day 1 - "fake dating"

#EXOMonth Fest - part 1

sehun/xiumin
pg
alpha x alpha au

title: young and rich


 

Sehun furrows his brows, running a hand through his hair and belatedly realizing he's used gel today.  The frown gets deeper and he sneaks a look at the shorter man walking next to him.  Everyone says the outfit looks good on Sehun, that he's like a male model on the runway with his Prada long coat and turtleneck sweater.  However, the older man alongside him looks stunning in his patterned Gucci couture suit, a goldenrod handkerchief in his pocket.  The line between Sehun's eyebrows gets even deeper when he realizes that the person gifting Minseok with Gucci is probably him.

They're late for the meeting with their parents and it's not a secret that the chairmen of the KimOh Group are difficult men to corral into one room.  The occasion isn't a formal one, but both pairs of parents are attending this dinner meeting today.  Normally, Sehun would be giddy, barely able to contain his pheromones, to be having such a gathering between the two close families - just like old times.  However, the occasion isn't a happy one for Sehun because of one little fact - the fact that everything is based on lies.

The only reason why Sehun's in on this scheme with Minseok is because their parents are so godamn insistent on the company staying within the family.  This is why Minseok is standing in this hotel lobby, waiting for the elevator to the Sky Top restaurant, with Sehun.  This is the only reason why Minseok is giving him the time of day instead of spending it with his secret lover.  The thought makes Sehun's stomach churn with acid and a grimace forms on his face. 

Minseok looks up in disapproval, clicking his tongue.

"At least try to look like you like me" Minseok deadpans.  "For someone who was a child actor, you're not very good at this."

Sehun bristles.  He would like nothing more than to bark back for Minseok throwing his embarrassing childhood CF days in his face.  He wants to hiss that this is more for Minseok's sake than Sehun's because Sehun's not the one who has an illicit lover on the side.  But the elevator door opens and Sehun has to bite his tongue as the attendant bows at them.  

As the elevator doors slide shut, the attendant, obviously a beta, flinches while Minseok tosses yet another glare in Sehun's direction.  Sehun just snorts defiantly, unable to articulate his frustration into words.  He is upset, Sehun reasons; he has every right to release pheromones in this situation.  Besides, there are no omegas in this space - just two alphas and one unrelated beta caught in the crossfire.

 

When the elevator reaches the restaurant floor, the attendent sighs audibly with relief.  Minseok tosses an apologetic look towards the man, slipping him a crisp 50,000 won bill masked with a handshake.  But Sehun turns up his nose, choosing to walk into the establishment first, leaving the other man behind.  When Sehun walks in, a hush falls over the whole place and the guests as well as the waiters and staff all turn to Sehun's direction.  It isn't every day that people are able to see Oh Sehun and Kim Minseok, two of the most famous and wealthy alphas in Seoul.

Before Minseok catches up with Sehun - before Minseok can nag about being rude and disrespectful to others - Sehun greets his parents and Minseok's parents in succession. 

Sehun's mother is a tall woman, sleek and elegant in her glittery white day suit.  It's obvious that Sehun has inherited his mother's thinnish lips.  She purses them, puckering before hugging Sehun lightly and giving him air kisses.  She bends down, doing the same to Minseok when he arrives five steps after Sehun.  Sehun ignores the look Minseok is giving him and steps forward to shake hands with his father, then Minseok's father, a stocky and musclar man who has the same sharp nose as Minseok does.  Finally, Sehun saves the best for last.  Bending down to give Minseok's mother an extra squeeze, he whispers in her ear, "I missed you, Mom".

After the exchange of hand shakes and hugs, they all sit down at the table with Minseok's mother remarking how handsome Sehun is.  Sehun preens, smiling with his eyes and sitting up straight so everyone can have a better look.  Minseok's mother, a small woman whose eyes looks amazingly similar to Minseok's, giggles and lightly elbows Sehun's mother in jest.  Sehun's mother sighs, rolling her eyes in a mocking way but a smile plays on her lips.  Unlike Minseok's cut and dried personality, Minseok's mother is more effervescent and most importantly, dotes on Sehun like he's still the five year old boy he was when he'd first met the Kim family.

"So, I hear you're doing very good work on the Marketing team, Sehun" comments Minseok's father in a mid toned husky voice, adjusting his silver tie pin in preparation to eat.  He grins at Sehun's father who shrugs before smiling benevolently.  "Very good work, I hear."

"What about our Minseok-ee" Sehun's father remarks, tossing his light gray linen suit jacket over the back of his chair.  "I hear he's got everyone on their toes around the Planning team.  So meticulous and precise our Minseok-ee is."

Minseok blushes visibly while Sehun hides a scowl behind his cup of tea.  Sehun's father had always treated Minseok more like a son than he had to Sehun.  Minseok, always weak to the elders, soaks it up every time.  

"Yes, yes, yes" Sehun's mother says hastily, careful to undo her gold threaded scarf from her neck.  "We all know our sons are both very adept and competent.  Can we order now, please?  I have an engagement after this."

Minseok's father laughs heartily while Sehun's father frowns lightly at her impatience.

"But we just sat down, honey.  Let us admire our children a bit more!" he protests.

"Oh my!" Minseok's mother fusses.  "Then we should hurry things.  I forgot everyone here is busy busy busy.  Well, everyone except for me."

Minseok's mother giggles behind her hand.  It's such a cute gesture that Sehun can't help but smile again in her direction.

