Pros and Cons

No Matter What

Description: Managing a confessions account, Minjoo was used to ignore the ones directed to her, at least until she received one she could accept.


A/N: Underline for messages, bold for spoken dialogue.


 

 

Minjoo’s dark eyes wide slightly at the sight of the new message they had received.

She was used to getting all kind of confessions – after all she helped Sakura to run an account to allow people to send anonymous, or not so much, confessions to students at their school. It was mostly for fun, just helping people letting their crushes know someone was interested, or for friends to send playful messages to each other – she was the one to make sure it was all light hearted and that no inappropriate text would be published by mistake.

Their account had got quite popular in just a couple of months and sometimes it was a bit annoying having to read through so many messages – she was especially displeased about the ones involving herself. No one was supposed to know who runs the account, therefore she had to read confessions about herself and although it was cute sometimes, she always had to decline it politely – using her own twitter account and pretending she was seeing the confession only after it was posted.

Today was supposed to be one of these days.

Exams week was approaching and it was already stealing her precious sleeping hours and time with her friends, her phone forgotten under a pile of papers to go through. Now that she had finally taken a short break and was scrolling through her phone, not really planning on paying much attention to the confessions account notifications, her eyes couldn’t help but catch the mention of her name in one of the confessions from two days ago.

Curiosity took over her, prompting her to open the message to check its full content.

 

“I don’t know how to do this properly

Can I just write anything?

Oh yeah you aren’t here right now...

Okay here it goes

To Kim Minjoo from class 1-A,

I know you for a while and I think I liked you right away, but I like you better now that I know there’s so much more to you than your looks (you’re a beautiful, I can’t say I didn’t notice it because it would be a lie), you’re always gentle and warm and makes everyone around you feel special and welcomed. You’re the sweetest person I know and the most patient too, thank you for always playing along with our jokes and not getting easily discouraged. You always work hard for everything and I know you’re busy with exams now, but I also know you will do well because you’re trying your best. I’m not expecting anything, I’ll be happy if this made you smile and took your mind off the semester’s stress for a bit, even if it was only because I’m so bad with words.”

 

By the end of the message there was indeed a smile on Minjoo’s face and she wasn’t sure why – she had received longer and more romantic confessions before, some even attempted at cheesy poetry about her beauty, other compared her to celebrities…Maybe that was exactly why she liked this one, it was simple and seemed sincere, the fact that it didn’t just focused on her looks helped too.

She still had a smile on her face when someone sat in front of her at her study table. Lifting her gaze, her smile grew bigger as she identified a familiar and dear face. Her friend and tutor was always a pleasant company, her presence being one of the only things that could save Minjoo from the eternal boredom of her studies.

“Hey! I thought you’d be busy today.” She greeted, watching the girl starting to lay down her books at the table.

“I was, but I finished earlier.” Chaewon explained, opening her laptop and giving Minjoo a small smile. “Would you rather explore the wonders of calculus by yourself?”

The taller girl shook her head with a soft chuckle – good thing they were at the far back of the library or else they wouldn’t be able to talk so freely. “I’ve had enough with exploring. Mind showing me a shortcut, professor Kim?”

“I’ll see what I can do for you.” Chae smirked at her, before reaching out to get her notebook. Chaewon was one year ahead and she would often help her with tips and small lessons here and there, and albeit the older Kim was one of the official tutors for underclassmen, these meetings often felt more like friendly hangouts than anything else. Still, thanks to Chaewon’s tips she had managed to survive the last exam season and hopefully it would happen again. “Let me see what you’ve been doing so far.”

As the girl went through her notes, Minjoo used this time to check the confession message again. She was still curious about it, making hard to ignore it even if she was supposed to focus on her tutoring session in the moment.

Biting down on her bottom lip, she ignored the number one rule for their account – messages should always be anonymous unless requested otherwise – and asked:

“how would you like to sign it?”

The sound of a phone with a notification buzzing against the wooden table could be heard, taking Minjoo’s attention off the message to her tutor. Chaewon was holding her own phone, a small frown on her face as she typed.

A second later and another message popped up on Minjoo’s phone.

“Keeping it anonymous is fine I guess?”

It was Minjoo’s turn to frown, both because she was disappointed for not getting a name and also because of how odd the timing for this reply was.

“are you sure?

she may want to know who you are”

She tried again, Sakura shouldn’t know about it or else she would get a good scold – or worse, have the girl looking for the anonymous admirer herself. Minjoo promised herself that it would be the last time she did something like this, she knew she would most likely regret it if the admirer turned out to be one of her annoying classmates that wouldn’t get a clue no matter how hard she tried to shrug them off.

Another buzz…No, two, all coming from Chae’s cellphone.

Her frown increased as she noticed Chaewon checking her messages, she looked…embarrassed? She was angling her body in a weird way, her phone partially covered by the table, like she was hiding it? From her?

Chaewon was the type to turn off her phone and ignore it for the rest of the studying session, so for her to be acting this out of character all of sudden…Could it be? It sounded crazy even on her thoughts to think her pretty and popular tutor could be the one sending her an anonymous confession – she liked the idea a little too much.

