Sweeter Than Soda

No Matter What

Description: Minjoo is not one to act on impulse, but there is always a first time for everything. Seeing a cute, flustered Chaewon was a great incentive. 

 

A/N: Hello there. I was a little hesitating about this one, since it’s similar to another story in this collection, but the prompt was nice and I couldn’t help it, and well take it as a small gift since Iz*one is back! Good read!

 


 

“Are you going to tell me or not?” Minjoo insisted for what seemed like the ninth time that evening.

The brunette was sitting beside her friend at the backyard of Eunbi’s house, one of the few places that wasn’t crowded with drunkards at the moment – at least until someone finds a way to sneak in and then their peace would be over. When Kwon suggested a small get together, no one expected for the whole school to show up carrying all sort of alcoholic beverages, but now chaos was all over the place and the house owner was somewhere inside trying to kill someone for throwing up in one of her plants.

As for the duo of high school students, the party was just a little too wild and they agreed on hiding for now so they could talk instead. Chaewon was regretting this decision now, as Minjoo kept on pestering her with the weirdest questions.

“Are you drunk?” She asked, ignoring the question Min was so persistent about. Normally she didn’t mind Minjoo’s overly curious self, but this question in particular didn’t make her particularly happy.

The younger girl only shook her head in a negative, raising her nearly empty plastic cup for Chaewon to see. “Eunbi would only let me drink Sprite.”

“Yeah, I know.” Making a face, Chae looked down at her own cup also filed with soda. She wasn’t big at drinking neither, but there was something very annoying about being treated like a child by her cousin who was only a couple of years older. She still could feel Minjoo’s persistent gaze on her and she knew that the younger wouldn’t leave her alone, no matter how hard she tried changing subjects. “I’m not sure about how to explain. It’s weird and kind gross, I guess?”

Min’s expressive face reacted right away, a mix of surprise and disappointment as she stared at the redheaded. When she asked Chaewon to help her to learn more about kissing – because she had seen an awful lot of kisses inside the house that night and her curious mind couldn’t help but wonder –, she wasn’t expecting such a terrible description, although she had to admit it made sense to an extent. “Gross? Come on, Chae! I mean, I know some are a bit...Ew.” She scrunched her nose in an expression of disgust, remembering one of the couples she had seen earlier and who were nearly eating each other’s face until Eunbi threw some water at them. “I know it can be sweet and nice, when done right, that’s why I’m asking you to help me.”

“You know I don’t really have much to tell about it.” The older Kim sighed, before finishing her drink and putting it aside. Truth be told she wasn’t the best person to explain about it, she had kissed two people before and none of the events went as expected – one being a so-so date that ended with an equally unexciting goodnight kiss and no promises of a second one, and the other one when a guy tried to kiss her in New Year’s eve and she started the year by slapping the crap out of him. Needless to say, she didn’t have a good memory of neither. “Do you want me to tell you what I think it should be like then?”

“You still know more than I do.” Minjoo said before nodding, with a grateful smile. Meanwhile Chaewon had her fair share of – bad – experience, Min was still to experience anything like that. One could say she was just too picky with dating, but she couldn’t bring herself to just go out with anyone, and the idea of kissing most of her admires made her shiver – it wasn’t like they were all bad, she just didn’t feel anything for them and the idea of a first kiss with no feeling at all to it was even worse than not kissing anyone...Of course, there were a few nice people, and maybe it was worth the shot, still she didn’t want to ruin the moment by rushing it. Therefore, she wanted to hear from someone she trusted and maybe it would help her to make a decision. “Tell me about what I should do.”

That talk was giving Chae a headache, for some reason she didn’t like seeing Minjoo so eager to learn about kisses, maybe because it probably meant she has her eyes on someone and Chaewon didn’t think there was anyone good enough for her around there – or anywhere, but that house full of drunk people was definitely not it. “First of all, make sure they want it too. Ask before if you need, just don’t push it.” She started, raising a finger to count down things. “Second, be sure your breath doesn’t smell like death! No one wants it. Third...Hm, just go slowly? the soul out of someone doesn’t seem very nice...I guess that’s it.” She shrugged her shoulders. This lesson was pretty useless, but that’s what Minjoo got for asking her such silly questions.

