19: The Odd Couple

Many Lifetimes in a Moment of Time
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Why did I volunteer to do this? I'm so nervous."

 

Joy and Wendy sat to the side of a stage. They were adorned beautiful dresses that complimented a mutual friend's beautiful white dress who was currently slow dancing with her new husband.

 

"You are a crazy person." Joy laughed quietly to not disturb the currently romantic atmosphere.

 

"It's not funny."

 

"Wendy, they gave you like ten outs! But you were like, "You deserve everything for your special day!" Joy mockingly imitated Wendy from earlier.

 

"But they do!"

 

"Maybe, but we could have offered money or something." Joy's continued laughter isn't helping.

 

"For the next song, a good friend of mine offered to sing a song, I'm personally…"

 

"Joy-ah! What am I going to do?" Wendy was staring at her lap and breathing heavily.

 

"Sing?" Joy's laugh slowed as she finally took note of her wife's condition.

 

"... she has a voice as beautiful as her person. Thank you again, Wendy!" While the beautiful bride was finishing her introduction, Wendy placed Joy's hand on her chest and Joy could easily feel the speedy thump working against her hand.

 

"Wendy, I didn't…"

 

Wendy couldn't hear anything over the applause welcoming her presence. She walked up to the small stage and took the microphone from the bride. Joy followed to the front, but Wendy stopped her from going up. Wendy didn't give her a good look.

 

"Hello, I am Wen-" Wendy coughed. "Sorry, I'm Wendy. I met…"

 

Wendy short story took twice as long as she meant to as she stuttered and coughed her way through. Multiple times Joy pleaded with her eyes to let her go up there, but Wendy never gave her the time.

 

"...to a wonderful marriage. Please enjoy the song."

 

It was a disaster. Wendy's voice luckily didn't crack, but it was nervous as hell. Include being offbeat for half of the song and forgetting a few lyrics, and the performance was anything but beautiful.

 

As soon as the song ended, Wendy whispered a sorry into the mic before dropping it, causing a large screech from feedback. Wendy bolted straight out to the yard that surro

Please log in to read the full chapter