2: An Unbelievable Mistake

Many Lifetimes in a Moment of Time
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Thank you guys for coming." A tall girl hugs her two guests on this chilly winter night.

 

Three woman stand right outside of a quaint little bakery. The other businesses around them have already locked up and turned off their lights, but the shop is still open. The nearly full moon and light drizzle of snow creates for a romantic night, if it wasn't so cold.

 

"It's no problem, Sooyoung." The shortest, but oldest, Joohyun, hugs her body. If the scarf that covered half her face and a beanie covering the other half wasn't a clear enough indicator, she struggled with the cold the most.

 

"So what did my best friend do now?" Seulgi isn't nearly as sensitive to the cold, but her red cheeks and nose would convince everyone otherwise.

 

"No! She didn't do anything! She is great. It's just…" Sooyoung lets the rest of her sentence trail off.

 

"What's wrong?" Joohyun's voice was muffled, but this late night had no other sound distractions.

 

"I just wonder if she is tired of our relationship." There was a hint of weakness in Sooyoung's voice, but it was surprisingly strong for confessing that her relationship might be on the edge.

 

"What?! Why do you say that? She loves you!" Seulgi couldn't believe her best friend would fall out of love with Sooyoung.

 

"I think so too! But…"

 

"Not to hurry you up, but please, it's cold." Joohyun was doing small hops from one leg to the other to stay active.

 

That elicited a small laugh from Sooyoung. "Sorry. I believe Seungwan loves me, but at the same time, it feels like I'm putting in all the effort into this relationship. Everytime I do something, she does her best to reciprocate, but it feels like if I don't start it, we would go nowhere." Sooyoung started slow, but slowly got more frantic, and by the end, she had her bare hands ruffling up her hair in frustration.

 

"You know what, I'm probably imagining it. Forget what I said. Come in for some treats and drinks.

 

Sooyoung turned to head inside, she was starting to feel cold as the residual heat from being indoors was wearing off. The only thing that stopped her was Seulgi hugging her from the back. This turned Sooyoung around.

 

"Hey, I love my best friend, but we love you too. You deserved to be loved and if Seungwan isn't the one to do it, you deserve better."

 

"So, you want us to figure out why she is acting like this?" Joohyun managed to get out through chattering teeth.

 

"I know it's a little underhanded, but every time I ask if there is anything wrong, she denies it. You guys are her long time friends so I thought maybe she would open up to you two."

 

Joohyun and Seulgi looked at each other. The whole situation seemed impossible. They had known Seungwan for a long time. She was the one who got hurt in relationships. She was the one who gave more than she received, at least until Sooyoung came along. Their relationship started out like most of Seungwan's relationships where she gave more, but then Sooyoung started to return Seungwan's love equally. They thought they were soulmates. They wanted to fix this as much as Sooyoung did.

 

"We'll help."

 

Sooyoung flashed a bright smile. The worry must have really been getting to her. Sooyoung then hugged them.

 

"Thank you sooo much! I'll be helping a new employee in the back, so you guys should have enough privacy."

 

Sooyoung led the two into the small bakery. Light blues and greens painted the walls giving an airy feel to it. Soft music, barely heard over the machines and lights, lulling the spirits who enter it into a relaxation state.

 

Every knick knack, painting, and trinket have been carefully selected by the two owners, Sooyoung and Seungwan. Some items bought to match the atmosphere, but the rest of the items were bought from a couple of the adventures they have spent together. Sooyoung and Seungwan may not have a baby together, but the bakery was the closest thing, the best of both of them in one place.

 

The door chimes to warn the people inside of their arrival. Not a soul was at the front of the bakery, but a peeking head from the back became visible.

 

"Joohyun-Unnie? Seulgi? You guys are here!? I'll be with you in a second!"

 

Sooyoung motioned for the guests to find a place to sit. There weren't many choices to choose from, a couple of booths and a couple of tables that can seat four people max. The bakery was more of a get-n-go rather than a sit-n-stay. One day, they hope to get a bigger place so they can entertain guests more directly, but they do a good job with what they have and their regulars would agree.

