You & I

No Matter What

Description: Life could be hard sometimes, but having someone who loves you makes it all a little easier.

 

A/N: This is a small piece I did really quickly because I didn’t want to miss my friend’s birthday. Anyway, thank you for the prompt and happy birthday again toyota_hiichan! 


 

“You didn’t get the call.” Chaewon said in a quiet voice, sitting down beside the girl who watched the empty dance studio with equally lifeless eyes – Minjoo wasn’t like this usually, but she had a good reason to put her cheerful person aside for now. That’s why she didn’t wait for a reply to hug the younger woman by the shoulders, bringing her to a gentle embrace that hopefully would help to comfort her, even if just a little.

Minjoo didn’t give the brunette a verbal reply, a long, tired sigh leaving her lips as she rested herself against Chaewon’s body. Her head found the perfect resting spot in Chae’s shoulder, making her close her eyes and take a deep breath – her nose picked the smell of cheap fried chicken first, the usual mint scent masked by it. Not the most pleasant smell, but she didn’t even try to move away, after all she probably smelt much worse at the moment – sweat and tears in the literal sense, the whole room smelt like it.

Enlacing her waist, she snuggled up to the girl, being welcomed by a tight embrace. The skin of the older Kim’s neck was slightly cold against Minjoo’s hot cheek, the beats of her heart loud enough for the girl to hear it beating in a much faster pace than her calm breaths – Chaewon wasn’t doing anything really, still, her presence was enough to push aside the dark thoughts on Minjoo’s mind for a while.

It was just another day, another rejection, another piece of her fragile confidence broken – and mend by Chaewon’s gentle hands that caressed her back and hair now, her silent actions that slowly involved Min in the warmth and protection of her love.

“Do you think I will ever get a call?” The question was asked minutes later, her voice low, muffled and hesitant – she knew, of course she knew, Chaewon couldn’t predict the future and her answer shouldn’t matter. But it was Chaewon, and she always mattered to her.

“I know you will.” It was an overly optimistic reply, something so atypical for the brunette, but her tone was so sincere, full of a confidence that came from years of watching Minjoo give her best training to reach her dream. Chaewon would rather to rely on more ‘realistic’ plans, using all her time studying for a public service exam, leaving her hopes of becoming an idol to focus on something else. For her, that dream was only it, a dream. But for Minjoo, it was the one thing she wanted the most and nothing could replace it – and maybe, for Chaewon, seeing the other girl achieving it, was as meaningful as reaching her own goals. “Someday you will get so many calls, that you might even forget about me for a while. But that’s okay, as long as you remember to thank me after you get your first win.”

There was a hint of mischief in her words, just the right amount of teasing to make Minjoo’s serious expression turn into a small smile, the tension leaving her face. Chaewon’s words had a huge effect over her – she was her biggest supporter, the only one to stay after even her parents would tell her to give up on silly dreams and try something else; they were probably right, still, she didn’t want to give up and Chae’s support was enough to keep her going.

Nodding slowly, Minjoo let her gaze travel from Chaewon to the mirrors located in the other side of the room – huge, intimidating, reflecting their small frames pressed together like puppies waiting for their mom to come back. This studio that used to be the place that brought her so much joy, had slowly become a prison, as if all her frustration was impregnated on the linoleum floor. She wondered if it would ever go back to what it used to be, or if she would end up leaving that place with the bitter taste of failure in .

Shaking her head, she tried to focus on the girl beside her, the one source of light in that dark night. She didn’t have to force a smile when her eyes met the bright chestnut ones that belonged to her favorite person – they were serious, but carrying; patient. “I don’t think I can ever forget about you, but you should stick around just in case.”

“Just in case, huh?” With a chuckle, Chaewon gave her a kiss on the cheek and patted her back lightly – she could see right past Minjoo’s tentative of humor, she could still see how hurt and tired the girl was. It would take her some time, but she would be alright, and Chaewon would make sure of it. “Did you eat?”

Minjoo shook her head again, this time with an apologetic smile that wasn’t necessary. She spent the whole evening practicing, trying to dance away all the negative feelings, but only managing to get drenched in sweater and her own frustrations.

“Very unexpected.” Rolling her eyes, the older girl reached for the paper bag she had brought with her, taking out two medium-sized containers with the logo of the restaurant she worked at. “Go ahead and eat up, I already had some before coming here. And don’t tell me you don’t want to, I actually paid for those, so you better not waste it.”

