day 10 - "historical au"

#EXOMonth Fest - part 1

jongin/minseok; jongin-centric
pg
sparta au + abo; in which jongin finds a runaway omega.

title: for the glory


Stalwart, unrelenting, and intrepid - this is how the Spartans are brought up as children.

Training for battle and discouraging weakness have always been a way of life.  Alphas are adept at leadership, fighting for the safety and progress of the community.  Betas are skilled in providing support; if the alphas are the head, the betas are the hands and feet of the whole state.  Omegas supply the backbone, keeping the peace and order;  they respected in the highest order for they also bring forth strong able Spartans.

There is a rite of passage one must take at the age of sixteen, when a child becomes a man or a woman.  Separated by gender and class, each are given different tasks to prove their training.  Alphas are led into the woods with nothing but the skin on one's back.  Strong alphas are sent into darkness and are to emerge victorious as warriors.

Every year at winter, the young alphas males make their way into the mountains with an adult guide.  Left at the mouth of a cave, they must survive the elements, terrain, and wild life for five days.  At the end, when they come forth victorious, there is a celebration and reward ceremony.

Jongin is amongst those going into the woods this year.  He has prepared for this all his young life.  He is ready and eager.  He bids goodbye to his omega mother with one last embrace and to his alpha father gives the firm grip of his hand, wrapping an arm around his father's shoulders.  There are twelve boys in Jongin's group this year.  They are of age, not yet men.  But they are keen to prove themselves and though the cold icy wind cuts through their skin, they grit their teeth and stand firm, baring their skin for the battle to come.

Once they are left, some boys group together choosing to forge an alliance for survival.  However, Jongin is one of the alphas who break off alone.  Silently, he stalks into the woods, heavy with snow.  His eyes quickly dart to and fro; he is searching for something as there is no time to waste.  He is hungry, he is cold, and to solve these problems, he needs a weapon.

The first prospect he comes across is a sharp branch, half frozen and splintered off from a large birch tree.  He's snapping off the smaller branches with his bare hands when he sees him from the corner of his eye - a white wolf.

The wolf's eyes are flashing yellow.  Like an old comrade, the wolf doesn't seem to fear Jongin.  The large creature considers Jongin, then tosses his head and snorts into the wind.  Jongin contemplates the wolf's coat with greedy eyes and a of his lips.  He is too cold to spend time on wonderment at the majestic beast and though he feels the proper respect, he knows he will lose to the frost if he does not get some warmth soon.

Jongin crouches, swaying lightly on the balls of his feet.  The snow crackles under his sandals.  He grips the stick in his right hand.  He's hunted game before - smaller creatures like rabbits and foxes, pheasants and quail.  He's never brought down large prey like this. 

He thinks it a pity, killing an animal for nothing but its fur.  But another freezing wind billows into the densely packed forest.  Jongin shivers uncontrollably, unable to stop for a few minutes.  When he is able to stop and regain his facilities, he also renews his determination.  He regrips the stick in his hand and lunges.

His makeshift spear however, never meets its target.  Before Jongin is even a meter closer to the beast, another body comes from out of the trees through the periphery and crashes into Jongin's body midair.  The smell more than the impact confuses Jongin, knocking him down on his back.  Disoriented, Jongin is unable to do anything but blink multiple times on the snow ridden floor of the forest.

The scent is like a crisp sunny day, something out of place in this desolate winter territory.  Jongin closes his eyes and inhales deeply.  Memories of freshly washed sheets and a warm comforting bed wash over him and he sighs happily.  What snaps him out of his reverie is the low growl that fills the air.

Jongin whips his body to standing.  Crouched low and both looking for his weapon and the location of the wolf, Jongin's eyes are frantic.  What comes into his line of sight however surprises him so much that he lets his body go slack for the second time.

A boy with pale white skin has his arms wrapped around the wolf in question.  Wrapped in a coat made of multiple rabbit furs, the shorter boy's eyes are wary and frightened.  The wolf whines shortly and nuzzles the boy, his cheek before sauntering back, deeper into the woods.

Jongin forgets about his weapon.  Without thinking, he releases the deep hold he has on his pheromones.  The musky alpha scent fills the small clearing and Jongin sees the pale boy grimace then stiffen in a defensive stance.

Taking a step closer, Jongin reaches out to the boy.

"Who are you?" Jongin asks aloud.

The cold wind stifles his voice, but the boy blinks.  Instead, the scent of sunshine and laundry gets stronger.  Jongin's eyelids slide shut as he inhales deeply.  Something unfurls in the pit of his stomach, warming him from within.  Quite suddenly, he feels the overwhelming urge to bury his nose in the crook of the boy's neck.  His teeth feel like they're tingling with desire.  Though the wolf has gone, Jongin once again hears a low growl fill the air.

When he opens his eyes, Jongin realizes that he's the one growling.  Something clicks inside of his head as Jongin sees the pale boy creeping closer to where Jongin stands.  Though drawing closer in distance, Jongin and the boy start to circle each other.

"Who are you?" Jongin repeats.

But inside his head, he already knows the answer.

Omega.

His omega.