 

Joohyun and Seulgi situate themselves in the corner booth, furthest away from the backroom hoping to create an isolated area for them to talk. Sooyoung headed towards the backroom and when she crossed paths with her co-owner, she wrapped Seungwan into a hug and kissed on her forehead. Joohyun and Seulgi could see the smile grow on Seungwan's face as she leaned into hug and said a few words before heading over to the booth where her friends were sitting.

 

"Hey guys! It's nice to see you."

 

"Hey Seungwan."

 

"It's so good to see you."

 

Seungwan happily greeted her close friends with a smile and wave before sitting on the opposite side Joohyun and Seulgi were sitting. She took one look at the backroom and saw Sooyoung talking with their new employee, Yeri. As if Sooyoung could tell Seungwan was watching her, she turned to give a smile telling Seungwan to enjoy herself. With that, Seungwan turned her attention back towards her friends in front of her.

 

"So, what is up with you guys! It feels like it has been weeks." Even at 11 at night, Seungwan always managed to energize the people around.

 

"Because it has been you dork! And the last time we met was here."

 

"I'm sorry! The bakery takes up too much of my time." Seungwan expressions were still as lively as ever and Joohyun loved bringing it out of her.

 

"It's okay, it's not a Seungwan hang out if we aren't pigging out on her delicious baked goods."

 

On cue, Sooyoung returned with a tray of treats and drinks Seulgi was just talking about.

 

"You know, that doesn't make me feel better." Seungwan's surprised look turned into a pout.

 

"Hey, no pouting." Sooyoung pinched Seungwan's side which elicited a giggle from her.

 

"Enjoy you guys."

 

Everyone gave their thanks as Sooyoung left, but Seungwan kept her eyes on her until Sooyoung completely disappeared. A detail neither of her friends missed.

 

"So, how is it going with Sooyoung?" It was a little on the point, but Joohyun figured it was a normal thing to ask.

 

"It's going great! A lot of customers have been becoming regulars recently. We are actually starting to look into bigger places so we can have more seats."

 

"I-" Seungwan misunderstood what Joohyun asked. She was about to correct her, but she thought it might be pointless, so she kept quiet.

 

"How about you guys?"

 

"Actually, we were wondering if you were available next Sunday. Joohyun-Unnie and I found a cafe that specializes in drinks. I know you two have been looking for ideas."

 

"Oh that sounds great! Wait… is that the 21st? Actually I have plans."

 

Joohyun and Seulgi had to fight the urge to roll their eyes. While they haven't met with Seungwan in a few weeks, it's not that Seungwan hasn't had time off from the bakery, it was that she spent all of her extra time with Sooyoung.

 

"Let me guess, date night with Sooyoung." Joohyun placed her chin in her hand and lifted an eyebrow.

 

"Yeah, how'd you… wait, Sooyoung and I aren't dating. We are just going to catch a movie and dinner together."

 

Seulgi started choking on the treat she had been munching on while Joohyun slipped from her hand and almost banged her face on the table.

 

"What did you just say?" Joohyun patted Seulgi's back and offered her her drink.

 

"Sooyoung and I are going to catch a movie and dinner on Sunday."

 

"No before that."

 

"We aren't dating?"

 

Joohyun and Seulgi couldn't believe their ears. Had the past two years been a lie, a dream? Even within the five minutes they've been there, they would guess the two were dating.

 

"You're kidding right?" Seulgi knows her friend, Seungwan has been in couple mode for at least two years.

 

"Why would I joke about that? She is a business partner and good friend, like you guys."

 

Both Joohyun and Seulgi looked over to the back room, they figured those were words Sooyoung wouldn't want to hear. When they saw that she wasn't close by, they turned back.

 

"Seungwan, you do not treat Sooyoung the same way you treat us. I've been your friend for a couple of decades now, you have never treated me the same way you treat Sooyoung." Seulgi felt like she was quite qualified to make this claim.

 

"How so?"

 

"Well, for starters, you're willing to cancel our plans for Sooyoung, but don't cancel on Sooyoung for us."

 

"That... makes me sound like a bad friend… Do I really do that a lot?"

 

"Well no, but if we are ever out and Sooyoung calls, you ask if you could leave. But we understand, because you two are dating."

 

"Well, I'm sorr

Please log in to read the full chapter