No matter how stubborn Minjoo could be, she couldn’t deny the offer – her stomach was being quite loud about its needs in the moment and after so many hours of practicing, her body demanded some payment for all the work. “Thank you. I will pay you back next time!”

No, she wouldn’t. They both knew it. She was barely making enough money to feed herself with the small paycheck from her part-time job. They both also knew Chaewon wouldn’t mind her words, bringing more food next time just like she always did.

“Shut up and eat before I change my mind.” Chaewon didn’t need to repeat herself, Minjoo attacking the food right away. Hiding a smile, the older girl averted her gaze from the woman to windows where the yellowish lights of the city illuminated the room.

Their house was a couple of blocks away from the college campus, a small, cramped apartment with a single room they shared for over a year now. It was full of her studying books and notes – notes she barely had time to read, getting lost under many more she would stack up later as she continued studying. It was funny how she could be so sure about Minjoo’s future success, yet she couldn’t imagine her own. She wondered what would happen if Minjoo was ever accepted in a good agency and had to move out, she wondered if she was ready to say her goodbyes as their lives took drastically different paths…She would have to be.

But for now, she would enjoy their time together – in cramped apartments, empty dance studios and wherever a couple of broken students could afford to go –, because no matter how difficult life was, when they were together it became a littler easier.

“You know, today this old lady came in and started asking about the whole menu and it took her a whole hour to decide she didn’t like spicy chicken…” Company, food and small talk, the best she could offer Min now. Chaewon also felt tired and had her own problems, but she was willing to put them aside, concentrating in putting a smile on Minjoo’s face and allow her to forget about her problems.

Like always, Minjoo would listen to her attentively, reacting to everything while chewing on her food, her mind slowly getting filled by Chaewon’s words, leaving no space for the previous thoughts and allowing a small smile to appear on her face.

As soon as she was done eating, they gathered her things and made sure the room was tidy and nice, before leaving.

It was getting late, but their place was close enough to walk there and they couldn’t afford spending money unnecessarily with a cab. Therefore, Minjoo just clung to Chaewon’s arm, keeping her closer as they made their way home. If it was any other day, the older woman would probably for being a scaredy-cat, but not today, instead she held Minjoo’s hand and stuffed it on her jacket’s pocket.

“Thank you.” Min said as she matched her steps to the girlfriend’s, earning an eyebrow raise in return. “You know for what.”

Chaewon always knew it, just like she knew Minjoo like the back of her hand.

“Yeah, next time bring your gloves.” Shrugging her shoulders, Chae dismissed her words easily. They were past that stage, past the time where it didn’t feel natural to simply be there for the other when she needed. There was no place for ‘thank you’ when Min’s happiness was also part of hers, caring for her and protecting her was part of Chaewon’s nature now – it would always be.

The slightly taller woman just smiled at her girlfriend, squeezing her hand softly. Chaewon wasn’t good with words, but her actions speak much louder than any romantic line could ever.

She waited patiently until they reached the tiny apartment to hug the older woman tightly. Now that they were far from the studio, far from her failures, and inside the safety of their own little world, she could feel the burden over shoulders lighter. Tomorrow would be another long, exhausting day, but for now she was home and being there with Chae really made that place feel like it.

Chae’s lips curved into a soft smile, as she allowed herself to sink into Minjoo’s warmth as well, her arms bringing her even closer. It was a long, bad day for both of them, but this was a good way to finish it. “Are you planning to sleep on my shoulder again, Minguri?”

“Hm, it sounds like a good idea.” The reply came as Minjoo lifted her head just enough to peck Chaewon’s lips lightly, before going back to her favorite spot. Her voice was sweet and although the hint of tiredness was still there, Chae could tell she was feeling better now – it made her feel better as well.

Hugging Minjoo better, she slowly moved them towards the bedroom, dragging their feet through the carpet until they finally reached the bed and Min moved to lay down making  Chaewon do the same – they still needed to change clothes and get ready to sleep, however, the two of them were too tired to worry about such details now.

“So, are you okay now?” Chaewon asked as she cuddled the younger girl, kissing her cheeks once more.

Min didn’t open her eyes to answer, her lips finding Chaewon’s jaw to leave a gentle kiss on it before replying: “As long as you’re here, I will be.”

 

 


 

A/N: Yeah, this was incredibly short, sorry about that. Anywya, I hope you enjoy it and I'm sorry about all the mistakes.

Remember to check toyota-chan fic's here, she is the greatest 2kim fluffy writer! Happy bday again, toyota-chan! See you all next time!