Love High

No Matter What

 

Description: Being all sweet in public should be embarrassing, but Chaewon didn’t mind it if it meant making her girlfriend smile.

 

A/N: This story is part of the “Closer To You“ universe, but you don’t have to read that story to enjoy this one because this is just fluff really.


 

There are two things everyone knows about Minjoo and Chaewon: the first one is clumsy and the latter is a tsundere – well, at least that’s what people say at first, and they are mainly correct.

Mainly.

While Minjoo was, indeed, pretty clumsy, Chaewon wasn’t that much of a tsundere after you have known her for a while. Her close friends knew it all too well, however, for someone who had only seen her sharp features from afar, what was happening right now may be a little shocking.

No, scratch that. It would be a little shocking even for her friends – and Yujin and Yena would probably laugh a little too much about it, but luckily for the cheetah-like girl, none of them was around now.

What was happening? nothing less than a sweet and pretty normal scene for a young couple like the Kim duo. Slightly embarrassing and attracting some puzzled looks from the passerby, but sweet regardless.

“Is it good enough?” Chaewon asked, her tongue touching the corner of her lips as she stared intently at her newly finished art – well, calling it art maybe be a stretch, but it was the best she could do with a pink pen and her mint-green marker.

Minjoo nodded with a smile as bright as Chaewon’s mint colored marker, leaning in to try and have a better look at the artwork her girlfriend did with so much effort – and very little talent – on the cast covering her foot. There was a pink heart, slightly bigger in one of the sides, with a green arrow going through it and in the empty space inside their initials could be seen in Chae’s usual handwrite. There were also a few other smaller hearts in different shades of green and pink, a couple of stars and a little round figure that Minjoo supposes should represent her penguin friend back at the aquarium, MinMin. “It looks great, Chae! Thank you!” It didn’t look that great, but Minjoo was the type to appreciate effort over anything else – and Chae was also willing to put up an effort for her, even in things she clearly had no talent for. “Can you make another one? I promise, it’s the last one!” The request came with a small pout and a soft touch on Chaewon’s hand, the bright chocolate eyes pleading.

The older girl could only sigh in reply. Of course, she would do it, saying no to Kim Minjoo was never something she was good at – and now it was ever harder.

“What do you want this time?” The older Kim said, her eyes going from her cute girlfriend to the white cast covering her left ankle. Minjoo had hurt herself when they were playing capture the flag the other day – a little childish for high schoolers, but it was really hard to deny Yujin’s requests. Luckily, it wasn’t anything serious, but it meant Minjoo wouldn’t be able to participate in PE class or after-school athletic activities for a while. So, when she had the chance, Chaewon liked to keep her company. “My marker is dead and I think this is pink enough, so I will have to use a normal pen.” Actually, Chaewon wasn’t supposed to be using her free time after classes to entertain the younger girl while they waited for their friends to finish their club meetings and give Minjoo a ride home. As a senior and part of the school council, she should be tending to other matters how she usually did. But when it comes to Minjoo, Chae’s priorities were clear.

“Hm, wait a minute.” Minjoo reached for her backpack she casually left aside, the teacher said she could do some studying while watching the others exercise earlier – and she had tried to, with little success, but her class was long over. She wasn’t planning on doing anything under the pleasant evening sunlight other than making her cast a little prettier and watching Chaewon’s concentrated expression as she worked hard on drawing. It was simple and a little silly, but like with all things she did with Chaewon, she loved it.

It was their last year together – at least in high school, since Chae would be graduating in a couple of months. Therefore, she wanted to enjoy these little moments they had, especially when her girlfriend left aside her serious student council treasurer’s façade and showed the more relaxed, doting side she would only reveal when they were alone.

Getting a black pen from her bag, she handed it to Chaewon with a smile. “A cheetah, please? A cub.” She looked at the slightly older girl with expectation, watching as Chae’s expression went from confused to surprised as she heard her request – and the reason behind it. Chaewon’s resemblance to a baby cheetah was no secret, and more than once Minjoo would find herself marveling at her girlfriend’s serious expression that was so intimidating to others, but incredibly cute to her as it emphasized the resemblance with the big feline. “Please, Chae?”