"My mother isn't doing any important work, Mrs. Kim" Sehun assures her.  "Not like your charity work.  How's that coming along by the way?"

Sehun's mother rolls her eyes ever so slightly and turns to Minseok to complain about how uncaring her son is.  Minseok's smile is lopsided, but he soothes her by murmuring how Sehun just shows his love in a different way.  Sehun bends his head down as he listens to Minseok's mother explain about how there's a gala coming up as a fundraiser for the orphanage down in Daesun.

"So you'll need us to show our faces" Sehun concludes.  "We must attend, right?"

Minseok's mother looks surprised and hesitates.  "Well, I won't say no if you two love birds offer to come to the event, but I know you two are busy-"

"We'll attend" Sehun says quickly, only briefly glancing over to where Minseok is still talking to Sehun's own mother in low tones.  "There'll be more publicity if the two betrothed alpha heirs to KimOh Corp. attend, right?  And publicity means more attendees.  And more attendees mean more funds for the kids!"

Minseok's mother pauses, staring intently into Sehun's eyes.  Sehun shifts a little uncomfortably in his seat.  For all of Minseok's mother's forgiving tendencies, sometimes, she looked like she could read Sehun's soul like a book.  But soon the scrutiny ends and Minseok's mother smiles, radiant as a sunflower.

"Of course darling.  It's for the kids after all."

This is what Sehun repeats to Minseok later, after the family meal.  They're in Minseok's car and Minseok's driving them back to the apartment they share in Cheongnamdong.  There's a puzzled frown on Minseok's face at the sudden schedule Sehun has signed them up for, but Sehun maintains a hauty expression.

"I told Jongin that I'd meet him that night.  We haven't seen each other in-"

"Are you saying" Sehun responds icily.  "That Jongin is more important than your mother?"

Minseok's frown deepens.  "No, that's not what I'm-"

"Are you saying" Sehun interrupts.  "That you don't have time to spare for the poor orphans living in Daesun?"

"No, I-"

"So then, are you saying" Sehun turns to Minseok, "that the poor orphaned children who need our help are less important than Kim Jongin, a man who's financially comfortable enough to have a studio in Hannamdong?"

Minseok sighs.  They drive in silence for a few minutes before Minseok says, "It's still a promise."

Sehun snorts, feeling mean and spiteful.  "Still selfish" he mutters under his breath.

At the red light, Minseok brakes a little rougher than usual, sharply swinging his head toward Sehun to give him a look of warning.  "Watch what you say, Oh Sehun" Minseok bristles.

Sehun turns his face to the window, away from Minseok.  "Whatever."

He balls his fists in anger.  It is always Kim Jongin this or Kim Jongin that.  Sehun can't help but think that the only reason why he's here with Minseok now is because of his alpha status, because he's the son of the co-chairman.  Minseok didn't love Sehun; he only needed him in name.  This was only pretend so that Minseok wouldn't get caught with Jongin, the beta ballerino.  Vaguely, Sehun wonders if Minseok's parents would have allowed Minseok to be with Jongin if Jongin had been an alpha as well.

"Or maybe...an omega?" Sehun mutters to himself.

"What are you saying?  Are you lusting after some omega?" Minseok asks in a lighter tone than before, tapping his shoulder.  "Get out.  We're here."

Sehun knows that this is Minseok's way of apologizing and saying that he doesn't want to fight.  He listens to the familiar sound of the tires squealing on the garage floor as Minseok pulls into park, wondering if he should give in.  Sehun opens the door and gets out before he decides, pausing when Minseok doesn't get out right away.  When Minseok emerges, Sehun sees a familiar looking coat in Minseok's arm.

"Don't forget your coat" Minseok comments, tossing it to him as they walk to the door leading into their home.  "And, Sehun-ah" Minseok sighs.  "I know we're fake dating or whatever, but try not to get anyone pregnant yet, huh?"  Minseok waggles a brow saucily.  "We're still technically supposed to be engaged, remember?"

Sehun flushes, ears turning red as he grits his teeth.  'You've got it all wrong' he thinks.

For all the praise Minseok's received for being an intellectual and for all the compliments Minseok gets on the daily for being insightful, Minseok can be really stupid at times like this.  Because there's something Minseok doesn't know and something Sehun vows never to tell Minseok while they are pretending to date like this.

"I'm beat" Minseok groans, hanging his coat up in the hallway closet.  "I'm going to wash up and then go to sleep okay?  Sehun-ah, you should do the same."

Before Sehun can answer properly, Minseok's already jogging upstairs to his own room.  Sehun's eyes linger on Minseok's retreating figure, pausing where his pants are taut on his .  Sehun his lower lip unconsciously. 

'You're just eager to call your secret boyfriend' Sehun thinks accusingly. 

When Minseok's out of view, Sehun sighs, slumping into the soft, microfabric couch in the living room.

"Good night!" Minseok's voice calls out from upstairs.  "Don't stay up too late!"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah" Sehun grumbles.  He's sick and tired of Minseok still treating him like a baby.

"Meet you in our dreams!" Minseok calls out laughingly.  It's a saying they've told each other since they were children.  It's been a while since Sehun's heard it and Sehun flushes an even deeper red at the multitide of emotions the phrase brings forth.

"Yeah" Sehun sighs, closing his eyes wearily and throwing his head back on the sofa.  "See ya."