her every detail about their college. 

They finally make it to campus and Hara all but scrambles out of the car when she realizes there is a button on the door instead of a handle. 

The sky is a light blue and the sun is shining, but the cold air prevents any of the heat from warming up the shivering students scattered across the huge campus, and Hara finds herself shuddering as she walks over to Taehyung and Hoseok.

Jungkook joins them but looks disinterested and completely unaffected by the cold. 

“So, where do you want to go first?” Taehyung asks, an excited look on his face.

“Maybe the library?” Hoseok suggests.

“No, wait, what about the swimming area?” Taehyung interjects, and Hoseok shakes his head.

“I think it’ll be better to start with the workout hall-”

“What about the food courts, I want a banana milk-”

“No, wait, the rooftop! She’ll love the roo-”

“How about you two attend your classes first?” Everyone turns around to face Jungkook who arches an eyebrow. “You don’t want to fail the exams next month, do you?” 

“One day won’t hurt,” Taehyung shrugs, and Hoseok nods in agreement, but Jungkook shakes his head. 

“Sorry, I promised your parents that I’d help keep you motivated this semester, I’m afraid you don’t have a choice.”

“Hey, I’m older than you,” Hoseok exclaims, pouting slightly, but Taehyung sighs in defeat and gently tugs on Hoseok’s coat.

“He’s got a point hyung, we made a deal to pass at least two exams this semester.”

Hara glares at Jungkook but she knows she can’t do anything now because they’ve got a real reason not to help her around. 

“I’m sorry, Hara, but my stupid friend has got a point,” Hoseok apologizes, still pouting, and Hara plasters on a smile and sighs. 

“No worries, I’ll do it myself.”

“What?” Taehyung looks scandalized and he quickly steps forward and shakes his head. “You will do no such thing, here, take Jungkook with you. He doesn’t have any classes today.”

Hara refrains from frowning, because she thought that the only reason Jungkook came with her in the first place was because he had classes to attend.

She looks over at him and takes in his bored expression. His eyes suddenly finds hers, and to anyone else he’d still look uninterested but Hara’s a little familiar with his expressions now and she notices the glint of cockiness in his eyes. 

“No thanks.” She looks away from him and smiles up at Taehyung. “Asking questions isn’t as hard as you’d imagine. I’ll see you guys later.” 

“Are you sure?” 

“Yeah. Bye, guys!” Hara turns away from them and walks in the direction of the entrance, and it’s then that she notices the amounts of looks she’s receiving from the student body. 

Curious frowns, annoyed glares and surprised looks are sent her way from every student lingering about, and she realizes it probably has something to do with her getting out of Jungkook’s maserati. 

She ignores the looks, rolling her eyes when a pair of girls glare at her as she passes them, and quickly enters the building. 

The heaters have all been , perks of being an expensive college, Hara guesses, and she sighs in relief and moves down the hallway, not really knowing where she’s going but hoping it leads somewhere far away from these snobs. 

She doesn’t make it far before she’s confronted by her first challenge of the day. 

“What the hell are you doing here?” Sunny steps in her way and stares at her as if she has grown a couple of heads and maybe a tail as well. There are two girls standing on each side of her, both equally disgusted. “I thought this building was for students only.”

“And I thought there was a no pets allowed sign out there somewhere,” Hara retorts, arching an eyebrow. “Either you completely missed it because of all those layers of mascara blocking your view, or you have yet to learn how to read.”

“Excuse me?” Sunny squeaks in indignation, and Hara flinches and presses a finger to her ear.

“Yeah, definitely not human,” she mutters, and Sunny looks seconds away from exploding, but before Hara has the opportunity to find out what’s on the inside of a demon, Sunny and her little girl gang look over Hara’s shoulder and instantly turn their snarls into wide grins, their artifically whitened teeth almost blinding Hara in the process.

“Jungkook oppa!” Sunny pushes Hara aside and her clones follow her over to none other than Jungkook. He stares at them with a bored look. “Can you believe they let her inside?”

“We should talk with the management about the security,” one of the other girls comments, batting her eyelashes at Jungkook, and Hara is genuinely surprised she’s capable of speaking for herself. 

“Actually," Sunny snaps with her nasal voice, "I’ll just call them myself.”

She opens her expensive looking handbag and is in the process of pulling out her phone when Jungkook places a hand over her wrist and stops her. 

“She’s a new student,” he says, and Sunny and her clones all sputter in surprise and shock. 

“You’re joking, right?” 

“How can she be a new student?”

“Does she even have the money to afford it?”

“I think we should complain, I’m sure the principle will understand.” 

The girls are all seething as they glare at her Hara, and she wonders why she’s still standing there, she can just leave these brainless snobs to talk amongst themselves. 

But Jungkook suddenly walks over to her, his expression the same usual stoic one except his eyes are searching, and his jaw clenches slightly when he sees the discomfort Hara is trying to mask behind an annoyed frown.

He then turns around and stands in front of her, like a shield, and Hara blinks in surprise when the girls all stop their nonsense at the sudden turn of events.  

“I would appreciate it if you guys refrain from calling the security.” Jungkook puts his hands in his pockets and straightens up, his posture intimidating even from the back where Hara’s staring up at him in disbelief. “She’s with me.”