Minjoo listened attentively to everything she said, her lips forming a small pout of concentration as she nodded along. “Okay, I guess I understood.” She felt both, nervous and excited, as an idea started to form inside her head – probably due to the incredible high concentration of sugar in her brain after all that soda and the atmosphere of the calm night contrasting with all the noise coming from inside the house, and being alone with Chaewon in what seemed to be their secret place for now. “Chae, would it be okay if I ever kissed you?” The question was delivered quickly, although she managed to do it without blushing.

Chaewon was glad she finished her drink already, or she would have choked on it. “W-Why are you asking such weird things today?!” She complained, albeit the dark chocolate eyes didn’t stop staring at her, demanding an answer. Avoiding her eyes, she shrugged her shoulders once more. “It would be...Okay, I guess.” Probably a lot more than just okay, but she would never be able to say so. Minjoo was so much better than any of the people Chaewon had kissed before, not only because she was her best friend and someone she actually cared about and loved, but she was also ridiculously good looking and there was no point in pretending Chae never noticed it. Having a crush on your best friend is such a cliché and she tried her best to not fall for it, especially when Minjoo was always so popular, yet here she was now, making weird questions that made her think about ever weirder stuff. “Maybe we should go back inside...”

“My breath smells like soda.” Minjoo interrupted, there was a weird expression on her face as she was busy testing her breath by placing her palm in front of her face – something Chaewon missed due to the fact that she was still avoiding her gaze, pretending to stare at the grass and trying to keep the blush out of her cheeks. “You like soda.” Min continued, her weird words making the older finally look up, confused as to what she was talking about.

“Minjoo what are you even saying?” Chae frowned, she was starting to think there was more than just Sprite on Minjoo’s drink by how weird she was acting – the smile she received in return made her think she was right.

Placing her soft hands on old Chaewon’s face to gently hold it, Minjoo kept her dark chocolate eyes on her face, taking in a deep breath to calm herself. It was a bad idea, probably a terrible one she would regret later, but today more than ever, she wanted to take this chance and try to be impulsive for once. A perfect first kiss would probably never happen, it didn’t for Chaewon, nor to any of her other friends, but she could try to have a good one by taking the risk now. “You say it would be okay. I think it’s okay, too.” She was probably not making much sense right now, but by the way Chaewon’s chestnut orbs looked at her with surprise and a little bit of something that could only be labelled as gay panic, the girl understood what she meant.

Closing her eyes, she leaned in to give her a kiss. A simple meeting of soft lips that tasted like soda and was almost too quick for her to enjoy it properly. Yet, she felt good about it, she liked how their lips seem to fit so well, how sweet and warm it was, and how it was anything but gross.

She opened her eyes to meet Chaewon’s confused ones, the girl keeping slightly agape in a rather funny way. From all things Chae expected that night, a kiss from her friend wasn’t one of them and she was still processing it.

Raising a hand to touch her own lips, Chaewon tried to determine how she felt about this moment. It was so different from her other kisses, a single peck that shouldn’t really make her feel much, but still felt so much nicer than all the rest. For some reason her heart was racing inside her chest, making it warm and light, and she wasn’t sure she wanted the feeling to go away. “Why?”

Min watched her with attention, ready to apologize if she noticed a bad reaction, but Chaewon just looked adorably confused and if anything, it only made her want to kiss her all over again. Caressing her face lightly, she gave her a smile. “I thought about all people I could kiss and which ones I didn’t feel uncomfortable about the idea, and the ones I liked enough to try it...I could only think of you as both.”

“Oh…Okay.” Was all the older could answer, overwhelmed by this sudden confession. Minjoo was too much to her senses at the moment, from the warm gaze, to the gentle hands and the lips that were still so close to the point she would only need to lean in a bit to touch with hers...Min’s sweet voice just made it a little too much for Chaewon’s heart. Of course, Minjoo was just too good and pure to this world, her simple, yet good logics made more sense than Chaewon’s failed method of just ignoring her feelings and focusing on more ‘realistic’ possibilities.