Chae had been tutoring her for the past few months, and even before that they were already fairly close having met through some common friends at the beginning of the school year. Chaewon was smart and charming, her blank expression hiding a playful and kind person – how could she not like her immediately? They had clicked just right and Minjoo would often cling to the older Kim, wanting her company beyond the library doors and their occasional hang out sessions with their big group of friends.

Minjoo even tried to slip here and there a little flirt, to the point of their friends subtly poking fun at them, and Chaewon would play along, but it never became anything more than platonic ‘friendly’ flirting like it seems to be so common in their group – and for her personal disappointment the other girls also liked to play like this with Chaewon, especially the older ones that always cling onto her to Chaewon’s apparent annoyance…Well at least she seemed to be the only one Chaewon was so invested on ‘flirting’ back, if it serves of any consolation.

While Minjoo’s thoughts wander around, Chaewon’s fingers moved to type on her phone.

Three dots appeared on Minjoo’s phone screen.

Chaewon stopped typing, putting her phone down. A message blinking on Minjoo’s phone.

“I don’t think it’s the case”

So oddly in sync. A little too oddly to be a coincidence?

Minjoo bite back a smile. A tickling feeling filled her fingertips, demanding her to message again her admirer. Her mind working at full speed, completely ignoring all the things she should be studying, to focus on the slim chance of her crush liking her back in the same way. The words in the confession match Chaewon well, even the slightly awkward writing style reminded her of their first texts.

“what about your initials?”

Another buzz.

Definitely not a coincidence. Minjoo almost giggled to herself, a grin making its way to her face as she typed with confidence. She would never, ever again complain about having to help Sakura with her crazy ideas.

“K.C.W?”

 

She saw Chaewon’s eyes wide, making her look a lot like a surprised kitten, as she read the message. The older girl looked flustered, almost dropping her phone as she typed furiously on it – if Minjoo needed any more confirmation, now she had it.

“How do you know my name?

Sakura, I knew you’d do that! I’m killing you if you publish this!”

“not Sakura, she is playing games at home

it’s me :D ”

“WHO THE ARE YOU?!”

 

Chaewon looked like she was about to have a heart attack, and Minjoo might go into fibrillation if she can’t contain her excitement – therefore she had to do something for both of them.

Standing up, she reached out to snatch the phone out of Chaewon’s grip – she failed to, Chaewon was holding onto it for dear life. “Chae! Come on, we’re supposed to study!” This seem to work well, albeit the other didn’t let go of the device, she also stood up, gingerly putting her phone away – on the safety of her backpack.

“There are a couple of books I think we could use on the last row, but they’re a bit heavy so we should check if they’re the right ones before bringing it here.” She said with a sheepish smile that wouldn’t fool anyone except a stressed looking Chaewon, like it was the case in the moment.

Luckily for her, this Chaewon was way too distracted to even question what kind of book they would get there, when they both knew this certain row didn’t have anything but old, mostly religious, history books – the reason why no one ever visits this part of the library.

The older girl followed her with heavy steps, a sigh leaving her lips. Minjoo’s grin only became wider, confused and sulky Chaewon was becoming her favorite – or it would be better to just say that ‘Chaewon who likes her back’ was her favorite Chaewon independent of how moody she could get. “What’s with the frown? Anything happened?” Again, it was a miracle Chaewon didn’t notice the teasing in her voice.

“Nothing really.” Chaewon shook her head slightly to get rid of the said frown, forcing a smile. “And you? You seem too happy for someone who is about to cram calculus for 2 hours.”

“You’re the one that is smiling less than usual, spending all your time on your phone.” Clicking her tongue, Minjoo tugged into her hand, clasping it to force her to match the younger’s quick pace. “I just want to get some learning done today.”

“Sorry about that. It was just…Me being stupid.” Chaewon muttered under her breath the last part, although Minjoo was still able to catch it.

The younger Kim squeezed her hand lightly, turning to smile at her. “You’re never stupid, so I don’t think you need to worry about that.”

Reaching the row located at the more isolated area of the library, Minjoo checked the other rows for anyone else, but gladly found them empty – talk about luck –, before pulling Chaewon to the end of it, claiming the books she needed were the ones closest to the wall.

Chaewon’s sharp brain must’ve finally catch up with reality, as the girl read the labels at the sides of the books and shot Minjoo some questioning looks. “Are you sure we’re in the right place, Min?”

“Never been more sure of anything.” Pulling her by the hand, not allowing Chaewon to grab one of the thick books on the shelves, she gently pushed the shorter girl towards the wall. “K.C.W.” She mouthed, raising her eyebrows playfully as she watched the girl’s expression quickly change from confusion to something close to panic – the gayest one. Minjoo didn’t give her time to say anything, her hands resting comfortably on Chaewon’s shoulders, pressing it lightly to keep her in place as she leaned in to peck her lips with her own.