Making a face, the senior accepted the pen. She could barely draw a decent heart, the more an animal – especially one that was supposed to somewhat symbolize herself. She could almost hear their friends’ laughter at the sight. She was used to the group teasing them about being diabetically sweet and all that, adding yet another thing for their list of things to make fun of the couple didn’t seem like a good idea. Not even mentioning everyone who would see it – the people who already had thrown them a few curious looks, finding the oddly relaxed posture of the older Kim rather intriguing.

But then again, Chaewon always had her priorities very clear when it comes to Minjoo – it was simply and purely to keep her girl happy, anything else didn’t really matter. “Okay, I might as well add a little frog, in your homage.” She agreed with a hint of teasing in her voice, fixing Minjoo’s leg on her lap to search for an empty spot on the cast and start sketching at the best of her abilities. As expected, Minjoo protested her choice of an animal – apparently Minjoo liked foxes better than frogs when it comes to which one she looks alike, and of course, everyone else collectively agreed on her looking like the frog as it always got a way funnier reaction. Chaewon wouldn’t say it aloud, but for her, the younger Kim was a little bit like both animals, depending on her expression.

Chae, come on! You already draw MinMin!” The younger brunette protested, a hand coming to poke Chaewon’s face.

“MinMin doesn’t look like you, it just loves to follow you when you visit the aquarium.” The older girl didn’t even bother looking at her, a sly smile on her face as she started drawing. “I have to represent you properly.”

Making a face, Minjoo tried another approach. Instead of poking Chae’s fluff cheek, she caressed her hair that was tied in a loose ponytail and reached the neck, knowing it was one of Chaewon’s weak spots. “Can’t it be a fox?”

“Hm,” Chae breathed in, enjoying Minjoo’s gentle touch and almost getting distracted from her very important task of finishing the tail of the cheetah cub and moving to start the frog she had promised. “No. But I will make it a cute frog!” Glancing at the girl, she winked at her before getting back to her work.

If it was anyone else, she might have ended up with a head smack, but Min was just too good natured to properly take revenge and all she did was stop the caress on Chaewon’s neck and pouted. Chae only chuckled softly as her girlfriend sulked, knowing well it wouldn’t last.

Chae liked seeing Minjoo’s puffed cheeks and her lips forming a cute pout once in a while, they had a comfortable dynamic within their relationship, the banter and bickering was part of it. Chaewon, of course, knew the limits well and she always made sure to kiss away Minjoo’s pout until it was replaced by a smile – today she was hoping to bring this smile with her clumsy drawing though.

“Done.” She said more to herself than to the girl, straightening her back to get a better look at the little doodle, smiling to herself at the result – it wasn’t amazing, after all she never claimed to be a good artist, but it was better than the her other artworks and hopefully cute enough to make Minjoo happy; in case it wasn’t, Chaewon could always use her corrective pen and pretend it never existed. “Min, take a look.” Calling the girl who was still sulking and pretending to not be interested in Chaewon’s self-proclaimed masterpiece, it took her a gentle pull on Minjoo’s hand to get her attention. “Babe, I think I deserve some trust for ditching student council work for you.”

Chaewon’s words got to Minjoo and the brunette finally looked back at her, brown orbs going from Chae’s chestnut gaze to the cast as she inspected it for a new mark – it wasn’t hard to notice, right below the heart with their names now there was a small drawing of two animals, a cheetah sitting back on her paws and a smiley frog resting comfortably on its head. Chae wasn’t skilled enough to give it much detail, but the cheetah had calm eyes and a small smile that ended with a soft curve – Chaewon’s trademark crooked smile –, while the frog had big eyes with little hearts as pupils and a small crown on top of its head.

Minjoo couldn’t help but giggle at the sight. It wasn’t really pretty, but it would be a lie to say she didn’t find it cute. Her heart grew a little fonder as she noticed how the two animals were surrounded by the little hearts and stars, just like the two of them were in the nights they spent together stargazing. “You really made me a frog.” It wasn’t really a complaint, there was a smile on her face – very similar to the one her frog version showed in the drawing –, her left hand reaching to touch the drawing with light fingers, while her right one squeezed Chaewon’s.