“Okay?” Now Minjoo was getting a little worried, no matter how adorable she looked, it wasn’t like Chaewon to just respond like this. Maybe she indeed overstepped the limits, maybe she should have been clearer before or waited for her to…

Luckily, Chaewon interrupted her very long, and completely wrong, train of thoughts.

“I feel the same way about it…About you.” Maybe it was about time for her to make some good memories involving kisses and stop ignoring her feelings for once. If Minjoo was bold enough to try, she should do the same. “Can I kiss you back?” The straightforward request, came as Chaewon finally came to her senses.

Letting out a relieved, and a little embarrassed chuckle, the younger nodded. “Of course!”

And for once, Chaewon didn’t hesitate – and she was still a pretty adorable sight, as she gingerly hugged Minjoo to bring her in for a kiss, a small smile on her face as she finally did it.

Again, it wasn’t a proper kiss, they both still a little unsure of how to do it, lips brushing and breaths becoming one as they tried to find the perfect fit. Minjoo’s hands slipped from her face to her neck, playing with the long, soft red hair, as a smile formed on her face every time Chae’s lips come to meet hers again. One, two...A dozen of times, every time a little longer than before, a little more intimate than the last one and a little more natural. Eventually they found the perfect sync, Chae’s embrace a little tighter as the kiss got deeper and suddenly breathing wasn’t a priority for neither of them.

If before her heart was beating a little too quickly, now it had found the right pace, just like her lips learned to kiss Minjoo just in the right way. Chaewon felt her body getting warmer regardless of night breeze, a giddy feeling on her inside that could only be called happiness. Kissing Min wasn’t something she expected, but she still loved it all the same. Chaewon regretted being so stubborn before in ignoring her feelings, she regretted not giving it a try earlier, but from now on she didn’t want to have any more regrets – that’s why she kissed Minjoo until her lungs begged for air, willing to ignore the existence of oxygen to put all her feeling into the contact.

It might not have been the perfect place, maybe not even the perfect time, but it was definitely with the perfect person and Minjoo had the dumbest grin on her face when they finally break the kiss to breathe. Resting her forehead on Chae’s, she refused to let go of the comfortable embrace. Not only she felt relieved and glad to have her first kiss and it being such a good one, it put a nice skip to her heartbeat, a pleasant feeling spreading through her chest in the sweetest warmth. She could also see the same emotions reflected on Chaewon’s pretty chestnut eyes, what made it all better. “I told you it could be sweet and nice!”

Chaewon let out a small chuckle, pecking Minjoo’s lips one more time – a memory that would surely remain in her mind for a very long time, and hopefully it would be just one of many. “You were right about the nice part, but I’m pretty sure the sweetness is just due to all the soda Eunbi made us drink.” As expected, her comment made the younger laugh and she kissed the smile out of her face, feeling like she could do it for the rest of the night.

And maybe she could’ve, weren’t for a bunch of loud, annoying, drunk people who invaded the backyard to bring the party to this part of the house too – and a very angry Eunbi screaming at them as well.

Their kiss was cut short as they were forced to help Eunbi to handle all the unwanted guests, and later on they had help to clean up all the mess. But it was okay, they did it all together, exchanging smiles and occasional touches every once in a while.

By the end of the night, when it was finally time to head home, they did it together as well, hand in hand as they walked through the almost empty streets and had to rush to make sure they arrived before Minjoo’s curfew – they were five minutes late, but it was okay because they spent ten more kissing in front of Minjoo’s house in the longest goodnight kiss ever.

 

 


 

A/N: If you read ‘till here, thank you! I know it’s not much, but I did it in my free time and I guess we could use some fics in this drought…Iz*One is back and hopefully this tag will be fully alive again! I can’t wait to see our girls, especially 2kim uwu

The prompt is by my friend Guka, thanks again for everything!

Sorry about any mistakes, see you next time!