She wouldn’t do such a bold thing usually, it wasn’t like her, but it wasn’t everyday she received a sweet confession from someone she actually liked for a change. It didn’t help that Chaewon looked so ridiculously cute with that slightly grumpy pout and a blue beanie on top of her head – there was only so much Minjoo could handle.

Chaewon’s lips were soft and a bit cold under hers, but she couldn’t taste them for long. It was just a peck, she didn’t want to overstep the limits, at least not until Chaewon was fully into it too – it was foolish of her, after all she could feel Chae’s hands on her hips bringing her back before she had the chance of pulling away completely.

The contact became a little more intense as the brunette kissed her back, and suddenly Chae’s lips didn’t seem cold at all – perhaps because she could feel her warm breath against her face now, or maybe because she could herself melting on the inside, either way she liked it much better. Chaewon pressed their lips together, her hands hugging her and pulling her close, involving her completely in her warmth. Minjoo wasn’t sure when, but her own hands found the way to the older girl’s nape, lacing her by the neck and loving the feeling of the soft skin underneath her fingers. She could sense the scent of mint and something else, but her mind couldn’t process it when Chaewon’s insistent lips demanded her attention.

She sighed happily, allowing the contact to become deeper. Chaewon kisses like she teaches: sometimes a little bit rushed, but always caring and gentle – at least to her –, and Minjoo wouldn’t want it any other way.

When she pulled back, Chaewon still had her eyes closed. “Is this better than a smile? I can give you both.” Minjoo was probably grinning like a fool again, and perhaps it was far from being the best look to give to your crush, but she didn’t mind it.

The older brunette was still a little surprised, she blinked, her gaze going intuitively to the younger’s lips before a light blush graced her cheeks and she forced herself to look up, meeting Minjoo’s chocolate eyes. “You’re the one that helps Sakura with the account.” Chaewon said as a matter of fact, feeling dumb for not noticing earlier. A small, awkward chuckle left her lips, before her tongue touched them unconsciously – Minjoo’s eyes were dark like chocolate, but she also tasted like it.

Minjoo nodded, still resting her hands around Chaewon’s neck as if they belonged there. “You didn’t answer my question, though.”

“I…” It was Chaewon’s turn to smile – more like smirk –, her hands gripping on the back of Minjoo’s black sweater, keeping her close. “I’m not sure. Can you show me that again? I think it may be better now.”

The stupidly happy grin on Minjoo’s face was interrupted by Chaewon’s kiss and the girl couldn’t be any gladder.

Chae lightly nibbled on her bottom lip, her tongue soothing it as she deepened the kiss with much more control and confidence this time. Minjoo cling even more to her, her nails lightly scratching the older girl's nape, going up to reach her scalp caressing the soft hair there.

They only broke the kiss when her head was light and her heartbeat all over the place, the air knocked out of her lungs. Still she didn’t care about any of it, the stupid grin still on her face as Chaewon planted a couple of quick, gentle kisses on her lips, her hands caressing the lower of her back keeping her in the safety of her arms – not that there was anything to worry about there…Almost.

“What are you two doing?! Get out, now!” The elderly lady who manages the place yelled at them, making both girls look at her with wide eyes.

Chaewon was flustered as she apologized to the librarian, her small face pink with embarrassment – still she didn’t let go of her hand, apologizing for her reckless behavior and for dragging her 'girlfriend' with her.

It was funny how no one ever visits that part of the library, yet they were caught by the librarian before they even had the chance of having a proper make out session. Perhaps even her luck today had it’s limits. It seems like they would have to move their study sessions back to her room after getting kicked out of the library…Correction, maybe her luck today was the best.

Minjoo could die of happiness – she  also couldn’t care less for being scolded by the old lady. She made sure to take Chaewon to grab some food, finishing her luck streak with the date she always wanted.

 


 

Chaewon only checked her phone hours later, after coming back home from a long day of no studying and only dating – her parents wouldn’t be proud of her, but she was over the moon in the moment.

At least until her phone vibrated in her pocket: nothing less than the confessions account messaging her again. She expected a playful reply from her…Whatever her and Minjoo were in the moment, girlfriends? She liked the sound of it.

With a smile, she opened the notification.

“Congratulations on your date! I heard you enjoyed it ;)

Btw, we’re still publishing this cute thing here :D”

“Minjoo, delete it. I’m serious.”

“hello, Serious Chaewon, this is Sakura and I’m publishing it 8D!”

 

And as expected of Sakura, it was there with her initials included, pinned on the top of her page before Chaewon could curse her.

Almost as quickly, Minjoo’s reply popped on Chaewon’s timeline – with a picture of the two of them together…Kissing, nothing less. When Minjoo even took that?

Chaewon was utterly embarrassed, but also pretty satisfied with the results of her clumsy confession.

 

 


 

A/N: I know it , but let's pretend it doesn't.

Happy belated birthday to my friend Guka, this is not good enough to be a bday gift, but that’s it.

Prompt by: YeNaa6969 on twitter, thank you for allowing me to write it and I’m sorry if it’s not that great!

Also, thanks to Dyra who was the one that showed me (and everyone else) on 2kim’s discord server and Tam for helping me with the title!