“A princess frog, a very important difference.” Chaewon corrected, squeezing her hand back and pulling her closer so she could hug Minjoo by the shoulders. “You know, just like some people only see cheetahs as intimidating, some people just don’t know how to appreciate frogs. I personally think they can be really cute.” She placed a kiss on Minjoo’s cheek, her lips lingering a little longer than necessary on the spot. “Even cuter once they receive a kiss and turn into a beautiful princess.”

Having to bite back a smile, Minjoo rolled her eyes at Chaewon’s words. “I miss the time when you were cute and shy.” Clicking her tongue, she shook her head slightly. No, she didn’t really miss the shy Chaewon from before they were a couple, although she was indeed very cute back then. This bold, sweet and a little cheesy Chaewon was a pretty great girlfriend. “Was all that frog thing just to get some kisses?”

Her only reply was Chaewon’s spontaneous and surprised chuckle. “I’m afraid I’m not that smart with pick-up lines just yet.” Shaking her head to emphasize her words, she once more stole a kiss on Min’s cheek. “Although I would always come to save you from any curse, especially ones involving kisses.” Chae joked, pulling back slightly so she could face Minjoo properly. “You know I just wanted to keep you company, right?”

You’re Yena’s sister, I think it may run in the blood.” Minjoo joked back, her smile growing as Chae kissed her cheeks. Truth be told, she wouldn’t mind some silly pick-up lines to steal some of her kisses, if they came from her beloved girlfriend. Cupping Chaewon’s small face in between her hands she nodded, of course she knew Chaewon was there for her like she always was when Minjoo needed. Chae may be joking about fantastical curses, but Min knew her words carried some truth to them. People show love in many ways, some through things, others through words and people like Chaewon showed through their actions, small yet meaningful ones. Like staying after class to doodle on her girlfriend’s cast and make her laugh instead of having to endure an hour alone because she couldn’t move around properly. “I do. I would be bored to death without you.” With a small giggle, she used her hands to bring Chaewon’s face closer. “Thank you for staying with me and for the drawings. I will show them off well!” Pecking her lips before Chae could protest, she gave her a grin. “And for that you deserve some kisses…Would be more if you didn’t call me a frog though!”

“I am sorry, but I think you meant a royal frog?” It was Chaewon’s turn to hold in a laugh, the corners of her eyes crinkling as she hugged Minjoo better – with some extra care to make sure she wouldn’t accidentally hit her cast by mistake –, pulling her in for another kiss before Minjoo could change her mind. Chaewon kissed her lips softly, before covering her face with quick pecks and finally kissing her on the lips again for one too many times. The kisses were, as expected from two laughing fools, short and a light, permeated with soft chuckles and silly smiles, but nice and warm. Minjoo hugged her by the neck, feeling her heart as light as ever.

“I swear, we have so many couples in our friends group, but you two are by far the most disgusting one!” It was Yuri’s greeting, ten minutes later, when Chaewon and Minjoo were still too engrossed with each other to notice her arrival accompanied by Nako and Hitomi. Yuri was a little grumpier ever since Yena went to college and she became the official third-wheeler for the others.

Nako only laughed at her remark, enjoying the surprised face of the Kim couple as they realized they were no longer alone and the school bleachers were no place for making out. Hitomi, however, gave them a confused look before pointing to Minjoo’s leg – the one still on Chaewon’s lap, exposing all the embarrassing drawings on the cast. “Did you let some little kids draw on it? Good thing you won’t use it for a long time.”

“Ei, my drawings are not that bad!” Of course, it was Chaewon defending her work, and of course, it only served to make her the target of teasing this time.

“Not so bad?” Yuri returned, a bluffed look on her face. “I thought someone had vandalized her cast as a revenge!”

Minjoo only laughed at her girlfriend being teased by the others, clinging to Chaewon’s arm. “I think they are pretty cute.” Were her supportive words, as she kissed Chae’s cheek with a proud smile.

 Nako, who was keeping quiet until now, smirked at the scene in front of her, shaking her head. “I guess love really makes you blind.”

Yes, Chaewon’s drawing were that bad. But it was okay, Minjoo still loved it – and her girlfriend – wholehearted.

 

 



 

A/N: Hello there, just something I did when I was bored. My friends, aka the Slytherin line, said it was okay, but in case it was not…I guess I have nice friends XD

Thanks for reading, see you soon with TYE’s update.

P.S.: Prompt from the prompt generator!